Do you think this would work??? -Transition related

MRJ1972

I am attempting to transition myself and my teen aged daughter from relaxed to natural.

We are both SUPPOSED to support each other in this transition. However, she is getting really frustrated; wants to give up and get a relaxer, but I dont want to deal with that whole scene anymore. ( expensive relaxer prices, overprocessing, scalp irritation, and chemical burns :wallbash: )

So I was thinking as a compromise, since she wants straight, bouncy hair :rolleyes: :lachen:, do you think it would be okay to allow her to get professional weekly shampoos, deep condition, blow dry and flat iron in her transition to natural? She has never had any problems with this routine as a relaxed head so I dont think heat damage would be an issue. FYI- her texture is thick 4a/4b-kinks no curls.

Is there anyone that has successfully transitioned to natural using this method??

Thanks in advance for your input!

I know I've seen that people have done it. But, you always risk permanent heat damage with frequent heat usage, even with the use of high quality tools and heat protectant.

Also, if one of the reasons you're stopping relaxers is the expense, I don't think it makes sense for her to get hair done by a professional each week. Seems like that would be more expensive.

Maybe she could try rollersets for a while? That way it's not so much heat. Or flat iron every other week with a different style in between.

I know I've seen that people have done it. But, you always risk permanent heat damage with frequent heat usage, even with the use of high quality tools and heat protectant.

Also, if one of the reasons you're stopping relaxers is the expense, I don't think it makes sense for her to get hair done by a professional each week. Seems like that would be more expensive.

Maybe she could try rollersets for a while? That way it's not so much heat. Or flat iron every other week with a different style in between.

Yeah, you are right :yep:...I would still spend money....I am just so UNTALENTED when it comes to styling hair that I would rather drop her off at the salon and K.I.M.....

The rollersets sound good....

She might change her mind once the winter arrives and happily continue with the transition, this summer humidity is no joke!

Thanks for the advice!

I agree with MSA on the cost aspect.

Now as for the straightening, if your daughter is okay with the possibility of her hair texture changing, or if she plans to wear her hair straight most of the time as a natural, that route may work.

But if she is transitioning solely because she wants to embrace her natural texture and wear mostly natural styles, then heat straightening may not be the best option for her transition. It will alter the texture, even if only slightly. Some people call it "trained" to be straightened.

Thanks Desi Rae

She is okay with the natural texture changing...I just think for her, natural is better because her scalp is so sensitive to chemicals..

I need to work on my flat-ironing "techinque" because I can NEVER get my hair nor hers to look half as good as some of our LHCF flat-ironing divas! If I can get that skill perfected then she will be good to go!:grin:

Back