Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Dayjoy

Old School Member
28 weeks today and I think I've let go of my dependence on my monthly salon blow out and flat iron. Braid outs, twist outs, and Bantu knot outs will be my best friends. :grin:

Z-kitty

I'm 78 weeks (18 mths) post today!! Only 6 more months until the big day. My hair is a lot shorter than I expected it to be. I guess i'm a slow grower. About to OD on hair supplements and growth potions so that I can at least be chin length in the front before my BC in December.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Stupid question time. Does scab hair really need to be cut off or can I just wait it out with the rest of my transition?

Pinkerton, from my readings and understandings it can wait. Its just hair that hasnt been TRAINED to the process yet of not using chemicals. As long as you can work with it I say wait it out.

Leslie_C

Hi ladies. I'm just checking in. I'm 30 weeks post now and I just finished taking down my plaits and braids done on my own hair. Now it's in 6 sections and ready to be washed. I'm thinking I'll be bunning until August 6th when I start my new job. I just have to find a way to combat the severe dryness of my natural roots after washing my hair. I'm hoping a good DC and protein conditioner after will make the difference. DCing alone isn't working for me. Maybe I'll try an ACV rinse as well. I'll keep you posted!

ETA: Oh, and I also gave myself a 2 inch trim. I haven't had one since November, so I was WAY overdue! :blush:

Have you tried curlformers? I swear the addition of curlformers and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie have my hair doing 95% better as far as dryness. It dries smooth and soft and maintains moisture so much better now! I think Im going to start using curlformers routinely. Smoothing/Stretching out the roots rather than letting them coil up on themselves (the back is notorious for this) is making a big difference!

A lot of naturals routinely use them to stretch the hair for other styles and dont even wear the set. It takes me a while to get those babies in, so you best believe Im wearing the set lol. Today is day 2 of the set. Tomorrow I might possibly be able to get a 3rd day out of the curls with an updo and then I will do a bantu knot out or TO/BO. I usually wash once a week and cowash midweek bc of the severe dryness...its the only way I could get some moisture back into my hair because anything I put on it seemed to just evaporate. Im experimenting, but I might be able to make it the whole week without washing since I added those two things to my regimen. Trying to figure out what to use during the week....not sure if too much of the SM CES will build up on my hair...may try the hair milk during the week.

JJamiah

I love my curlformers, I have 2 kits. I need to get the new ones when they come out. I need two kits for the way I like to wear my hair per size :) :)

DrPhoenyx

Hi ladies! I big chopped (didn't have the patience for transitioning) but I know, and have helped several women transition from relaxed to natural. Here are 3 key things to remember with transitioning: 1) You're going to have to REALLY stay on top of moisturizing and conditioning your hair to prevent breakage (particularly at the point where your relaxed and natural hair meet- which is the weakest part of your hair, 2) you're going to have to wear very low maintenance styles that don't put too much "stress" on your hair from manipulation (such as buns), and finally- this is often a biggie for women- 3) you're going to have to STEP AWAY from the heat. I know alot of women are tempted to use things like flat irons to "blend" their relaxed and natural hair. But this isn't a smart move because it only ends up damaging your natural hair in the long run. Just follow these steps (remember to regularly trim off your relaxed hair too), and your transition should come along just fine!

JJamiah

i use ampro brown gel with a dab of oil mixed in to keep my hair from being dry. also, i do not comb or brush once that stuff is in my hair. i rinse it out in the shower.

when my hair is cooperating and very clean and freshly conditioned, i can use ORS edge control or a homemade hair gel i make with a recipe @memyselfandi gave me with guar gum and aloe vera. but in a pinch, brown gel works every time!:grin:

Exactly ORS works great on freshly washed hair about 3 days in as well. After I use Ampro Brown gel on top and it lays it right down. :)

I love my gels, what would I do with out it LOL

A856

I'm 78 weeks (18 mths) post today!! Only 6 more months until the big day. My hair is a lot shorter than I expected it to be. I guess i'm a slow grower. About to OD on hair supplements and growth potions so that I can at least be chin length in the front before my BC in December.

I'm just a few weeks behind you (73wks). I agree with my hair being shorter than expected.:ohwell: I know that when I BC I'll have to get a "shape" of some sort so that'll make it shorter. So I'm still transitioning, I think I'll cut some relaxed ends soon, I'm going to see where I am at the end of the year.....maybe.
@the bolded I'm on hair vitamins, hair potion/elixers, LOA etc:yep::lol:
I.will.get.there:lol:

Keep up the good hard work!

Z-kitty

I'm just a few weeks behind you (73wks). I agree with my hair being shorter than expected.:ohwell: I know that when I BC I'll have to get a "shape" of some sort so that'll make it shorter. So I'm still transitioning, I think I'll cut some relaxed ends soon, I'm going to see where I am at the end of the year.....maybe.
@the bolded I'm on hair vitamins, hair potion/elixers, LOA etc:yep::lol:
I.will.get.there:lol:

Keep up the good hard work!

I have been trimming my relaxed ends every chance I get in the back. In the front not so much. A856 what potions are you using? Right now i'm taking one Nioxin a day and just started MSM last weekend. Considering the beemine serum with sulfur.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i read a tip for transitioners on some website that mentioned a warning:

as you trim away relaxed ends, trim less often in the front of your hair so that you have enough hair to put in a ponytail or bun until you actually want to chop. and when you do chop, you may want to start in the back and leave the front longer for the same reason..

i forget the website, i was on search overload, but i thought that was a good tip.

It's been 27 weeks and a day for me. I've got some breakage in the back so I've been playing in the new growth. It's 4b/c back there.
I've got lots of single strand knots and tangles!! :perplexed

I asked my mom if she had issues with my hair being knotted when I was little. She said that's why (in addition to it being super dry) she put a jheri curl in my hair. I knew about the dryness. Not the knots.

Fortunately she said the back of my head was the most difficult to manage. I couldn't imagine my whole head being like it is in the back. :thud:

I will see what my hair likes in the back. I've got a early start on that.

Leslie_C

It's been 27 weeks and a day for me. I've got some breakage in the back so I've been playing in the new growth. It's 4b/c back there.
I've got lots of single strand knots and tangles!! :perplexed

I asked my mom if she had issues with my hair being knotted when I was little. She said that's why (in addition to it being super dry) she put a jheri curl in my hair. I knew about the dryness. Not the knots.

Fortunately she said the back of my head was the most difficult to manage. I couldn't imagine my whole head being like it is in the back. :thud:

I will see what my hair likes in the back. I've got a early start on that.

I think Im in the same boat as you! Im a couple of months behind you (20 weeks) and finding a lot of SSKs too...the back of my head seems to be 4b/4c in certain areas...I think I have about 3 or 4 different textures on my head. The front seems pretty easy to keep moisturized, the back is like hay.

Let me know what you find that your back section likes. So far I have just been applying extra product there and I apply my conditioner like a relaxer to make sure it is distributed all over. I use coconut oil a lot, but I think Ill try castor oil back there since it is heavier. It may seal in moisture longer.

JJamiah

Ladies who use sulphates, My son has very tangly 4a hair. Nothing really worked for his hair until I bought Avon 2 in one Shampoo/conditioner. IT MELTS his tangles out like not bodies business. He washes his hair everyday and combs his hair. FOr my son this is practically nonexistent for him.

Try this if your struggling to detangle your natural hair/transitioning :) :yep:

Carolie

At the command of my dermatologist, I'm going natural for the sake of my scalp. Never had problems before until my last touch up in March. :/ I'm about 15 weeks post now and my roots are driving me crazy! (><)

I've had my hair relaxed since I was 3, so this is starting to become a very intimidating animal to control as I have no idea what I'm dealing with. So far, the only thing that has tamed the tangles is Redken's Real Control moisturizing mask but that's too expensive to use as a cowash too. Any suggestions on a cheaper option that laughs in the face of tangles?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Ladies who use sulphates, My son has very tangly 4a hair. Nothing really worked for his hair until I bought Avon 2 in one Shampoo/conditioner. IT MELTS his tangles out like not bodies business. He washes his hair everyday and combs his hair. FOr my son this is practically nonexistent for him.

Try this if your struggling to detangle your natural hair/transitioning :) :yep:

JJamiah
How old is this baby that loves to CW?

Pinkerton

ZebraPrintLover
That's good to know. I was not looking forward to lopping all the progress I made-what little there is. It seems like it's starting to soften up and form coils like the rest of my hair, so I have high hopes.

Thanks for answering.

JJamiah

@JJamiah
How old is this baby that loves to CW?

My baby is 13 that I am referring too, LOL but my youngest baby is 6 :giggle:

I have four. The oldest has the kinkest texture and the most tender head. He never wanted me to comb his hair, or wash it. :nono: he would have stinky head because he was so Scared to comb his hair. He would CRY, CRY CRY even in double digits (so did his momma, he didn't fall far from the tree) So, I bought the Avon, because I sell it and was like ahhh, those lazy boys don't like to condition. It could help their curls pop. SO I bought a LITER, WHEWWWW I went back and bought like 3 more.

THe Magic Star comb and this shampoo for my son, was like a comb with no teeth. IT glided through his hair, he loves it. I am so happy they made this.

He is a new young man. Shampoos, and smiles when he combs for me, I am sold. I love when their happy!

A856

I have been trimming my relaxed ends every chance I get in the back. In the front not so much. @A856 what potions are you using? Right now i'm taking one Nioxin a day and just started MSM last weekend. Considering the beemine serum with sulfur.

My own concotion of things I'm using up. I'm going to get back on msm hair shakes.

i read a tip for transitioners on some website that mentioned a warning:

as you trim away relaxed ends, trim less often in the front of your hair so that you have enough hair to put in a ponytail or bun until you actually want to chop. and when you do chop, you may want to start in the back and leave the front longer for the same reason..

i forget the website, i was on search overload, but i thought that was a good tip.

The back is what's killing me the most. I think I'll start there! Thanks ladies!

Leslie_C

Carolie said:
At the command of my dermatologist, I'm going natural for the sake of my scalp. Never had problems before until my last touch up in March. :/ I'm about 15 weeks post now and my roots are driving me crazy! (><)
Carolie
I've had my hair relaxed since I was 3, so this is starting to become a very intimidating animal to control as I have no idea what I'm dealing with. So far, the only thing that has tamed the tangles is Redken's Real Control moisturizing mask but that's too expensive to use as a cowash too. Any suggestions on a cheaper option that laughs in the face of tangles?

I swear by silken child detangling spray, its about 3.99 at Sallys. If you give your hair a good spray down with this and give it a minute to soak in, the comb wilk glide right through. I am not caught without this in my stash and have gone through several bottles. If I dont use it, it is a real chore to detangle. I like it.for detangling, but still use another leave in on top bc I def need something heavier than a spray for.conditioning. Hth!

MsDee14

So..for those that have been transitioning for some time now...at how many months post were you able to fit your natural hair in a ponytail?

Rae81

My shrinkage on my natural hair is crazy, so I will be transitioning for a long time

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

newbeginnings2010

I'm a little over 30 weeks post and FINALLY figured out how to get my hair into a decent bun that doesn't puff up. I'm going to do a post on it on my blog some time this evening.

BTW: I know I posted some angry words about Shea Moisture, but I did go ahead and buy the Hair Milk that everyone talks about and I have to say it's GREAT! I used it yesterday and it softened my natural roots almost instantly, and they're still soft today! I'm so glad I finally found something to rid myself of my super dry 4b hair when I air dry.

JJamiah

My shrinkage on my natural hair is crazy, so I will be transitioning for a long time

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

U and me Both LOL :giggle: I was like this is all I have to show LOL nah

I have 25 months before I even consider totally cutting off my ends! That is for consideration! IN a week and a half I will be one year post and that isn't enough to blink at!

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang

I have 25 months before I even consider totally cutting off my ends! That is for consideration! IN a week and a half I will be one year post and that isn't enough to blink at!

JJamiah, I think your underestimating your NG.....when your year comes I want you to measure it cause I think you have lots of growth :yep:.

Rae81

JJamiah said:

It wasn't until I stretched it that I saw it was a lot more than I thought

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D