Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Meemee6223

My hair clearly has 3 different textures. 4c in the front/top, 4b on the sides, 4a in the back. I think the conditioner I used worked very well for the back, ok for the sides, not good at all in the front. Does anyone else have this issue? I feel like my 4c hair doesn't absorb anything. It felt crunchy after deep conditioning, like the conditioner just sat on top of it. Does anyone use AOHSR as a deep conditioner after shampooing?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Took my hair down from the braids and doing a wash session, will be braiding it back up for 2 weeks again and throwing my wig back on.....

Last edited:

Rae81

Flat ironed on hair and confirmed what I already knew. I have sections of hair in my crown where the relaxed hair has broken off. I need to baby that section more

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Leslie_C

WHAT THE WHAT WHAT?????? JJamiah !!!!!! Get in here and show us some pics! Im SHOCKED...I leave the thread for 5 minutes and yall are up here chopping your hair off left and right lol! How many months post were you? Are you loving it? Congrats!

Flat ironed on hair and confirmed what I already knew. I have sections of hair in my crown where the relaxed hair has broken off. I need to baby that section more

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D
Rae81 I have that issue too and I think its pretty common...Im reading more and more about folks saying they have breakage there.

My hair is super dry and no product helps--not even your beloved Shea Moisture :look: I'm trying to drink my water and eat better so that I can help these products out. I just refuse to believe that nothing works in my hair. The only thing that seems to work is leaving conditioner in my hair--but that doesn't mean my hair is moisturized and I don't want to have to leave conditioner in my hair all the time.

I'm glad you're happy. I don't think I will ever relax again but I am not ruling out texturizing/texlaxing. I have no idea what the future holds. That's why it was important for me to stay active on a board for all hair--not just natural. Good luck @SqrpioQutie! See you around.

I'm super obsessed with LHCF and hair in general. I also prefer LHCF over Facebook. :look:

Pretty much the whole middle back is natural and most of the back. I guess I do have some relaxed hair in the front but a lot of it is short so it doesn't count much towards the "useful relaxed hair" that I use for bunning.

I can't visualize the hairstyle you're talking about--but it's not you--it's me. :yep: Don't be sad. You'll always be my buddy! It will never be harassment and I will be stalking your progress until we're both natural. Don't count me out yet though because I'm scared all of a sudden. These relaxed ends are like a security blanket.

Thanks for all the videos. I created a playlist for them. I'm not sure my hair is 6 inches though. The lady said the longest part was but that could have been 1 itty bitty section of hair, lol. Plus she didn't officially measure it. :ohwell:

@Ashawn Arraine

Thanks for stopping by. I don't like when people BC because they tend not to come back. This is my favorite thread--and it really is like a support group. I have no idea where I will "hang out" if I BC--reason enough for me not to cut these scraggly relaxed ends. :grin: Actually--I'd probably end up in the struggling with natural hair thread. I'm already panicking just thinking about how well I DO NOT know my hair and her needs/wants yet.

@CandiceC That sounds so cool but I can definitely understand you not trusting just anybody. Transitioning is hard work and we don't need random people just cutting our hard work all willy-nilly for a picture. Shoooooooottttt. :nono: You should still go even if you're not going to BC though. But bring someone with you to keep you from catching BC vapors. Is there an official name for this event--I wonder if there's anything similar in NY.

daviine that is weird bc from the pics Ive seen of your hair, it looks like it would be super soft! What are you using for moisture right now? Does your hair like coconut oil or castor oil? What leave in are you using? What about deep conditioner? Basically just list all your products lol..
Im going to find a video to demonstrate the style for you Im talking about. You will be able to do it now and would probably still be able to if you chop soon too.

nah, no pics.... but i did discover the cutest topknot bun thingy by accident last night and that's going to end up being my go-to style instead of the buns i generally rock to the back of my head... i'm sure i'll take some soon but my hair is starting to remind me of how it was in the pic on my profile...

SqrpioQutie I forgot to tell you Im glad for you that you found a happy place for you and your hair! Id texlax in a heartbeat if I could be promised to get a uniform result over time...but Im sure Ill be trying diff home remedies to make my hair a little more managable.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i did a honey and olive oil deep condition treatment today that was oh so nice to my new growth and my texlaxed ends. my hair feels like butter now!

which is good because yesterday i was ready to cut my hair or relax.

Leslie_C

i did a honey and olive oil deep condition treatment today that was oh so nice to my new growth and my texlaxed ends. my hair feels like butter now!

which is good because yesterday i was ready to cut my hair or relax.

havilland I know the feeling sister! Ive not been tempted to relax, but have sure as heck been tempted to chop.

havilland

@havilland what is the honey to olive oil ratio? Or is it something that is mass produced and sold?

i just put 1 tbsp of honey and 1 tbsp of oil into about a 1/2 cup of conditioner.

you can't really mess it up. i used it as a prepoo. if i used after shampooing i would use a less oil to keep my hair from being weighed down. but it works great!

the homemade recipe for a honey deep conditioner is 1 part honey to 1 part olive oil. you can use that by itself with no conditioner added to soften your new growth. it's amazing.

Last edited:

Ashawn Arraine

havilland said:
i just put 1 tbsp of honey and 1 tbsp of oil into about a 1/2 cup of conditioner.

you can't really mess it up. i used it as a prepoo. if i used after shampooing i would use a less oil to keep my hair from being weighed down. but it works great!

the homemade recipe for a honey deep conditioner is 1 part honey to 1 part olive oil. you can use that by itself with no conditioner added to soften your new growth. it's amazing.

Okay! Thank you so much!

havilland

@havilland I know the feeling sister! Ive not been tempted to relax, but have sure as heck been tempted to chop.

AMEN! last night i tucked my ends under and reminded myself how short my fro would be and how i would BARELY be able to get a ponytail....i mean i'd have a pony but i'd have to pull it so tight my edges would be strained......:lol:

that little experiment kept me from doing anything. :drunk:

JJamiah

YOu ladies know Dinophone and me have complications and my pics come late but they eventually come here :giggle:

Last pic no product:)

Beautiful textures which I have no pictures of, has men calling me "Michael, Tito and Jermaine" not cute! :cry2:

Attachments

• bc001.jpg
    bc001.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 91
  • bc002.jpg
    bc002.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 92
  • bc003.jpg
    bc003.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 88
  • afterwash.jpg
    afterwash.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Britt

YOu ladies know Dinophone and me have complications and my pics come late but they eventually come here :giggle:

Last pic no product:) I like it! whew hew!

Beautiful textures which I have no pictures of, has men calling me "Michael, Tito and Jermaine" not cute! :cry2:

You have beautiful hair.... I love your texture.

TokyoReina

14 months post now...I am super frustrated with it right now! I've had it braided under a wig for the past month. Since I've unbraided it, I haven't been able to leave it alone! I've deep conditioned, flat ironed, trimmed, cowashed, blow dried...way too much. I'm just going to find someone to braid it all back up neatly and put my wig back on.

I thought I would love my wig after all the investment I put into it, but it's way more work than I thought. I'm going to need a more low maintenance texture.

daviine

daviine that is weird bc from the pics Ive seen of your hair, it looks like it would be super soft! What are you using for moisture right now? Does your hair like coconut oil or castor oil? What leave in are you using? What about deep conditioner? Basically just list all your products lol..
Im going to find a video to demonstrate the style for you I'm talking about. You will be able to do it now and would probably still be able to if you chop soon too.

Leslie_C-- My hair is great when its wet, :grin:. It's when it dries that the truth comes out. It could be the products, technique, internal health, or a combination.

I can't really say what I've been using for moisture because I haven't found anything that works. I've been fighting the LOC method because I just feel its too involved and confusing.However, maybe it's what I need to be doing since what I'm doing isn't really working for me.

I'm indecisive by nature and so the more choices I have, the more overwhelmed I can become. So for the LOC method, I get confused about how to get the most out of a product. For example, some people uses butters as the "O", while others use it as a "C". So before I wash, I usually look at my list of products and try to figure what I haven't used yet and how best to use it. Should I use it as a liquid, oil, or cream? That usually involves me doing a search to see how others use it, which is time consuming and hasn't really gotten me a moisturizing combination yet.

My hair seems to like Giovanni Direct Leave In but I find it to be a bit on the waxy side. Aside from leaving conditioner in my hair, this has been what works best for me so far. I just think it could be better. That being said, I'm also having to figure out what I'm looking for. When I was relaxed, I knew what my hair looked, felt, and behaved like when it was moisturized--and all I had to do was moisturize and seal--which really, I don't remember doing often. If I remember correctly, my hair could go more than one day without being moisturized. I know when my hair is dry :lol: but I'm not sure how moisturized it can truly be because I'm still learning.

I can't really tell you what oils my hair likes because I haven't really been using oils (or anything else consistently). I haven't found anything worth using consistently. I was about to start experimenting with oils when the dermatologist told me not to put oils in my hair. (She says my hair loss is related to my seborrheic dermatitis). I've been struggling with that also because I was dissatisfied with the visit and so it makes me question her treatment plan. I've been sealing with serums but sometimes I'll experiment and try sealing with shea butter, an oil or Oyin SugarBerry Pomade. I've found no real difference between the oils and serums, so I think I need to focus on finding a moisturizing conditioner and a moisturizing leave-in. Maybe I'm sealing but there isn't anything to seal, I don't know. :spinning:

Anyway, because there are no real staples/holy grails in my regimen, it's hard to find the winning combination of products. So many variables. I have a drying shampoo to start off with (Head & Shoulders), so I really need a moisturizing conditioner, which I haven't found yet. I'm still in heavy experimentation phase, so I'm not sure how helpful it would be to list any products. I'll do it anyway. I'm listing what's most frequently used.

Shampoo-- Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment, Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (this used to be a staple but doesn't seem to be working anymore)
Conditioner-- none really-- I have a lot of rinse out conditioners that I like but not really any deep conditioners that I find to be moisturizing (or worth my time). Keracare Humecto stopped working months ago
Protein Conditioner-- Dudley's Hair Rebuilder (one more use or so) I've been using this weekly (was going to start doing this every two weeks but was told I have midshaft splits among other things and it was suggested I do protein every week for a month)
Leave-In Giovanni Direct-- I have Cantu Leave-in but I can't get that thing to work for me at all---and I have a full jar :nono:
Serum- Cantu Silk Something or Another and Organix Moroccan Oil Serum (I think)
I use the Shea Moisture Purifican Masque and I like this-- don't know if it's better as a prepoo or a deep conditioner; but I like this so far

In between wash days-- I spray my hair with distilled water but maybe I need to add something to that. Maybe my hair needs more than water. But what? I don't know. I'm not sure about glycerin at this time of the year; I've not noticed anything impressive about aloe vera gel (Lily of the Valley); I'm not "supposed" to use oil on my hair. What's left to add to the water? ::drunk:

Other stuff I have-- Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk-- (love the consistency but I don't think it does anything for my hair); SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Anyway--- that's pretty much what I'm working with. My aunt sent me a Sally's discount card and is sending me a coupon. When I get that, I may try out some As I Am products. I think there's probably a conditioner for me in some online store somewhere but there are too many to choose from, too expensive to try all, and I don't want to pay shipping on experiments.So I'm looking for my HG products on the ground. :perplexed

I feel like I've gone on and on about nothing, so I'll end here. :look: Thanks for reading...if you're still there. :lachen:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
43 weeks today. My hair stylist said I have five inches of new growth, but about 6 1/2 inches of relaxed ends. I tossed around the idea of cutting it and she didn't seem to like the idea of cutting off more than what would be left. :lol: I'm pretty sure I want to wait another 61 weeks anyway. :yep:

havilland

daviine i would def recommend you get off that head and shoulders, keracare shampoo and that keracare humecto conditioner.

ugh....that stuff is ripping the moisture right out of your hair! please please please try some sulfate free shampoos or better yet, start using a cleansing conditioner like Hair One or Wen or Vo5 Clarifying conditioner....Vo5 is $.79 at CVS. seriously...that stuff works...you can't do better than less than a dollar.

then try some of the other moisture based products you listed. i bet your hair will soften right up! :)

havilland

ok yall....me and the bun almost had a fight today! i literally almost cut all my hair off today......i am so sick of this bun.

i need to do something.

normally right about now i would half wig it but my hair is so thick, i can't get it to lay right under a half wig anymore....by braids are too puffy and i don't know how to cornrow.

i am just venting....don't mind me. bun and i will be back together tomorrow. like an evil old married couple. too lazy to get divorced so they just stay together.......... LOL

Leslie_C

@daviine i would def recommend you get off that head and shoulders, keracare shampoo and that keracare humecto conditioner.

ugh....that stuff is ripping the moisture right out of your hair! please please please try some sulfate free shampoos or better yet, start using a cleansing conditioner like Hair One or Wen or Vo5 Clarifying conditioner....Vo5 is $.79 at CVS. seriously...that stuff works...you can't do better than less than a dollar.

then try some of the other moisture based products you listed. i bet your hair will soften right up! :)

Yes maaam daviine! Head and shoulders would strip even type 1 hair. Keracare is actually sulfate free now, so if you have the new version that may be ok, but Id switch when the bottle is done. I have the sulfate free one and didnt care for it much either on transitioning hair. Adding coconut oil as a sealant and as a prepoo gave me life! Lots of folks give praise to elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo and its cheap and Im now married to CON Argan Oil shampoo (both sulfate free). Im a fan of cowashing, but Im thinking with the scalp condition it may not be a good idea. My scalp doesnt seem to care for it...but it does well with Cleansing Creams...I really like As I Am Coconut Cowash....but it has to be followed with a rinse...my hair didnt feel as good when I tried to make it double as a cleanser and conditioner.

Also if you are using cheaper rinse outs as deep conditioners add some oil and honey to get more bang for your buck. Have you tried ORS Replenishing Paks? Its kinda my old faithful conditioner Ive used to years and about the only hair product Ive consistently used.

Your hair looks softer than mind and you have a looser curl pattern so I KNOW if my hair is capable of being soft that yours shouldnt be hard to soften up at all. I think you are just shooting yourself in the foot with the harsh shampoo and not using any oils. Im sure if you use oils on your hair and not your scalp it would probably be fine. I dont use oil on my scalp but my hair loves it!

LOC may not work for you, it didnt for me at first, but after I tried a few different combos I found what worked. I use a true oil as my O and butter as my C (if I use a butter, but Ive been using the SMCES as my C). If you try several combos without success, just try simple M&S...moisturize and then seal with a butter or oil (try both and see which works best).

How are you drying and styling your hair? I know I asked you in a message but we might as well make this a group discussion so you can get more suggestions without repeating yourself :)

Rae81

My hair is really retaining its length. I guess wearing a bun everyday paid off. Only problem is its going to be hard to cut off my relaxed ends

Sent from my HTC EVO 3Dk

JJamiah

My hair is feeling so moisturized :) :woohoo2:
I am in dire need of Henna :yep: my greys are like :woohoo: :nono: not cute yet!

havilland

Today I wore a half wig with my hair in a bun underneath. Lumpy but I don't care. I needed a break from transitionland!