Those of you who bun.....

drappedup

......how do you do it? More specifically, those of you who SOCK bun, what kind of sock are you using?

I ask this because I sock bun, and I use a normal black sock (I think it's cotton? I have had the same 4 pairs of black socks for nearly 2 years so I don't recall), but it wasn't until recently that it occurred to me the material might be something of an obstacle, which is a real shame considering I'm still a newb at this whole thing. So, I was wondering, satin socks? I've googled, I've looked at Sally's, Walmart, Target, and Walgreens, and I cannot find a satin/silk sock or nylon, ANYTHING I can make a sock bun out of. The closest I've come, was a random experiment idea I got while disappointed in the aisles of Walmart, where I wondering if I could simply layer a satin hair cap over my already made up sock bun. With much effort I cut up the satin hair cap to fit with my sock, but then I ran into the issue of how to get the satin to STAY in the actual donut (didn't occur to me originally)......and I don't sew or have any kind of fabric glue or anything, so that idea is out.

Is there simply not such a thing as a satin sock?

.....and I do need to wear my hair up, preferably in a bun or some other simple updo for work. I've always done the sock bun because it's something EVEN I can do, lol. I tried looking up other styles on youtube, but I swear none work for me in the way that would be presentable for work.

.....so yes, basically, I'm wondering, how are ya ladies doing your buns? ESPECIALLY those of you using the SOCK method!! Much appreciated!

tmhuggiebear

Hi, I do a sock bun. I use regular coton socks for the inside. For the outside(the part that actually touches my hair) I wrapped a piece of black satin cloth that I cut off of old pajamas.

Bun Mistress

I don't really do this any more but you could get a black satin scruchie and use that. I'm a hair stik/pin girl myself.

drappedup

Hi, I do a sock bun. I use regular coton socks for the inside. For the outside(the part that actually touches my hair) I wrapped a piece of black satin cloth that I cut off of old pajamas.

How are you getting the satin cloth to stick to the sock? That's basically what I was trying to do with cutting up my satin hair cap and using that......but it wouldn't hold enough to the point where I could get a real smooth bun like I can without it. :ohwell:

drappedup

I don't really do this any more but you could get a black satin scruchie and use that. I'm a hair stik/pin girl myself.

I've tried to use just a hair stick/pin instead, but there's no way I can get away with it in uniform.....my hair is just too thick and ends up really frumpy and poofy looking from the front, even if I love how the back comes out (this is actually the only other updo I can both do, and tolerate, really, with my very limited skills). I know it'd come out less frumped up if I was using my flat iron, but I don't use them anymore. :perplexed

Junebug D

Do you not like the mesh donut shapers at Sally's? Socks were not working for me; my hair would stick and dry out and break. No problems with the donut shaper.

drappedup

Do you not like the mesh donut shapers at Sally's? Socks were not working for me; my hair would stick and dry out and break. No problems with the donut shaper.

Yeah, I've thought of that. I have looked at both of the Sally's for those, but I can't find them. I remember about a year ago when I was visiting family, I went to Sally's and happened to find them, but they were light brown. I need something matching my exact hair color, which is black (this is for hair regulation purposes). So I just kind of shrugged it off and stuck with my sock, like I was shown in bmt. Then, of course, I have only recently, beginning this year, actually put serious thought into taking care of my own hair.....which is why I kind of never followed up on it.

Junebug D

Yeah, I've thought of that. I have looked at both of the Sally's for those, but I can't find them. I remember about a year ago when I was visiting family, I went to Sally's and happened to find them, but they were light brown. I need something matching my exact hair color, which is black (this is for hair regulation purposes). So I just kind of shrugged it off and stuck with my sock, like I was shown in bmt. Then, of course, I have only recently, beginning this year, actually put serious thought into taking care of my own hair.....which is why I kind of never followed up on it.

They have black ones, they probably just sell out quickly. Try asking if they can order some and give you a call when they come in? I've seen them on Ebay too, but I know some people don't like to shop online.

drappedup

I got a foam donut bun and wrapped it up with a black knee-high that I didn't use anymore. Then I put my hair in a ponytail, put the donut bun over the ponytail, then fan out my hair over the donut, smooth it out, then put a ponytail holder over it.

Here's pictures of my donut bun in this post: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=10873920&postcount=37

WOW, that bun looks awesome! I love the red flower, btw. Spices it up even more!

They have black ones, they probably just sell out quickly. Try asking if they can order some and give you a call when they come in? I've seen them on Ebay too, but I know some people don't like to shop online.

I have been googling everything from "fake hair bun" to "sock bun", etc., and I think I have FINALLY found some of the sponge kind online.....they have them on Amazon, and that's one of the only sites I do order from, so I will likely order if I can't find much else. I just hate when the product I'm ordering cost less than the shipping. >.<

JuiceMobsta

Ive worn a GIANT sock bun for military purposes by using the issued thick socks, brown or black, but I really think they arent a good choice for length retention,:ohwell: cause you get little hairs up in the sock

drappedup

^ YUP!!! That's the same sock I'm using! The military-issued black ones. I unrolled the sock the other day when I realized this might be hurting my whole regime. And there definitely were little hairs stuck in the folds. I literally have had my hair in a sock bun nearly 24/7 too, since I started this whole thing 8 weeks ago. :perplexed

You'd think a company would come up with a satin donut to use. That seems so much simpler.

drappedup

So I've continued to google and I did come across this, which is interesting. Also, apparently using the hair donut sponges alone also have similar effects as a normal cotton sock. :perplexed

.....the idea she came up with is pretty clever, though. I may have to end up doing that, at least until I get enough length where I can make a decent full bun without any kind of sock or anything.

drappedup

I looked at Walmart in the men's section, some of them felt very satin-y, but then when I would look at the material it would say it was polyester.....

aurora3140

Satin is a type of weave, not a fiber. Many satin things are polyester. Those socks should be fine.

:)

Last edited:

RosesBlack

When I used sock buns I wrapped mine in KK hair then made sure to use some oil sheen spray on the hair and my hair didn't stick. Or you could buy a satin scarf and cut the toe off of your sock, roll it up. Then use one or two little stitches to secure one end of the satin to the inside of the sock bun, wrap the satin around and then use a couple more little stitches to secure the end.

~NanCeBoTwin~

I have to go with JuneBug D on this one.....For my doughnut buns I use the mesh doughnut thingy from Sallys. They are usually on the asile with the fake hair, directly across from the hair. I've also seen them at a couple of BSS.

If you think the socks may cause damage, you may want to try a different type of bun until you can find a solution for the doughnut bun. Like the Southern Tease Bun...

or simply pinning your hair up into a messy bun.

WaistLengthDreams

I have to go with JuneBug D on this one.....For my doughnut buns I use the mesh doughnut thingy from Sallys. They are usually on the asile with the fake hair, directly across from the hair. I've also seen them at a couple of BSS.

If you think the socks may cause damage, you may want to try a different type of bun until you can find a solution for the doughnut bun. Like the Southern Tease Bun...

or simply pinning your hair up into a messy bun.

How did you do that messy bun? Do you have a tutorial?

BellaLunie

I usually do a doughnut bun but I took one of my brothers old church sock. Recently I've been phony-bunning so I've been baggying underneath. I got this http://www.blackhairspray.com/product-p/hbn09.htm althought I dont put it high like that, I place it where I place my doughtnut bun. Have you ever thought of baggying under your bun or phony pony? Blackhairspray has some great ones

WyrdWay

I've always used a pair of tights or stockings, they feel pretty darn smooth. I didn't know people acttually used real socks until I joined the forums.

SummerSolstice

I sewed some satin pillow rollers together into a circle. Before I use my lil circle I spray it down with some oil sheen. When I take my bun down my hair is really moisturized and shiny. It helps me my hair is dry as tumbleweed.

chasturner84

I couldn't use the sock either...so I bought the mesh bun from Sally's (they also have them at Walmart now) and cut up an old satin bonnet and wrapped the fabric around it. If you do it this way, the color of the mesh bun wouldn't matter.

SelfStyled

I skip the donut all together. I make a low french braid with a pack of .99 yaki hair
and then loosely clip it up with two small clip. I anchor the clips into the french braid. It is the most tension free bun, no breakage, it looks like a bun, though it is really a french braid.....

I learned a while ago the reg. buns can cause breakage for me.

Bnster

I love how your Southern Tease Bun looks.

Last edited:

mizzy247

I usually do a doughnut bun but I took one of my brothers old church sock. Recently I've been phony-bunning so I've been baggying underneath. I got this http://www.blackhairspray.com/product-p/hbn09.htm althought I dont put it high like that, I place it where I place my doughtnut bun. Have you ever thought of baggying under your bun or phony pony? Blackhairspray has some great ones

Wow now this is a great idea for protective styling and for those of us with not alot hair to cover a bun..lol! Thanks for sharing