Trying to Grow My Hair

ClassyDiva

Well im trying to grow my hair. Im not sure what I need to do. Im kinda new to the hair thing. Ive been relaxing my hair for years and it has been growing. Im just ready for it to grow some more. What are some great ways t o help my hair grow?
Here is the pic of my hair in a natural almost state:

Can you tell what type my hair is so I can know exactly what way is best for a grow out?

AlliCat

Welcome :)

We can't tell your hair type from that pic. You need to take a close up pic of your new growth (roots) several weeks/months post relaxer for the most accuracy.

Amber_moon

WELCOME!

Your hair type has absolutely nothing to do with how you grow your hair, so knowing the type really wont do anything. The best thing for ALL hair types is moisture, low manipulation, no (or VERY low amounts of) heat and protecting it from breakage.

The first thing you should try is reading this forum. Do a search on regimen building, then start from there.

Next you are going to need some tools. Do you have a wide tooth comb? How about a satin headscarf for your hair at night? Do you own a deep conditioner? Do you have a SOFT boar bristle brush? If not, make it a point to get these things.

Reading posts on this forum should help you get a good idea of how to treat your hair. Growing it is all about consistently treating your hair well, and protecting it. If you don't do that, your hair will snap off and you wont retain ANY of the growth you get every month.

If you have any questions just ask, the ladies here are awesome and helpful.

lilsparkle825

Welcome! First, a few questions:

*Hair is always growing; the question is, how much is it retaining? What is the longest your hair has been?
*What do you mean by "natural almost" state? How long has it been since you last had a relaxer?
*What's your current regimen (what products are you using and when)?
*How do you normally wear your hair?
*What are your goals?

The important thing to do is learn the basics and not get overwhelmed by everything this site has to offer. Many times you will discover that you already own some or most of the tools you need to get long healthy hair, you simply haven't been using them in the right ways. Fill us in on where you want to go and we will help you get there!

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I'm a newbie too and I've had positive result. There is a thread regarding top 5 suggestions, I'd suggest you hunt that down and read it. One of the key things I think one should do is learn the science of hair...it's very interesting and enlightening then decide what you need for your hair to retain length as it is always growing, a lack of length as mentioned is the result of breakage. As you embark on your journey I'd day focus on the following: Deep Condition regularily, Moisture and protein balance, PH Balance, Low manipulation, moisturizing and sealing regularily, and ceramides. Handle your hair very very gently and enjoy your hair although a newbie I haven't done the no/low heat thing - I blow dry and flat iron after each wash but I t-shirt dry for a couple hours first and use products that are designed for heat. OH, and before you start buying products understand the ingredients that are in them...I've been on my journey about 80 days and I'm putting a couple pretty full bottles aside because I'm not keen on parabens. Having said that natural is often better for overall health. This is just a newbies 2 cents so take from it what you may most of all though have fun:)

MA2010

Welcome ClassyDiva!

When I relaxed, I got great growth from four things:

1. Moisturized hair from deep conditioning
    2. Strong hair from deep conditioning (protein)
    3. Protective styling (buns)
    4. Stretching time in between relaxers

HTH!

grow

Welcome aboard ClassyDiva!:newbie::welcome4::circle:

i'm kind of a newbie too, so i know how you feel, and trust me...you are in the right place to find proven methods that work and attain great support along the way!:yep:

that said, some things that have worked for me are:

eliminating drying sls shampoo's (check out the acronym sticky....these are referred to as poo's here, and you can imagine what i thought that meant when i didn't know the abbreviations,:look: lol!)

using Ayurveda to clean, condition and grow my hair.

using growth aides like Sulfur, Mega Tek, MN: there are many but if you do a search on growth aides, you can get a more complete list.

learining how to wet baggy bun: this helped me to not only grow, but most importantly, to retain.

becoming an egglette.

eating a healthy diet with lots of water and good excercise too.

practicing the art of massaging my scalp and using circulation enhancers like cayenne pepper to do so.

learning the proper balance of protein and moisture for my hair and finding the products which best meet those needs. (this is why i dc at least twice a week and do a deep protein treatment every 4-6 weeks)

learning what my hair like and reacts well to; which lead me to the dicovery of co-washing, which i now do daily. a clean scalp is a healthy scalp.

not being afraid to change. (although i was shaking in my boots at my 1st. Ayurveda treatment, lol!)

having patience.

being consistent with products found to work well and tenacious with a good reggie.

i wish you the best of luck on your new journey and hope you find the loving, supportive, inspirational community here at lhcf to assist you in your journey as it has assited me greatly.:yep:

ClassyDiva

I have a wide tooth already that I've had for years. my hair actually used to be shorter than it was in that picture. I was doing a low regime of daily wash and condition... air-dry wraps, Olive Oil moisturiser before styling. The satin scarf I have... using it now.... and Ive notice some difference in my hair for a few years, I use a hard bristle brush.... I describe my hair as a wild untamed lion, but managable after the flat iron. Most of the product I use in my hair are Olive Oil, Mink Oil, and Shea Butter.

DEEP CONDITIONING...... Uh No. lol Never thought of using that so I have some things I need to learn about that. I have been looking though the forums... took me a while to know the Acronyms and Abbreviations but I think Im getting better.

Thanks for the heads up....

Urban

I strongly believe that the first thing newbies need to work on is to shift their focus from 'growth' to 'retaining length.' I think once you've achieved this, following all the other advice on this forum becomes easier.

I know when you're starting on your journey, it's easier when people tell you to do A, B and C and you'll have MBL hair in no time! But the truth is ... there is a HUGE diversity in regimens here. Some shampoo twice a week, some don't shampoo at all. Some deep condition 2-3 times a week, some deep condition once a month, some don't deep condition at all. Some moisturize and seal twice a day, some a few times a week.

The best way I think is to just listen to your hair. Don't feel you have to shampoo often, just because some on here do. Feel YOUR scalp, and if you feel it's dirty, then wash or shampoo. If your hair feels dry, then moisturize and seal as often and it takes for it to not feel dry. Copying other people who moisturize twice a day can leave your hair feeling mushy. But also maybe copying those who moisturize once a week is not enough. Just do what makes your hair happy.

Sorry my 'advice' isn't more specific, but the ladies in this thread have given you lots of great tips to try. It's the biggest lesson I've learnt being on these hair boards.

ClassyDiva

Is this a better pic?

I currently have a sew-in but I have a portion of my hair out and this is how it looked dried. :ohwell:

KLomax

Welcome, you can do it. You may want to consider finding a "hair twin" that has had some success and mirror their regimen to get you started.

Good luck & happy hair growing!!!
:grin: