APHOGEE treatment & (Post-Partum )Shedding

PinkAngel

Hi Ladies,

I know Aphogee is a good treatment for breakage, but what about shedding. I've began suffering from post-partum shedding and wanted to know if Aphogee would do the trick. I already have Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum (which I've never used), can this be used in place of Aphogee w/ the same effects?

I also have the Queene Helen Garlic shampoo but it doesn't seem to be working. It only makes my hair hard.

I remember a post a couple months back about post-partum shedding but my search engine isn't working so I can't find it. If anyone has it bookmarked please bump it up for me.....

I welcome any & all suggestions/advice.....thanks ladies.

filthyfresh

Hmmm...seems like Aphogee wouldn't help too much, because shedding is pretty natural. Since it's springtime, we as mammals are shedding hair. As long as you see the white bulb on the end of the hair, then you're fine. You may have to look for some products that stop shedding. Shouldn't be too much to worry about. We normally shed 50-100 hairs a day, I believe. But if you just see pieces of hair then that's breakage and yeah you'd need some Aphogee. HTH.

filthyfresh

Hmmm...seems like Aphogee wouldn't help too much, because shedding is pretty natural. Since it's springtime, we as mammals are shedding hair. As long as you see the white bulb on the end of the hair, then you're fine. You may have to look for some products that stop shedding. Shouldn't be too much to worry about. We normally shed 50-100 hairs a day, I believe. But if you just see pieces of hair then that's breakage and yeah you'd need some Aphogee. HTH.

MizaniMami

Someone was talking about how a Garlic shampoo by I *think* Ego helps this.

And also a garlic supplement. :confused:

Though I have read in several places that garlic does reduce shedding, who new:confused:

Mom23

Hi There,
My daughter is 6 months old, so I know what you are going through. For some reason I cannot do a search, but what helped me was keeping the hair moist and deep conditioning. If you still have your prenatals continue to take them. All the hair that did not shed while you were pregnant is going to gradually come out. Mine started when my baby was 3 months old and lasted until she was 5 months. I would shed alot more when I washed my hair then at other times. Just try not to manipulate it too much and wait it out. It will get better. :) Hope this helps.

*ElleB

If it is something that is internal, I'm not sure if an Aphogee treatment will help? Not sure, but u said u seen a post on it, I hope u find a way to curve that tho.....Sorry I couldnt be much help.... :(

Sistaslick

Post partum shedding is triggered by the decline of hormones (estrogens) in the body after the baby is born. During pregnancy, your hormonal surge keeps a bulk of the hairs in a suspended growth phase allowing very few of the hairs to transition into telogen phase (shedding) as they normally would. Once the baby is born, and hormones return to pre-pregnancy levels, a nice amount of hairs are sent abruptly into telogen phase- hence the intense shedding.

An external protein treatment will not affect this process because internal forces are at work here. This is simply the body's way of returning itself to normal. :) Aphogee is only a treatment for external breakage, it won't get to heart of what is causing your shedding or issue a directive to your hormones to stop ordering the dropping of hair.:lol: Garlic is an old remedy for shedding, but even its results aren't really proven. Its worth a try though! :yep: But don't feel too bad if the shedding continues anyway. This is really one of those things you have to wait out. I've been through it myself, and it was nothing nice. :cry3: Don't worry girl, you'll be back to normal in no time!

Last edited:

princesmich

msshic said:
Hi Ladies,

I know Aphogee is a good treatment for breakage, but what about shedding. I've began suffering from post-partum shedding and wanted to know if Aphogee would do the trick. I already have Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum (which I've never used), can this be used in place of Aphogee w/ the same effects?

I also have the Queene Helen Garlic shampoo but it doesn't seem to be working. It only makes my hair hard.

I remember a post a couple months back about post-partum shedding but my search engine isn't working so I can't find it. If anyone has it bookmarked please bump it up for me.....

I welcome any & all suggestions/advice.....thanks ladies.

postpartum shedding is normal, i had it with both my kids, just keep up with your protein treatments, with my first child it took a year for my hair to return to normal, with the second, he's a year now and my hair is now starting to normalize.

PinkAngel

Thanks ladies for all your responses & advice. Those of you who have experienced post-partum shedding....after the shedding stopped, was there a drastic difference in your hair ie...thin, limp etc?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, once my hair/body has returned to normal....will it look like I've lost alot of hair? I hope my question makes sense.

TIA

Sistaslick

msshic said:
Thanks ladies for all your responses & advice. Those of you who have experienced post-partum shedding....after the shedding stopped, was there a drastic difference in your hair ie...thin, limp etc?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, once my hair/body has returned to normal....will it look like I've lost alot of hair? I hope my question makes sense.

TIA

I went through a terrible post partum shedding episode after I had my daughter. Everytime I touched my hand to my head hair would just fall off it seemed. :eek: It lasted about 3-4 months. My left temple thinned terribly (I could see scalp almost), but the rest of my hair faired pretty well. From the hair loss I was seeing, I just knew I was going to be bald. But when I look in my album over the months I was having the most shedding (September-December 04), my hair looked the thickest of all then! Luckily my shedding coincided with the onset of my new healthy hair regimen :lol:

While my temple was in recovery, I wore styles that didn't place any tension on it. Things like braidouts and twistouts... or buns with that part pulled down as a "sweep" instead of pulled back into the main bun. I also babied the area and massaged it there daily. I tried my best not to comb through it because the hair just kept coming and coming. Low manipulation is really the key.

PinkAngel

Sistaslick said:
I went through a terrible post partum shedding episode after I had my daughter. Everytime I touched my hand to my head hair would just fall off it seemed. :eek: It lasted about 3-4 months. My left temple thinned terribly (I could see scalp almost), but the rest of my hair faired pretty well. From the hair loss I was seeing, I just knew I was going to be bald. But when I look in my album over the months I was having the most shedding (September-December 04), my hair looked the thickest of all then! Luckily my shedding coincided with the onset of my new healthy hair regimen :lol:

While my temple was in recovery, I wore styles that didn't place any tension on it. Things like braidouts and twistouts... or buns with that part pulled down as a "sweep" instead of pulled back into the main bun. I also babied the area and massaged it there daily. I tried my best not to comb through it because the hair just kept coming and coming. Low manipulation is really the key.

Thanks Sista....I guess I'll be moisturizing & manipulating alot less.