Post partum shedding...

Nubian.Queen

How long does post partum shedding last? I had my baby girl Feb 24 and have not shed until this last week. Everytime I comb, wash or even touch my hair, there's tons of strands left on the comb on my hands. I don't know what to do anymore, I did an aphogee 2 min. tx followed by DC using ORS repleneshing pak with no help and I DC once a week. My hair feels soft nicely it's just the shedding what's a girl got to do? So I decided to get cornrows in because I could not take anymore hairs on my combs and hands....any suggestions ladies please anything...

TIA

JsBecca

Keep taking your prenatal vitamins. Congrats on your precious lil doll.

Last edited:

nfynit_812

Congrats on your lil blessing!!!! I had my baby on February 21st...and my due date was originally February 24th!!! I currently have a sew in weave, which I had done when my baby was 3 weeks old. She's now 10 weeks old, and I'm dreading what my hair looks like :ohwell:

Nubian.Queen

Congrats on your lil blessing!!!! I had my baby on February 21st...and my due date was originally February 24th!!! I currently have a sew in weave, which I had done when my baby was 3 weeks old. She's now 10 weeks old, and I'm dreading what my hair looks like :ohwell:

Congrats to you as well did you have a boy or a girl...and good luck when you take your weave off. I am hating this shedding so with the cornrows off I am hoping it'll not be as bad when I take them off.

Buttercreme

Congratulations!

My DS just turned 7 mos. old. The pp shedding started when he was 2 mos. I thought I was going bald. It has slowed down drastically, but still alot on wash days.

My ob/gyn sent me too a dermatologist who unfortunately said shedding is a natural process that can last up to a year. I had blood work done to check for anemia/thyroid issues, but nothing came about.

I never stopped taking my prenatal vitamins, I also added flaxseed. On the plus side, the flax is helping the new hairs come in a diff. texture. I'm glad I am texlaxed, it helps with the thickness.

"They" say that the longer the hair is, the more women notice it. Possibly because the hair strands are longer and wrap around the comb looking like 10-15 strands instead of 5.

There is light at the end of the tunnel

HTH

Morenita

I have been dealing with this also. This is my third though. She was born on her due date, Jan. 12, and my other little girl turned 2 on Jan. 17th. My son is turning 5 May 30th, but I've never noticed the shedding to be as much as it is this time around. I thought that it was breakage at first, but the strands are just so long that I don't think that's what it is. I hope it ends soon... :perplexed

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
First, congratulations on your little angel baby! :grin: Second, my baby is now 8 mo. What helped me was drinking carrot juice, and oiling scalp with a mixture of the following: olive oil, rosemary oil, chopped garlic that I let marinate in the oil, and cayenne pepper. I did this for a couple weeks and the shedding stopped. Good luck & HTH

Buttercreme

I have been dealing with this also. This is my third though. She was born on her due date, Jan. 12, and my other little girl turned 2 on Jan. 17th. My son is turning 5 May 30th, but I've never noticed the shedding to be as much as it is this time around. I thought that it was breakage at first, but the strands are just so long that I don't think that's what it is. I hope it ends soon... :perplexed

Yeah this is my 3rd child also, I never noticed the shedding from my previous pregnancies. I think it gets worse with each child.

AdoreMsK67

Thank you ladies for your suggestions. I am definately going to buy some this weekend. I have a 18 month old and a 8 month old and everyday I want to cut all my hair off cause it makes me so depressed. I just went to the doctor for blood work to be done also, just to make sure I'm not anemic cause I'm loosing a lot of hair.

Questions:

If I were to get the garlic shampoo, which brand would you recommend? Can I buy it in a health food store? or would crushing garlic into olive oil work better?

Flaxseed, is it the seeds or is it in a liquid form?

I just want it to stop, I swear I'm only going to have one strand sitting on top of my head after this is all done..and my edges are so thin now.

Have any of you noticed that your hair is drier?

Morenita

Thank you ladies for your suggestions. I am definately going to buy some this weekend. I have a 18 month old and a 8 month old and everyday I want to cut all my hair off cause it makes me so depressed. I just went to the doctor for blood work to be done also, just to make sure I'm not anemic cause I'm loosing a lot of hair.

Questions:

If I were to get the garlic shampoo, which brand would you recommend? Can I buy it in a health food store? or would crushing garlic into olive oil work better?

Flaxseed, is it the seeds or is it in a liquid form?

I just want it to stop, I swear I'm only going to have one strand sitting on top of my head after this is all done..and my edges are so thin now.

Have any of you noticed that your hair is drier?

It's hard for me to say. My hair is always pretty dry. Its very porous. I've been using a LOT of moisturizing conditioners lately though so I'm sure that has contributed to my not being able to tell also.

Buttercreme

Questions:

Flaxseed, is it the seeds or is it in a liquid form? Liquid gel caps

I just want it to stop, I swear I'm only going to have one strand sitting on top of my head after this is all done..and my edges are so thin now. This is what I cried to DH about only having one strand left, it sure seems that way. My edges were thin and temples bald to the scalp, now there are dark, thick, shiny ringlets coming in:yawn:

Have any of you noticed that your hair is drier? Haven't noticed. Still kept up on DC, moisturizing/sealing.

Answers in bold

godzooki

I am so dreading this and I know it's coming! With my 2 yr old I lost so much hair I just about gave up and ended up chopping off a good chunk...Now I worry I'll have to do it all over again...My 4th is almost 2 wks old so I figure I have about 2 months or so to try to come up with a preventative plan:nono:.