Waist Length Challenge 2015

iLurk

think i narrowed down what may be causing setbacks for me. so im changing my regimen one final time. if this doesnt work, i might become one of those women who believe their weave is their real hair :ohwell:

ImanAdero

I don't think I'll be adhering to a strict regimen this year.

Again, I'm going for hair fun.

I haven't washed my hair in at LEAST 2 weeks... It desperately needs it, but when I get to it, I'll do it...

When I DO wash my hair though, I NEED to do a two step protein treatment. My hair doesn't feel strong and my curls could use a little bit of oomph.

I also think I'm gonna get braids this month... The question is: do I attempt to do it myself or get it professionally done? It will last longer if I get them done professionally, but I don't feel like coughing up money to get them done. I'm trying to save to move out... We'll see.

jprayze

End of the year LC. Just about 2 inches from MBL so I will try to get there by April and continue toward WL from there!

What has helped retention for me in the past is buns and DCs. So I will be bunning more and DC more.

image-2389363694.jpg

sgold04

I've been wearing my hair straight for 2 months, but I'm back in crochet braids next week. I'll keep my hair crocheted until mid-may (different installs of course). If I trim an inch just once, I SHOULD be WL around sept or oct.

ImanAdero

Washed today (finallyb) it has literally been 3 weeks since my last wash. I did the 2 step treatment as then followed the protein part with SSI Avocado Conditioner.

Hair feels awesome. Just will have to Moisturize and seal these twists throughout the week. Then I'll wear in a twist out in like 5 days.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Today is deep condition day for me. I'm about to slather my hair in coconut oil and conditioner and let her "brine" for two hours.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Question of the Week: Is your hair currently the longest its ever been? If so, what was the longest before this?

So yesterday was a nice full wash day. I did my second protein treatment this month. I am doing protein treatments with Komaza Protein Strengthener every two weeks to see how that affects my retention. In between I will dc my hair in twists.

think i narrowed down what may be causing setbacks for me. so im changing my regimen one final time. if this doesnt work, i might become one of those women who believe their weave is their real hair :ohwell:

iLurk what do you think is causing the setbacks?

krissyhair

Question of the Week: Is your hair currently the longest its ever been? If so, what was the longest before this?

This is not the longest my hair has ever been. It is apl now. But it was bsl in August and September before I finally evened it out.

MsKinkycurl

At WL my hair is the longest it has ever been. It has been retaining consistently for a couple years now but my last length plateau was APL. I had salon damage that to years to grow out and cut off.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Mbl was the longest my hair has ever been. I was relaxed back then. Now I am Apl, but my hair is much more beautiful as a natural. I am in love with my hair.

Last edited:

MsKinkycurl

What did you have done at the salon that gave you the damage? MsKinkycurl

Bunnyhaslonghair

I asked for a protein treatment but I'm convinced that she put something else in my hair because when I washed my hair a week later the whole bathroom smelled like relaxer and my hair was straighter than it was when I got a kiddie perm as a kid.

I went to a one of those small ghetto salons where every negative black salon experience stereotype happens. My sister recommended the hairdresser to me but she was crazy. I tried to talk my family out of going back to her then my mom when to her with a head full of natural hair to get a relaxer. This woman only put relaxer on 2-3 inches on her roots. Half of her SL hair broke off to a few inches within 6 months. Sorry for the rant , this lady cause me a 2.5 year set back and I haven't been back to salon since January 2011 when it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Joigirl

My hair is not quite as long as it was before my first relaxer at age 16. My hair was nearly waist length at that time. I am between BSL and MBL, but I haven't had a serious haircut since my BC so my length is very uneven. I am fine with that because I haven't straightened my hair in 2.5 years.

iLurk

So yesterday was a nice full wash day. I did my second protein treatment this month. I am doing protein treatments with Komaza Protein Strengthener every two weeks to see how that affects my retention. In between I will dc my hair in twists.

@iLurk what do you think is causing the setbacks?

Main thing I think is usage of sulfur products. I had a bottle of mtg from years back that i decided to use up but my hair would get matted up regardless of how well i tried to keep it tangle and i shed a lot too. So when it came to detangling my hair not only did i have a bunch of shed hairs but i think there could have been some breakage in there too and growth benefits i might have gotten from it was negated by it.

2. Too much manipulation. I usually wear braidouts but i pretty much was braiding up my hair every night to keep the curls cause pineappling just doesnt work. Was also taking my hair down a lot and braiding it back up just to moisturize

3. Might be possible i'm getting too much protein too. I usually do a light protein treatment after every wash but before a dc but i did this every week add in the fact i also do a heavy protein treatment every 6 weeks now.

Also think i have to moisturize more often. Would usually do it every other day but I think my hair feels even better if i do it every day.

Longest my hair has ever been I think has been bsl

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density

I think this is the longest my hair has ever been since I was a little girl. My hair was past my shoulders, but not by much.

snoop

I think this is the longest my hair has ever been since I was a little girl. My hair was past my shoulders, but not by much.

This is the longest mine had ever been -- grazing BSB. Before this my hair was neck length at its longest and not for lack of trying.

caliscurls

No, before I chopped off my relaxed ends in June 2014 it was MBL. Now it's sitting at BSB and scraping MBL. This year is going to be the year of length!

MkLaShay

I'm In!
Ultimate Goal:Tailbone
Regimen: My hair is currently flat ironed and since I hadn't straightened my hair in 3 years, I'm wearing it like this til the wheels fall off:drunk: I think I'm switching my regimen up this year. My hair seems to like low manipulation styling, so I'm cutting my washes down to every 2 weeks. I'll cleanse, deep condition under my steamer, and apply my leave in and seal with a heavy oil or butter. My hair loves to be stretched too, so I'll be doing more roller sets, twists, braids, and a few mini twist sets. I'll do the greenhouse method a few times a month and try to henna every few months.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 4.5-5
Natural/Relaxed/Other: 4a Natural
Tips/Tricks: Frequent deep conditioning and low manipulation
Issues or difficulties you're having: Feel like I've been stuck at bsl forever:angry2:...At least in the back. My hair in the front grows a lot faster than the back.
These are my starting pics. I was at MBL, but after my trim, I'm back to BSL

Attachments

• 20141228_202240_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    20141228_202240_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 2014-12-23 22.24.01.jpg
    2014-12-23 22.24.01.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 2014-12-29 00.45.05.jpg
    2014-12-29 00.45.05.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 93

snoop

I realized that I didn't post a starting pic for this year. I will hit BSB at line 4 and BSL/MBL at line 6.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150105_113127.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150105_113127.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 81

ezina

I noticed that I didn't put up any stats (nor posted much) when I joined this thread back in 2013. :rolleyes:

Ultimate Goal: Super thick all-even hemline WL
Regimen: It's currently being re-worked. Ideally, co-wash 1x a week, henna 1x month, shampoo 1x a month.
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 4-5 inches (measured last week)
Natural/Relaxed/Other: Natural
Tips/Tricks: Leaving my hair alone
Issues or difficulties you're having: Boredom and impatience; styling

Attached is my comparison shot from September to December. If I can retain and grow at this rate, I'm almost certain I will reach WL in 2015.

Yup, though my hair was about my current length in September but very uneven, so I had it trimmed. Before my hair journey, the longest I'd accomplished was shoulder length.

Attachments

• September 2014 - January 2015 Length Check (Flat Iron).jpg
    September 2014 - January 2015 Length Check (Flat Iron).jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I'm grazing BSL currently. My hair was this length as a little girl for about five minutes until my mom put a relaxer in it. :(

It was this length right before I started to transition or sometime during my long term transition and now I'm back grazing BSL. my goal this year is to PASS it finally.

PlainJane

I noticed that I didn't put up any stats (nor posted much) when I joined this thread back in 2013. :rolleyes: Ultimate Goal: Super thick all-even hemline WL Regimen: It's currently being re-worked. Ideally, co-wash 1x a week, henna 1x month, shampoo 1x a month. How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 4-5 inches (measured last week) Natural/Relaxed/Other: Natural Tips/Tricks: Leaving my hair alone Issues or difficulties you're having: Boredom and impatience; styling Attached is my comparison shot from September to December. If I can retain and grow at this rate, I'm almost certain I will reach WL in 2015. Yup, though my hair was about my current length in September but very uneven, so I had it trimmed. Before my hair journey, the longest I'd accomplished was shoulder length.

Lovely hair especially since the longest you had was SL! How do you usually style it?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Decided to cocleanse my twists with Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse. Moisturized and sealed with a nice butter on the ends of the twists.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Cowashed with some conditioner I need to get rid of layered Aussie Moist. I then M&S and put 6 celies in my head. I'm experiencing a lot of breakage right now along the line of demarcation between my natural hair and my keratin treated/heat damaged hair. I don't know what to do. I'm currently in a no scissors challenge.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I put on my length check tee earlier and I am at line 6. Waist is line 12...

I am 6 inches away :yay: Now if I could just double my growth rate this year I can get there. Last year I only grew 3 inches

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Ultimate Goal: Hip or tailbone length
Regimen: In the works...will update later
How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: About 4
Natural/Relaxed/Other: Natural
Tips/Tricks: Wish I had some
Issues or difficulties you're having: Being consistent with length checks and taking pictures.

ezina

Lovely hair especially since the longest you had was SL! How do you usually style it?

Thank you, PlainJane! I usually keep my hair in a bun. It's what got me to the length I am now. However, now I'm thinking of switching over to a more hardcore PSing like sew-ins just for this year.

iLurk

good news my shedding has decreased dramatically after i got rid of the sulfur. idk whats going on with the back of my head though it seems like the sides are gtowing in at a faster rate than any other part of my head