Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

JJamiah

How do you use this correctly? I have some but have only tried it a couple of times and wasn't really sure how much to use and whether to put any oil or anything under or over it.

other breaking news: THREE DAYS of moisturized hair with shea moisture smoothie! I cant believe it! I think I may ask it to be my babies daddy...who woulda thunk? I actually thought this was more of a styling product and turns out it is the first moisturizer that has EVER worked on my hair! My hair never felt this soft even freshly relaxed relaxed! I now have come down with hand in hair disease! Next tone this stuff goes on sale I'm stocking up!

For extra hold, I put it in my hand mush it around and apply to my hair going back and once it is in I DON"T TOUCH IT AT ALL.

when it gets older I rub it in and brush a little but it doesn't hold as well

Along the edge it is a set it and forget it, in the middle I am able to brush. I have to smear it between my hands, if I glob it on it is too shiney and makes my hair look bad :nono:

shortt29

JJamiah said:
Ors EDGE CONTROL is amazing and it doesn't dry hard. It is the bomb.com when used right. Sometimes I still screw up and use it wrong, globbing it on. :perplexed

Definitely try this :yep:

JJamiah,
I use ORS Edge Control but it doesn't work very long at all. I have tried using it with water, without water, tying it down for a little. It worked great in the beginning but now, it will frizz up after about 2 or 3 hours :( Right now I am still using it but as the summer gets hotter, I don't know if I want to keep walking around with fuzzy edges.

shortt29

ZebraPrintLover said:
Yep I just move them around (high, mid, and low) and KIM.....

shortt29
Im 5 months and I use got2be spiking gel.......It has a tacky feeling but this is the ONLY thing that holds my edges down the WHOLE day and I mean the ONLY thing.
I have used ORS but after a few hours my curlies start popping and mind you I love a sleek polished look. Aint nothing sexy about 5 months of NG and relaxed ends.

Thanks ZebraPrintLover!!! I will definitely try the spiking gel. I love a sleek look as well if I'm going to be pulling my hair back into a bun...

toyas08

Omg my relaxed hair got super matted after washing and I wanted to cut all off but I took my time and got those huge tangles out. I lost a good amount of hair. I can't wait for this transition to be over.

GeorginaSparks

GUYS IM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO HERE.

I took my weave out and detangled everything was fine. I saturate with knot today and jump in the shower, shampooed, joico kpak then moisturizing conditioner. My relaxed ends were all tangled up while trying to detangle in the shower so i got out.
I saturated with knot today again and OMG there were knots and ****. There was this huge knot, i CUT it out i didnt GAF at that point.

Then I trimmed off about 2 inches and kept combing and cut another 3 inches. I wanted to cut it all but i want to be able to wear a bun. I sitting here not sure what happened but i think my big mistake was not detangling in sections while in the shower!!

My hair is very fine which is why i wanted to go back to natural again so im not surprised about the fragility of the relaxed ends. Im just not sure what else i can use/do to prevent tangles with the ends. Any ULTRA-DETANGLING CONDITIONERS i need to try? I dont think this knot today is working out.

Im sorry this was somewhat a vent and cry of help. Sorry for the long post.

ETA: I also need a brush that wont damage my hair for brushing into a ponytail/bun.

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I have one but I the one with the soft bristle i feel is too soft and the one with the medium is too harsh on my hair it will rip it out. Is there something similar to the denman....with more space between the teeth?

shockolate
I use the knockoff denman to detangle and get shed hair and stuff out...
I only use the BBB to smooth my edges.

I have a 7 row denman but I took out 2 rows and made it 5.

So what do you want a brush to do for you, I can help you after knowing that?

Last edited:

GeorginaSparks

shockolate
I use the knockoff denman to detangle and get shed hair and stuff out...
I only use the BBB to smooth my edges.

I have a 7 row denman but I took out 2 rows and made it 5.

So what do you want a brush to do for you, I can help you after knowing that?

I have a denman i think the D3. when i was natural, it was great for brushing back into a pony tail and getting out shed hairs like you said. i also used it for my edges but i read so many things about denmans being bad for the hair(tearing and ripping)

i think im looking for something similar to the denman but not damaging.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I have a denman i think the D3. when i was natural, it was great for brushing back into a pony tail and getting out shed hairs like you said. i also used it for my edges but i read so many things about denmans being bad for the hair(tearing and ripping)

i think im looking for something similar to the denman but not damaging.

shockolate, what about a paddle brush?

JJamiah

JJamiah,
I use ORS Edge Control but it doesn't work very long at all. I have tried using it with water, without water, tying it down for a little. It worked great in the beginning but now, it will frizz up after about 2 or 3 hours :( Right now I am still using it but as the summer gets hotter, I don't know if I want to keep walking around with fuzzy edges.

Really, I works for 24 hours for me atleast. It definitely doesn't last until the next day. Awwww, When I need a firmer hold I use the brown gel :yep:

GeorginaSparks

I lost a handful of relaxed ends again today. At one point, i lost it, grabbed my denman and yanked it through the hair. Applied KCCC and used the denman to smooth it down. And lost MORE hair. I need a gentler brush that will get down to my roots without ripping my hair out pls. :(

I lost a handful of relaxed ends again today. At one point, i lost it, grabbed my denman and yanked it through the hair. Applied KCCC and used the denman to smooth it down. And lost MORE hair. I need a gentler brush that will get down to my roots without ripping my hair out pls. :(

Are you snipping at least every six weeks? That can help you big time. Once I did that, I was losing less hair.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Omg my relaxed hair got super matted after washing and I wanted to cut all off but I took my time and got those huge tangles out. I lost a good amount of hair. I can't wait for this transition to be over.

it must be the week for this. this happened to me too this week. i was late for work because i had to spend 30 extra minutes gently undoing matted hair. lesson learned, never do more than 4 days with out conditioning my hair. it just doesn't work. i have way too much new growth.

soooooo ladies, i got weaved up for the summer to give myself a break. i was handling my hair just fine, but now that it is hotter, i just wanted a break from my hair for awhile.

i actually got a weave that is shorter than my own hair. i have never done that before. it's kinda weird.

here's a pic of my summer do.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 44

havilland

please get a rake. mason pearson makes a good one, but i would suggest a good wide wide tooth comb or a long prong afro pick. finger comb your hair with conditioner in it, then gently go through section by section to detangle and remove shed hair.

i usually have better success with deep conditioned hair after i rinse the conditioner out, but most ladies do very well detangling with their hair sopping in conditioner before they rinse it. try both and see what works.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Really, I works for 24 hours for me atleast. It definitely doesn't last until the next day. Awwww, When I need a firmer hold I use the brown gel :yep:

JJamiah
See you got that baby hair, this grown a$$ ***** hair on my head need something stronger LOL

shockolate
You said it worked for you on your natural hair but it ripping your hair out now......My question when was the last time you DC or used a good protein treatment. Maybe your hair is breaking at the line of demarcation. Is it so much that its not shed hair, are you looking at the pieces?:look:

havilland

JJamiah,

i use ampro brown gel with a dab of oil mixed in to keep my hair from being dry. also, i do not comb or brush once that stuff is in my hair. i rinse it out in the shower.

when my hair is cooperating and very clean and freshly conditioned, i can use ORS edge control or a homemade hair gel i make with a recipe memyselfandi gave me with guar gum and aloe vera. but in a pinch, brown gel works every time!:grin:

Last edited:

janeemat

it must be the week for this. this happened to me too this week. i was late for work because i had to spend 30 extra minutes gently undoing matted hair. lesson learned, never do more than 4 days with out conditioning my hair. it just doesn't work. i have way too much new growth.

soooooo ladies, i got weaved up for the summer to give myself a break. i was handling my hair just fine, but now that it is hotter, i just wanted a break from my hair for awhile.

i actually got a weave that is shorter than my own hair. i have never done that before. it's kinda weird.

here's a pic of my summer do.

It looks really nice!

JJamiah

@JJamiah
See you got that baby hair, this grown a$$ ***** hair on my head need something stronger LOL

@shockolate
You said it worked for you on your natural hair but it ripping your hair out now......My question when was the last time you DC or used a good protein treatment. Maybe your hair is breaking at the line of demarcation. Is it so much that its not shed hair, are you looking at the pieces?:look:

You know what :giggle: :lachen: :spank: :lachen: :lachen:

U a mess LOL

GeorginaSparks

Are you snipping at least every six weeks? That can help you big time. Once I did that, I was losing less hair.
Just took my weave out yesterday. I do trim regularly apart from that.

I did a protein treatment yesterday and DC'ed. Just took my weave out after 9 weeks. I think it is shed hair but WHY SO MUCH? I was trying to start airdrying but i think im going to start blowdrying i cant afford to lost anymore hair.

newbeginnings2010

Hi ladies. I'm just checking in. I'm 30 weeks post now and I just finished taking down my plaits and braids done on my own hair. Now it's in 6 sections and ready to be washed. I'm thinking I'll be bunning until August 6th when I start my new job. I just have to find a way to combat the severe dryness of my natural roots after washing my hair. I'm hoping a good DC and protein conditioner after will make the difference. DCing alone isn't working for me. Maybe I'll try an ACV rinse as well. I'll keep you posted!

ETA: Oh, and I also gave myself a 2 inch trim. I haven't had one since November, so I was WAY overdue! :blush:

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I did a protein treatment yesterday and DC'ed. Just took my weave out after 9 weeks. I think it is shed hair but WHY SO MUCH? I was trying to start airdrying but i think im going to start blowdrying i cant afford to lost anymore hair.

I actual like blow drying, bc if I airdry my middle starts to lock together. I have coils in the middle....so I wait until I am like 85% then blowdry real quick

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
After letting the above sit on for like an hour I rinsed it out in the shower and applied WGO and EVCO mixture to my NG area and then slathered on my DC which consisted of WGO and EVCO mix, Aussie 3 min, and ORS Replenishing stuff in the pack.

Will be sleeping in this for a few hours. I have on 2 shower caps and a du rag.

I had a wonderful twist-out today. I decided to take a pic. As I am preparing a nice pose and getting prepared to use my camera phone -- dang it, I don't have a sim card for the camera portion.

Ugh! Anyway, I hope everyone's having a good weekend and tending to their lovely hair! I snipped some more relaxed ends, ya'll. I don't know if I'll make three years of transtitioning, lol.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
i will start doing that and refrain from touching my hair with a comb/brush while it's wet.

Try it to see for like 2 washes or so.....I have very fine hair and I would be bald if I sat her and tried to detangle on "out the shower" hair.

I detangle while in the shower underneath the running water and then I dont touch it until I get ready to blowdry, I just leave it wrapped up in the t-shirt until it is dang near dry.