Water on your hair-- Rinsing the hair everyday/bad for hair?

mahogany_horizons

Is it bad for your hair if you put water on it everyday, or rinse your scalp everyday (or proably every other day)? I'm thinking of doing this in leui of a cowash because I have scalp problems, but I need to know if it will damage my hair.......by drying it out, making it brittle, or giving me too much moisture?

belleama

I shampoo 5 - 7 days a week. My hair is soft and florushing. But I do make sure I use a leave in each time.

Fine 4s

I wanted to start CW-ing everyday to see the results but that didn't work for several reasons.

One, the shower had no pressure which made it difficult to manage all of my natural hair.
Two, I couldn't manage my tangles, knots and length well
Three, the leave-in didn't moisturize or give much slip enough for me to comfortably manage my hair (Cantu Shea Butter)

So, if you want to wet your hair everyday, just make sure you have the proper moisturizing leave-in. I'd be interested to find out which leave-ins are recommended.

Mrs.Green

My hair is wet everyday. I don't think there is a problem with it as long as you moisturize and seal.:yep:

Rapunzel2B

I rinse or wet my hair everyday. I used to use cheapie conditioner to do it, but didn't like the build up or sometimes itchy scalp caused by build up. I work out everyday and really sweat a lot. I didn't want to leave the sweat in my hair so I deep condition every 3 days and co-wash with the conditioner I used to dc. I then rinse every day with water and just pin up and airdry in silk scarf. My hair is so soft and moisturized and easy to manage. I have new growth sprouting everywhere and my scalp loves it. After I rinse I just use conditioner as a leave in and I use moisturizer and seal with jojoba oil. The next day when I do my daily rinse my hair is so soft and easy to manage. I am 9 weeks and 2 days post and this has been the easiest my hair has ever been to manage with this much ng.

Miosy

It all depends on your water-hard vs. soft and all the other chemicals in your water.

My water is hard and daily washes dried my hair and had breakage :perplexed

Last edited:

mahogany_horizons

Water is moisture, also.:grin:

He he he...I know water is moisture also, I'm just wondering about drying my hair out. sounds good ladies. This might also help with my serrobric dermatitus. Water feels so good on my scalp, and I can't beleive that just 5 months ago I was going 2 weeks 8-| without washing b/c I had to rely on my mommy to do it.

But I like what I hear from all you ladies, it makes me feel like I can do it, I just need to generously use a good moisturiser. Thanks for the tip.

Since washing my hair every 5 days my scalp is thrivign, so I think water everyday could be a good thing.

Are you ladies relaxed? Cuz I am and I don't want to do anything to damage my already "chemically altered" hair.

prospurr4

When wearing my bun, I wet my hair twice a day, morning and bedtime. When I first started doing this, I thought that my hair might become overmoisturized, but on the contrary, this has really helped me retain length.

wheezy807

He he he...I know water is moisture also, I'm just wondering about drying my hair out. sounds good ladies. This might also help with my serrobric dermatitus. Water feels so good on my scalp, and I can't beleive that just 5 months ago I was going 2 weeks 8-| without washing b/c I had to rely on my mommy to do it.

But I like what I hear from all you ladies, it makes me feel like I can do it, I just need to generously use a good moisturiser. Thanks for the tip.

Since washing my hair every 5 days my scalp is thrivign, so I think water everyday could be a good thing.

Are you ladies relaxed? Cuz I am and I don't want to do anything to damage my already "chemically altered" hair.

Yeah i think it will help tremendously. Before i started my hair journey, i would barely wash my hair. My dandruff was severely bad (i know gross :perplexed). But then i joined here and began shampooing every 3-4 days, like twice a week. Now i shampoo my hair once a week. My dandruff is eliminated. Drinking water help, too.

InnerSoul

My hair is wet everyday. I don't think there is a problem with it as long as you moisturize and seal.:yep:

ITA! this is exactly what I do. I wet my hair every single day and then moisturize and seal.

Our hair thrives from water...it is a 100% moisturizer!

gmw

It is good for your scalp and hair.

I am back and forth on this only because sometimes I want to rock a twist out or a rollerset or whatever.... so for a few weeks I might only wash my hair twice a week.... However in the summer I wash my hair every day!!! Co-washing is my thing!!!

I like Suave diluted with a little honey evoo and either coconut milk... This is what my hair loves....

MonPetite

As long as your water isn't hard -it's GREAT!

A shampoo and condition DAILY.

Just make sure you use a leave-in. Water evaporates as quickly as it moisturizes!!

Rapunzel2B

I am relaxed. The water feels great on my scalp. I rinse a really long time so I have to make myself stop and get out of the shower. I make sure I use a good moisturizer and I seal with Jojoba oil.

GoingNatural

Is it bad for your hair if you put water on it everyday, or rinse your scalp everyday (or proably every other day)? I'm thinking of doing this in leui of a cowash because I have scalp problems, but I need to know if it will damage my hair.......by drying it out, making it brittle, or giving me too much moisture?

Black people associate water with dry because they associate water with shampoo. Shampoo dries out your hair not the water!

Washing with water or conditioner will not dry out your hair. Make sure to seal in the moisture after you cowash!

HTH

PeggyFair

Black people associate water with dry because they associate water with shampoo. Shampoo dries out your hair not the water!

HTH

Very good point. You should see the look on people's faces(Black folks), when I tell them I wash everyday. Then I explain that I wash with conditioner and they still are amazed.

naturalgurl

It all depends on your water-hard vs. soft and all the other chemicals in your water.

My water is hard and daily washes dried my hair and had breakage :perplexed

This is the culprit! I started back CO washing every other day and I had some shedding. Looks like I'll be investing in a shower head that softens the water! How much more money will I spend on products and "remodeling" my house for my hair!!!!

Christa438

Now, I usually co-wash daily, but I used to alternate co-washing and rinsing with water only: my head felt good and my hair still grew then. I think water is one substance that is good for your body inside and out--using it both inside and outside on a daily basis cant hurt.

morehairplease

Hi there,

I have seborrheic dermatitis, or at least I was diagnosed with it when I relaxed my hair. Now that I am natural and doing daily conditioner washes I have yet to have a flare up.

Hair Iam

Very good point. You should see the look on people's faces(Black folks), when I tell them I wash everyday. Then I explain that I wash with conditioner and they still are amazed.

I can relate to this , when I suggested someone wash 2 times per week they looked at me like :nono:

The Sweetest B

I recently joined LHCF and one of my issues was Sebhoric Dermatitus. Thankfully I only had in it in certain areas but a pain in the butt nontheless. I had to try to keep my scalp clean to help keep it at bay. The first thing I tried from this board was MN I used it for 2 weeks everyday. I have not used it for the last 2 weeks and i have no sign of Sebhoric Dermatitis

Christa438

I can relate to this , when I suggested someone wash 2 times per week they looked at me like :nono:

I can relate too. I told a relative I rinse everyday (I didn't even wanna explain co-wash), and she said "But you're black!" :lol:
I was just like "um, Dis is tru." :yep: :grin:

Aggie

I keep my hair damp most of the time myself and especially now since I started the wig challenge where I baggy under my wigs daily now. When I get home from work and remove my wig, my hair is still damp under the plastic cap. Then I would remove it for the evening and moisturize again before going to bed and baggy it all over again. My hair needs a little extra moisture right now and this actually works to restore the elasticity of my hair. I will slow this down a little when my hair regains it's suppleness.

~~HoneyComb~~

When my hair was shorter, I cowashed daily with no problems. I do however spritz my hair with water daily now that my hair is longer and I have no problems.