Toys in Church???

LivingDoll

Hi y'all...

This has been bugging me for a while. I have seen so many parents allow their kids to take toys to church...Gameboys, PSPs, dolls, coloring books, etc. I don't allow DD to do this. Although she sits quietly and listens to the Word, she's often asked me if she can take something to church to play with (because she sees other kids doing it)...:nono: My answer is ALWAYS an emphatic NO!

Why are people allowing their children to do this? It's utterly disrespectful to the Lord! Am I the only one who feels this way?

Last edited:
My parents didn't allow us to bring toys to church, but we did carry children's Bibles or Christian books. I hated children's church, and I never participated when it was offered. They always talked to us like we were realllllllllllly SLOW, and I ABHORRED coloring:look:. With that said, I believe that children should have an option of attending children's church (if offered) or sitting down quietly in the main sanctuary with something (books, coloring books, etc.) age-appropriate AND religious in nature.

Last edited:
Why aren't the kids in children's church or the nursery?
I agree...depending on how old the child was and how long the service was I wouldnt expect them to sit for that long. The longest I can sit for is 1.5 hours if that. I get antsy. I think things like coloring books, christian childrens books, or flash cards are harmless. but I wouldnt allow the video games. to each their own however.

My parents didn't allow us to bring toys to church, but we did carry children's Bibles or Christian books. I hated children's church, and I never participated when it was offered. They always talked to us like we were realllllllllllly SLOW, and I ABHORRED coloring:look:.

That's very unfortunate. I was raised with the notion that kids don't belong in adult church. They don't learn anything and sometimes they can be disruptive to other members and their parents.

More churches need to get on board so that parents want to leave their kids in children's church or the nursery.

In worship service I don't allow toys, but normally he's not in the sanctuary. He goes downstairs to Junior Devotion where they do more age appropriate activities for them.

I agree...depending on how old the child was and how long the service was I wouldnt expect them to sit for that long. The longest I can sit for is 1.5 hours if that. I get antsy. I think things like coloring books, christian childrens books, or flash cards are harmless. but I wouldnt allow the video games. to each their own however.

I see children's church as a place for kids to socialize with their peers and get the church foundation they need. When I was 15/16, I assisted with children's church and there were some kids who would act all grown when their parents would drop them off (i.e. "Bye mama, I'm going to MY church now":lachen:).

I don't mind things like books or action figures but when you let your child play PSP during church, that is uncalled for. The one thing that gets me is how some parents do not tell their children to be quiet. I shouldn't hear your child yelling touchdown during service because he just made a touchdown while playing madden on his PSP (This really happened :ohwell:). I think this teaches a child that church isn't serious. The little kid that is playing gameboy during church is probably going to turn into an adult that's on his or her blackberry during the whole service.

I will not lie. when my son was younger I allowed him to carry a book or 1 silent action figure.

Definitely no video games.

I see children's church as a place for kids to socialize with their peers and get the church foundation they need. When I was 15/16, I assisted with children's church and there were some kids who would act all grown when their parents would drop them off (i.e. "Bye mama, I'm going to MY church now":lachen:).
:lachen::lachen::lachen:I remember that. They had several activities like that at my late stepmother's church. My junior pastor Adolf thought he was the stuff:lachen: But he was good at what he did and eventually followed in his father's footsteps :yep:

My grandmothers church was not child friendly however and she completely turned me off from ever attending curch up until a few weeks ago:look:

At my church, children's church is only offered at the 9:30am service. Those of us who attend 7:30 or 11:30 have our children with us in the sanctuary. I would allow a christian book and certainly a bible but I've seen PLENTY of kids that were playing video games. It definitely gives the child the impression that hearing the Word isn't serious.

A few weeks ago, I sat next to a boy (i guess he was about 14 or 15) who was playing with another boy 2 rows in front of him! They were laughing and he was taking pics of people in the congregation with his cell phone...he would then flash the phone pic so that the boy ahead of him could see. The boy's parents in the row ahead of me where so engrossed in the service (which is great) that they had no clue what their son was doing. There was nothing I could do, so I ignored them the best I could. I was angered though because it was distracting me from the Word.

Last edited:
^^^At 14 and 15, you are OLD and CRUSTY. Those young men were TOO old for that. I thought you were talking about the babies...

^^^At 14 and 15, you are OLD and CRUSTY. Those young men were TOO old for that. I thought you were talking about the babies...

No that was only one instance...I was talking about children from like 5-10 actually having toys, games and stuff.

At my church, children's church is only offered at the 9:30am service. Those of us who attend 7:30 or 11:30 have our children with us in the sanctuary. I would allow a christian book and certainly a bible but I've seen PLENTY of kids that were playing video games. It definitely gives the child the impression that hearing the Word isn't serious.

A few weeks ago, I sat next to a boy (i guess he was about 14 or 15) who was playing with another boy 2 rows in front of him! They were laughing and he was taking pics of people in the congregation with his cell phone...he would then flash the phone pic so that the boy ahead of him could see. The boy's parents in the row ahead of me where so engrossed in the service (which is great) that they had no clue what their son was doing. There was nothing I could do, so I ignored them the best I could. I was angered though because it was distracting me from the Word.

I really don't know what to say. I'm pretty speechless (for once). :nono:

The church we go to has children's church for every service 8, 9, 10:30, 11:30 and Bible study on wednesdays. I always get happy/sad when I see the kids come out with their craft and little verse bracelets they made saying Mama/Dad 100x to get their parent's attention so that they can show them what they learned.

The church we go to has children's church for every service 8, 9, 10:30, 11:30 and Bible study on wednesdays. I always get happy/sad when I see the kids come out with their craft and little verse bracelets they made saying Mama/Dad 100x to get their parent's attention so that they can show them what they learned.

LOL @ being speechless...yes, it was as bad as I described...probably worse. I was so angry...that messed with my spirit the whole day.

I may switch services so that DD can go to children's church more often.

Sooo....

toys in church.... toys w/sound clearly are inappropriate....

From a church administration standpoint I ask: has anybody ever said anything to anybody about this issue at your respective churches? An usher? The pastor? Anyone?

Children will be children, yes. My mom allowed us to have coloring books and something to write with. That was "decades" ago!:blush:

Today's children have so much more coming at them (they're of the electronic age, TV, etc.) at home and elsewhere and to expect them to sit still and quiet is a bit much without appropriate home training.

Also, children's church is designed to accommodate their growing and curious minds and to attend to the gospel that is age appropriate, with more activities and time to play, etc.

LOL @ being speechless...yes, it was as bad as I described...probably worse. I was so angry...that messed with my spirit the whole day.

I may switch services so that DD can go to children's church more often.

I hope your DD likes it/your church has a good service. It saddens me to hear that some churches lack a good children's church. Keep us updated. :yep:

as large as my church is we dont have a children' church and I actually wouldnt allow my kids to go if we did...

my pastor incorporates children into the regular worship svc

that said, I hate to see kids with video games, books etc.. just as bad, Ive seen kids SLEEP thru the entire svc

Sooo....

toys in church.... toys w/sound clearly are inappropriate....

From a church administration standpoint I ask: has anybody ever said anything to anybody about this issue at your respective churches? An usher? The pastor? Anyone?

Children will be children, yes. My mom allowed us to have coloring books and something to write with. That was "decades" ago!:blush:

Today's children have so much more coming at them (they're of the electronic age, TV, etc.) at home and elsewhere and to expect them to sit still and quiet is a bit much without appropriate home training.

Also, children's church is designed to accommodate their growing and curious minds and to attend to the gospel that is age appropriate, with more activities and time to play, etc.

I have no idea...that's a good question. I'll look into it. The home training is a great point...that's where my thoughts were headed when i started this thread

I hope your DD likes it/your church has a good service. It saddens me to hear that some churches lack a good children's church. Keep us updated. :yep:

I will.

as large as my church is we dont have a children' church and I actually wouldnt allow my kids to go if we did...

that said, I hate to see kids with video games, books etc.. just as bad, Ive seen kids SLEEP thru the entire svc

Children and young adults are often incorporated into our services as well...and yes, I've seen kids and adults sleep thru the entire service too. Small kids, I can understand...but a rusty butt man? Come on people!

Last edited:
I have a friend who really babied her son when he was around 4 years old. When I went to visit, we went to her church on Sunday & her son was in the choir stand on her lap eating Doritos.

There was big sign on the door of the sanctuary that said no food in the sanctuary.

I had & still have never seen anything like it.

I have a friend who really babied her son when he was around 4 years old. When I went to visit, we went to her church on Sunday & her son was in the choir stand on her lap eating Doritos.

There was big sign on the door of the sanctuary that said no food in the sanctuary.

I hate stuff like that! I used to go to this church where people would leave the trash from candy wrappers and bags of chips in the pews and on the floor. Even sometimes now I'll see a leaflet or program that someone's let their child scribble on, left in the pews or on the floor. I think that's so irresponsible and disrespectful.

I don't see anything wrong with keeping children occupied. I wouldn't say electronic games are appropriate though. Sometimes my daughter goes with me to the main sanctuary and i'll give her a pen and paper and let me doodle. She's 5 going on 6 so I know she needs to be doing something so she won't go crazy. Thankfully she usually goes to the childrens side but sometimes we don't make it in time. When she goes with me she is bored out of her mind. She doesn't understand the importance of a lot of what is being said so why should I expect her to sit there quietly for 2+ hours doing nothing.

Hi y'all...

This has been bugging me for a while. I have seen so many parents allow their kids to take toys to church...Gameboys, PSPs, dolls, coloring books, etc. I don't allow DD to do this. Although she sits quietly and listens to the Word, she's often asked me if she can take something to church to play with (because she sees other kids doing it)...:nono: My answer is ALWAYS an emphatic NO!

Why are people allowing their children to do this? It's utterly disrespectful to the Lord! Am I the only one who feels this way?

I wonder the same thing. I let my oldest take his children's bible on the sundays that there isn't children's church. I feel like anyone at any age can receive the word and age is not an excuse to be playing a game up in the house of God. EVER. It's distracting to people who are trying to pay attention and learn something. Even if it is on mute, I would be fuming mad and wondering why they had it in the first place, instead of paying attention. The pastor is the shephard of the whole congregation, not just the adults.

shoot, you got me all fired up now, because I can't stand it when people text, play games, pass notes, run back and forth to the bathroom, pass babies around, or anything during service.

Hi y'all...

Could you tell me what the abbrevations "dd" and "dh" stand fpr?

Thanks,
Leidell

P.S. I think it's distracting for something like a Gameboy to be brought to church for the child to play with...especially during service...

I don't mind things like books or action figures but when you let your child play PSP during church, that is uncalled for. The one thing that gets me is how some parents do not tell their children to be quiet. I shouldn't hear your child yelling touchdown during service because he just made a touchdown while playing madden on his PSP (This really happened :ohwell:). I think this teaches a child that church isn't serious. The little kid that is playing gameboy during church is probably going to turn into an adult that's on his or her blackberry during the whole service.[/quote]

Amen!!!! My son who is 8 now, has never played any games in church. I make him sit up and pay attention. He reads along with me in the Bible or has his own. When service is over, I explain what the sermon was about and answer any questions that he has. He learns a great deal, and because of that, he witnesses to people in his own little way by explaining what he learns in church--on the Sundays that children's church is not available.

You are better than me, I have been at church and told other people's kids to be quiet and pay attention. If my son was distracting someone like that, I would want them to correct him(afterall, it takes a village right). Then I would want them to let me know so I could make sure it never happened again. IMHO, they were ignoring the kids too. That is selfish to want the word so badly that you would get it at the expense of someone else receiving it. WWJD?

See, someone should have called her out right there for that. At church my own pastor is serious about not having unnecessary disruptions in church service and about respecting the fact that while he is a man speaking, he is delivering a word to us that God has given him to give to us. In essence, it is like being disrepectful to God himself. When you are at church, you should act like you are in the presence of God, because you are.

I dont have any children but I certainly would not let them have any games (esp electronic) in church. I may agree to age appropriate books or things of that nature that they can play with. I also feel that for people to act as if youth cannot be in adult is ridiculous. If you are old enough to go to school and learn you can learn about God. Children's church is a great feature but if that option is not there my child will not sit innattentive. If young Jewish children could learn the whole Pentateuch (sp.) by five, then I expect my child to listen to teachings. I know that I am responsible for them, their, behavior, and knowledge but I cant send teh message that they will not understand.

Thanks,
Leidell

P.S. I think it's distracting for something like a Gameboy to be brought to church for the child to play with...especially during service...

DD=Dear/darling Daughter,
DH=" " Husband
DS=" " Son

Amen!!!! My son who is 8 now, has never played any games in church. I make him sit up and pay attention. He reads along with me in the Bible or has his own. When service is over, I explain what the sermon was about and answer any questions that he has. He learns a great deal, and because of that, he witnesses to people in his own little way by explaining what he learns in church--on the Sundays that children's church is not available.

This is what DD and I do as well. :yep:

You are better than me, I have been at church and told other people's kids to be quiet and pay attention. If my son was distracting someone like that, I would want them to correct him(afterall, it takes a village right). Then I would want them to let me know so I could make sure it never happened again. IMHO, they were ignoring the kids too. That is selfish to want the word so badly that you would get it at the expense of someone else receiving it. WWJD?

Girl, I've seen people catch a serious 'tude about people correcting their kids in church...i need for that not to happen during the Word because I don't wanna lose my religion and disrespect the house of God.

You know what? They may have been ignoring him...I think they're foster parents because they always have a whole pew full of kids, sometimes more than that...

People let their kids do whatever they want to keep them outta their hair! :ohwell:

I dont have any children but I certainly would not let them have any games (esp electronic) in church. I may agree to age appropriate books or things of that nature that they can play with. I also feel that for people to act as if youth cannot be in adult is ridiculous. If you are old enough to go to school and learn you can learn about God. Children's church is a great feature but if that option is not there my child will not sit innattentive. If young Jewish children could learn the whole Pentateuch (sp.) by five, then I expect my child to listen to teachings. I know that I am responsible for them, their, behavior, and knowledge but I cant send teh message that they will not understand.

Exactly! people should stop making excuses for their children and discipline them. I feel that inattentive kids have not been taught any better. Usually their parents take the easy way out and just let them do whatever.

Hi y'all...

I am an usher, and I could fill this thread with the things I have seen parents allow their children to do in church. One mom was making a BOTTLE for her daughter IN THE SANTUARY with Powdered Milk. That mess was everywhere.
My boys, 14, 10 and 5 are always in children's church or the nursery. Our church has outgrown the nursery so if you don't get to church on time (another pet peeve of mine) they will be full.

I will not lie. when my son was younger I allowed him to carry a book or 1 silent action figure.

Definitely no video games.

I see nothing wrong with an action figure. I always check pockets to see if they have "snuck" anything out of the house that isn't appropriate. One time my middle son had his uno cards.:nono:

I have seen teens in church texting each other. That stuff gets confiscated by security, or we get their parents. SMH We shouldn't have to tell a 15 or 16 year old that it isn't right to text each other during service.

It's a beautiful thing Classy. YOU WILL HAVE THAT EXPERIENCE!
The other day I walked in on my baby son singing "Jesus loves me". I cried.

I would rather see a child sleep than be disruptive during the whole service. Then when you tell a parent of a disruptive child about the nursery or children's church they don't want to take them out of the santctuary.:nono:

I hate stuff like that! I used to go to this church where people would leave the trash from candy wrappers and bags of chips in the pews and on the floor. Even sometimes now I'll see a leaflet or program that someone's let their child scribble on, left in the pews or on the floor. I think that's so irresponsible and disrespectful.

I have seen ADULTS come into the santuary w/food/drinks. You would be surprised at the things we find discarded in the sanctuary when we clean up after services.

Thanks,
Leidell

dd: Dear Daughter
dh: Dear Husband

I don't mind things like books or action figures but when you let your child play PSP during church, that is uncalled for. The one thing that gets me is how some parents do not tell their children to be quiet. I shouldn't hear your child yelling touchdown during service because he just made a touchdown while playing madden on his PSP (This really happened :ohwell:). I think this teaches a child that church isn't serious. The little kid that is playing gameboy during church is probably going to turn into an adult that's on his or her blackberry during the whole service.

See, someone should have called her out right there for that. At church my own pastor is serious about not having unnecessary disruptions in church service and about respecting the fact that while he is a man speaking, he is delivering a word to us that God has given him to give to us. In essence, it is like being disrepectful to God himself. When you are at church, you should act like you are in the presence of God, because you are.

ITA! You would be surprised how people react when you ask them to quiet their children. Everybody that's in the church building isn't saved.
One parent (mind you this child is 19) got mad at an usher because she told her daughter that she would have to use one of our blankets to cover up with because her booty shorts and halter top weren't appropriate attire for the sanctuary.

I have been guilty of texting durign service... butits usually to one of my kids that Ive seen out the corner of my eye not doing exactly as I directed them to do... or if my 1 son gets up too many times to go bathroom, water, etc I will text my daughter to say DONT MAKE ME COME OUT OF THIS CHOIR LOFT..... :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I have been guilty of texting durign service... butits usually to one of my kids that Ive seen out the corner of my eye not doing exactly as I directed them to do... or if my 1 son gets up too many times to go bathroom, water, etc I will text my daughter to say DONT MAKE ME COME OUT OF THIS CHOIR LOFT..... :lachen::lachen::lachen:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
That's totally understandable!
I texted my sis the other week. She was on vacation and CECE WINANS was at our church. She missed it and I TOTALLY had to rub it in!:lachen:

Back