Dominican Salon Reject

caligirl

Today I went to a dominican salon in hopes of a wash and set. As soon as I came in, the owner was like "Mommie, perm, you need perm!" I told him that I used to get a perm (12 months ago) but now I would just like a wash and set. After talking about me (in Spanish) he told me to come back on a day when the salon is normally closed because it would take too long to do my hair. Transitioners and naturals, beware. You may get turned away at the door.

Healthb4Length

Dang I can't believe he was so rude! Sorry you had to go thru that but look at it this way, he was probably doing you a favor! Red flags go up on that one...find another Dominican salon asap! This is one of the reasons why I don't like going to Dominican salons, it's my experience that everytime I go someone's ALWAYS pressuring me to do a relaxer...it can be triffling(sp).:ohwell:

chocolate01

Girl I had something similar happen to me when I got a blowout in Feb. The stylist starts talking about me in spanish im guessing because of how much new growth I had. I was so offended, I would have said something but I doubt she would have understood what I said.

Carlie

caligirl said:
Today I went to a dominican salon in hopes of a wash and set. As soon as I came in, the owner was like "Mommie, perm, you need perm!" I told him that I used to get a perm (12 months ago) but now I would just like a wash and set. After talking about me (in Spanish) he told me to come back on a day when the salon is normally closed because it would take too long to do my hair. Transitioners and naturals, beware. You may get turned away at the door.

:rofl::lachen:Unbelievable! :nono:

caligirl

sweetpeadst said:
Aaahhhhhhhhhh poor dear! I can beleive they told you that! Is your that long and thick??

I think I have enough hair to make two good sized wigs! It reaches down to my brastrap. They were probably most worried about the texture because they started feeling all in it to see how coarse/nappy it is.

cocopuff

This is one of the reasons that I am hesitant about going to a Dominican Salon. My hair is thick 3c/4a and I have alot of hair. I have been to Dominican Salons to just pick up hair products and have had people look at me funny when they see my hair. I might not ever get to go to a Dominican Salon because I don't think they have the patience to do my hair and I am not looking to get a perm anytime soon.

jainygirl

I'm glad you left. Remember this, you aint NEVA supposed to have to beg somebody to take your money. That was just rude. He wasnt doing you a favor, you were gonna pay him for a service. Alot of times they -- stylists--like to act as if they forgot how all that REALLY works.

Good thing you left, sounds like you would have left with a freshly done touchup and who knows what else once he got you into the chair. I've heard horror stories about people having 'reluctant' stylists in their hair who ended up leaving the shop looking a hot mess. Mostly because the stylist had an "oh yeah?? I'll show you" attitude. -- jainygirl

caligirl said:

Last edited:

aqualung

caligirl said:
he told me to come back on a day when the salon is normally closed because it would take too long to do my hair. Transitioners and naturals, beware. You may get turned away at the door.

At least he informed you of his limitations instead of ripping through it in a rush.

You still have all your hair. ;)

Next time, inform them that you're a natural and tell them your hair type during the phone consultation. It'll save you the run around.

1Specialk

caligirl said:

I don't see anything too rude, but that's me :perplexed . You have to remember that it is a business and they are trying to wash and style as many heads as possible within an hour or more. Twice as much time or more would be spent doing your hair when he could have completed 2 or 3 heads. It's a business and it's all about making the most money in the least amount of time. Me, I would prefer to go when they're less busy and not in a rush, less pulling my hair out and more gentle detangling.

Ashee

caligirl said:
Oh HELL NO!!!
He didn't want your money or they didn't know how to work with your hair!!
What about all those Spanish chicks that roll up with wild hair... They throw some water up in that bad boy & tame it!!
He just didn't want to get paid!!
Maybe he met his quota!! :lol:

Ashee

cocopuff said:
This is one of the reasons that I am hesitant about going to a Dominican Salon. My hair is thick 3c/4a and I have alot of hair. I have been to Dominican Salons to just pick up hair products and have had people look at me funny when they see my hair. I might not ever get to go to a Dominican Salon because I don't think they have the patience to do my hair and I am not looking to get a perm anytime soon.

The right one is out there!!
:)
But don't go anywhere if you're nervous that they will jack up your hair! :look:

Ashee

One other thing, try to detangle your hair at home... That way they only see a done do.
This helps them to see your hair & how it should look...
I try not to go to a salon with my hair looking too crazy. Most good stylists will tell you what you might need, but they won't force it. They would also know how to wash your hair & give it a great look, some do try & "calm down" the roots by blowdrying them...
;)

caligirl

jainygirl said:
I'm glad you left. Remember this, you aint NEVA supposed to have to beg somebody to take your money. That was just rude. He wasnt doing you a favor, you were gonna pay him for a service. Alot of times they -- stylists--like to act as if they forgot how all that REALLY works.

Good thing you left, sounds like you would have left with a freshly done touchup and who knows what else once he got you into the chair. I've heard horror stories about people having 'reluctant' stylists in their hair who ended up leaving the shop looking a hot mess. Mostly because the stylist had an "oh yeah?? I'll show you" attitude. -- jainygirl

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of...a "miscommunication" and all of a sudden I've got a relaxer on my head. I would have been thru!

caligirl

1Specialk said:
I don't see anything too rude, but that's me :perplexed . You have to remember that it is a business and they are trying to wash and style as many heads as possible within an hour or more. Twice as much time or more would be spent doing your hair when he could have completed 2 or 3 heads. It's a business and it's all about making the most money in the least amount of time. Me, I would prefer to go when they're less busy and not in a rush, less pulling my hair out and more gentle detangling.

Yes, I agree. I would slow up the factory line they have going. I even offered to come back later, but he was like no come on Sunday.

aquarian1252004

Wow I am REALLY sorry to hear this. I was thinking of treating myself to a Dominican Blowout once I reach my length goal. I guess not :(, but how dare they tell you that you need a perm :nono:.

CatSuga

Overlapping?

Ashee

aquarian1252004 said:
Wow I am REALLY sorry to hear this. I was thinking of treating myself to a Dominican Blowout once I reach my length goal. I guess not :(, but how dare they tell you that you need a perm :nono:.

Everyone has different experiences. Just find your salon & see how they are.
You two might not even be heading to the same place...
There are too many knowledgeable Dominican Salons that have been a godsend when the Black Salons didn't know how to work with our hair... :ohwell:

Ashee

Carlie said:
That was my 1st thought when I saw this pic! :lachen:If that was my head, she definitely wouldn't have been smiling!:nono:
Is the stylist posing?? Is that the proper stance to apply a perm?? :look:

azul11

Ashee said:
Everyone has different experiences. Just find your salon & see how they are.
You two might not even be heading to the same place...
There are too many knowledgeable Dominican Salons that have been a godsend when the Black Salons didn't know how to work with our hair... :ohwell:

I was about to say the same thing. The places I have gone have been nothing but professional and nice. God bless you all.

FashionistaNY

When I wore braids and weaves for about 3 years, i went to Max Beauty Salon on 151st & Amsterdam Avenue for a wash n set and they turned me away.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. :( Reading things like this discourages me from going to the Dominican Salon. :nono: