Those who buy henna from Indian Markets...

LovelyLionessa

Wow you can get some great deals on henna there! I discovered an Indian supermarket near my house and it is a treasure trove of henna and Indian hair oils and products. I bought 2 boxes of henna one for a $1 and the other for $1.50! :eek: The brands are Shaista Brown Mehndi and the other Dulhan Mehendi Deluxe Heena Powder. They both are described as being suitable for hair and hands, so it look like it's Body Art Quality to boot. :cool: Plus they are finely milled like face powder none of the twigs and things that were a pain to rinse from my Rainbow henna. My question for my henna sistas is have any of you used these brands of henna before?

I also scored on a bottle of Dabur Vatika hair oil which is chock full of goodies like Alma, Henna and assorted plant extracts in coconut oil base. I am really excited about this new discovery the India store and my haul today. :trampolin

Kimberly

Yep, I scored at the Indian supermarket myself. I didn't get either of the brands you mentioned but I love how fine the henna powder is. The other kind left me feelinglike I had coffee grounds in my hair. I grabbed the Dabur Amla oil too and have been using it 3 times a week as a prepoo ever since. Good stuff.

Cayenne0622

Thanks for the info! I had been debating on visiting one of the many Indian stores in Houston so this helps with my decision. I also emailed a lady who does henna parties (body art) and asked her where I could find pure henna. I told her I wanted to use it on my hair. I was surprised she emailed me back. She actually referred me to an Indian store that I was planning to visit. Its the first one on my list. She said the have a good supply of everything. She did however say that since uses a great deal of henna for bridal showers, etc., she orders her henna directly from India wholesale. She was kind enough to say that she would put some on the side for me if I wanted her too or if I didn't find anything to my liking at the Indian store. How sweet is that? Complete stranger.

Tee

Cayenne0622 said:
Thanks for the info! I had been debating on visiting one of the many Indian stores in Houston so this helps with my decision. I also emailed a lady who does henna parties (body art) and asked her where I could find pure henna. I told her I wanted to use it on my hair. I was surprised she emailed me back. She actually referred me to an Indian store that I was planning to visit. Its the first one on my list. She said the have a good supply of everything. She did however say that since uses a great deal of henna for bridal showers, etc., she orders her henna directly from India wholesale. She was kind enough to say that she would put some on the side for me if I wanted her too or if I didn't find anything to my liking at the Indian store. How sweet is that? Complete stranger.

That was very sweet. I think is the only reason I decided not to Henna. It can get very costly. I would need more and then shipping on top of the Henna is a bit much for this PJ. I will stick with what I am doing for now. Glad you all are finding these great prices!

LovelyLionessa

Yeah, I love the idea of being able to find hair products locally, including henna. The whole ordering online, paying for shipping and waiting to receive the goods can get tiring and costly. The India henna is amazing in texture. It's like green baby powder. I can't wait to try the Dabur Vatika oil too. Looks like I'll be frequenting this Indian grocery store from now on. :cool:

Mestiza

Priestess said:
Wow you can get some great deals on henna there! I discovered an Indian supermarket near my house and it is a treasure trove of henna and Indian hair oils and products. I bought 2 boxes of henna one for a $1 and the other for $1.50! :eek: The brands are Shaista Brown Mehndi and the other Dulhan Mehendi Deluxe Heena Powder. They both are described as being suitable for hair and hands, so it look like it's Body Art Quality to boot. :cool: Plus they are finely milled like face powder none of the twigs and things that were a pain to rinse from my Rainbow henna. My question for my henna sistas is have any of you used these brands of henna before?

I also scored on a bottle of Dabur Vatika hair oil which is chock full of goodies like Alma, Henna and assorted plant extracts in coconut oil base. I am really excited about this new discovery the India store and my haul today. :trampolin

I bought Dulhan Mehendi Deluxe Heena Powder a couple of weeks ago and used it the last time that I hennaed my hair. Let me tell you, it was the ABSOLUTE BEST henna that I have EVER used. :love: I really love it and went back to the store and bought 10 more boxes.

I buy my henna, Indian oils and powders from Indian stores. I have to use a lot of henna and there is no way that I could afford to buy it online. The prices at my local Indian stores are so much cheaper and the quality of the merchandise is outstanding.

I've got to get some Dabur Vatika Oil.

Happy Hennaing! :wink2:

LovelyLionessa

Mestiza said:
I bought Dulhan Mehendi Deluxe Heena Powder a couple of weeks ago and used it the last time that I hennaed my hair. Let me tell you, it was the ABSOLUTE BEST henna that I have EVER used. :love: I really love it and went back to the store and bought 10 more boxes.

I buy my henna, Indian oils and powders from Indian stores. I have to use a lot of henna and there is no way that I could afford to buy it online. The prices at my local Indian stores are so much cheaper and the quality of the merchandise is outstanding.

I've got to get some Dabur Vatika Oil.

Happy Hennaing! :wink2:

Thanks so much for the tip, Mestiza. I better go out and stock up! :driver:

It's nice to have some validation on a product from a LHCF henna sister! :cool: When I go back, I think I'm gonna also pick up a bottle of Amla oil that I've been hearing raves about.

http://www.dabur.com/EN/products/personal_care/Hair_Care/Amla/

My hair obsession continues. :grin:

Mestiza

Priestess said:
Thanks so much for the tip, Mestiza. I better go out and stock up! :driver:

It's nice to have some validation on a product from a LHCF henna sister! :cool: When I go back, I think I'm gonna also pick up a bottle of Amla oil that I've been hearing raves about.

http://www.dabur.com/EN/products/personal_care/Hair_Care/Amla/

My hair obsession continues. :grin:

YW, Henna Sister! :wink2:

I was playing w/ my Dulhan Henna earlier tonight before I mixed it. It is so fine and feels so soft.

The Dabur Amla Hair Oil is fantastic! :love: I've been using it for a long time, now. Some people don't like the scent, but it doesn't bother me. It smells similar to Bergamont hair grease to me.

I had a dream that I bought Dabur Vatika Oil, used it and went back to buy more. :lol: Whether that happens, or not, I'll let you know.

LovelyLionessa

Mestiza said:
YW, Henna Sister! :wink2:
Mestiza said:
I was playing w/ my Dulhan Henna earlier tonight before I mixed it. It is so fine and feels so soft.

The Dabur Amla Hair Oil is fantastic! :love: I've been using it for a long time, now. Some people don't like the scent, but it doesn't bother me. It smells similar to Bergamont hair grease to me.

I had a dream that I bought Dabur Vatika Oil, used it and went back to buy more. :lol: Whether that happens, or not, I'll let you know.

Hey Henna Sis! ;) BTW, what does YW stand for? :look:

I can't wait to use that henna! When I went back to the Indian store they only had one bottle of the Alma oil and it was slightly worse for wear, the label was all drenched in oil. :ohwell: So I guess I'll have to wait on that one. Other people don't like the smell of henna or WGO, but I kinda like the way those things smell, so I probably won't mind the smell of the Amla oil when I get my hands on it.

That dream you had about the Vatika oil is funny. I used it and fell in love with it and promptly ran out and bought another bottle since I couldn't get the Amla one. I also got some more of the Dulhan Henna too. :sekret:

Mestiza

Priestess said:
Hey Henna Sis! ;) BTW, what does YW stand for? :look:

I can't wait to use that henna! When I went back to the Indian store they only had one bottle of the Alma oil and it was slightly worse for wear, the label was all drenched in oil. :ohwell: So I guess I'll have to wait on that one. Other people don't like the smell of henna or WGO, but I kinda like the way those things smell, so I probably won't mind the smell of the Amla oil when I get my hands on it.

That dream you had about the Vatika oil is funny. I used it and fell in love with it and promptly ran out and bought another bottle since I couldn't get the Amla one. I also got some more of the Dulhan Henna too. :sekret:
:wave:

YW = You're Welcome. :)

I hope that you can get some Amla Oil, soon.

I bought some Dabur Vatika Oil and guess what? I do love it! :love:

MissYocairis

What a coincidence. :) I JUST went into an Indian store yesterday and found BAQ Cassia (110 grams for 6.95!) and BAQ Henna (100 grams for 2.95!)!!!! They also had Dabur Amla oil and Parachute Coconut oil! I did a strand test with the Cassia and went ahead and put that in today. I'm "releasing" a sample of the henna so that I can do a strand test on that tomorrow.

Cichelle

Yup, I've definitely learned to go to the Indian stores for my henna. I highly doubt I'll be buying on line again now that I've found Jamila henna for $1.99 a box! I'm planning to go to a "little India" section of the city next week and see what I can find there. My hair doesn't like oils, in general, but I think I want to give that Dabur Vatika hair oil a try...just to see. :)

LovelyLionessa

Mestiza said:
:wave:

YW = You're Welcome. :)

Oooooh, I get it! :think: :lol:

Mestiza said:
I hope that you can get some Amla Oil, soon.

I bought some Dabur Vatika Oil and guess what? I do love it! :love:

Yeah, girl, I gotta get my hands on that Amla Oil. The Vatika stuff is good, I used some last night and fell in love with it all over again! :dinner:

firecracker

I lurrrrrvvvvve ya'll:) . Tnanks for sharing low cost hair care products. I wanna try the Amla Oil and Henna. Can I use it on my afro? Does the oil leave a nice sheen and is it light?

I started to try some Olin products and other high end products listed in a few mag's for afro hair but I decided helz nawl I'm not going out like a sucka.:lachen: Those mags are trying to rip me off and they pay to advertise in those mags anyways. I so want to give in. :( Please keep sharing your products and how they turn out on your hair ladies.

I used henna back in the day on straight hair and loved it.

tenderheaded

Thanks for the tip:cool: I went to a local Indian store and bought amla powder $1.99 for 3.5 oz, Vatika oil for $1.99 and Shiakai powder for $1.99. I got desperate because it looked like FNWL was never gonna get more stock. This is WAY cheaper - no shipping and it's prepackaged.

You ladies are the best. Keep the good ideas coming:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

gymfreak336

Priestess said:

I just found an Indian store around the corner from my house. I got a box of henna, I think its the dulhan one for a buck fifty too. I also got a 16oz bottle of alma oil that has other stuff added it to for hair growth for 5 bucks. What a deal!!

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
I bought 100g box of Mumtaz Alroosa for $1.99 and also Amla powder for the same price today. I'd love to get my hands on some Jamila locally, but I haven't had any luck yet. I just hope the Indian merchants don't get hip to the henna revolution and jack the prices up!!!