Tithing

Southernbella.

I started a new thread. I know I said I would pm you, N&W, but I'll write it here so others can contribute and correct me if I'm wrong.:)

First, I think we have to understand what the tithe actually looked like when practiced under the Law.

There were 4 different tithes.

1) The first was called the Levitical tithe. This was give to the servants of the Levitical priests to support them. They were called Levites, and the tithe was for the purpose of supporting them, because they had no inheritance like other tribes of the land.

Numb. 18:21-24

21 "I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting. 22 From now on the Israelites must not go near the Tent of Meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. 23 It is the Levites who are to do the work at the Tent of Meeting and bear the responsibility for offenses against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the LORD. That is why I said concerning them: 'They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.' "

Neh. 10:37

37 "Moreover, we will bring to the storerooms of the house of our God, to the priests, the first of our ground meal, of our grain offerings, of the fruit of all our trees and of our new wine and oil. And we will bring a tithe of our crops to the Levites, for it is the Levites who collect the tithes in all the towns where we work.

The Levites then gave 1/10 of the tithes to the priests. In today's equivalent, 1% actually went to the storehouse.

Numbers 18:25-28

25 The LORD said to Moses, 26 "Speak to the Levites and say to them: 'When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of that tithe as the LORD's offering. 27 Your offering will be reckoned to you as grain from the threshing floor or juice from the winepress. 28 In this way you also will present an offering to the LORD from all the tithes you receive from the Israelites. From these tithes you must give the LORD's portion to Aaron the priest.

2) The second tithe was the feast tithe, which worshippers were to eat during the yearly festivals

Deut. 12:1-19
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice.

3) The third was the poor tithe, which was used to feed the poor of Israel (who didn't tithe. Again, only those who owned and harvested land or animals tithed off of the increase God gave them on that land/herds)

Deuteronomy 14:28-29
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year's produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

4) It appears that the ruler of the land also took a tenth for himself, and this is considered a fourth tithe by some

Samuel 8:11-17

11 He said, "This is what the king who will reign over you will do: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. 12 Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. 13 He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. 14 He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. 15 He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. 16 Your menservants and maidservants and the best of your cattle and donkeys he will take for his own use. 17 He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves.

Again, notice that the tithe was always food/animals. Even though there was a money system, food was the only acceptable tithe.

Also important, the tithe was only off of what God increased. Meaning, what God increased by His hand, not what man could produce.

1 Corinthians 3:7

7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase

Deuteronomy 14:22

22 “You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year.

I think people get confused about what the "increase" is. Increase is not your living wage.

People often mention Abraham, who voluntarily tithed before Mosaic Law was introduced. He tithed from the spoils of war, which wouldn't have even been an acceptable tithe to God under the law, so this doesn't prove anything one way or the other. Jacob also gave a tenth voluntarily, but as in the case of Abraham, the Bible never mention them tithing beyond those two instances, and it certainly wasn't commanded to them by God.

Deuteronomy 14:22-23

Tithes
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.
23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.

2 Chronicles 31:5-6

5 As soon as the order went out, the Israelites generously gave the firstfruits of their grain, new wine, oil and honey and all that the fields produced. They brought a great amount, a tithe of everything.
6 The men of Israel and Judah who lived in the towns of Judah also brought a tithe of their herds and flocks and a tithe of the holy things dedicated to the LORD their God, and they piled them in heaps.

So, if we are under the law of tithing today, why doesn't our tithe look like this? Why does the church only teach one of the four tithes, and incorrectly? If we did practice it biblically, those of us who produce food (farmers and herders) would tithe to the servants of the priests, who would then give 1% to the priests. THe poor and widows would be able to come and partake of these tithes, and the rest of us would enjoy them at festivals. Instead, everyone gives 10% to the church in the form of money.

Southernbella.

People use Malachi 3:8 to say that we are supposed to tithe, but in context, God was speaking to the priests of Israel because they were using the tithe incorrectly. They were being greedy.

Malachi 3:8-12

8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
"But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

This was all part of the Old Covenant God had with the Isrealites. Since there are no more Levitical priests, the tithe cannot legally be collected anymore. Hebrews tells us that the Old Covenant is no longer, because there is a better system in place (the New Covenant).

Hebrews 7:12-19

12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. 13 For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man has officiated at the altar.
14 For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood.[a] 15 And it is yet far more evident if, in the likeness of Melchizedek, there arises another priest 16 who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life. 17 For He testifies:[b]

“ You are a priest forever
According to the order of Melchizedek.”[c]

18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, 19 for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is thebringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

Hebrews 8:13

13 In that He says, “A new covenant, ” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

People also quote Jesus when he spoke to the Pharisees about tithe, but it's important to note that the Pharisees were still under the Old Covenant.

Matthew 23:23

23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

The New Covenant didn't begin until Jesus died.

Once the New Covenant went into affect, tithing is not commanded to believers. Believers are to practice free-will giving.

2 Corinthians 9:7

7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

This type of giving is a direct contradiction with tithing, because tithing is commaned (compelled).

All this to say: If you feel in your heart that you should give 10%, then give it and God will be pleased! But you should know the truth, and that is that the tithe as practiced today is taught in error, not legal, and based on tradition. We are no longer under the Old Covenant, because if we were, we'd have to do a whole lot more than tithe! Jesus fulfilled the law, and now we are under a new, and better covenant.

I'll be back with more!

Beauty4Ashes

Hey Lauren,

At my church people tithe in various forms. Some people tithe their time, services, or goods. I think money is emphasized today b/c that is the form of barter. It's just easier to give money. I agree with you though; if I were a farmer I would definetly bring the first fruits of my crops.

Just my .02 cents

ETA: I just read your posts in another thread, I do believe that we as Christians should still tithe--Jesus didn't come to change the laws but to fulfill them. -JMHO

Last edited:

Southernbella.

shaffawn said:
Hey Lauren,

At my church people tithe in various forms. Some people tithe their time, services, or goods. I think money is emphasized today b/c that is the form of barter. It's just easier to give money. I agree with you though; if I were a farmer I would definetly bring the first fruits of my crops.

Just my .02 cents

ETA: I just read your posts in another thread, I do believe that we as Christians should still tithe--Jesus didn't come to change the laws but to fulfill them. -JMHO
'

I respect what you're saying. I think the problem with saying that Christians are under law to tithe is that we are essentially then saying that we're still under the Old Covenant. If that's true, then there are a whole host of other rituals, practices, and laws we should be keeping. Why are we exempt from the other laws?

As for money being emphasized today...I don't know the reason. There are still farmers and herders, and money exists today in the same way it did then. The purpose of the tithe then was to support/feed the Levites, who didn't have their own inheritance. What is the purpose today? There is no temple system, so there aren't any storehouses to bring the tithes to. There are no Levitical priests, so who can legally collect it?

CaramelMiSS

lauren450 said:
'

I respect what you're saying. I think the problem with saying that Christians are under law to tithe is that we are essentially then saying that we're still under the Old Covenant. If that's true, then there are a whole host of other rituals, practices, and laws we should be keeping. Why are we exempt from the other laws?

As for money being emphasized today...I don't know the reason. There are still farmers and herders, and money exists today in the same way it did then. The purpose of the tithe then was to support/feed the Levites, who didn't have their own inheritance. What is the purpose today? There is no temple system, so there aren't any storehouses to bring the tithes to. There are no Levitical priests, so who can legally collect it?

Good question! I would think the poor, the down-trodded, and the less forunate

Beauty4Ashes

ok, I just finished reading your entire post, you have given me homework for tonight...Thanks :)

Just a thought, if we didn't pay tithes/offerings how would the "physical" church function? (pay light bills, give to poor, etc) I know you don't believe that we "have" to go to church, but for those times that you do, how do you propose the church pay their bills?

I'm not going to try and pretend that I am knowledgable in this subject. I've never really studied the scriptures for myself on this topic; I'll be back tonight with what I've discovered and even then it'll just be the "milk" of the word. I would love to hear thoughts on this from other ladies...

Southernbella.

CaramelMiSS said:
Good question! I would think the poor, the down-trodded, and the less forunate

That makes sense. But then, they'd probably be taxed on it.:mad:

I found this chart that breaks down scriptures dealing with the Old Covenant vs. The New Covenant.

http://www.tentmaker.org/tracts/OldVsNewCovenant.html

I agree fully that Jesus came to fulfill the law, but I think that scripture is open to interpretation. I believe fulfill means complete. It doesn't mean the Old Law never existed, or that it means nothing to us, but it means that Jesus completed them that we aren't bound to them anymore. I guess that is what is meant by the spirit of the law vs. letter of the law. Instead of animal sacrifices, we make ourselves a sacrifice to the Lord. Instead of having to go to the temple to meet God, we ARE the temple and the Holy Spirit dwells in us. It's awesome when you really think about it!

Also, since the tithe was for those who had no inheritance, that rules us out, because all believers have an eternal inheritance!

Southernbella.

shaffawn said:
ok, I just finished reading your entire post, you have given me homework for tonight...Thanks :)

Just a thought, if we didn't pay tithes/offerings how would the "physical" church function? (pay light bills, give to poor, etc) I know you don't believe that we "have" to go to church, but for those times that you do, how do you propose the church pay their bills?

I'm not going to try and pretend that I am knowledgable in this subject. I've never really studied the scriptures for myself on this topic; I'll be back tonight with what I've discovered and even then it'll just be the "milk" of the word. I would love to hear thoughts on this from other ladies...

You know, I had never studied it for myself either. I think it's such a longstanding tradition that most people accept it for what it is. I'm not against people tithing if that's what they want to do. I'm against incorrect teaching. When I first started studying it, I rejected pretty much everything. It took a long time for me to even understand what I was reading.:lol: I had never heard any of the scriptures about tithing read in church, with the exception of Malachi 3:8. The thing is, our pastors always tell us to study for ourselves, but I still went by what I heard.

As for your question about the church, I don't know. I do think we're supposed to assemble for worship. I just don't know if the church system as we know it is correct.

I've read a few essays about the function of the modern day church, and some believe that we are to do work (give to the poor, minister, etc) on our own. We're not supposed to wait on the church. If everyone did these things as they are supposed to, then the church wouldn't be burdened, and could instead simply be an assembly for worship and fellowship. I need to study some more on that, but I think it's an interesting view. If that happened, there wouldn't be a need for monetary support. Even when you look the New Testament, Paul would go and speak to whole cities, not several different churches within a city.

CaramelMiSS

lauren450 said:

I found this chart that breaks down scriptures dealing with the Old Covenant vs. The New Covenant.

I agree fully that Jesus came to fulfill the law, but I think that scripture is open to interpretation. I believe fulfill means complete. It doesn't mean the Old Law never existed, or that it means nothing to us, but it means that Jesus completed them that we aren't bound to them anymore. I guess that is what is meant by the spirit of the law vs. letter of the law. Instead of animal sacrifices, we make ourselves a sacrifice to the Lord. Instead of having to go to the temple to meet God, we ARE the temple and the Holy Spirit dwells in us. It's awesome when you really think about it!

Also, since the tithe was for those who had no inheritance, that rules us out, because all believers have an eternal inheritance!

I don't think they would tax those that gave, I give to nonprofits all the time and I don't get taxed in fact I only give to the detroit rescue mission and COTS. I also think when you donate to them you can use it as a tax write off, but i don't believe in doing that because it just defeats the whole purpose of giving. ANother thing they don't tax churches so why should they tax giving to the poor that is almost like welfare, I think.

alexstin

I tithe, always have and always will:D If we are under "a new and better covenant" then why not seek to give more? Why is it always the reverse?:confused: Thank God we're not under law anymore but you know what? Written law is always superceded by spiritual law. God always intended for us to live by the law in our hearts. Written law only steers us in the right direction.;)

Southernbella.

alexstin said:
I tithe, always have and always will:D If we are under "a new and better covenant" then why not seek to give more? Why is it always the reverse?:confused: Thank God we're not under law anymore but you know what? Written law is always superceded by spiritual law. God always intended for us to live by the law in our hearts. Written law only steers us in the right direction.;)

Who says givers always give less than 10%? ;) The law of tithe is what binds you to only 10%. God may lead us to give more or less, but the point is, you are FREE to do so. It's not about giving less, IMO, it's about knowing the truth and operating under God's grace, not man's mandates. I do agree with you about written vs. spirit. And like I said, if you want to give 10%, that's great! But we should all seek the truth.:D

Southernbella.

CaramelMiSS said:
I don't think they would tax those that gave, I give to nonprofits all the time and I don't get taxed in fact I only give to the detroit rescue mission and COTS. I also think when you donate to them you can use it as a tax write off, but i don't believe in doing that because it just defeats the whole purpose of giving. ANother thing they don't tax churches so why should they tax giving to the poor that is almost like welfare, I think.

Oh, I must have misunderstood your post. I was talking about if the poor were able to receive the tithes directly, like in the Bible, our government would probably tax them on it since it's in the form of money now.

alexstin

lauren450 said:
Who says givers always give less than 10%? ;) The law of tithe is what binds you to only 10%. God may lead us to give more or less, but the point is, you are FREE to do so. It's not about giving less, IMO, it's about knowing the truth and operating under God's grace, not man's mandates. I do agree with you about written vs. spirit. And like I said, if you want to give 10%, that's great! But we should all seek the truth.:D

Oh I wasn't saying that givers always give less. I just know that's the mindset of some.;)

StrawberryQueen

An email I recieved on tithing:
Give From The Heart

In the book of Malachi, God called the people back to the law He
established 800 years earlier with Moses. God spoke of the necessity
of a pure sacrifice (Malachi 1:7-8), and the need for the priests to
speak a message of truth (Malachi 2:7-8). He also addressed the
issue of giving back a portion of our resources - a portion referred
to as the tithe.

Malachi 3:8, 10
"Will a man rob God? Yet you rob Me. But you ask, 'How do we rob
You?' In tithes and offerings. Bring the whole tithe into the
storehouse, that there may be food in My house."

The principle of an offering began with Cain and Able (Genesis
4:3-4). Abraham then demonstrated the concept of the tithe when he
gave Melchizedek "a tenth of everything" (Genesis 14:20). But
systematic tithing was not established until God gave the law to
Moses, (Leviticus 27:30-33).

In the time of Malachi, God not only called for a return to the
discipline of tithing, He also directly linked tithing to blessings
and gave the ultimate challenge: "Test Me in this and see if I will
not throw open the floodgates of Heaven" (Malachi 3:10). God
certainly never "owes" us because of anything we do; but His Word
contains a consistent call to obedience, and true obedience always
results in true blessing.

When Jesus died on the cross, He fulfilled the law for all who
believe. And though the legalistic letter of the law has passed
away, the intent of the law (which is the heart of God) remains for
all time; "These {laws} are a shadow of the things to come; the
reality, however, is found in Christ" (Colossians 2:17).

The intent, or "reality," of all the law is that God is Lord over ALL
areas of our life. The law teaches this truth and shows us how far
short we fall of His standard. The purpose of the law was much more
than teaching us to comply with a written code. The shadow contained
in the written law says "Thou shalt not kill," but the reality in
Christ says to not even have hatred in our heart, (Matthew
5:21-22). The shadow in the law also says "Thou shalt not commit
adultery," but the reality in Christ says to even refrain from lust
(Matthew 5:27-28).

When we debate about the "rules" of how much and where to give, we
are focused on the shadow and miss the reality of Christ - He is Lord
of ALL! As we focus our eyes on Christ, we will give. We will give
generously, "not reluctantly or under compulsion" (2 Corinthians
9:7). We will gladly give of our time, talents, and finances to
whatever need He directs. When He is truly Lord, we will not simply
give according to a "formula" dictated by the law, we will live under
His grace and give according to the law's intent. When He is Lord,
we will cease to rob God and will joyfully give our lives as we give
from the heart.

BlkOnyx488

BUMP BUMP
I

lauren450 said:

missty1029

Ok so I have some questions. I just started back into the church and I often stayed awayvbecause of the money issue.

Know what I dont understand about tithing? If someone does it they have that choice. But people who dont are cast out and said to be disobedient. Why? The bible and everything in it is interpretation. No one may want to hear that but unless you were there and can read the original language the bible was written in, its interpretation. There is nothing wrong with that. And I am may get blasted for saying this. But when I got to church and my pastor singles out all the people who have the exact amount he asks for or always talks about how you have to catch up and if you dont pay you dont need to be there, then that is messed up. I know I shoudl have faith in God but when lights get cut off and car being repossessed its hard to see a pastor pulling up in him BMW in his three peice suits of whatever church you may go to.

From all the differnet quotes I read on tithing it seems to stress the importance of giving a portion of what you have. But it also seems like that has lost its focus because it must be 10% of your salary.

There are people of different faith who dont tithe and are blessed and there are people who tithe and still face hardships.

What happened to just being a good person? What happened to giving what you can with what you have?

I know this question of tithing runs a lot of people out of the church and it ruins a lot of peoples faith. To me thats the really issue and I dont think thats what Gods plan is. I dont think in any way God has it if you dont give your 10% your not as good as the next.

But Im just someone who believes God loves me, I was born in his image and he has great things for me. I will always give back because that is in my heart on being a good person. But I think its messed up when churches, pastors and whoever else tries to make me feel like a bad person because I dont give what is an interpretation of the bible to be 10% of my salary.

Southernbella.

Ok so I have some questions. I just started back into the church and I often stayed awayvbecause of the money issue.

Know what I dont understand about tithing? If someone does it they have that choice. But people who dont are cast out and said to be disobedient. Why? The bible and everything in it is interpretation. No one may want to hear that but unless you were there and can read the original language the bible was written in, its interpretation. There is nothing wrong with that. And I am may get blasted for saying this. But when I got to church and my pastor singles out all the people who have the exact amount he asks for or always talks about how you have to catch up and if you dont pay you dont need to be there, then that is messed up. I know I shoudl have faith in God but when lights get cut off and car being repossessed its hard to see a pastor pulling up in him BMW in his three peice suits of whatever church you may go to.

From all the differnet quotes I read on tithing it seems to stress the importance of giving a portion of what you have. But it also seems like that has lost its focus because it must be 10% of your salary.

There are people of different faith who dont tithe and are blessed and there are people who tithe and still face hardships.

What happened to just being a good person? What happened to giving what you can with what you have?

I know this question of tithing runs a lot of people out of the church and it ruins a lot of peoples faith. To me thats the really issue and I dont think thats what Gods plan is. I dont think in any way God has it if you dont give your 10% your not as good as the next.

But Im just someone who believes God loves me, I was born in his image and he has great things for me. I will always give back because that is in my heart on being a good person. But I think its messed up when churches, pastors and whoever else tries to make me feel like a bad person because I dont give what is an interpretation of the bible to be 10% of my salary.

I agree with the bolded. I can hear your heart on this, and this is why I am so frustrated about the false teaching going forth.

All I can say to you is to listen to what God is telling you about giving...

2 Corinthians 9:6-15
6Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 9As it is written:
"He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever."[a] 10Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

12This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. 13Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. 14And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. 15Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

Dove56

Great post! I've done extensive research about tithing and based on scripture there are no biblical mandates to tithe after Jesus death which ushered in the New Covenant. We are advised to give however. Not tithing does not exempt us from giving. 2 Corinthians 9:

Sowing Generously
6Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 9As it is written:
his righteousness endures forever."[a] 10Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

We don't HAVE to give but we SHOULD give. I'm not sure about anyone else, but God has "blessed" me when I couldn't afford to give $. I think waking up with great health everyday is a blessing, and without it $ just isn't the same. Why do we as Christians only (general speaking) consider ourselves "blessed" if it's monetary?

Also, I think people think they can "pay God off". They believe they can live like the devil, in complete disobedience to scripture then "tithe" and everything is okay with God (I've heard people talk like this). God is more concerned with obdience than sacrifice 1 Samuel 15:22.

Mahalialee4

QUOTE=shaffawn;2058034]ok, I just finished reading your entire post, you have given me homework for tonight...Thanks :)

Just a thought, if we didn't pay tithes/offerings how would the "physical" church function? (pay light bills, give to poor, etc) I know you don't believe that we "have" to go to church, but for those times that you do, how do you propose the church pay their bills? ANSWER:

((((The Scriptures say: "If a man does not want to WORK, neither let him EAT! First, Pastors need to WORK. Preaching the good news was something to be done by all. The role of the apostles, prophets, evangelists, teachers was for a purpose. As stated in Ephesians: it is clear who is supposed to do the work of the Ministry! The Church has it backwards!!!!Please tell me that since Jesus died and rose that it is reasonable that the Pastors and teachers have NOT managed to train the church persons to be ministers of the gospel and DESPITE ALL the tithes that have been collected and we operate instead under a feudal, paternal, godfather, form of godly devotion that is pure tradition and are not obeying God's command about preaching the gospel? We shuffle it off on the Pastors and Evangelists "to do the job for us". I believe that is why some pay the tithe without caring that it is unscripturally exacted? To avoid the responsibility that has been laid on usby the head of the Church, Jesus Christ himself! Are we individually going to have to answer to God for being disobedient about preaching the gospel and farming the work out to paid hirelings!.....
Who pays the bills in the church?...offerings would take care of this and the money that pastors are spending on lavish palaces rivaling competing with the Catholic system, the mansions, expensive autos, jewellry and designer clothing would go along way to paying light bills on "church buildings" for years to come. Instead of being content to shepherd what they can realistically care for, they want to be big name preachers and pastors over churches that hold thousands....not for the glory of God but for their own egos and due to what Matthew stated: When telling the people the truth about the Scribes and Pharisees, Chapter 23: 4-38, Jesus laid it bare and He exposed the root of their traditions
Jesus preached the gospel, travelled etc etc. Matthew 4: 23,24,25 and he did not have to get a tithe! a private jet or an extremely expensive auto and sink the excess in to numerous "businesses" began and financed by money he took from the CHURCH still begging and trying to justify taking more based on a false prosperity doctrine. Yes. False. Are they greater than Jesus? Read verse 28 and 29!!!))) According to the Bible: WE ARE THE CHURCH. The CHURCH is not a building!!! The Church is the sanctified body of Christ. Hebrews 12:22-24. The only reason for membership at a building called a "church" is for the Pastor to be able to claim tax exemption with Caesar, to avoid paying Caesar on the money they are taking in from those who attend and give him unaccountable amounts of money. This "membership role" is their pass with the governments of the land. Otherwise, these men would have to pay taxes! They would not be able to have the lavish lifestyles without your cooperation.
We need to know the truth about this. That pastors and the people are both getting something out of this unscriptural arrangement. But is God pleased? And Caesar...He is on to it and Because these pastors are not paying Caesar's things to Caeser, just taking advantage of a legal loophole! That could change quickly, drastically and painfully, cause it is MAN'S LEGAL LOOPHOLE!)))))end my answer

I'm not going to try and pretend that I am knowledgable in this subject. I've never really studied the scriptures for myself on this topic; I'll be back tonight with what I've discovered and even then it'll just be the "milk" of the word. I would love to hear thoughts on this from other ladies...[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Highly Favored8

The is BIBLE means
B-Basic
I- Instructions
B-Before
L-Leaving
E-Earth:yep:

I feel that tithing is a big part of expanding God's Kingdom! A person must be careful where they tithe they must tithe into good ground.
I claim Malachi 3:10 every day, and I tell it what has been going on in my life that YES God does not lie and by me tithing and giving to his work and his kingdom, the Lord will continue to Bless me! I love tithing to God's work and being in Convenat Realtionship with God and not only that, the church where I attened when we bring in our first fruits we are sowing into good ground.

Also, not only tithes just does not pay for the bills of the church. In my church it goes into the community to feed the homeless and the needy.
I LOVE the Lord and I will tithe 10% or 15% to advance his kingdom.

last relaxer 12-19-07 Affrim:yep:
next relaxer 3-25-08 :perplexed
Current APL length
I am Claiming BSL by 12-31-08:grin:

missty1029

Great post! I've done extensive research about tithing and based on scripture there are no biblical mandates to tithe after Jesus death which ushered in the New Covenant. We are advised to give however. Not tithing does not exempt us from giving. 2 Corinthians 9:

Sowing Generously

We don't HAVE to give but we SHOULD give. I'm not sure about anyone else, but God has "blessed" me when I couldn't afford to give $. I think waking up with great health everyday is a blessing, and without it $ just isn't the same. Why do we as Christians only (general speaking) consider ourselves "blessed" if it's monetary?

Also, I think people think they can "pay God off". They believe they can live like the devil, in complete disobedience to scripture then "tithe" and everything is okay with God (I've heard people talk like this). God is more concerned with obdience than sacrifice 1 Samuel 15:22.

Thank you!!! I didnt start going to church until the last few years and I was blessed by so many things before stepping in anyones church!!!!!

And I dont say any of this to dispute tithing. I just dont understand why its 10% of you monetary salary. If someone can explain that I would appreciate the lesson.

Highly Favored8

Thank you!!! I didnt start going to church until the last few years and I was blessed by so many things before stepping in anyones church!!!!!

And I dont say any of this to dispute tithing. I just dont understand why its 10% of you monetary salary. If someone can explain that I would appreciate the lesson.

Hi,

At our church we tithe b/c we need to pay to keep the church lights, water, basic neccessites. Also, in my church we have homeless and the poor in our community where we take them in and feed them give them gifts etc... I give my 10% plus b/c I am in a covenat realtionship with God and I want to advance his Kingdom. I just wish I started tithing sooner!:grin:

Last relaxer 12-19-07
Next Relaxer 3-25-08
Current APL
I am claming BSL 12-31-08

Dove56

It's sad but it $ is the only thing the pastor can spend. I really believe if we gave "tithes" in the form of fruits and grains preachers wouldn't stress it so much because you can't buy plain tickets with fruit and grains!:yep:

Bill Gates is the richest man in the world and he is not a believer. There are sooo many wealthy people that don't even know enough about the Lord to acknowledge the fact that their blessings come from Him.

God is not a man, and we can not BUY His favor or His blessings. He said he rains on the just and the unjust. We should give to the Lord because we love Him and WE get to partner with Him in order to futher the gospel. We shouldn't give thinking we are going to get 100 Fold.

Southernbella.

I don't have an answer to that one. I'm not sure when it changed over from livestock and crops to strictly money, especially since God did not accept a monetary tithe.

I think it's more about tradition than anything. If churches taught freewill giving as instructed in the New Testament...I'm not sure what would happen, but it would probably be harder for them to set a budget and figure out their expenditures. It's probably easier to just stick with 10% of your monetary earnings.