Going to a Dominican Salon

AceH

... and I'm not sure what treatment to ask for.

What do you all get done when you do to a dominican salon?

Blowout?
Wash & set?
Wrap?

TIA

Ashee

I get the wash & set... sometimes with a conditioner...
You could bring your own products & they'll use it. Some salons will not charge you for the product because you've brought your own...
If you ask for a blow out, they should still put you under the dryer in a rollerset & blow out your roots (concentration) & smooth out your ends.

If you use their stuff, they might ask you which conditioner you want: the Dominican (Homemade by Juana) Con $5 or regular more $. I don't know how the one you choose will do it, but Juana in Brooklyn asked me that before. (That was for a deep con).

P.S. Check out what they use on your hair & even ask them what it's supposed to do... That way you can get the stuff for home up keep!! ;)

-HTH

Ashee

I've been to three Dominican Salons but I've only allowed Juana's and one other on Gun Hill Road to do a Relaxer for me...
With Juana she has discounts.. LOOK FOR THE DISCOUNTS...
(FREE Deep Con w/ Relaxer = $35!)

Anyway, here they put the relaxer on VERY QUICKLY & smooth it out & rinse it off in the blink of an eye!! (I LOVE THAT)
The deep con goes in & the rest of the steps is following the Wash & Set that I told you about earlier!
They will do the blowout for you but they don't use it too often because your roots are already straightened so they don't focus there that much... It's usually a quick once over...
Most ladies wrap it up no matter if it's a wash & set, relaxer, or whatever....
BRING YOUR OWN PINS... CHEAPER
:grin: :grin:

Ashee

baglady215 said:
Ashee, what kind of pins? Bobby pins?

I believe so... The long, Black pins.. They can be found in BSS in plastic containers that look like the ones you get at the Chinese Restaurants when you buy Won Ton Soup... :look:
Not the small, skinny ones that have a wide opening at one end...
:)

AceH

Thanks ladies.

I am about 10 weeks post relaxer with a ton of newgrowth. I'm going to see what these here salons are about - they seem to be all the rage :lol:

To RECAP:

Anyway, so, I go in, they will wash and condition my hair, but they will most likely charge me for the product if I don't bring my own, right?

Also, they should set my hair in rollers and sit me under the dryer, right?

After that, they will blow out my roots and do something to get the rest of my hair straight, bouncin' & behavin', right?

After they blow out my roots, they'll wrap my hair, but I should bring my own pins, right?

Will they send me out of the door with my hair in a wrap??

Aww man, I'm convinced there is no Dominican salon in my whole STATE, so I will be in Miami next week on vacation, and I'll be visiting a Dominican salon for the first time :D

Last edited:

MomofThreeBoys

Anyway, so, I go in, they will wash and condition my hair, but they will most likely charge me for the product if I don't bring my own, right?

No, it's usually the same price whether you use their products or not. Prices vary from $20-25.

Yup!

After that, they will blow out my roots and do something to get the rest of my hair straight, bouncin' & behavin', right?

Please specify you ONLY want your root blown otherwise they will blow the whole length of your hair. Personally, I think that's to much heat and tugging on the fragile ends.

After they blow out my roots, they'll wrap my hair, but I should bring my own pins, right?

You can request this. After they get their root blown, I've seen some girls get there hair wrapped and go under the dryer for 10 more minutes. Others like to bring their pins and walk out the door with their hair wrapped.

Yes, if that's what you want. I personally like my hair to be swinging :look:when I leave the salon and I wrap it myself at home.

Aww man, I'm convinced there is no Dominican salon in my whole STATE, so I will be in Miami next week on vacation, and I'll be visiting a Dominican salon for the first time :D

Good luck!!!

Ashee

andreamaria said:
Thanks ladies.

I am about 10 weeks post relaxer with a ton of newgrowth. I'm going to see what these here salons are about - they seem to be all the rage :lol:

To RECAP:

You've GOT IT!!
Prices for services & products depends on who you go to! Don't be shocked either way!
Now, the blowout & wraps will be done if when they ask you reply "go 'head"!
They will ask you what you would like them to do...
They really good ones ask you before each step, how you would want your hair.
Before most set you, they ask where you would normally part your hair, that way they set the rollers to allow the hair to fall in that manner...
When they remover the rollers htey ask you if you would like to have a wrap... The reason for the wrap is so that you can go about your day with no reversion or frizzing in certain weather or your hair messing up before a big noght, or you might just want it up in a protective style until you're ready to let it down.
If you don't know how to properly wrap they'll show you & show you how to let it down...
Watch what tools they use as well...
The basic motions are the same no matter what salon you hit, but as usual, each stylist has his/her own way to do them...
*Note: Not all Spanish Salons are Dominican... The owner my be something else but has Dominican workers....
I found one but they are still good... Another one has a mix of Spanish Ethnicities but they learn how to handle the hair and do it right!!
THAT'S REALLY THEY KEY ABOVE ALL ELSE! Know what you're doing Ms. Stylist!!!!! :grin:
I personally EYEBALL EVERYONE... I din't care how many times I've lounged in thier chair... Everyone gets tired, but I only allow MYSELF certain SLACKNESS with my hair.... :look:

Last edited:

AceH

You ladies are great! Thank you soo much for the information! Now I feel like I can go and know what the deal really is. I'll be sure to keep an eye on them Ashee. Anybody pick up some shears or scissors, it'll be on and poppin :lol:

I'll most likely post about my experience to keep you ladies updated :yep:

Ashee

andreamaria said:
You ladies are great! Thank you soo much for the information! Now I feel like I can go and know what the deal really is. I'll be sure to keep an eye on them Ashee. Anybody pick up some shears or scissors, it'll be on and poppin :lol:

I'll most likely post about my experience to keep you ladies updated :yep:

The ones I've been fortunate to find ask me if I want to trim or not. If I say no, they let me know that I should consider it for next time... :)

Ashee

You're welcomed... & remember, if you find one that doesn't agree with you either let her know how you like your hair to be done or find a new one...

ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

AceH

Ashee said:
You're welcomed... & remember, if you find one that doesn't agree with you either let her know how you like your hair to be done or find a new one...

ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Will do :yep: This should be fun/interesting :)

RabiaElaine

Good luck when you go!!Make sure you tell them if you don't like something they are doing, don't be afraid to speak up. I love getting my hair washed and set at Dominican salons because they get my hair so smooth and straight so I don't use heat on my hair for the remainder of the week. I might use my caruso steam rollers to get bounce a few days after the salon, but the carusos don't damage my hair it actually feels healthier after, and I wrap the rollers with roller paper.

AceH

RabiaElaine said:
Good luck when you go!!Make sure you tell them if you don't like something they are doing, don't be afraid to speak up. I love getting my hair washed and set at Dominican salons because they get my hair so smooth and straight so I don't use heat on my hair for the remainder of the week. I might use my caruso steam rollers to get bounce a few days after the salon, but the carusos don't damage my hair it actually feels healthier after, and I wrap the rollers with roller paper.

confused_one

The few dominican salons i've been to, do take off about $2 or so when you bring your own products. They'll ask you if you want deep conditioner and ask which price conditioner you want (i always chose the $5). They'll set your hair put you under the dryer and when you get to the stylist chair you should then tell them that you want your roots blown, i usually got my hair wrapped with the pins after that, if you don't bring you own pins they charge you $2.00 extra. In certain stores you can get a container of 100 jumbo hair pins for as little as .99 (lady victoria) so why pay $2.00.

ps: They charge you extra for a perm depending on the length of your hair, im not sure if they do the same when they wash and wrap.

Last edited:

Ashee

confused_one said:
The few dominican salons i've been to, do take off about $2 or so when you bring your own products. They'll ask you if you want deep conditioner and ask which price conditioner you want (i always chose the $5). They'll set your hair put you under the dryer and when you get to the stylist chair you should then tell them that you want your roots blown, i usually got my hair wrapped with the pins after that, if you don't bring you own pins they charge you $2.00 extra. In certain stores you can get a container of 100 jumbo hair pins for as little as .99 (lady victoria) so why pay $2.00.

ps: They charge you extra for a perm depending on the lenght of your hair, im not sure if they do the same when they wash and wrap.

Yeah I forgot that, most salons, not just Dominicans, are now really charging for the length of ones hair... So with the glory of long hair comes the price!:eek:

L

lkg4healthyhair

I would just like to add: be prepared that they may tell you you need a relaxer since you are 10 weeks post. Again, tell them what you want :)

AceH

lkg4healthyhair said:
I would just like to add: be prepared that they may tell you you need a relaxer since you are 10 weeks post. Again, tell them what you want :)

I forgot about that! Thanks!

AceH

confused_one said:

ps: They charge you extra for a perm depending on the length of your hair, im not sure if they do the same when they wash and wrap.

Ashee said:
Yeah I forgot that, most salons, not just Dominicans, are now really charging for the length of ones hair... So with the glory of long hair comes the price!:eek:
Hmmmm... Thanks for breaking it down! Point taken about the "length" fee :yep:

MomofThreeBoys

lkg4healthyhair said:

I concur. Standard line I hear:

"Mamie Mamie..... PERM! PERM! You need PERM Mamie!!!!" :lol:

Ashee

andreamaria said:
Hmmmm... Thanks for breaking it down! Point taken about the "length" fee :yep:
Yes girl, I almost fell out when my cousin brought it to my attention... Her hair is about two inches or more longer than mine & really thick...
I was eyeing the clippers real hard! :lol:

Ashee

Yeah, and if you roll up in there with a twist- or braid-out, the unexperienced chick will tell you you need a full relaxer for virgin hair...
HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a dumb one do that to me...
I was mortified:shocked: as she past it down the length of my hair:eek: ....
Thank goodness I had friends who went with me but those girls took me there to begin with... They brought it to my attention when they began arguing :arguing: with the chick telling her she was jacking up my hair!!!:mad:
There was another stylist who saw this & stressed that it was totally wrong and took over to help the process along & to wash it out QUICK!!!...:naughty:

After that "lovely adventure" I didn't go to anyone for over three years. I then learned about Juana's and I had another friend who raved about her stylist in LI so after HEAVY RESEARCH I went ahead & took another chance... I'm glad now that I did find the good salons that I have, but NEVER again will I go ANYWHERE with out seeing at least 1 year's worth of work via pictures or when I walk into the salon... I better see a long time client with awesom hair (healthy is number one!!)

(Hope I didn't scare you with this story of mine! :look: It took a bad experience for me to know that not all of them are great but when new look for the OWNER!! That chick can't afford a bad looking "Billboard"! In the end that's what we are to stylists, their personal, walking, talking billboards that they want people to know they do great or even excellent work! :grin:)

MsKendra

:D Ashee I am going to call you the Dominican Salon expert girl!!!

I am so glad that I read this post :)

I will be visiting NYC this summer and cannot wait to have my FIRST trip to the dominican salon. Any suggestions or have any favorites???

caligirl

Is there a "nappy fee?" I'm transitioning and I know my hair is a job for my poor Mamie. I always give her a big tip so she'll keep doing my hair.

Ashee

MsKendra said:
:D Ashee I am going to call you the Dominican Salon expert girl!!!

I am so glad that I read this post :)

I will be visiting NYC this summer and cannot wait to have my FIRST trip to the dominican salon. Any suggestions or have any favorites???

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks, I just asked the poeple I know, did research, & am sharing my experiences...

I suggest Juana's :)p) in Brooklyn: 444 Snediker Ave, Brooklyn - L train is one block away on Lavonia Ave, 3 train is about 5 blocks or more away walking towards the dead end road (Lavonia Ave) 718.922.0378

There are two in the Bronx but I go with my cousin...
I will post that info tomorrow...
One is off Whiteplains Road on 233rd Street (they are small but very busy at times) - take the 2 train to 233rd & walk towards the Chase Bank
The other is on Gun Hill Road. - take the 5 train marked Dyre Avenue Last Stop, get off at Gun Hill Road exit the station on the left side.

-Enjoy NYC & IHTH!!!! ;)

Ashee

caligirl said:
Is there a "nappy fee?" I'm transitioning and I know my hair is a job for my poor Mamie. I always give her a big tip so she'll keep doing my hair.

No Nappy Fee that I know of unless they slip that onto the bill:lol:!!
I think to help me transition I'm going to have them do a Blowout every two to three weeks... (I better save up now!) :grin:

MsKendra

Ashee said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks, I just asked the poeple I know, did research, & am sharing my experiences...

I suggest Juana's :)p) in Brooklyn: 444 Snediker Ave, Brooklyn - L train is one block away on Lavonia Ave, 3 train is about 5 blocks or more away walking towards the dead end road (Lavonia Ave) 718.922.0378

There are two in the Bronx but I go with my cousin...
I will post that info tomorrow...
One is off Whiteplains Road on 233rd Street (they are small but very busy at times) - take the 2 train to 233rd & walk towards the Chase Bank
The other is on Gun Hill Road. - take the 5 train marked Dyre Avenue Last Stop, get off at Gun Hill Road exit the station on the left side.

-Enjoy NYC & IHTH!!!! ;)

Thank you very much for replying!

I have heard so much about Juana I think I know them already :D . I think I will be checking them out..I will be staying in Harlem & Manhattan so I have to ask my hubby how far BK is. Thanks again :)

Ashee

MsKendra said:
Thank you very much for replying!

I have heard so much about Juana I think I know them already :D . I think I will be checking them out..I will be staying in Harlem & Manhattan so I have to ask my hubby how far BK is. Thanks again :)

You're welcome!!
It should be less than 1 hour driving and about an hour or hour & 30 minutes from the Bronxdepending on the train you take; so it shouldn't be so bad from upper Manhattan... :grin: