Update on Shedding

sunshinelady

It takes up to six months for shedding due to stress to begin. So, some of this could be from intense stress from last year.

Inches411

White at the end of the hair where it breaks, not the bulb from the scalp is an indication of heat damage. I remember my beautitian from back in the day telling me how she can tell I had over used my curling iron, "you are hatching little eggs on the end of your hair"

I never really knew what she was talking about until now!! WOW Go Marsha!

I just found this interesting article when I did a google on white ends of hair (not the bulb from the root)...

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Trichorrhexis nodosa[/FONT]
This is an explosion of the cortex at a single point on the hair. It looks like a tiny white bead on the hair, and can lead to hair breakage. It is a classic sign of cosmetic and chemical over-treatment of the hair. So its appearance should always prompt the thought, 'What is this person doing to the hair more than the rest of us are doing?

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_74.htm;jsessionid=XEMOVSH2GZJAJQFIAJ4S0IOAVABHOLKJ
Scary stuff !!!

i dont get this how woudl there be a white bulb where the hair breaks.. the only reason the hair bulb is white is because its from inside scalp and doesnt have any color...

Ivonnovi

Somewhere earlier, I heard that this could also be caused by not properly drying the hair and water in the hair exploding/bursting....or something like that. This is one of the reasons that I try to avoid the blowdryer, I know I'm prone to misuse that one tool.

The Savvy Sistah

Oh boy I needed this thread. Thanks everyone for your input.

I have been shedding so much.

I have been leaving in my hair in cornrows for 2 weeks at a time under my wig and not taking my vitamins so I know these a are a few of the reasons why I have alot of shedding.

But I also think I've been doing to much to my hair. I'm going to stop baggying my hair so much and deep conditioning (2-3x per week), and just enjoy my hair.

I have also been under a little stress lately and I need to step up my vitamins and drink more water.

I did a protein treatment today, deep conditioned, brushed my hair with my new Denman D3 brush and I finished it off with a little leave-in conditioner, Long aid gel and Fantasia IC and put it in a bun (no cornrows) and my hair feels great. I'm going to see what it does in a few days when
I con-wash.

So I can dry my tears :cry:now and press on.

about 4 years ago i had the some what of the same problem. i had several bald spots in my head, severe breakage and eventually i did have to cut. i started paying better attention to my hair, but nothing worked me. i had always had long health hair but stress, over processing, heat, and a very poor diet made it fall out. but it's back now and here's what worked for me...prayer, i had someone lay hands on me and pray for my hair,i also go some olive oil prayed over it and had my mother annoint my scalp, with out that i know i would have never been able to even think about growing my hair out. we can pray and believe God for ANYTHING!!! even our hair, God said to cast all our care on Him, not just the ones we think are major. Ladies just prayer about this give it to God and watch Him work this thing out for you. i'll be a testimony for that and as my pictures are posted every one will see that my God is able!!!!!:)

I thought I was the only one who felt like this... confirmation!

Hairicome

Ladies try searching posts for GARLIC.

I've read posts stating that taking garlic supplement or eating raw garlic stops shedding. I tried it and it works for me