Tips for Growing Edges After Post Partum Shedding?

Lovelylady2007

Hi Ladies!

I need some help. When I had my son last year my hair was really thick. About 2-3 months after I had him, my hair started shedding really bad. My temples went completely bald. They are growing back, albeit slowly. I like to wear weaves as a protective style, but I'm wondering if I should since I'm trying to grow my edges. Does anyone have tips? I hate my edges being so thin :nono: and feel self conscious about it.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
keep hope alive ! it gets better.

moisturize and seal. wear low stress styles. try not to relax the edges for awhile (if you use chemicals.)

take pics.....so you can see your progress. the same thing happened to me. it took about 3 months to see a difference. then it happened again when i stopped nursing. pics are in my fotki username - havilland if you need some inspiration. (hugs)

congrats on baby!!!!!!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
oh and wear weaves as well. i stopped until the shedding completely stopped. then i just left my edges out.

Lady Esquire

I'm applying my own version of a 3 step-approach that RavenMerlita mentioned in an old thread:

1) Internal: Take vitamins/supplements to maximize hair growth or to at least stop any further shedding (saw palmetto, iron, MSM, B-complex, etc). Eat clean and increase healthy proteins (bean, eggs, etc).

2) Topical: apply oils and sulfur mixes that are supposedly good for preserving and stimulating hair growth. (Also purchase a DHT blocker shampoo and conditioner to cleanse the scalp. I have not done this step enough to know if it works. The shampoos that claim to rid of DHT are harsh, so I've only used my Nioxin kit a few times.)

3) Protective: Keep the fragile area away from hairstyles that stress your hair or thin it out. Stimulate those areas with massages. Don't tie your scarves too tightly.

Do you relax? If so, relax these areas last or skip these areas for every other relaxer.

My postpartum shedding was bad and its slowly filling in. I do have some hereditary issues, but I like what I do see. Most importantly, stay consistent.

tthreat08

The same thing happened to me recently. In fact, it's the first time I ever experienced any postpartum shedding. My temples went bald three months after giving birth. The best thing you can do is not agitate the situation by putting stress on the area, and simply allow time to pass. I wore wash n gos during the grow out phase, and after about three months or so, they were filled in. My son is 9 months now, and my temples are full (albeit a bit thinner than the rest of my hair line, but it's a process). I'm pregnant again, so I expect my hair to thicken up even more during this pregnancy. Maybe....just maybe....I can skip that whole shedding thing this time.:yep:

Lovelylady2007

Thank you so much ladies! I couldn't believe that my edges went bald. The same thing happened to my mom after she had my little sister( not me though). I think I'm going to go back to wearing weave with my edges out. I'm going to get a closure or something so that I don't have to press my edges or worry about blending. I'm also going to focus on my diet like Lady_Esquire suggested.

I so appreciate all your help ladies! Hopefully by this time next year my edges will be full and thick again :)

Oh and I don't relax. I'm natural.

g.lo

hi,

i had my baby in august and 3 months later i completely lost my hairline (bald), and the shedding OMG:perplexed.
but thanks God it's coming back already:grin: ( here is a picture taken today).
IMG_0175.jpg.
my reggie:

biotin on daily basis, wash and DC (under heat) once a week, prepoo with garlic olive oil ( i have been mixing garlic powder with EVOO and apply it on my scalp and leave it for at least 1hour), 3Xa week apply MT mix with JBCO.
i comb my hair on wash day only to detangle, otherwise i just leave my hair alone. ( i rock wigs, scarf, hat... most of the time).
the shedding has really gone down, it is very minimal now.

hope this can help

KaramelDiva1978

It happened to me too after my daughter, then my son. I've heard varying reasons of a plummet in the estrogen hormone and a side effect of the epidural. I used ORS Carrot Oil and Wild Growth Oil and also did very low maintenance hair styles, like roller sets where I could disguise the edges. The shedding was ridiculous, but this way, I only had to really handle my hair on shampoo day and a roller set would last me all week. You may want to keep taking your prenatal vitamins also as an aid in your diet. Hang in there, it will get better with a little time and TLC.

Guyaneek

JbCO and scalp massages were what I attribute to growing my edges back after my last baby. Good luck to you!

Hersheygurl

It happened to me too after my daughter, then my son. I've heard varying reasons of a plummet in the estrogen hormone and a side effect of the epidural.

This is the second time I have heard of a correlation between the epidural and hair loss. That is interesting. A few months after I had my daughter, I went to the mirror and noticed my temples were almost gone! I was so distraught and was still breast-feeding at the time.

With patience and castor oil massages, they filled back in better than before ( I also stopped relaxing the edges). I would like to have another child, God-willing, but would hate to go through that phase again.

I wish you all of the best OP, be encouraged. They will come back.

gabulldawg

I'm experiencing the same thing right now! :ohwell: It's like all of a sudden, my edges and temples were balding, and there is now hair all over the place! :nono: I haven't done anything to try to remedy it yet. I will keep an eye on this thread....

snoop

I just grew them back last year and they're gone again. I can't wait until the shedding stops.