This may be a crazy question but...

Ms_CoCo37

Do you straighten your hair before trimming your ends? Or just trim it in its natural state?

Before, I would trim after straightening it out...but now I'm not sure if that's the best method...what with having to use direct heat.:perplexed

I appreciate your input...I'm learning so much on this board!:yep:

Ronnieaj

I've had both done (I don't do my own trims). My curls actually fell better when my hair was straightened first, but my hair had a better wash n go look when it was cut curly, because you knew exactly how the hair would fall. It depends on my mood, but I have to plan for trimming when my hair's straight, because I straighten only twice a year.

BrownEyez22

I trim on straight/stretched hair, my skrinkage is kinda crazy and I don't wanna accidently cut off too much hair. Some naturals trim with their hair in twists.

mzcris

Hi there...I have done both to see which method works best for me. The best one for me is to make sure my hair is straight before I dust my ends.

Ms_CoCo37

I've had both done (I don't do my own trims). My curls actually fell better when my hair was straightened first, but my hair had a better wash n go look when it was cut curly, because you knew exactly how the hair would fall. It depends on my mood, but I have to plan for trimming when my hair's straight, because I straighten only twice a year.

I want to get to where you are! :)

I'm trying to break myself out of straightening it out so much...but I really do need a trim (probably more like a cut).

Ms_CoCo37

I trim on straight/stretched hair, my skrinkage is kinda crazy and I don't wanna accidently cut off too much hair. Some naturals trim with their hair in twists.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of (accidentally cutting too much). I would like to know more about trimming in twists. Thanks for the tip!

Qurlyqt

When I'm dusting my hair, I leave it in its natural state, twist, and snip ends. However, when I get a professional cut/trim (once a year), I always straighten first for a more precise cut. :yep:

Ms_CoCo37

When I'm dusting my hair, I leave it in its natural state, twist, and snip ends. However, when I get a professional cut/trim (once a year), I always straighten first for a more precise cut. :yep:

Your hair is beyond gorgeous!!! I think I'll try the twist and snip. Do the ends of your twists unravel after you clip them?

Gibsongal

I have done both. I put my hair in twists and clipped the ends. But now I want to put some layers in my hair so I will flat iron it.

Eclass215

I was JUST about to post this today. I want to dust my ends but I don't want to straighten my hair - but it's so hard to find the ends that need to be cut while my hair is natural. I don't want to trim for the sake of trimming and cut too much while its in twists, you know?

To straighten or not to straighen - that's the question.....

Ms_CoCo37

I was JUST about to post this today. I want to dust my ends but I don't want to straighten my hair - but it's so hard to find the ends that need to be cut while my hair is natural. I don't want to trim for the sake of trimming and cut too much while its in twists, you know?

To straighten or not to straighen - that's the question.....

You know they say great minds think alike! I'm having the exact same dilema. My problem is I still have relaxer on my ends and it's driving me mad.

My mother is obsessed with my hair. She pitches a hissy fit as soon as I pick up the scissors. Do you know she actually hid all of the scissors in the house? I tell her all the time to stop living vicariously through my hair! I think she counts every strand on my head. LOL!

tocktick

Personally, I do not straighten my hair in order to trim. I put my hair into medium sized twists. My hair does not look uneven by trimming this way. I feel that unless I'm going to wear my hair straight for the majority of the time there is no point risking the damage of straightening just to trim. Plus, it would be more work than I'm willing to deal with.

Qurlyqt

Your hair is beyond gorgeous!!! I think I'll try the twist and snip. Do the ends of your twists unravel after you clip them?

Awww, thanks! I usually make small twists when I'm going to clip the ends, then after I'm done clipping my entire head, I dunk the ends in a cup of cold water, apply leave in conditioner and castor oil. They curl up so no they do not unravel.