Too tight bun...

happyyogi

Hey ladies! Ok, here's the deal--I wear my hair in a bun every day of the week. On the weekends, I wash it and wear it down. However, all and I do mean ALL, of my days of doing my hair, I have worn it too tight. I remember even when i was little and my mom would do my hair, I would take it down and redo the ponytail so that it was tighter! To me, it just looks so much smoother and better with a tight pony. But, I know that this is really causing my hair to grow at a much slower rate. I keep reading about not wearing tight pt in magazines, on hair boards, etc. But, I just don't know how else to wear it! There are days that I can't wait to get off work to let my hair down...my head will even hurt some days! (I can't believe I just admitted that!) I know that it's the reason my hair around the edges are thin looking. So...I was wondering/hoping that you smart ladies would be able to help me with this. What can I do to not have to wear such a tight pt? I use to use rubberbands (I know, I know), but I only use the black ponytail wrappers now. But, I pull it around like 3-4 times! If I only do it like 2 times, it just slides off or doesn't look right. So, please help a sista out! I want to take better care of my hair in 2006 and I KNOW this will be a great start! Thanks for any suggestions!

HairPhoenix

I know what you mean about you head hurting. Yes, that is one sure sign that it's too freekin tight! :lachen:

Have you thought about those bear claws? Or the big barrette type that have a design on one side and the springy metal where your hair goes (for low ponies)? Those have given me more hair freedom and less breakage.

tasha

...also try tying it down with your headtie before you leave with some castor oil/coconut oil/hair polish..etc. that will help it to lay flat and look smooth as well.

Isis

I was able to find small (in circumference), skinnier, satin scrunchies that I can use to make a smooth ponytail/bun without tightness at all. I put it on my hair as is, and I don't even feel it. It looks good too - I do get compliments. I found them my at a regular grocer store and I recently saw similar ones at a dollar store made of satin.
Tightness usually means hair loss at the scalp and hair breakage.

benosayi

I got some spandex from the fabric store for cold weather. One of them looks like have have dimonds on it. I have noticed that it really presses my hair down. Maybe this would elimate the need to pull back tight for you. I also use protectiv around my edges.

P

patient1

How about one chopstick used to hold the bun (or two). I use this with my braid extensions. I make a bun and then put the chopstick through any direction and out the opposite end to make a clean bun.

p1