I'm thinking about going natural

mscocoface

Have any of you gone natural by way of keeping the newgrowth presses and just regularly trimming until all the relaxed ends were gone? I was thinking about going natural. You ladies inspire me and I'd love to know what my hair texture is like. I can always go back to relaxed if I want to. I have a lumpy head so a twa is NOT an option. weaves and braids break me out so they are not an option either.

I did half and half. Half my hair was out so it was pressed and then in the back and sides I had weave hair. Did this for years.

I believe Allandra and a few other ladies have done it the way you want to do it. So in my best coaching voice....There's nothing to it but to do it!!!

You can always go back to the relaxer if you find it does not work for you.

Welcome to the natural side transitioning newbie! :yep:

Soliel185

I wouldn't advise regular back to back presses as a way of transitioning just b/c it's ups the liklihood that you'll eventually end up with heat damage - depending on how long you plan to transition.

Also, you'd have to be prepared with the constant frustration of battling puffy roots and whatever else.

I preferred using protective styles like braids, cornrows and weaves b/c those were also low-maintanance and allowed me to maximize my growth retention.

jetbeauty09

Thanks for this great thread.

I am sooooooooo tempted. But so scraed as I have been relaxed for almost 16years.

But I have NEVER had healthy relaxed hair nor retained length... Now it is a lot better - since finding LHCF... but still got a long way to go

I really think maybe I should give this a shot?? Confused

We're here for ya! You can do it! :lots:

Anew

I wouldn't advise regular back to back presses as a way of transitioning just b/c it's ups the liklihood that you'll eventually end up with heat damage - depending on how long you plan to transition.

Also, you'd have to be prepared with the constant frustration of battling puffy roots and whatever else.

I preferred using protective styles like braids, cornrows and weaves b/c those were also low-maintanance and allowed me to maximize my growth retention.
How did you do your hair the first 9 months of your transition?

Soliel185

How did you do your hair the first 9 months of your transition?

I was already an experienced "bunner" when I started so that was a go to style.

I started experimenting with extentions, and I wore cornrows most of the summer, followed by box braids in the winter. Late winter/early spring I wore a full weave with a perimeter and a bit of the crown out to blend.

I experimented with a few things inbetween like braid outs and curlformers before I chopped. You can see pics in my fotki. :yep:

mstar

Luxury bacon
You're not bothering me at all...I :love: talkin about this stuff! lol The best flat iron I've used ironically was the good ole con air ceramic one you can get from the pharmacy for like $50 I think, its black, one inch thick (i like to do waves and curls on my ends) and it was wonderful that was ole trusy right there....my hair was in its best condition with that iron word up.

I wanna try the maxi-glide though....but I've heard good things about sedu, and FHI as well.

As long as its 100% ceramic plates (make sure it doesn't say ceramic coated) and has high to low heat settings that you can vary...you're good:yep:
Wow, a Conair...really? What heat protectant do you use, and what temperature do you use to flat iron? I need to take notes from you...

aa9746

Have any of you gone natural by way of keeping the newgrowth presses and just regularly trimming until all the relaxed ends were gone? I was thinking about going natural. You ladies inspire me and I'd love to know what my hair texture is like. I can always go back to relaxed if I want to. I have a lumpy head so a twa is NOT an option. weaves and braids break me out so they are not an option either.

That's how I went natural.

BlackMasterPiece

Wow, a Conair...really? What heat protectant do you use, and what temperature do you use to flat iron? I need to take notes from you...
I used IC aloe leave in for dry damaged hair dilluted in a spray bottle before I blow-dried as my heat protectant, I used the flat iron on the highest setting but when I got to the front like my bangs I brought it down to the second highest setting.Its a great iron:yep:

HeChangedMyName

That's how I went natural.

Really? How long did it take you? did you trim along the way or save up the relaxed hair and do a BC? details please :look:

Thanks for all the responses and additional questions that I hadn't thought of yet. Right now I am due for a relaxer soon but imma hold off while i research. We'll see. I think my last relaxer was 7/24/09

TheCoilWhisperer

This thread came right on time. I'm thinking about going natural as well. Of course I'm scared so I'm doing heavy research before I do. I've been going back and forth with the idea of transitioning with the flat iron method bc I don't what heat damage and have to cut that off too.

bludaydreamr

I started my transition by flatironing and cutting for the first six months. The last year I did braids and buns. My sister transitioned by keeping her hair in sew-ins.

LovinLea

i got a DB about 6 months into my transition, and when i wet my hair, the natural roots didn't really curl back up as much. that's the last time i've heat straightened my entire head. i'm too worried about messing up the natural texture with heat damage.

naturalmanenyc

My last relaxer (texlax) was 12/30/07 & I decided to go natural in March 2008. I did lots of rollersets, flat ironing, braid outs and then eventually full & half wigs. My relaxed hair broke off and I got a trim (a few inches) on 11/22/08 & another trim on 4/23/09.

I still have a bit of relaxed ends that I will probably have cut off by 12/30/09.

It's all documented - http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/

morehairplease

This thread came right on time. I'm thinking about going natural as well. Of course I'm scared so I'm doing heavy research before I do. I've been going back and forth with the idea of transitioning with the flat iron method bc I don't what heat damage and have to cut that off too.
Hi there,
Do you mind me asking what type of braids you have in your siggy pic? I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis and finding a regimen can be difficult. I have yet to find staple products but plan on getting braids installed next month and transitioning back to my natural hair(when my hair was natuaral I didn't suffer from seborrheic dermatitis but as soon as I went back to relaxing it came back:wallbash::wallbash:).

HeChangedMyName

i got a DB about 6 months into my transition, and when i wet my hair, the natural roots didn't really curl back up as much. that's the last time i've heat straightened my entire head. i'm too worried about messing up the natural texture with heat damage.

what's DB? I am worried about that too, but my hair breaks so badly if I even try to stretch very long. I'm worried about my hair looking jacked up while transitioning.

My last relaxer (texlax) was 12/30/07 & I decided to go natural in March 2008. I did lots of rollersets, flat ironing, braid outs and then eventually full & half wigs. My relaxed hair broke off and I got a trim (a few inches) on 11/22/08 & another trim on 4/23/09.

I still have a bit of relaxed ends that I will probably have cut off by 12/30/09.

It's all documented - http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/

thanks. so what is you length as of now. I'm stalking your fotki now.