Those who are transitioning to natural

Lucia

1. What were the reasons for getting you to take this big step?
2. Did you have a relaxer or texturizer?
3. Any difficulties that made you give up or almost give up?
4. For those that are now 100% natural any regrets?
5. How does managability, styling, and dryness(if you have any) compare from being relaxed, texturized, compare to being natural.
6. Did you have to change haircare regime, products?
Thanks in advance ladies.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
1. What were the reasons for getting you to take this big step? I saw all the inspirational natural albums here and thought to myself, I can have long healthy hair without a relaxer. Also, curiosity and appreciating the hair texture God gave me.

2. Did you have a relaxer or texturizer? relaxer

3. Any difficulties that made you give up or almost give up? Yes. The difference in texture of my new growth (thick/curly) and relaxed hair (thin/straight). It made me want to cut my relaxed ends off which I finally did after 7 months.

4. For those that are now 100% natural any regrets? NO REGRETS WHATSOEVER! I don't have to worry about getting a touch-up anymore.

5. How does managability, styling, and dryness(if you have any) compare from being relaxed, texturized, compare to being natural. My natural hair is very short, so it's low maintenance/managability and I don't have to worry about styling yet.

6. Did you have to change haircare regime, products? I've always been in the process of using different products to see what works for my hair. I never really had a set consistent regime for a long time before going natural and I still don't have one! :lol:

BTW, here is a thread that may help answer some of your questions as well: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=54776

Hope that helps!!! ;)

Dolapo

1. What were the reasons for getting you to take this big step? i miss my natural hair
2. Did you have a relaxer or texturizer? relaxer
3. Any difficulties that made you give up or almost give up? err.....no
4. For those that are now 100% natural any regrets? im not 100% natural yet but i dont have any regrets so far
5. How does managability, styling, and dryness(if you have any) compare from being relaxed, texturized, compare to being natural. i have no idea yet. my hair is very short so i dont know what to do with it now.
6. Did you have to change haircare regime, products? not yet

moda

1. What were the reasons for getting you to take this big step? I was natural basically until I became an adult, when I relazed I realized it was not a necessity for me.

relaxer

3. Any difficulties that made you give up or almost give up? Not really, the only thing I had to give up was being able to wet wrap my hair (the main reason I relaxed in the 1st place)

4. For those that are now 100% natural any regrets? That I did not do it sooner

5. How does managability, styling, and dryness(if you have any) compare from being relaxed, texturized, compare to being natural. My hair is drier being natural, but nothing a moisturizer can't fix.

6. Did you have to change haircare regime, products? Not too much, I'm always on the look out for something to improve my hair's condition. The only thing I can say changed for sure was my use of setting lotion, it seems to make my hair drier and hard :ohwell:

Ms Red

I had been natural for 18 or 19 yrs. and then relaxed in college. I experienced a lot of breaking even when I stretched my relaxer for 4-5 months at a time. I just started transitioning in April because I realized that I don't need to relax my hair.

2. Did you have a relaxer or texturizer? I had a regular strength relaxer and relaxed only 2-3 times per year.

3. Any difficulties that made you give up or almost give up? I'm a new transitioner. (3 months) Nothing has made me want to give up yet. I take my time and detangle the hair, wash my hair 1-2 a week and do transitional styles 50% of the time.

4. For those that are now 100% natural any regrets? N/A

5. How does managability, styling, and dryness(if you have any) compare from being relaxed, texturized, compare to being natural.
When I was natural, I never had a problem with brittle, dry, breaking hair like I did when I relaxed. My only concern was that my hair got huge when the humidity hit it (the length was 3 inches past shoulder). I only thought that my relaxed hair was more manageable because I had limited styling options as a natural. Knowing what I know about natural styles and versatility, I can't wait to be 100% natural again. My hair is 3c in some parts and 4a in others.

When I relaxed I did not have much of a regimen. I went to the stylist every 2 weeks like clockwork and just moisturized and wrapped my hair in between appointments. As I'm transitioning I have developed a very simplistic regimen. I think my hair turns out better with limited products and room to breathe. So yes, since transitioning, I have changed my regimen drastically. I shampoo, condition and deep condition my hair 1-2/week, and when I was relaxed I did this maybe every 2 weeks. The products I use have also changed and become more organic.

HTH!

Cichelle

Practically speaking, I really don't want to use those kinds of chemicals on my head anymore and I also hated feeling like a slave to the "touch up". On a deeper level, I began to see how I was hiding and pretending by relaxing my hair. Ultimately, (to put it in a nutshell) it was interferring with my spiritual and emotional growth. ( I do NOT think this is true for everyone who uses relaxers. In fact, I think it is untrue for most people. I have a particular history that makes this a reality for me.)

relaxer

I am currently almost 14 months into my transition so I have really gone beyond the point that I would go put a relaxer in my hair. (Though, I am not saying it is out of the question. Lots of things could happen to change my mind. But I just highly doubt it at this point.) However, I have faced difficulties with my hair, mostly because I did not know how to deal with the two textures, particularly the line of demarcation. I think I am on the right track now, though. I hope.

not applicable....yet. :)

I am not completely natural yet, but I do see that my natural hair has different needs than my relaxed hair. It's mostly a moisture issue. My natural hair is dryer. But I really love to CW everyday. I just love rinsing my hair at least once a day, something I was afraid to do when my hair was relaxed and I had no idea about haircare. So I am working on the moisture issues.

Absolutely, I have changed my hair care products and regimen. Well, I am still working on a regimen....but I'm getting there. Before I decided to go natural, I really didn't take care of my hair well at all. It's a blessing that I still have a full head of it!

Great questions! Thanks for asking.

ajargon02

Lucia said:
I am learning to embrace who I am just as god made me. It was time to
get to know me w/out the extensions, weaves

I had 1 relaxer, and 1 jehri curl in my life, so 2 perms in my life

My hair just doesn't do well w/ chemicals, especially perms of any sort.
Color isn't too bad, but I don't do it often.

NOPE, NONE AT ALL!:D My own hair looks really great on me! I know that
probably sounds weird, but I just look better w/ my natural hair.

For me it doesn't even come close to comparing. Once I found what
worked for my hair, which is mostly natural products(shea butter,
jojoba/almond oil, eo's, dr bronners, aubrey organics ect) My hair is just
thriving! Plus I like to do my hair, and I don't mind taking the time to
make my own butters and such. For me it's much cheaper then having to
go to the salon all the time to have them maintain my hair.
Yes! There are certain products that my hair doesn't agree w/ at all. Like
petroleum, mineral oil, sls/als, olive oil, any chemical that ends w/ cone
(ex. Dimethicone)My hair LOVES water! Which works out great in the
warmer months. I will wash and go, or wet my hair in the shower, and it's
no big deal. I love it when it rains too!:)

hey no prob!

SilkyandSmooth

I grew tired of my relaxed hair and missed my natural hair.
Relaxer
Around the sx month mark, my hair just didn't want to work with me. I had a hard time detangling and my hair looked a mess. I've since found the products that work best with my hair.
Parts of my hair are all natural (my sides have always been shorter than the rest of my hair) and I have absolutely no regrets.
There isn't much difference as far as manageability and styling are concerned. I thought it would be more difficult to care for my natural hair but it really hasn't been. Dryness isn't a problem with my natural hair. I make sure that my hair stays moisturized. When I was relaxed, no matter what I did to my hair, it always looked and felt dry.
Sure did. I no longer use Dominican products b/c they tangle my hair something awful. Cheap conditioners work wonders on my hair. I never used gel when I was relaxed, but I use it all the time now to hold and define my waves/curls.

curlilocs

Relaxers were losing their effectiveness on my hair. It is really curly.

2. Did you have a relaxer or texturizer? Relaxer

3. Any difficulties that made you give up or almost give up? Nope

4. For those that are now 100% natural any regrets? Nope

5. How does managability, styling, and dryness(if you have any) compare from being relaxed, texturized, compare to being natural. A TWA is super manageable. There really is no comparison to long relaxed hair. It's the complete opposite of the spectrum. It's much healthier, does not shed as much and so far so good with no significant dryness.

6. Did you have to change haircare regime, products? I preferred the wash and go method while I transitioned. This was easiest for me. I guess you could say I'm still doing that now. I've been COWing my hair daily and applying the same products, only my relaxed hair responded well to setting lotion, I haven't tried it with my natural hair yet.

caligirl

I have a friend with the most beautiful natural hair that you could imagine. It's super thick, soft, and down to her waist (flat-ironed). All she does is rinse her hair and leave in Herbal Essences Conditioner. I thought about how simple her regimen was, plus how sexy and free her hair looked. That did it for me.

Relaxer

Right around the three month mark when I would normally relax, my hair started to lock. It would take me a week to try to untangle my hair. I wanted to cry and I thought "why am I doing this to myself?"

not-applicable, yet

My braidouts look so much better on the natural portion of my hair. See, natural hair wants to be curly, so it will easily hold any set you give it. I do the same styles as I did relaxed (braidouts and blowouts) and they look better.

YES! I was ready to give up when God brought Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner into my life. I had no more locking, my hair was easy to comb and set, and it made my coarse hair very soft.

MeccaMedinah

I had no idea what my natural hair texture was like and didn't really care. After browsing around the site for a while I began to realize the potential of 'our' hair. I realized that I did not need a relaxer to look cute. And, that you didn't need "good" hair to wear your hair naturally. I was a slave mentally and physically to that relaxer... I knew no better.
Relaxer
I haven't even been tempted to relax.
Not even one.
When I style it, I have more realistic expectations. I don't expect smooth silky hair; because that's not what I was born with. As I experience my hair more it becomes easier to do. I know what my hair likes.
I am just much more conscious of what I use on my hair.

Last edited:

TrulyBlessed

Shedding so bad that hair stylists were concerned. Tired of long relaxed hair. I love the thickness of natural hair (no more anorexic cornrows and my edges are completely filled :grin: ).

relaxer

I gave up the first time after 5 months because the tangles were horrid and I didnt know about washing in sections and using Elucence products. I decided to transition again the same day I got a relaxer put back in. (sometimes it takes a 2nd transition to realize what you are missing out on)

4. For those that are now 100% natural any regrets? n/a

As a transitioner, I feel like I have to plan my styles ahead of time. There is no get up and go hair like with my relaxer. It takes more effort but the results are worth it. My new growth feels much stronger, thicker, and not shedding by the handful like it was when relaxed.

6. Did you have to change haircare regime, products? Yes at first. For new transitioners, I recommend researching fotki albums and posts of hair idols and members with a similar hairtype and see what they are using. I have been using certain popular products that work for many naturals with short and long hair. So far in the 8 month of my transition they are still working well and hopefully will continue into naturalhood ;) As far as techniques now I have to wash in sections unlike before.

kristina

I didn't really decide to go natural. I put in a texturizer in 2002 and after eight weeks I went to braids nonstop for 2+ years. It was really more economical, it didn't make sense to get a texturizer when I only wore my hair out 2 weeks a year.
2. Did you have a relaxer or texturizer? I've had both. I was relaxed from 6-18 and tried a texturizer twice.
When I stopped braiding, I had lots of natural hair but didn't know how to style or handle it (I never had natural hair). So I have had more than my share of 'hot mess' hair days.That and the texturized ends were constantly breaking off, I had to do some chops because my ends were almost see through. I actually really like the look of healthy relaxed hair so it was certainly a temptation but ultimately, I'm too risk adverse to try it again. 4. For those that are now 100% natural any regrets?
Nope. Natural hair is really great. I dream of my hair being super long, puffy and naptastic- I can't wait!
My natural hair is super thick and detangling is the most time consuming part of being natural- I had to let go of the mentality that hair has to be tamed. My natural styles are initially time consuming because I like tiny twists and braids but the upkept is low. I still rock buns and updos.
Yes, I don't use grease anymore and while in styles, I wet my hair almost everyday. I also refrain from using lots of products with protein. I only use a light protein once every 8-10 weeks.

blue_flower

A few years ago I was 100% natural after being relaxed for a year. The year before that I had been natural for a little more than a year. I transitioned from relaxer to natural because my hair was thinning and becoming weak. I didn't like the scalp burns. So I was completely natural until I screwed it up with a texturizer and now I'm transitioning again.

I had a texturizer and I havent' had another touch-up for over a year.

The reason why I went to a texturizer is because I had heard a lot of good things about it. I thought my hair would be easier to manage, but it didn't make much of a difference.

My texturized hair still has a wave pattern but it's weaker than the new growth coming in. The new growth is shiny, soft, and strong. My hair is still super thick. I only comb my hair when it's wet.

Not really. I try new stuff from time to time. Grease, conditioner, water, and Fantasia Gel do wonders.

Ayeshia

4. For those that are now 100% natural any regrets? No No regrets...BUT the only thing I hate about my hair are these single stand knots...I mean they really dont do anything to my hair. But it is annoying to know that they are there.

Well my realxed hair behaved a lot like my natural hair as far a frizz goes and whatnot. But my natural hair is super curly. My hair is always dry...relaxed or natural so I have to constantly moisturize it.

Yes.....I now need LESS products in my natural hair. I dont need to deep condition often, no heat protectant because I dont use heat, and no grease. I dunno why I used that in the first place. All I need now is Conditoner, and a few moisture porducts and Im good :)

Victorian

old head
*Inspiration from natural hair albums; Not having to worry about who was going to do my touch ups when I moved from home (didn't want to go to a salon, doubtful of my own abilities...). I knew it would be a while before I actually moved away from home, but once the idea of going natural occurred to me, I figured there was no reason to wait--I knew I wanted to grow my natural hair long so I figured I'd better get started :yep:

*relaxer

*No. I learned early on that I was going to have to be flexible and "listen" to my hair during the transition. Once I learned that, no little problems that came up along the way were serious enough to make me go back to square one.

No way! My hair is fun to play with :lol:

*Besides doing the actual relaxing, taking care of my relaxed hair wasn't particularly involved for me. I washed and blowdried once a week. I wore it in a ponytail or bun 99% of the time.
Now I wash just about everyday. However, it doesn't really feel like more work to me because my hair tangles less and I use fewer products, so it just sort of balances out. I just wear it "free" or with a scarf, so the styling isn't any more involved either. It's healthier now, though, and feels more moisturized. :yep:

*Definitely. At first I didn't change anything and continued to wear my hair the same way I always did. Once I had long passed my usual touch-up time (normally about 3 months), it was harder to put my hair in a bun each day, so I started doing more frequent con washes, and bunning the hair while wet. This worked for a pretty long time, but by the time my hair was about 50/50 relaxed and natural, the detangling became a bit of a chore and I felt like I was losing too much hair. So then I went back to washing once a week and simply blew out the roots with a blowdryer. I did that up until my big chop. Whew! So yeah....lots of regimen changes. I will say, though, that my staple products remained essentially the same (jason cons, giovanni leave-in). The different styling products, moisturizers and such changed over time, so that now I don't really use them anymore. Everything's much simpler now.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Lucia said:

1. My hair doesn't take relaxers anymore
3. My hubby liked the look of texturized hair
2. texturizer- sorry went out of order
4. won't have regrets when i'M 100% NATURAL!
5. my hair is curly now....inexplicable result of mtg
6. I'm trying to learn how to braid/twist/ take care of my natural hair. :) I know mtg will be part of my life forever!

chocolate01

What were the reasons for getting you to take the big step?

I just didn't want to relax my hair anymore. I got my last touchup last Aug and have never once thought or picked up a phone to make an appointment to get a relaxer.

Did you have a relaxer of texturizer? Relaxer

Any difficulties that made you give up or almost give up?

Around month 9 I got a little lazy and didn't keep up with my hair for a couple days. My hair got very tangled and gave me a headache trying to detangle. That moment made me want to cut my hair off not get a relaxer.

For those that are natural any regrets?

I'm still transitioning but I have no regrets whatsoever.

How does managability, styling, dryness compare from being relaxed, compare to being natural?

My transitioning hair is a lot more to handle but nothing I can't deal with. I love the styling options that I have now. My braidouts/twistouts look so much better, especially on the parts of my hair that are all natural. My transitioing hair is dryer than my relaxed hair was so moisture is really my focus. I CW at least twice a week.

Did you have to change your regimen, products?

I changed my regimen. When I was relaxed I washed my hair once a week blowdried/flatironed and wore my hair in a wrap. Now I shampoo on the weekend and CW two days a week. I can't really say that I have had to change my products because I never had staple products to begin with.

candibaby

I wanted to see my natural hair, because I planned to do it sooner or later anyway.
Relaxer.
It wasnt the difficulties in combing or anything that made me give up, it's just that I realized I want to flaunt my bra-strap straight hair for awhile before I give it all up to become a short natural, because I've realized that it will take quite awhile for my natural hair to get to the length I want it to be when I BC, and since I no longer have a good regular braider, I just couldn't do it. So I quit transitioning at 21 weeks and am now just stretching my relaxer to 28 weeks.
Yes, I did. I think it might stick even though I'm going to be relaxing in 5 weeks. I washed my hair more often (2 or 3 times a week), quit deep conditioning so much, started using cheapie products as well. I just think I'll probably end up having a salon brand conditioner for deep conditioning.. but all my other products will most likely stay the same.

KansasHalo

For me - many. For one, I was T-I-R-E-D of spending 6-8 hours on my Satiruday sitting in a beautyshop - then paying $50-$75 to boot. Also, I love highlights, but my hair can not take both a relaxer and serious hair color at once - every piece that was high lighted - BROKE OFF. I'm still trying to thicken up the "crown" of my hair from where most of them were. Plus, I wanted to go back to having options (curly, straight, etc.) and not having to be dependant upon someone or something in order to do my hair. I didn't get a relaxer well until high school and I just wanted to go back to the press in curl (or just curl)

2. Did you have a relaxer or texturizer? Mizani mild relaxer

3. Any difficulties that made you give up or almost give up? YES! At one point, after transitioning for about 6 to 8 months, I did relax again(more like texturize it) but right after I did it, I knew that would be the last time. For me, the hardest past seemed to be the time frame of 6 - 12 months - because of dealing with two textures mostly. Thankfully, I didn't have much demarcation breakage at all (I mostly just pressed my new growth) but having lots of two different textures on one head almost made a sista scream!

4. For those that are now 100% natural any regrets? I still have about 5 inches of relaxed hair (its acts natural though - maybe it just gave up. LOL) but I have NO REGRETS! I don't have to sit in the stylist chair anymore and say that all familiar prayer of "Lord,please don't let my hair fall out from this relaxer." Even though it was the same one everytime, but yall know with a relaxer, you never know. LOL

I have noticed that my hair is drier, so I do wear it up or covered a lot more (like when I'm at home) and I also ALWAYS deep condition it everytime I wash it - which is once a week

Yep. Now, I'm really into making my own hair oil, so I primarily will use that to moisturize my scalp and hair. I also press with my oil too. I no longer use silicone-base products anymore, although i still use a little NTM serum after washing because that product just has AMAZING SLIP like nothing else. My natural hair is not wavy, but ringlets, so it can tangle easy and in a hurry. Unless, I'm planning to wear my hair curly, air-drying now is a NO NO. For a press, my hair can not stand my FHI, but loves my maxiglide (I gues its the steam=moisture).

Since being 90% natural, i think my hair products when from like 15 items to 5.

Last edited:

CHEEKQUEEN

I missed being natural. I loved how easy it was to do a wash and go. My hair is naturally fine and with a relaxer its so thin. I like how thick my hair is when natural. I hate repeated chemical burns. I hate the way my hair turns brown when relaxed. I like versatility with being natural. My hair is a lot stronger natural.
Relaxer
None what-so-ever. I am determined to get my natural hair back.
n/a
My new growth is easier to manage when moisturized properly. It takes a lot more product in order to slick my hair down good.
I do everything pretty much the same. The only thing that has changed is the way I detangle. I also wash my hair while in 4 sectioned braids.

loulou82

Frustration with unprofessional salons. My hair was always thin when I had relaxers. I couldn't see myself being a self- relaxer. I started to appreciate my new growth for what it is- healthy, coily, beautiful hair.

I had a bone straight relaxer except for the last one which left me a bit under-processed.

No. I haven't had the urge to relaxer again. Even with frustration I tell myself I can always flat iron or, if push comes to shove, BC. But washing is still the most frustrating process. I occasionally have breaking that tests my patience.

N/A

N/A

My NG requires moisture while my relaxed ends can come over moisturized. My relaxed ends also requires more protein.