Thinking about going natural but...

teysmith

I love straight hair!! Does this make sense? I want to go natural because I believe that my hair would be healthier, longer and thicker...definately thicker! But I know that majority of the time I would want it to be straight.

Also I havent had a relaxer in about 4 months maybe, give or take and I have a lot of new growth. I cut a lot of the relaxed hair off so I have more natural than relaxed and its sooo hard to deal with!! I really would like to go natural but if Its going to take a lot of time and patience...well, I dont have that!
Today I spent about 2 hours just to detangle, oil my scaps and moisturize! And I have NL hair.
Jeese! how do u natural ladies do it?
Any good products that would make it a lot easier for me?

chebaby

when i was realxed i loved big hair and always wanted to be natural but didnt know how to go about it. but with my relaxed hair you couldnt tell me bone straight wasnt the bizness lol. its normal to have different feelings about what you love and what you like.

ummmm and if you arent willing to be patient then dont go natural lol.

teysmith

when i was realxed i loved big hair and always wanted to be natural but didnt know how to go about it. but with my relaxed hair you couldnt tell me bone straight wasnt the bizness lol. its normal to have different feelings about what you love and what you like.

ummmm and if you arent willing to be patient then dont go natural lol.[/QUOTE

but I want so badly to be natural...I dont know..I will just see how things goes.. I know it will be a while before I relax again, so if things are going well for me then maybe I would stay that way....

laurend

Do you live in a humid climate? Don't go natural unless you are willing to wear kinky, shrunken styles when the weather is hot and humid. You probably won't be able to keep it silky straight in the summer, just something to think about.

SEMO

I'm sure I'm biased but, I say: why not go natural? You want to, so I say you should do it! If you don't like being natural then you can always re-relax (or just flat iron). But at least you tried it out and know for sure.

I personally find my natural hair to be a lot less trouble than my relaxed hair. But I also attribute a lot of that to becoming an "expert" on my hair. When I was relaxed I trusted other people more with my hair. Now I trust myself more. ;)

Taleah2009

I am transitioning and I wore my hair straight for about 50% of the phase. When I am completely natural, I plan to where my hair straight in the winter months and curly in the summer months. My hair reverts sooo bad, so wearing it straight in the summer is a joke.

But anywho. Just be patient. Try transitioning for a few months and see how it and to see if you want to keep going with it.

Songbirdb

There's nothing wrong with being natural and wearing straight styles majority of the time. If's funny you bring this up because all of my co-workers are naturals, but I'm the only one who doesn't straighten. They are straight all the time and their hair is healthy, long, and bouncy. I haven't seen it curly though so it could be pretty heat damaged in its curly state, but to my knowledge, they don't want to wear it curly anyway so they'd be cool with that lol....

As far as products, I just learned from the ladies that moisture is the key. When I transitioned, I had plenty of time to tend to my hair (I transitioned for 14months). So I co-washed everyday or every other day. This isn't really necessary for everyone, it's just something I did. I rocked the curly phony ponies mostly and half wigs. Now, that I'm full natural, I'm in a puff pretty much everyday or a curly fro because I don't know how to style my hair yet, but I'm learning. Good luck on your journey! I think you will enjoy being natural

Taina

I always loved curly hair, ALWAYS. So maybe that's not been hard for me the transition. But OP, think about what you really like, you just have 4 mos post relaxer, guessing your hair is a little bit longer than mine( i have 3 month pos BC) and you can not deal with it? Think that is hard to have 2 differents textures, and now you do, maybe that's why is giving you a hard time to deal with it.

natalie20121

I've been transitioning for almost 6 months and I can say that co-washing was a life saver. When I started doing that, detangling was a breeze. Moisture is the key! And just to let you know, majority of my friends and family are natural and they all wear their hair straight even in the summer and I live in ATL! I will also keep my hair straight. I just love straight hair. But I will never relax again. In the summer I plan on just blowdrying and doing dry twist outs.

Try co-washing and deep conditions and see if that helps. Good Luck on your journey

BostonMaria

teysmith, what makes you think you can't have the best of both worlds?

When I rollerset my hair and flatiron it everybody assumes I went out and put a relaxer in my hair

This is my flatironed hair
http://hotimg25.fotki.com/a/146_115/125_25/Front.jpg

If you didn't know me you'd probably assume I had a relaxer. Of course once you throw water on me that would be the end of that straight hair LOL

Last edited:

laurend

I've been transitioning for almost 6 months and I can say that co-washing was a life saver. When I started doing that, detangling was a breeze. Moisture is the key! And just to let you know, majority of my friends and family are natural and they all wear their hair straight even in the summer and I live in ATL! I will also keep my hair straight. I just love straight hair. But I will never relax again. In the summer I plan on just blowdrying and doing dry twist outs.

Try co-washing and deep conditions and see if that helps. Good Luck on your journey

I'm curious, are your family and friends active? I think a very active lifestyle and a humid climate won't allow you to keep a straight style(summer months) unless you become a slave to your hair. Maybe the OP won't have an issue with this.

laurend

I love straight hair!! Does this make sense? I want to go natural because I believe that my hair would be healthier, longer and thicker...definately thicker! But I know that majority of the time I would want it to be straight.

Also I havent had a relaxer in about 4 months maybe, give or take and I have a lot of new growth. I cut a lot of the relaxed hair off so I have more natural than relaxed and its sooo hard to deal with!! I really would like to go natural but if Its going to take a lot of time and patience...well, I dont have that!
Today I spent about 2 hours just to detangle, oil my scaps and moisturize! And I have NL hair.
Jeese! how do u natural ladies do it?
Any good products that would make it a lot easier for me?

You have to take your time detangling or you won't achieve much length. However, if you want to be natural go for it but it requires patience.

BrooklynSouth

Natural hair is wonderful. Co-washing and deep conditioning, oil prepoos will help. Good leave-ins also help a lot. I've been natural since June 2009. I rarely use a comb and keep my hair in twists most times. I tried a fro-hawk for a few days but found it really is not me. I have not blown or flat ironed my hair for fear of losing my natural texture, kinks and curls. Natural hair can be tricky at times as one passes through different lengths and peculiar happenings but I love my natural hair..tricks and all. Natural hair requires acceptance and the ability to deal with what happens along the way. So many naturals on the forum straighten with marvelous results...look them up and follow what they do. Pinkskates comes to mind but there are several others who I cannot immediately recall who are healthy haired naturals to emulate:yep:.

teysmith

I always loved curly hair, ALWAYS. So maybe that's not been hard for me the transition. But OP, think about what you really like, you just have 4 mos post relaxer, guessing your hair is a little bit longer than mine( i have 3 month pos BC) and you can not deal with it? Think that is hard to have 2 differents textures, and now you do, maybe that's why is giving you a hard time to deal with it.

Yes it definately may be the two different textures... thanks!

teysmith

teysmith, what makes you think you can't have the best of both worlds?

When I rollerset my hair and flatiron it everybody assumes I went out and put a relaxer in my hair

This is my flatironed hair
http://hotimg25.fotki.com/a/146_115/125_25/Front.jpg

If you didn't know me you'd probably assume I had a relaxer. Of course once you throw water on me that would be the end of that straight hair LOL

Thanks! Your hair looked great! I love the thickness!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

I think that This method of washing will help you significantly cut down the detangling time.

I think that being a 'straight' natural is doable but you really have to be on your toes with making sure that your protein/moisture regimen counteracts the amount of heat you'll have to use to maintain the style.

As far as patience is concerned, you'll either learn to be patient or you won't. Whatever you choose is going to show on your hair.

natalie20121

I'm curious, are your family and friends active? I think a very active lifestyle and a humid climate won't allow you to keep a straight style(summer months) unless you become a slave to your hair. Maybe the OP won't have an issue with this.

Some are and some arent. Still no problems with hair. Some how they make it work. Everyones different and does what's best for their particular situation.