Wash & Set Salon/how often?

rosebud

Hi there folks!
Does anyone visit a salon on a regular and consistent basis for ALL of their wash & set and never wash their hair themselves? How often and why? What do you think is a reasonable amount to spend, say, on a weekly basis? I am toying with the idea of going every week to a Dominican Salon for my wash and set and wrap. I am thinking about having them always wash my hair so that I don't have to do it. What do you guys think? Also, someone I know with very long relaxed hair once told me that if I want my hair to grow long that I should always go and get it done...not sure that is true though.. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Allandra

Wow. If only I had the time. There just isn't enough hours in the day for me. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

adrienne0914

whether or not that's true will depend mostly on how good the stylist is that you're going to. if they're doing a repeated bad job, umm... no. ya know?

i go to the salon for my retouch three times a year, and also occasionally as a treat to myself, never on a regular basis. salons are much more expensive out here. it's $30-40 for a roller set. so it's not economically feasible for me.

adrienne

mirrormirror

I used to go to the salon every week just for a wash and set. And then I realized I can save money ($45.00) and do it myself. And it feels like my hair is doing much better since I am caring for it at home. Now I only go to my hairdresser every few months for a touch up.

pebbles

Hi Rosebud. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

* Haven't seen you post in a while. Just wanted to say hello. * /images/graemlins/smile.gif

rosebud

Thanks for the responses!!
Adrienne& Mirrormirror: WOW, it is expensive to go to salons where you are! images/graemlins/blush.gifI was looking to spend $15 to $20 per week if I take my own deep conditioner to the hair salon. Maybe I would't do that anymore because I am beginning an exercise program and will need to wash my hair more often than once a week.

Pebbles: Believe it or not, hardly a day goes by where I don't check up on you guys even it is for a minute. I enjoy this site too much and I am still learning a lot.
Islandgirl: I hope that you found all the products that you were researching and will be happy with them. images/graemlins/smile.gif

Boadicea

It really depends on where you go. I used to (for two years) go every week to a Dominican salon. My hair went from shoulder length to bra-stap length, but it cost $20 a week times 4 weeks (one month) which is $80 times however many weeks in a year (I don't even want to think about it...you're looking to be way in the thousands).

If you are in Manhattan, you can get it done for $5-10. It seems everywhere else it will cost more than $10. Here in Queens it is $20-25 dollars.

Also, unless you're into split ends, just get a wash and set, sit under the dryer with the rollers on and then let them comb it out or put it in a wrap. Only get it blown out once in awhile. And always bring your own products. Salons tend to mix different shampoos and conditioners together.

azul11

i agree. the place i go to charge 12-15 dollars for a wash and set. i have seen places for 10. i would also bring my own stuff just because it is nice to know what is being used. for myself if i would go maybe once every two weeks just so i can get my hair set. i would do condition washes and regular washes and air drying and roller set but every two weeks when it want it to look neater i probably would go to them. this is simply because i havent really mastered the roller set as yet. once i do i may not need to go but for the cost and the results i might go once in a while. God bless you all.

Tracy

I think regular visits to the salon, if it's in your budget, can be wonderful for the hair if you make sure the salon you go to practices safe hair care. Not blowing it out all the time is good advice. $20 is not too much for me to spend on my hair each week and I do that pretty much every week. Sometimes if I go Monday through Thursday it costs $15. I do wash my hair between salon visits, but if you are comfortable with weekly washes, then I would certainly treat yourself to a nice wash and set for $20 bucks a week. You're worth it and it is a nice treat for the hair that will help it to thrive.

ms_kenesha

I only go to the salon for my touch-ups. I do this for two reasons: #1 It's $35 for a wash & set here in the DC Area #2 My hair has actually thrived with not going to the salon every two weeks (what I used to do).

karezone

I have been doing my own hair since last year. I used to go to the salon every week to get my wash and set, but because I am a college student the money to do that simply ran out. For awhile I as able to get my hair done for free through my work study job, but the girls at the beauty school need to get some more skills before they can tango with my hair. Also because of increasing fear of stylists who intentionally damage hair, I started do it myself on a more regular basis.

Paris Belle

I think it's okay if they do a good job, take good care of your hair and if it's economically reasonable.

I used to go and get it done weekly but when I became a college student that became economically impossible for me..

Also, I found myself wanting to do preshampoo and deep conditioning treatments and many of the salons that I went to didn't understand this or didn't have the time or space for it.

It became better to care for it myself. I really like to sit with a hot oil treatment for 30 min. and a deep conditioner for the same amount of time. I don't really know of any salon that would afford me the same luxury.

Also, as I got better doing my own hair and as I own a professional hair dryer but I do go to salons for touchups every 9-10 weeks.

azul11

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Also, as I got better doing my own hair and as I own a professional hair dryer but I do go to salons for touchups every 9-10 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that is why i go to them. my hooded dryer died on me and my bonnet dryer went too so i dont own a dryer nor know where to get one. i keep seeing gold n hot and i heard people say its not as good. i have been trying to find hot tool or lady dazey or whatever is good out there but i havent been able to which is why i like going for a wash and set so i can get it roller set and wrapped and have it look polished.
God bless you all.

rosebud

Thanks to all for the replies!! I really appreciate it!! I guess I will do a combination of doing my hair myself and just going more regularly to a salon to get some pampering. BTW, I don't know if this happens to any of you, but, everytime I get my hair done at the salon, I feel BEAUTIFUL and HAPPY and my hair looks more gorgeous and I can't stop looking in the mirror and shaking it!!HA HA. Isn't that something? Now I know what to do when I need that "fix"!!

Rosebud.

G

I guess in theory a Salon set should last longer than a home set, but I can't forsee going over a week without washing my hair. My sets last just as long as a salon set does, that's why I refuse to pay a salon to do a wet set for me!!

butterscotch

I go to a Dominican Salon in Brooklyn every Saturday. They charge me $15 for a wash &amp; set and I usually ask them to finish with a wrap. I bring all of my own products unless...
I'm getting a touch-up, which costs me $40 because I use Dudley's Q Sensitive Scalp and all other relaxers in the store cost $25-$35.

These prices are perfect for me because I was going to another salon in Brooklyn and they would charge $45-$60 for wash and sets and $50-$75 for touchups. A trim in that joint was $20, and even though they did it well, my Dominican mami Carmen does it for $5 and it looks great (and she doesn't try to chop all of my hair off!)

Paris Belle

You should try purchasing a professional hooded dryer from a beauty supply store that sells them. There are quite a few in Manhattan.

Also there is a really great one in the Bronx on Webster Ave (up past Fordham Road)..They have a great selection..I'm sorry but I forgot the name of the place..

butterscotch

Rosebud,

I usually tip fron $2 - $3, depnding on how tight they wrap my hair, or the end result of the roller set...Also, if I don't get a deep condition, but use the Lacio Lacio leave-in treatment instead, they will charge me about $12 then.

rosebud

Sorry, I forgot to ask you if you also tip the shampoo person. When I go to some of these salons, it is like a production line.. one person does the shampoo, another does the roller set and another may do the style/wrap.. who do you tip, all of them?

Boadicea

I'm a broke college student so I usually make sure that the person who washes my hair also does my set and wrap. In some salons it's assumed that whomever washes you hair will also set it for you once they towel dry it but if that's not the case, I give $2 to the 'shampoo girl' and the lady who does my set.

Lindy

Caramela said:
I guess in theory a Salon set should last longer than a home set, but I can't forsee going over a week without washing my hair. My sets last just as long as a salon set does, that's why I refuse to pay a salon to do a wet set for me!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, Caramela!!

Plus, they don't condition my hair as well as I do myself, at home!! (Hot oil, Reconstructor, deep conditioner, etc.!!)

Islandgirl

CarmenRose said:

Also, I found myself wanting to do preshampoo and deep conditioning treatments and many of the salons that I went to didn't understand this or didn't have the time or space for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Carmenrose, isn't it a shame that the hairdressers you went to didn't understand what a preshampoo treatment was or they didn't have time to give you a deep conditioner . Where do these people get their cosmetologist's license?

butterscotch

Rosebud,

The person I tip works on my hair from start to finish. They used to ask each other to help out their clients, but one of the girls at the salon told me that some of them got pissed off about that so they don't do it anymore. Before all of this started, I would only tip the person who did the most to my hair.