Trying to grow my natural hair.

TGrigley

I am trying to grow my natural hair at least 3 inches in 7 months. I believe my hair type is 4a. What do you all recommend for me to do to achieve my goal? I am newly natural and a college student. I just want to have at least shoulder length straightened hair for my birthday next year. Please give advice.

natstar

Search the board-there are great tips. Here are my few tips:

1) Keep your hair moisturized with a water based moisturizer and seal with a natural oil like coconut or avocado. Make sure you really focus on moisturizing and sealing your ends.
Moisturize at least once a day.

2) Do NOT comb hair when it's dry

3) Only comb (detangle) when wet and filled with a ton of conditioner

4) Deep condition at least once a week with a conditioner made specfically for deep
conditioning.

5) If you can bun it, or find a protective style that requires low manipulation and can protect your ends and keep them moisturized.

6) Good diet and exercise

7) Patience

8) Always have a silk pillow and head scarf-no cotton on your hair-ever.

chokolate miss

1) Keep your hair moisturized with a water based moisturizer and seal with a natural oil like coconut or avocado. Make sure you really focus on moisturizing and sealing your ends.

4) Deep condition at least once a week with a conditioner made specfically for deep
conditioning.

5) If you can bun it, or find a protective style that requires low manipulation and can protect your ends and keep them moisturized.

7) Patience

take heed of that advice above. it is so very true:yep:

SEMO

conditioning.

7) Patience

I agree with all of this. This is good solid advice.

I would also add:

9) Try not to get caught up in buying "special" products only marketed to naturals. I use many products marketed to those with straight hair, or even white people. You should keep an open mind.

10) When you find a product or technique that works for you, make note of it. Sometimes we come across something that works, but for some reason forget to keep up with it.

11) Learn how to diagnose what your hair needs (ex. when it seems to need clarifying b/c products have stopped working, etc.), and give your hair what it needs at that time. I don't do things on a schedule (it fits my personality too) b/c I find that I may then have a tendency to over or under do things.

12) Don't get caught up comparing your natural hair to others. It may be very similar, but things that work for them may not work for you (and vice versa).

Good luck to you on your journey. :)

Last edited:

Keedah

My hair grows best in protective styles which is why Im wearing wigs until the spring.

Try protective styles like twists buns wigs or braids