Ladies who Bun: How tight do you do your ponytail?

cocoberry10

Hi Ladies:

I think I pulled my hair a little too tight today. Sometimes I'll do the ponytail holder twice around. If it's a larger ponytail holder, I can sometimes do 3 times around, but often that makes it too tight, b/c my hair is getting too long for that.

How many times do you wrap the ponytail holder around your head?

Also, if it's too tight, will that cause breakage? Thanks! :)

If im using one of those thin ouchless ones i wrap 2x if im using a cloth or satin one 2x sometimes 3x if the ponytail holder is big. I had been wearing two holders b4 lhcf for years and i would alwasy have a headache at the end of the day. My edges thinned alot. It might not cause breakage but it will def thin out the front of your hair.

SInce ive been wrapping the pony holder only a few times and do daily scalp massages my edges are slowly growing back. I was told if you kinda squinch or squeez your forehead by lifting your eybrows up. if you feel pressure your hair is too tight. HTH and u understand what the hell i said:lachen:

angelita842002 said:
If im using one of those thin ouchless ones i wrap 2x if im using a cloth or satin one 2x sometimes 3x if the ponytail holder is big. I had been wearing two holders b4 lhcf for years and i would alwasy have a headache at the end of the day. My edges thinned alot. It might not cause breakage but it will def thin out the front of your hair.

SInce ive been wrapping the pony holder only a few times and do daily scalp massages my edges are slowly growing back. I was told if you kinda squinch or squeez your forehead by lifting your eybrows up. if you feel pressure your hair is too tight. HTH and u understand what the hell i said:lachen:

Thanks. I have noticed my edges are thinning. I will make sure to do 2x only from now on :)

I don't place my hair in a ponytail prior to bunning. I just gather my hair in the back like I'm forming a ponytail. Then I twist the entire length, coil it and apply some Good Days Hair Pins and I'm good to go.

Allandra said:
I don't place my hair in a ponytail prior to bunning. I just gather my hair in the back like I'm forming a ponytail. Then I twist the entire length, coil it and apply some Good Days Hair Pins and I'm good to go.

This is what I do also. If I've being really lazy I'll make a big ponytail bun, by sort of folding my ponytail in half or thirds and then securing it with a silk scrunchie. I only wrap the scruncie once.

When I use hair pins I don't pull my hair back tight either. Constantly pulling you hair back tight can cause thinning sides and headaches too.

Very, very loosely. I will take it down in a minute if it feels the slightest bit too tight. I try to use satin scrunchies of just the right size so I don't have to wrap it even twice.

But I am now finding that I don't really need a scrunchie or ponytail holder. I can either use a small section of my hair to wrap around the rest, or I gently twist my hair and use Amish Pins, hair sticks, claw clips, etc.

I don't make a ponytail for my braided bun. I gather my hair low at the nape (or on the side), then braid it loosely. Then I roll the braid under and pin it with a Good Hair Day pin or two. I place a pretty scrunchie around the whole thing, with no tension at all or I'll tye a silk ribbon around my bun, again with no tension. This is just for decoration. Sometimes I leave it as is. Only takes a few seconds.

I use the big ole skool satin scrunchies.

My hair isn't pulled tight at all. As a matter of fact it takes a lot for me to go through the whole day without redoing it because it stays so loose.

Thanks for this thread! I was using the ponytail as a protective style during my 6 month stretch (over in December) and I noticed that my edges on both sides and the top were thinning. If I don't use a ponytail holder my hair is too poofed due to a lot of NG (looks like I have on a football helmet LOL), and nothing will lay it down at this point. Any suggestions?

P.S. I have since recovered my edges with MTG!

i pull my hair so tight that when i let my hair loose, my scalp feels sore. I'm getting tired of doing this but it's the only way i know to do it in order to keep my (short) edges from lifting up. I usually put gel on the surface and brush it back into a tight ponytail. I like the way it looks but I would love to hear suggestions on how to get a smooth looking finish with natural hair without having to pull the ponytail so tight. Natural meaning no-relaxer

malachi74 said:
i pull my hair so tight that when i let my hair loose, my scalp feels sore. I'm getting tired of doing this but it's the only way i know to do it in order to keep my (short) edges from lifting up. I usually put gel on the surface and brush it back into a tight ponytail. I like the way it looks but I would love to hear suggestions on how to get a smooth looking finish with natural hair without having to pull the ponytail so tight. Natural meaning no-relaxer

I use to be the same way. Have you tried air drying in a ponytail/bun. I usually cowash at night add my leave ins and oild and put in a bun. This helps me keep my hair flat and pretty straight and in the morning i just have to put in a little more moisturizer and a little bit of jam. I try to do only 2 passes with a brush.

I've just started doing this. All though sometimes it's hard for me to get the sides and edges to look right. Any suggestions?

Allandra said:

Last edited:
Doll said:
If I don't use a ponytail holder my hair is too poofed due to a lot of NG (looks like I have on a football helmet LOL), and nothing will lay it down at this point. Any suggestions?
When I have that much new growth, I dampen my hair daily, smooth it back as much as I can with my hands, maybe "rake" into place with a fine tooth comb, brush the edges with product (i.e. gel and water, castor oil, or whatever) using a baby hair brush, then tie down very tightly with a scarf which I wear for as long as possible in the house and in the car until I have to appear in public. :lol:

I need my ponytail pulled back pretty snugly to keep it neat because my hair is so wavy. I used to use one of the ouchless bands looped around 2 times (or 3 times as the band stretched out and got wider), soaked in olive oil as well, but this was making me nervous about breakage, and I didn't like the "look" of a scrunchy. I was about to throw out a pair of support hose that I wore when I was pregnant...instead I cut the legs to make some super thick and wide "ouchless" type ponytail holders...I got 3 or 4 per leg, and "rolled" them up like the ouchless bands...love it! Haven't seen a broken hair since.

divinefavor said:
I've just started doing this. All though sometimes it's hard for me to get the sides and edges to look right. Any suggestions?
I place a scarf on my hair afterwards (for about an hours or so). This works out well for me.

Whenever I do the ponytail holder tight, I always, always have breakage even though I use soft holders without the metal clamp. The only time a holder has not given me breakage was when I soaked it in oil before putting it in my hair.

There is no point in doing a "protective" style that causes breakage so I mostly try to do my buns without a holder or I use a satin scrunchie; in both cases no breakage.

I don't have the long luscious hair some of the ladies here have so I also have to secure with a ponytail and top with a fake pony and bun with that. I use the ouchless bands and only wrap around 2x's. My hair isn't the thickest, but 2x's is enough. You really just need something to hold the hair up.

AND NO GEL!!! That will def thin out edges. I use plain old Aloe Vera Gel as my natural gel, brush a little bit, tie my head up and go to sleep. It also seem to moisturize my hair! When I wake up, no matter how much NG, I'm smooth sailing!

malachi74 said:

LOL, I'm addicted to gel. I keep telling myself that I will stop using it after all that i have read about the harmful effects of gel, but the jars on my dresser call out to me...especially the alcohol-free ones. I figure they can't be that bad if they are alcohol-free, right? I'm sorry but I know of nothing else that will hold my hair down. Isn't aloe vera gel still gel?

Doll said:
Thanks for this thread! I was using the ponytail as a protective style during my 6 month stretch (over in December) and I noticed that my edges on both sides and the top were thinning. If I don't use a ponytail holder my hair is too poofed due to a lot of NG (looks like I have on a football helmet LOL), and nothing will lay it down at this point. Any suggestions?

P.S. I have since recovered my edges with MTG!

Maybe you can use the ponytail holder and let it dry a few hours, so it lays flat (I also use a satin scarf after putting in ponytail holder and that helps it lay flat). Then take ponytail holder out and rebun.

cocoberry10 said:
Hi Ladies:

I think I pulled my hair a little too tight today. Sometimes I'll do the ponytail holder twice around. If it's a larger ponytail holder, I can sometimes do 3 times around, but often that makes it too tight, b/c my hair is getting too long for that.

How many times do you wrap the ponytail holder around your head?

Also, if it's too tight, will that cause breakage? Thanks! :)

Only once or twice depending on the holder. And I do believe you will have breakage, especially around the edges, if you make it too tight.

camellia said:
This is what I do also. If I've being really lazy I'll make a big ponytail bun, by sort of folding my ponytail in half or thirds and then securing it with a silk scrunchie. I only wrap the scruncie once.

When I use hair pins I don't pull my hair back tight either. Constantly pulling you hair back tight can cause thinning sides and headaches too.

Doesn't your hair have to be long enough to do this? My hair is just past shoulder length and I've tried not using a band and I look a HAM.

Is it that you ladies have really long hair and that makes the difference?

malachi74 said:
LOL, I'm addicted to gel. I keep telling myself that I will stop using it after all that i have read about the harmful effects of gel, but the jars on my dresser call out to me...especially the alcohol-free ones. I figure they can't be that bad if they are alcohol-free, right? I'm sorry but I know of nothing else that will hold my hair down. Isn't aloe vera gel still gel?

Before LHCF, I used to be addicted to gel too, I bunned every day even then and would use SOOO much of it, coating the entire top surface of my hair sometimes! As you know, the problem with "real" gel is that the ingredients which give you the hold also dry out and break the hair. Aloe vera gel, I guess, gives moisture without the holding ingredients, and your scarf "sets" the hold. Now, when I use "real" gel I use the smallest amount I possibly can (pea-sized), put oil or pomade in my hand next to the gel, wet my other palm and rub everything together, then apply to my edges.

But, black castor oil, by itself is great for slicking down edges too. Actually, since I got that, I don't think I have used gel at all.

Back