Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Thanks for the suggestion. I do an ACV as a final rinse about every week or two (for scalp issues and closing the cuticle) and I clarified at the beginning of May when I started this new regimen...so yea maybe its time to clarify again. Is once every 4-6 weeks enough? I still have a bottle of neutrogena anti-residue shampoo...do you think that is ok as long as I dilute it?

The weird thing is, the severe dryness is only in my crown/middle of the back of my head(an area about the size of my palm)...everything else is managable soft. This is the same area where Ive suffered breakage even before transitioning. Is it possible its just overprocessed hair and then I have scab hair coming out at the root? Its very rough textured, its shorter than the rest of my hair, and it doesnt curl or show definition as well with my styles as the rest of my hair. My front, sides, and nape have good amount of newgrowth (2 inches or so) and they are soft and managable. Ill be smooth sailing if I can get my trouble zone to get with the program!

Debating on doing my hair tonight or in the morning. Guess Ill prepoo now while I decide. Nah actually Ill wait til after my hubby gets home from work so he can see I did look fly or at least somewhat presentable at some point today lol.:look:

My crown is drier and more tightly curled as well. I spritz a little rosewater & glycerin and apply a light oil I wait a few for it to absorb and finger comb. That keeps I under control.

Leslie_C

My crown is drier and more tightly curled as well. I spritz a little rosewater & glycerin and apply a light oil I wait a few for it to absorb and finger comb. That keeps I under control.

hawaiian silky, s curl, etc make my hair hard...I was thinking my hair may not like glycerin much. I tried a spritz with rosewater and aloe vera juice and jojoba and my hair didnt seem to like that either. My hair hardly likes anything for moisture besides cowashing and dc'ing!:ohwell: It does respond well to coconut and castor oil but those are more like sealants...Im at a loss! Im going to bite the bullet and try qhemet alma and olive heavy cream and see if my hair may like that for moisture...I havent seen really anybody say they didnt like that stuff!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
hawaiian silky, s curl, etc make my hair hard...I was thinking my hair may not like glycerin much. I tried a spritz with rosewater and aloe vera juice and jojoba and my hair didnt seem to like that either. My hair hardly likes anything for moisture besides cowashing and dc'ing!:ohwell: It does respond well to coconut and castor oil but those are more like sealants...Im at a loss! Im going to bite the bullet and try qhemet alma and olive heavy cream and see if my hair may like that for moisture...I havent seen really anybody say they didnt like that stuff!

If your hair likes cowashing then it likes water based moisturizers. Try diluting some of your conditioner with some water and apply a small amount to your problem area, then, since your hair likes castor oil and coconut oil, apply that to seal and lubricate those strands so their is slip to aid you in styling and detangling.

Side note- my hair likes glycerin. Hates castor and coconut oil. It only works for me if I blend the oil into something else. I think that is interesting that we are opposites like that. :)

Leslie_C

If your hair likes cowashing then it likes water based moisturizers. Try diluting some of your conditioner with some water and apply a small amount to your problem area, then, since your hair likes castor oil and coconut oil, apply that to seal and lubricate those strands so their is slip to aid you in styling and detangling.

Side note- my hair likes glycerin. Hates castor and coconut oil. It only works for me if I blend the oil into something else. I think that is interesting that we are opposites like that. :)

Thanks, I will try that! I need to find which conditioners I have that dont have cones bc I dont want it building up too much. Good point and yep that is so interesting how different heads of hair like different things...often the same "hair type" too. I want to send my hair off to be analyzed but I think Ill wait til its all natural or until I have more natural hair so I can cut the natural part to send in. Livecurlylivefree.com will tell you everything you need to know about your hair type, density, porosity, etc for...19.95 LOL.:lol:.....hey dont knock it, that 20 bucks could save me hundreds of dollars wasted on hair products that dont work lol.

off to work....
<----------she works hard for the money!

Highly Favored8

I am 18 months post relaxer..Already taken off all relaxed ends. I am little past neck length. When I was relaxed 18 months ago, I was almost full APL.... On my way to BSL....

Now, by December 2012, I am planning to be APL....I will also be 24 months post. The best move/decision I ever made about my hair and I am loving it...:yep:

JJamiah

I am in braids for the next 3 weeks and then getting this done again. When I go back to school I am really going to just put my hair up for a month at a time so I could concentrate on school.

Co-washed my hair today after the gym by untwisting my hair and twisting them back. Afterwards, I took them down, detangled, moisturized, sealed, and retwisted one by one. It was much easier than what I used to do (cowash/shampoo loose hair, detangle, moisturize, seal, and twist). I was so late to the party!

This summer I'll just keep my hair in big twists and twist outs. It's so easy to keep up.

Leslie_C

Guys! Im SO happy that my hair wasnt dry at all today! I set it last night and didnt even put anything on it today and it still feels great! I think the key was shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie (after kimmaytubes leave in sealed with coconut oil lol)....I think this might be what my hair needed! It was the first time I tried it and this is the best my hair has felt since I started transitioning! Stay tuned! :) Wow what a major difference!
good news: soft moisturized perfect curls!
bad news: side eye from hubby when he saw my frohawk lol...he said I looked like Bill Cosby's wife in the early years...and went on to say it looked kind of like a mohawk....I said that was my goal lol. I got compliments at work though. He just aint ready ;0)

I am about 10 months post relaxer and now that the summer humidity is starting I am having a harder time dealing with both textures. I flatironed on Sunday, and as soon as I walked out the door on Monday morning my natural hair reverted. So, then I decided I'd try to do some spiral curls with perm rods last night. They came out good this morning, but I think I messed something up in the process, because now they are falling and my 4-5 inches of natural hair is all puffy or curly. Maybe I should have used more setting lotion. I don't know. I feel like I can't win for trying this week, and I'm getting frustrated. Instead of running for the creamy crack I decided to get on here and vent 'cause I know you ladies relate to my frustration.

What are y'all doing to maintain your hair in the heat and humidity? I have never had a weave and have not had braids in at least 10 years, since I had a traumatic experience with them damaging my edges. I'm looking for advice on how to deal with both textures while still wearing cute styles for the summer.

A856

I'll be 73wks (1yr 5mo) this weekend. I'm getting closer and closer to chopping off the relaxed ends. I originally said I'd do a check in June; here we are in June and I'm thinking of going until the end of the year and cutting it all off.
My biggest stall on the chop is that I have to find the RIGHT stylist that specializes in natural hair.
Until then I'm managing with what I have...some days are better than others.

janeemat

I am about 10 months post relaxer and now that the summer humidity is starting I am having a harder time dealing with both textures. I flatironed on Sunday, and as soon as I walked out the door on Monday morning my natural hair reverted. So, then I decided I'd try to do some spiral curls with perm rods last night. They came out good this morning, but I think I messed something up in the process, because now they are falling and my 4-5 inches of natural hair is all puffy or curly. Maybe I should have used more setting lotion. I don't know. I feel like I can't win for trying this week, and I'm getting frustrated. Instead of running for the creamy crack I decided to get on here and vent 'cause I know you ladies relate to my frustration.

What are y'all doing to maintain your hair in the heat and humidity? I have never had a weave and have not had braids in at least 10 years, since I had a traumatic experience with them damaging my edges. I'm looking for advice on how to deal with both textures while still wearing cute styles for the summer.

I am stretching and I would like to know this too. The humidity is wrecking havoc on my hair. I am 4 months post did a rollerset and blew out the roots. As soon as I walked outside my curls dropped frizzed up.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
The great thing about transitioning without the big chop is that you retain EVERY inch of natural growth and you can be assured of it because it is the relaxed/ texlaxed ends that would incur the damage and they will be cut anyway.

Hooray for all the brave, tenacious long term transitioners!

:dance7::bouncy::yahoo:

Unless there's breakage at the line of demarcation. Then the natural ends are exposed and possibly broken.

*looks around in silence*

EVERYBODY PANIC!!! :drowning::nervous2::skitzo:

:giggle:

Nah. Don't panic. Just being impish because I had insomnia last night. :giggle:

As you were. :yep:

Leslie_C

What products did you put in your hair before you rolled it? You may have needed more setting lotion or you might need something different. Also, have you tried curlformers? OMG best thing since sliced bread. Smoothes out the hair root to tip even without heat!

There is a generic version on ebay that is dirt cheap. I bought the originals when they first came out to do my own hair for my wedding in spirals, but Im going to buy a set of the generic ones on ebay too so I can do more....I lost a few and I had to grab larger sections or hair to make sure I had enough to finish as I got close to the end. It gave me 2 day hair...the first day it didnt fall hardly at all (I used shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie as a moisturizer and elasta qp setting foam on top). I pincurled last night and today I wore a headband...they were looser today but it still worked out ok. Then I got in the shower without a shower cap this evening and my curls are no more lol. Im feeling lazy so I just put in 4 bantu knots (would normally do 10 to 15) so tomorrow will be a puff or pinup. Note to self: invest in a shower cap.

Best of all, my hair has been super soft for 48 whole hours so far...first.time.ever (since transitioning). I cant believe I can put my fingers in my roots in the back and it doesnt feel like straw! Im ecstatic!

Pinkerton

Longtime lurker, first time poster here.
Today will be 14 weeks since my last relaxer. My original plan was to transition as long as I can stand it, estimating that it would be a few months at best, but with some very helpful tips from this forum I'm going pretty strong. Now I'm torn between chopping off my relaxed ends by the end of the year because I really want to see all my natural texture. Or waiting a year so I have something longer to work with.

I'm 6 months post now. :woot: I've had some relaxed hair breakage particularly in the back, but I'm okay with that. I was tired of feeling like I have to have a touch up on schedule or else my hair wasn't going to look right or it was going to break off. I'm looking forward to it being the same texture all the time.

JJamiah

I am up under wigs, I definitely and lost at trying to find a style for the summer. I am going on vacation and I was going to get my hair braided but I might just take my flat Iron and 2 half wigs so I can wear my hair or half wig it if I don't want to do much.

I just want to say:

Ladies, you will have breakage. It's okay. Just baby your hair until it coos. The breakage I've encountered were relaxed ends (not at the line of demarcation). But, I kept it moving by conditioning, moisturizing, sealing, etc., I refused to let it stop my transition.

Don't let it stop you. Here to help always!

shortt29

I mostly bun or low pony with the ends tucked in but I'm getting to where these edges are not looking presentable anymore (almost 4 months post). I am afraid that some of the products I am already using to attempt to lay these edges down will cause more damage than good and I'm already trying to grow out healthy edges. I use a scarf for about 15 minutes before I get to work, however within 2-3 hours I have a bush in the front of my head :( What are you ladies using to lay your edges down? So they look presentable at the most...

LuvlyLife

Guys! Im SO happy that my hair wasnt dry at all today! I set it last night and didnt even put anything on it today and it still feels great! I think the key was shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie (after kimmaytubes leave in sealed with coconut oil lol)....I think this might be what my hair needed! It was the first time I tried it and this is the best my hair has felt since I started transitioning! Stay tuned! :) Wow what a major difference!
good news: soft moisturized perfect curls!
bad news: side eye from hubby when he saw my frohawk lol...he said I looked like Bill Cosby's wife in the early years...and went on to say it looked kind of like a mohawk....I said that was my goal lol. I got compliments at work though. He just aint ready ;0)

Sheamoisture is really doing well for me also. When I used it the first, two times it didn't do too well but the third and now my hair feeling great.

JJamiah

I mostly bun or low pony with the ends tucked in but I'm getting to where these edges are not looking presentable anymore (almost 4 months post). I am afraid that some of the products I am already using to attempt to lay these edges down will cause more damage than good and I'm already trying to grow out healthy edges. I use a scarf for about 15 minutes before I get to work, however within 2-3 hours I have a bush in the front of my head :( What are you ladies using to lay your edges down? So they look presentable at the most...

Ors EDGE CONTROL is amazing and it doesn't dry hard. It is the bomb.com when used right. Sometimes I still screw up and use it wrong, globbing it on. :perplexed

Definitely try this :yep:

Leslie_C

JJamiah said:
Ors EDGE CONTROL is amazing and it doesn't dry hard. It is the bomb.com when used right. Sometimes I still screw up and use it wrong, globbing it on. :perplexed

Definitely try this :yep:

How do you use this correctly? I have some but have only tried it a couple of times and wasn't really sure how much to use and whether to put any oil or anything under or over it.

other breaking news: THREE DAYS of moisturized hair with shea moisture smoothie! I cant believe it! I think I may ask it to be my babies daddy...who woulda thunk? I actually thought this was more of a styling product and turns out it is the first moisturizer that has EVER worked on my hair! My hair never felt this soft even freshly relaxed relaxed! I now have come down with hand in hair disease! Next tone this stuff goes on sale I'm stocking up!

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
This is me...all day, err'day :look:

Hence the reason why my SO is entertaining me cutting, he's says you got all that hair and don't know what to do with it.:spinning:

I'm in the same boat. Bun after bun after bun.

Yep I just move them around (high, mid, and low) and KIM.....

shortt29
Im 5 months and I use got2be spiking gel.......It has a tacky feeling but this is the ONLY thing that holds my edges down the WHOLE day and I mean the ONLY thing.
I have used ORS but after a few hours my curlies start popping and mind you I love a sleek polished look. Aint nothing sexy about 5 months of NG and relaxed ends.