Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Meemee6223

I took my braids out today and I was terrified at what I saw after I shampooed. No knots or matting. Just a head full hair that seemed to say ":lol: baby, you ain't seen nothing yet!" I mean that stuff is THICK! I seriously thought about a relaxer for the first time in a long time. I won't relax but I took a long hard look at the flat iron.

SqrpioQutie

i understand.....i did that my first try too. i was ten months in and i said "bump this!" ...and i texlaxed.

the long stretch did prepare me for the long term transition though. i didn't know it at the time, but i learned what i needed to know about my hair and handling two textures. that information has been VERY valuable to me now that i am on board with becoming fully natural.

i will say this, i prefer my texlaxed hair. it's just easier. the only reason i am going natural is because i feel it's healthier for my hair overall and for me to reach my length goals i feel i need to forgo chemicals.

also, the great other thing about being texlaxed, if you do decide to go natural later, it is SOOOO MUCH EASIER to have texlaxed roots during your transition than having bone straight ends and natural roots. it makes it easier to transition longer too because the texture difference isn't so stark.

good luck to you! i'm totally jelly.:yep:

(don't forget we are still in here if you change your mind at some point....i'm in for three years and this is the end of year one. so come on back when you're ready:grin:)

you know, i really got to thinking about it and i spent a lot of time focusing on what would truly make me happy.... and the truth is, i feel better about my hair when i wear it down... and i only wear it down when i wear is straight or rollerset... as a natural, that requires way more heat and tension than i like.... and, my hair thrived before when i was texlaxed so i figure i can do the same again.... it was hilarious when i did it too - i can still very easily see the difference between the previously texlaxed hair and the newly texlaxed hair... :grin:

WorkInProgress88

I'm almost 9 months post...I've been getting Senegalese twist since May and get them redone about every two months...I don't really have a target BC date but I want to be close to APL stretched before I BC.

this has been my approach to this transition, every two months I redo my Senegalese twist or do some yarn braids

MystiqueBabe

Thank you for your support ladies. I am very confident in myself that I will never relax my hair again and I have detailed reasons for doing so. She is just one of those people who dislikes natural hair and finds it unsightly. Maybe one day she will come around.

bellebebe

Ladies who have BCd. Did you notice a different in your natural texture once you BCd? And, overall, what is the average period between transitioning and BCing? 1 - 2 years?

daviine

I haven't been on in a while (which really means more than a few hours :spinning::lol:). I've been posting to this thread in my head but just haven't been able to get on to give updates.

I went to a salon yesterday to have my scalp and hair looked at. I told the lady that my last relaxer was in November--and she said-- "almost a year" which caught my attention. Yay! The lady described me as being "mostly natural" which also caught my attention. So I looked in the mirror today after washing my hair and its true--I'm mostly natural. I have some pathetic relaxed strands here and there (most of them broke off apparently) so it really doesn't make sense for me to keep them. However, its enough hair to allow me to bun my hair. So, technically, I could keep on "transitioning" until I have enough natural hair to bun without it. It looks so pathetic when not in a bun, that it reminds me of men that do combovers. :lol:

I'm deciding on whether or not to BC and thinking of a date. I really want to transition for at least 1 year but if I come up with a "cool" date before that, I'll consider doing it earlier.

I've been bunning my hair and throwing my silk headwrap/super wide headband on so maybe I could still do that. I have a lot to think about. In the meantime, can Leslie_C or someone put YT links of people (or names of people) who BCed with about 5-6 inches of new growth?

I've also considered just waiting for all the relaxed hair to break off but that's just asking for damaged natural hair, I imagine.

Thanks!

Leslie_C

I haven't been on in a while (which really means more than a few hours :spinning::lol:). I've been posting to this thread in my head but just haven't been able to get on to give updates.

I went to a salon yesterday to have my scalp and hair looked at. I told the lady that my last relaxer was in November--and she said-- "almost a year" which caught my attention. Yay! The lady described me as being "mostly natural" which also caught my attention. So I looked in the mirror today after washing my hair and its true--I'm mostly natural. I have some pathetic relaxed strands here and there (most of them broke off apparently) so it really doesn't make sense for me to keep them. However, its enough hair to allow me to bun my hair. So, technically, I could keep on "transitioning" until I have enough natural hair to bun without it. It looks so pathetic when not in a bun, that it reminds me of men that do combovers. :lol:

I'm deciding on whether or not to BC and thinking of a date. I really want to transition for at least 1 year but if I come up with a "cool" date before that, I'll consider doing it earlier.

I've been bunning my hair and throwing my silk headwrap/super wide headband on so maybe I could still do that. I have a lot to think about. In the meantime, can @Leslie_C or someone put YT links of people (or names of people) who BCed with about 5-6 inches of new growth?

I've also considered just waiting for all the relaxed hair to break off but that's just asking for damaged natural hair, I imagine.

Thanks!
daviine

:lol: @ "a few hours" lol...sounds like me...Im always checking the boards from my phone...Im a little obsessed! I prefer LHCF to facebook!

I will find some YT videos for you! When is your official 1 year transitioning anniversary?

I totally know what you are saying, my hair is getting like that in the back, but I still have a lot of relaxer in the front/sides region. Its my back middle that is breaking.

Do you think you can get your hair into a bun if you chop by making a puff and pinning the ends around it? You can donut them and pin or wrap and pin them in a clockwise or counterclockwise circle.

Im going to be sad if you chop! Ill miss youuuuuu waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol. You still have to be my buddy anyway dang it! Ill just harass you via PM and messages on your profile page lol.

Last edited:

Ashawn Arraine

daviine, Leslie_C you ladies are funny and adorable at the same time. Me personally my hair did the same thing break in the back with a LOT of relaxed ends in the front. I personally just cut the back scraggly ends to a point that they looked a little thicker and more uniform if that makes any sense and just evened out the top to be the same length as the back (excuse my run on sentence). I did my trims that way until I just got tired of all the relaxed ends cause they no longer wanted to blend in. The relaxed ends were just too straight and wouldn't hold a curl for anything! It doesn't help that I live in Texas and it is extremely humid. HTH

.... Yes I have big chopped but I still pop in here and check on ya'll.

I've been bunning my hair and throwing my silk headwrap/super wide headband on so maybe I could still do that. I have a lot to think about. In the meantime, can @Leslie_C or someone put YT links of people (or names of people) who BCed with about 5-6 inches of new growth?

Thanks!

I'm waiting at least a year too which would be December. The only other option would be to go to this Big Chop event they're having at a salon in my city Oct. 7. They're doing big chops, make up and a photo shoot.

I thought that was a nice idea. BUT I don't trust anyone with my hair though. And it grows too slow to take any chances.

I don't want anyone to try to shape it up just for the sake of it looking good for a photo. Even if it's uneven, I want all the natural hair I've managed to grow to stay on my head. :lol:

Leslie_C

@daviine, @Leslie_C you ladies are funny and adorable at the same time. Me personally my hair did the same thing break in the back with a LOT of relaxed ends in the front. I personally just cut the back scraggly ends to a point that they looked a little thicker and more uniform if that makes any sense and just evened out the top to be the same length as the back (excuse my run on sentence). I did my trims that way until I just got tired of all the relaxed ends cause they no longer wanted to blend in. The relaxed ends were just too straight and wouldn't hold a curl for anything! It doesn't help that I live in Texas and it is extremely humid. HTH

Ashawn Arraine awwwwww you mean you still love us??????!!!!! :)
Thanks for checking in! Hows everything going so far? Did the hubs come around and start appreciating all that fabulousness yet?? I cant remember how many months post relaxer you were....??? But I do remember that your hair looked amazing when you chopped! Very inspiring!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
you know, i really got to thinking about it and i spent a lot of time focusing on what would truly make me happy.... and the truth is, i feel better about my hair when i wear it down... and i only wear it down when i wear is straight or rollerset... as a natural, that requires way more heat and tension than i like.... and, my hair thrived before when i was texlaxed so i figure i can do the same again.... it was hilarious when i did it too - i can still very easily see the difference between the previously texlaxed hair and the newly texlaxed hair... :grin:

i felt the EXACT SAME WAY! i think it's an evolution of thought that has to take place for some people. not relaxed vs natural.....i hate that debate. but a style preference debate within yourself.

i preferred straight hair styles and did not want to go through the "work" for natural hair to be straight. (like blow drying is that much work...but i digress:grin:) at the time when i decided to not transition, texlax gave me the best of both worlds....

as time went by i started learning more about natural hair care to research for the future in case i decided to transition. in that time i started seeing more and more curly styles that i loved. i fell absolutely in love with mahogany curls and curlynikki's hair. soon after i decided i would stretch longer and see if a transition was in the cards for me again.

i took it a month at a time and always told myself (and still do) that if i am not happy with my hair, i will give it a week of thought and texlax at the end of that week if i still want to. this promise to myself made it low pressure than "deciding to transition" all in one day.

like i said....i can appreciate fully where you are coming from. life is short. you should enjoy your ride!

do you have any pics of the new doo?

Ashawn Arraine

Leslie_C said:
Ashawn Arraine awwwwww you mean you still love us??????!!!!! :)
Thanks for checking in! Hows everything going so far? Did the hubs come around and start appreciating all that fabulousness yet?? I cant remember how many months post relaxer you were....??? But I do remember that your hair looked amazing when you chopped! Very inspiring!

Yes, I would like to see everyone be a success! He's doing better I think just the shock of me spontaneously cutting my hair got him. He used to my hair longer the shortest it's been since we've been together is shoulder length.

Hold on ladies it is worth it!!!

I am now close to 17 months I was little over 15 months when I big chopped.

JJamiah

I have decided to cut my hair in July 2013. I'm anxious to cut it now, but I know that I'm already used to longer hair. I use Miss Jessie's sweet back treatment today, love it. But won't be using it again until I cut my hair.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using LHCF

daviine

Hey transitioning sisters! Nothing new here, just been business as usual as far as bunning,etc. Fall is coming fast, and the cooler temps are already making my hair more dry....*SIGH*...I JUST.GOT.MY.MOISTURE.LEVELS.IN.CHECK! and now Im going to have to change it up. Gonna probably skip shampoo more often this winter and cowash more and will incorporate more butters to seal..heavier products than I used in the summer.

Does anybody have a problem with using coconut oil in the cooler months? I read it dries into a hard film when exposed to cold temps and makes the hair haird. I LOVE coconut oil, but I just discovered it this summer. Im almost out, so trying to decide whether you repurchase or just hold off till spring. Any suggestions for dry hair in the winter to kick up moisture? My hair is just porous and chronically dry, it is a constant battle to keep it moisturized...and I was winning the battle, but the last week or so its just been dry no matter what I put on it.

Also wanted to share a comparison pic that has me stoked. The first is from 5/15 when I did a major chop (4-5 inches)at the beginning of when I officially started to transition. The second is from 8/27. My hair totally grew right back in just a few months! I didnt really want to use heat on my whole head so I lightly blow dried a section on one side in the back for a sorta length check out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised. Long live the bun! ;0) Makes me not want to do more cutting for a while just to see how much progress I can make.

I have about 4 inches natural hair and the rest is relaxed. My back middle has some mild to moderate breakage and only has a little bit of relaxer on the ends...so I have a section to play with back there that is almost all natural. Will look at the grass half full--I can "play" with products to see how my hair will act in that section.

My hair is super dry and no product helps--not even your beloved Shea Moisture :look: I'm trying to drink my water and eat better so that I can help these products out. I just refuse to believe that nothing works in my hair. The only thing that seems to work is leaving conditioner in my hair--but that doesn't mean my hair is moisturized and I don't want to have to leave conditioner in my hair all the time.

I'm glad you're happy. I don't think I will ever relax again but I am not ruling out texturizing/texlaxing. I have no idea what the future holds. That's why it was important for me to stay active on a board for all hair--not just natural. Good luck SqrpioQutie! See you around.

daviine

:lol: @ "a few hours" lol...sounds like me...Im always checking the boards from my phone...Im a little obsessed! I prefer LHCF to facebook!

I will find some YT videos for you! When is your official 1 year transitioning anniversary?

I totally know what you are saying, my hair is getting like that in the back, but I still have a lot of relaxer in the front/sides region. Its my back middle that is breaking.

Do you think you can get your hair into a bun if you chop by making a puff and pinning the ends around it? You can donut them and pin or wrap and pin them in a clockwise or counterclockwise circle.

Im going to be sad if you chop! Ill miss youuuuuu waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol. You still have to be my buddy anyway dang it! Ill just harass you via PM and messages on your profile page lol.

I'm super obsessed with LHCF and hair in general. I also prefer LHCF over Facebook. :look:

Pretty much the whole middle back is natural and most of the back. I guess I do have some relaxed hair in the front but a lot of it is short so it doesn't count much towards the "useful relaxed hair" that I use for bunning.

I can't visualize the hairstyle you're talking about--but it's not you--it's me. :yep: Don't be sad. You'll always be my buddy! It will never be harassment and I will be stalking your progress until we're both natural. Don't count me out yet though because I'm scared all of a sudden. These relaxed ends are like a security blanket.

Thanks for all the videos. I created a playlist for them. I'm not sure my hair is 6 inches though. The lady said the longest part was but that could have been 1 itty bitty section of hair, lol. Plus she didn't officially measure it. :ohwell:

,you ladies are funny and adorable at the same time. Me personally my hair did the same thing break in the back with a LOT of relaxed ends in the front. I personally just cut the back scraggly ends to a point that they looked a little thicker and more uniform if that makes any sense and just evened out the top to be the same length as the back (excuse my run on sentence). I did my trims that way until I just got tired of all the relaxed ends cause they no longer wanted to blend in. The relaxed ends were just too straight and wouldn't hold a curl for anything! It doesn't help that I live in Texas and it is extremely humid. HTH

Ashawn Arraine

Thanks for stopping by. I don't like when people BC because they tend not to come back. This is my favorite thread--and it really is like a support group. I have no idea where I will "hang out" if I BC--reason enough for me not to cut these scraggly relaxed ends. :grin: Actually--I'd probably end up in the struggling with natural hair thread. I'm already panicking just thinking about how well I DO NOT know my hair and her needs/wants yet.

I'm waiting at least a year too which would be December. The only other option would be to go to this Big Chop event they're having at a salon in my city Oct. 7. They're doing big chops, make up and a photo shoot.

I thought that was a nice idea. BUT I don't trust anyone with my hair though. And it grows too slow to take any chances.

I don't want anyone to try to shape it up just for the sake of it looking good for a photo. Even if it's uneven, I want all the natural hair I've managed to grow to stay on my head. :lol:

CandiceC That sounds so cool but I can definitely understand you not trusting just anybody. Transitioning is hard work and we don't need random people just cutting our hard work all willy-nilly for a picture. Shoooooooottttt. :nono: You should still go even if you're not going to BC though. But bring someone with you to keep you from catching BC vapors. Is there an official name for this event--I wonder if there's anything similar in NY.

daviine

I have decided to cut my hair in July 2013. I'm anxious to cut it now, but I know that I'm already used to longer hair. I use Miss Jessie's sweet back treatment today, love it. But won't be using it again until I cut my hair.

JJamiah
OMG-- that seems so far away! I wish I had the patience (and enough hair) to go on that long. I can't wait to see all your hard work pay off! How long is your hair now?

JJamiah

JJamiah
OMG-- that seems so far away! I wish I had the patience (and enough hair) to go on that long. I can't wait to see all your hard work pay off! How long is your hair now?

I am so sorry I lied! my husband and I, just cut my hair. Right now it's about , ear, neck, top of the shoulder land.

daviine

JJamiah said:
I am so sorry I lied! my husband and I, just cut my hair. Right now it's about , ear, neck, top of the shoulder land.

JJamiah..... What? Just like that? Well at least now I don't have to wait.... :lachen: How do you feel?

Ashawn Arraine

JJamiah said:

Lol I understand and welcome to the other side!

Daaang. You changed your mind quick. I guess planning and setting dates don't matter. When you're called, you must answer. :lachen:

JJamiah

JJamiah..... What? Just like that? Well at least now I don't have to wait.... :lachen: How do you feel?

I have scalped myself about 4 times, so I wanted a Cesar again, hubby said Noway! Pretty please! Lol

Honestly, school Is stressing me and I needed a change.

Last edited:

JJamiah

Daaang. You changed your mind quick. I guess planning and setting dates don't matter. When you're called, you must answer. :lachen:

A little Caesar has been calling my name, 3rd cut this year. LOL, I know 5 minutes ago it was 10 months ago.

SqrpioQutie

i felt the EXACT SAME WAY! i think it's an evolution of thought that has to take place for some people. not relaxed vs natural.....i hate that debate. but a style preference debate within yourself.

i preferred straight hair styles and did not want to go through the "work" for natural hair to be straight. (like blow drying is that much work...but i digress:grin:) at the time when i decided to not transition, texlax gave me the best of both worlds....

as time went by i started learning more about natural hair care to research for the future in case i decided to transition. in that time i started seeing more and more curly styles that i loved. i fell absolutely in love with mahogany curls and curlynikki's hair. soon after i decided i would stretch longer and see if a transition was in the cards for me again.

i took it a month at a time and always told myself (and still do) that if i am not happy with my hair, i will give it a week of thought and texlax at the end of that week if i still want to. this promise to myself made it low pressure than "deciding to transition" all in one day.

like i said....i can appreciate fully where you are coming from. life is short. you should enjoy your ride!

do you have any pics of the new doo?

nah, no pics.... but i did discover the cutest topknot bun thingy by accident last night and that's going to end up being my go-to style instead of the buns i generally rock to the back of my head... i'm sure i'll take some soon but my hair is starting to remind me of how it was in the pic on my profile...

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
hey ladies....i am not feeling my hair at all today. it's just the bun. haven't ordered my wigs yet. i am going to slap on an older half wig when i get home from work just to make myself feel better.

i trimmed my ends again....just a dusting of the oldest hair. maybe an inch.

:)

Pinkerton

Checking in @ 29 weeks, 30 by next Wednesday.
My journey has been fairly easy thus far-growth is decent, no massive hair loss and my hair has been easier to handle then I originally thought it would be. I have discovered, as of late, that I will need a good detangler. I fingercomb everday but with my hair being thicker, it needs a little help.

Feeling good about my growth and I'm tentatively setting a goal to BC once I'm close to SL unstretched.

Not feeling so great about my "balding" spot-caused by years of dermatitis, scratching, and relaxer burns-at my forehead. I know it may take years but I'm hoping it will begin to grow in at some point. Right now it's being babied and I am never seen outside the house without my scarf or headband, so we'll just wait and see.

JJamiah

Ladies my dinophone makes it a little hard to get pics on the site, directly. Will upload asap.