This is the most IGNORANT HAIR VIDEO I HAVE EVER SEEN!

cutenss

That video was beyond hilarious :lachen: "Imma need..." :lachen: I subscribed to her. I truly needed that laugh. I was crying. That was too funny.

nikolite

But wouldn't in this case, you would say that you are embracing a natural lifestyle? IE embracing a more natural way of life. To me, that's totally different than the term "natural hair"

Yep, that was my point. The natural hair was probably secondary for me, though very important still. "Natural hair" still goes with that. I was just saying that some of us are holistic naturals and that people go natural for different reasons. Lifestyle has a lot to do with it, IMO, and its not irrational at all, it actually makes perfect sense. We're not different from natural hair, we are a subset of naturals. And I actually think most who went natural in the beginning were these types of holistic naturals (as are many on Nappturality). Hence there are lots of loced and fro'ed women who also shop at Whole Foods, wear earth tones, and use natural products. And on the flip side, black women who shop at Whole Foods and the like tend to be naturals (and for that matter, white women who shop there tend to be more hippy-ish).

A lot of naturals are part of this "embrace/accept yourself" lifestyle, though there are others who do it in order to try to grow long hair (some of which would relax as soon as it got long), some as a style change, and some as part of what they think is a fad. Then there are those who have always been natural and are like, so what? I'm just saying all of these "naturals" are different.

Now trying to decide who is a "holistic natural" and who isn't based on judging their lifestyle choices can be problematic to me. (i.e. some might say those who don't recycle aren't true naturals). But in general a lot of naturals would identify that way in some way or another.

Last edited:

blackbarbietea

I feel her on her new video......because where I am natural-hair women do not live naturally....they are fat or obese, smoke or worse and the only thing they take care of is their hair. They are gross fast-food (junk food) loving, never exercise type people. They just spend their money on hair products and whatever other thing that is not meant for someone claiming to be 'all-natural'. Makes no sense but then want to say they are natural. No, you're not natural your hair is just relaxer-free. I see too many obese or smoking relaxer-free women claiming they are natural. No, you are not.

Okay well. I think you're really biased. I won't address that. But this ain't no natural hair religion up in here. wtf.

Neith

Going natural means different things for different people.

When I went natural, it was less about my hair and more about embracing who I was totally and being more "natural" in general. So I also stopped wearing make-up, started using more natural, environmentally-friendly products, etc. Natural IS a lifestyle for me--which is why I don't care as much about what others think about my hair as some naturals do. Its not about hoping to grow long hair, or a cute style. Its really about accepting me and living in balance in some sort of hippyish way.

A lot of naturals do tend to also live a certain lifestyle. Not that its better or anything. You don't HAVE to have the same mindset of course, anyone can simply stop relaxing their hair. But there are different reasons why people go natural.

But I don't agree that being overweight signifies not caring about your body in the same way someone does their natural hair. There are lots of reasons people don't lose weight, sometimes that is their natural body type and they are accepting it and sometimes they want to lose but can't so easily.

Yep, that was my point. The natural hair was probably secondary for me, though very important still. "Natural hair" still goes with that. I was just saying that some of us are holistic naturals and that people go natural for different reasons. Lifestyle has a lot to do with it, IMO, and its not irrational at all, it actually makes perfect sense. We're not different from natural hair, we are a subset of naturals. And I actually think most who went natural in the beginning were these types of holistic naturals (as are many on Nappturality). Hence there are lots of loced and fro'ed women who also shop at Whole Foods, wear earth tones, and use natural products. And on the flip side, black women who shop at Whole Foods and the like tend to be naturals (and for that matter, white women who shop there tend to be more hippy-ish).

A lot of naturals are part of this "embrace/accept yourself" lifestyle, though there are others who do it in order to try to grow long hair (some of which would relax as soon as it got long), some as a style change, and some as part of what they think is a fad. Then there are those who have always been natural and are like, so what? I'm just saying all of these "naturals" are different.

Now trying to decide who is a "holistic natural" and who isn't based on judging their lifestyle choices can be problematic to me. (i.e. some might say those who don't recycle aren't true naturals). But in general a lot of naturals would identify that way in some way or another.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I'm not against the natural way of living.

However, assuming that someone with natural hair is living a certain lifestyle (or should be a certain weight) OR saying that a person doesn't have natural hair because of their lifestyle/weight even though the hair is not chemically altered is irrational to me.

Simply put... having natural hair and living a natural lifestyle are not the same thing.

Last edited:

blackbarbietea

Going natural means different things for different people.

When I went natural, it was less about my hair and more about embracing who I was totally and being more "natural" in general. So I also stopped wearing make-up, started using more natural, environmentally-friendly products, etc. Natural IS a lifestyle for me--which is why I don't care as much about what others think about my hair as some naturals do. Its not about hoping to grow long hair, or a cute style. Its really about accepting me and living in balance in some sort of hippyish way.

A lot of naturals do tend to also live a certain lifestyle. Not that its better or anything. You don't HAVE to have the same mindset of course, anyone can simply stop relaxing their hair. But there are different reasons why people go natural.

But I don't agree that being overweight signifies not caring about your body in the same way someone does their natural hair. There are lots of reasons people don't lose weight, sometimes that is their natural body type and they are accepting it and sometimes they want to lose but can't so easily.
I agree with you 110%. Just because someones overweight doesn't mean they aren't natural. Just because I'm not digging beans out of the earth and picking berries off a bush with a homemade basket doesn't mean I'm not natural. It's your own personal frame of mind and ambitions...etc. I'm not natural because I have a relaxer, but I'm just making my point. If being natural meant I had to give up my make up and live in a tent ol tea would be goin to the salon like clockwork.

blackbarbietea

:lachen: I just watched part 2...omg.. real talk... what cha madddddd for?!?!?!? I dont understand why people are mad at this woman for being 100% ... she's being real... I take it back she dont even sound ignorant.. she's just being her... She reminds me of myself when I start going off on a rant about something.. I dont get it..lol
Yea I liked part 2 more than part 1. Part 1 confused me major time and just kinda bothered me cos I didn't understand what point she was trying to make. But as someone who use to think that way and decided to take SOME of the advice the 3c girls were giving, I've seen the benefits of it. I mean, you have to do what's good with your hair. But the essentional principle of the advice these "curly headed" girls are giving did help me alot when I customized it for my own personal hair.

blackbarbietea

Lol @ natural hair religion!

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk
I didn't mean to sound rude but that threw me off for a bit like that lady's part 1 video.
I know there are holistic naturals, but there are people with NATURAL HAIR.

When I did grow my relaxer out, I said natural hair, not "i went natural" I think that's a big difference.

But even within that I know holistic natural overweight females.

CrissieD

LMFAO... I swear to god I had no idea people talked liked this is real life.LOL. I don't curr... Long @ss hurr LMAO

nikolite

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I'm not against the natural way of living.

However, assuming that someone with natural hair is living a certain lifestyle (or should be a certain weight) OR saying that a person doesn't have natural hair because of their lifestyle/weight even though the hair is not chemically altered is irrational to me.

Simply put... having natural hair and living a natural lifestyle are not the same thing.

Maybe I did. I (I think incorrectly) interpreted you as saying being natural as part of a lifestyle was irrational or that naturals simply are relaxer-free, like there is no thought-process or motivation behind why we do it. Especially since the majority of us receive a lot of hate and backlash for doing so. Usually there are motivations to go against the norm like that, and not everyone can do it. I can't see how going natural isn't connected to embracing oneself (for most of us), since that's essentially what all naturals are doing. But I know some go natural expecting loose spirals and even if they didn't, I understand that that doesn't necessarily mean someone is also going to start buying organic teas. Embracing oneself also doesn't mean natural lifestyle, but one normally leads into the other IMO, its just that people define their lifestyle and their reasons in different ways. So yeah, a person can drive an SUV and still have natural hair and still think they are "natural" to themselves.

I think I understand you now and I agree that natural hair doesn't equal a natural lifestyle (however that's defined), but for some of us it does.

Last edited:

kittykhat

I just watched the rest and I laughed throughout the whole thing. I thought it was funny and true for the most part. MOST of the natural videos and naturals I see do NOT HAVE LONG 4B HAIR! The majority of videos and pics I see floating around are 3s and 4As and YES that is very discouraging when you can't identify with those women. There are a few I can name off the top of my head (Sera, Mwedzi, Nonie, Mook....those are all the naturals I know and maybe a couple more....Sylver and Traycee....who are relaxed). So maybe instead of criticizing her speech and her weave, you can send her some videos of Mwedzi and Sera so that she knows 4b hair can grow out and long.

Agreed!!!!!!!

lucky8502

I personally think it's unfair to expect a person who has "natural" hair to change their lifestyle. IMHO the only thing natural hair is is allowing your hair to do what it does. It's just the way your hair grows without chemicals. I don't want to pull the race card but other races aren't expected to be holistic just because they don't chemically alter their hair. Hair should not define us nor change our personalities or lifestyles. At the end of the day it's just hair :ohwell:. But I did like her first video:lol:

Last edited:

Britt

I have been a member of this board for years and have been "enlightened" :lol:.... but I.completely.agree.with.her.

Genetics attribute to a lot. From hair, to body, to skin, shape.... I've read a lot of posts on this board where people don't want to realize that genetics have a lot to do w/ things. Prime example, folks who think if they follow Gabby Union's skin regimen to a tee they'll have skin like her :rofl:. Also, not every hair product will produce the same results on every hair type. I remember I naively once tried to treat my gf's hair edges like I did my own, and she and her hair laughed at what I put on her edges. Just like I have cousins who have several kids and don't watch what they eat or ever workout and they are both still very skinny.

Junebug D

Lol, she is amusing. :lol: I agree with her, it is easier for some people. :look: There's a lot of truth in what she's saying. I've been pointing the same thing out for a while now, all the long 4b examples you hear about are the same handful of folks who had long hair already in 2002-- people with incredibly thick, dense hair. :look:

Britt

Just watched part 2....
I.feel.her......

I don't care about her profanity, or not being politically correct, what she said has a lot of truth in it. She hit the nail on the head about a lot. From the way folks snub up their noses, the ones who joined the natural bandwagon b/c it's 'in', this woman has been natural before it was popular. And yes there are 4b's w/ long thick hair, but it is not a majority, IDK why this is some hard to say or admit. There aren't too many Mwedzi's and Dysylla's out there. And even then, for them I think genetics plays a key role also.

Just watched part 2....
I.feel.her......

I don't care about her profanity, or not being politically correct, what she said has a lot of truth in it. She hit the nail on the head about a lot. From the way folks snub up their noses, the ones who joined the natural bandwagon b/c it's 'in', this woman has been natural before it was popular. And yes there are 4b's w/ long thick hair, but it is not a majority, IDK why this is some hard to say or admit. There aren't too many Mwedzi's and Dysylla's out there. And even then, for them I think genetics plays a key role also.

i can tell you why there arent a lot of long haired 4z naturals: b/c at a certain point its easier to cut it back to APL. I know that when I was natural I noticed A LOT of naturals keeping their hair cut to that length and when I got there I cut mine back to that length too.

nikolite

I personally think it's unfair to expect a person who has "natural" hair to change their lifestyle. IMHO the only thing natural hair is is allowing your hair to do what it does. It's just the way your hair grows without chemicals. I don't want to pull the race card but other races aren't expected to be holistic just because they don't chemically alter their hair. Hair should not define us nor change our personalities or lifestyles. At the end of the day it's just hair :ohwell:. But I did like her first video:lol:

To the bolded: I think the way other races wear their hair is incomparable. They don't think about their hair in that way so its not the same, they are born wearing their hair natural and don't have to actually "go natural." We don't expect them to be holistic because doing what white people do regularly (waking up, washing hair, blow drying without having to think about whether or not they NEED other alternatives) is not anything special.

Now if a white woman stopped shaving her legs/armpits most people would think she was a holistic hippy or something. It wouldn't be simply "unshaved legs"--there'd likely be a reason for it that fits into her overall lifestyle choices, whether that be feminism, a desire for natural skin health, etc.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Maybe I did. I (I think incorrectly) interpreted you as saying being natural as part of a lifestyle was irrational or that naturals simply are relaxer-free, like there is no thought-process or motivation behind why we do it. Especially since the majority of us receive a lot of hate and backlash for doing so. Usually there are motivations to go against the norm like that, and not everyone can do it. I can't see how going natural isn't connected to embracing oneself (for most of us), since that's essentially what all naturals are doing. But I know some go natural expecting loose spirals and even if they didn't, I understand that that doesn't necessarily mean someone is also going to start buying organic teas. Embracing oneself also doesn't mean natural lifestyle, but one normally leads into the other IMO, its just that people define their lifestyle and their reasons in different ways. So yeah, a person can drive an SUV and still have natural hair and still think they are "natural" to themselves.

I think I understand you now and I agree that natural hair doesn't equal a natural lifestyle (however that's defined), but for some of us it does.

Why can't naturals just be relaxer free without any other motive? That's why I originally went natural, just to see what my hair looked like. I still used a lot of chemicals at first, just not a relaxer. Now, later on I started to pursue a more natural way of living for my child's benefit more than my own but it wasn't really related to my hair.

I think I just hate to put all naturals into the same box. Some of us are hippyish and some of us are chic. I hate it when people think they "can't" go natural because they have to use berries and shea butter and stop shaving their armpits. You can still have NATURAL HAIR and live your life the way you did before.

I said this in another thread, but the term "natural hair" is recognized in the AA community as being without a relaxer. People can turn it into whatever they want, but it is what it is.

nikolite

Why can't naturals just be relaxer free without any other motive? That's why I originally went natural, just to see what my hair looked like. I still used a lot of chemicals at first, just not a relaxer. Now, later on I started to pursue a more natural way of living for my child's benefit more than my own but it wasn't really related to my hair.

I think I just hate to put all naturals into the same box. Some of us are hippyish and some of us are chic. I hate it when people think they "can't" go natural because they have to use berries and shea butter and stop shaving their armpits. You can still have NATURAL HAIR and live your life the way you did before.

I said this in another thread, but the term "natural hair" is recognized in the AA community as being without a relaxer. People can turn it into whatever they want, but it is what it is.

I'm not saying you can't, I'm saying most naturals did have a thought-process behind it. If going natural was as simple for most people as you make it sound then there wouldn't be so much heated natural vs. relaxer debate and so many more women would be natural. I don't know why we're pretending like there is no good hair/bad hair issues in the black community, like going natural isn't a challenge or a liberating experience for many, like its similar to a decision to wearing blue socks or not one day. In the black community natural hair is a big deal: people are ridiculed for it, questioned, admired, wondering if they can get a job with it, etc. for a reason.

You're taking it to the extreme by saying you can't go natural unless you use berries and or stop shaving--I haven't heard that from ANY naturals. Only a few make those kind of statements and most don't believe that.

And my posts have stated repeatedly that all naturals are different and go natural for different reasons, so I haven't in any way tried to put them all in one box. I include those who do it just to do it cause they saw someone else. But the majority go natural for a reason. If you woke one morning and just wanted a style change and never think about what how you wear your hair means then that's your prerogative. I'm not saying you have to also eat berries. But many naturals do decide to eat berries when they go natural. Natural hair does mean a lot more for some of us. Just because you aren't thinking that deep doesn't mean you have to try to minimize the feelings and experiences of those who do.

Oh and I think you can be both hippyish and chic at the same time.

^^^^^EVERYONE goes natural for a reason. The problem is when people want to put all naturals into a box: either its the Im trying to make a political statement box or the Im going hippie/tree hugging/all naturalists box.

nikolite

^^^^^EVERYONE goes natural for a reason. The problem is when people want to put all naturals into a box: either its the Im trying to make a political statement box or the Im going hippie/tree hugging/all naturalists box.

Okay. Agreed.

But there's also the "natural hair is just natural hair/no deeper meaning" box.