To trim before or after relaxer

s_terry

I am very very very lightly texted and plan on relaxing sometime in May. I have been taking care of my hair. Some areas are little straighter on the ends than other areas. It's hard to tell if I really need a trim without straightening. I really have no desire to straighten using heat in order to trim.I currently use no heat. Do you think I can trim now without causing unevenness or get a true picture of what needs to be trimmed? Or should I wait until I am relaxed to trim? I am wondering if I am defeating my growth and retention potential if I don't trim now instead of waiting another 6-8 wks. Would trimming now or later give me more healthy results and having less to trim once I relax? what do you all think?

SouthernGirl

s_terry said:
I am very very very lightly texted and plan on relaxing sometime in May. I have been taking care of my hair. Some areas are little straighter on the ends than other areas. It's hard to tell if I really need a trim without straightening. I really have no desire to straighten using heat in order to trim.I currently use no heat. Do you think I can trim now without causing unevenness or get a true picture of what needs to be trimmed? Or should I wait until I am relaxed to trim? I am wondering if I am defeating my growth and retention potential if I don't trim now instead of waiting another 6-8 wks. Would trimming now or later give me more healthy results and having less to trim once I relax? what do you all think?

Hi S_Terry,

I personally prefer to trim after a relaxer b/c my hair is it's straightest. I relaxed a few days ago and trimmed a couple inches the same day. My hair starts growing pretty fast after a relaxer so I want to make sure it's as even as possible. Having said that, I wear a blunt cut, so maybe it's better to do it that way for blunts. If your hair is layered, maybe it won't matter.

Let's see how some other ladies weigh in.

Thanks,

SG

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
ITA with SG. I trim after a relxer when my hair is the straightest. I can't see trimming while I have alot of new growth.