I'm thinking about going natural

HeChangedMyName

Have any of you gone natural by way of keeping the newgrowth presses and just regularly trimming until all the relaxed ends were gone? I was thinking about going natural. You ladies inspire me and I'd love to know what my hair texture is like. I can always go back to relaxed if I want to. I have a lumpy head so a twa is NOT an option. weaves and braids break me out so they are not an option either.

beans4reezy

I haven't but just off the top of my head, I recall Mdwezi saying that's how she transitioned...on a trip to Africa one year. She didn't relax her hair, she just kept pressing the new growth. I believe by the time she left Africa, the relaxer was gone. I would PM her for more on her reggie during that time.

BlackMasterPiece

Thats great you'll love the versatility. Yep, I went natural via pressing my new growth and flat ironing my hair every single wash worked out great for me!!:yep: I didn't even trim i just let the relaxed ends fall away in their own time.

Senegalese twists also really helped with my transition :)

As long as you have the kind of strands that can handle that much heat you should be fine.

HeChangedMyName

Thats great you'll love the versatility. Yep, I went natural via pressing my new growth and flat ironing my hair every single wash worked out great for me!!:yep: I didn't even trim i just let the relaxed ends fall away in their own time.

As long as you have the kind of strands that can handle that much heat you should be fine.

How long did it take for you to fully transition?

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
thats what i plan to do. i won't be trimming until i get to APL. then i will do trims/mini chops to maintain that length. i wear my hair flatironed too. i won't go back to doing twist outs and braids outs until i learn how to be patient and detangle and get rid of all shed hairs.

HeChangedMyName

thats what i plan to do. i won't be trimming until i get to APL. then i will do trims/mini chops to maintain that length. i wear my hair flatironed too. i won't go back to doing twist outs and braids outs until i learn how to be patient and detangle and get rid of all shed hairs.

have you started the process yet? what is your hair length now? maybe if i have a buddy, i. . .i. . .i wont be so scurred to do it. :look:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
yep. i am 7 months post, and my hair is shoulder length. don't be scared lol. check out the transitioners thread.

GreenD

I started transitioning my hair like that (with pressing and cutting) but I got impatient and couldn't take the two textures. I even had senegalese twists, but when I took them out, I cut the perm out shortly after. I HATED the perm and I wanted it out my hair with the quickness, so I chopped after about 9 months. :yep: And I don't regret it one bit!! I love my hair and couldn't wait to get my fingers in it.:lick:

BlackMasterPiece

How long did it take for you to fully transition?
It was probably two years untill I was completely natural but I like my hair longer then APL so I was fully satisfied when I was like between APL and MBL straightened and fully natural & coily.

You're gonna LOVE the thickness and variety:yep:

You're gonna have it good though because you'll have this community for support during your transition so you'll do great. I had to learn everything on my own but I was determined.

HeChangedMyName

I started transitioning my hair like that (with pressing and cutting) but I got impatient and couldn't take the two textures. I even had senegalese twists, but when I took them out, I cut the perm out shortly after. I HATED the perm and I wanted it out my hair with the quickness, so I chopped after about 9 months. :yep: And I don't regret it one bit!! I love my hair and couldn't wait to get my fingers in it.:lick:

Congratulations. I see you have been aunatural for almost 6 months. How much growth have you realized?

MummysGirl

Allandra is a good example of someone transitioning the way you've described... PM her. Also check out the Transitioner threads, which are all listed in the first post here (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=396728).

I don't know about the other transitioners but with people bc'ing left and right on here it's hard to keep on this road. Granted I'm just 2 months post but every time I see a bc thread I want to be natural like yesterday. So I thought a challenge would help me.

Starts:
September 1, 2009

Ends:
Ongoing

Rules:
None

Suggestions for this challenge:
1. Set a goal or several goals. Whatever works for you.
2. Report it here
3. Keep us updated

Some helpful threads:

Transitioners Support Thread
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=56005&highlight=transitioners

New *2009* Transitioners Support Thread!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=312457

Why Natural?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=385782

Inspired by Sylver2--The Long Term Stretch Challenge
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=356989

All 8+ Week Stretchers....
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=396048&highlight=transitioning

Curlmeleons Unite
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=390252&highlight=transitioning

New *Long Term Transitioners Club
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=345549&highlight=transitioners

Naturals & Transitioners--Which Denman Brush Do You Use?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=384304&highlight=transitioners

Transitioners Support Group:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=263661&highlight=transitioners

Naturals & Transitioners: how often do you use heavy protein?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=93044&highlight=transitioners

Relaxer Stretching Support Thread
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=118195

Best Pics of Natural Hair/Heads (Includes Our Members): A Thread of Encouragement
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=168146

anon123

I haven't but just off the top of my head, I recall Mdwezi saying that's how she transitioned...on a trip to Africa one year. She didn't relax her hair, she just kept pressing the new growth. I believe by the time she left Africa, the relaxer was gone. I would PM her for more on her reggie during that time.

Yep :yep: I don't know if I can give any tips, though, because it was so long ago and I wasn't really into hair care then, so I didn't pay attention. Also, it was not unusual for me to "stretch" relaxers (didn't know the concept back then) by just pressing rather than getting a touch up.

Let's see. I barely have a real regimen now. Really not sure I had one back then. I always pressed with a pressing comb. I would press the new growth myself in between getting it professionally done (i.e. done by my aunt in her kitchen :look: she was licensed!). When someone else did it, they usually pressed the whole length of my hair :blush:, but that wasn't more than once every couple months or so. When I did it myself, I'd wash, blow dry the length, and press the roots. I might do a really quick pass over the length with a warm comb. I washed every couple of weeks.

I don't know when I got my last relaxer, some time in the year '95 I guess?? But for whatever reason I just pressed more and more, got braids, got cornrows, and eventually was natural. I only got a couple of trims; probably the relaxed hair all broke off. But by mid-96, I was all natural.

pmichael52172

I'm transitioning this way too. My regime is no different from what's mentioned here - except I'm not wearing braids or wigs. She presses what's natural, uses the marcel irons to give me spirals and they last for two weeks which is when I go back for another wash.

I'm going on 10 months now and she trims the relaxed ends every three months. My progress is going so well, I may be fully done few months short of my two year goal. :woot:

HeChangedMyName

I'm transitioning this way too. My regime is no different from what's mentioned here - except I'm not wearing braids or wigs. She presses what's natural, uses the marcel irons to give me spirals and they last for two weeks which is when I go back for another wash.

I'm going on 10 months now and she trims the relaxed ends every three months. My progress is going so well, I may be fully done few months short of my two year goal. :woot:

that is great. so it's been two years of transitioning for you? What is your length like? How much was being trimmed each time? sorry for all the questions but if imma do this, I want to be sure of what I'm getting myself into.

mrsjohnson75

Just wanted to say :nicethread:.

I've been thinking about transitioning for a looong time. I don't wear braids, wigs, or weaves either so I'll be reading the replies you get from posting this.

Anew

How long was your natural hair stretched before cutting the relaxed ends off

Last edited:

angenoir

Thanks for this great thread.

I am sooooooooo tempted. But so scared as I have been relaxed for almost 16years.

But I have NEVER had healthy relaxed hair nor retained length... Now it is a lot better - since finding LHCF... but still got a long way to go

I really think maybe I should give this a shot?? Confused

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

Thanks for this great thread.

I am sooooooooo tempted. But so scraed as I have been relaxed for almost 16years.

But I have NEVER had healthy relaxed hair nor retained length... Now it is a lot better - since finding LHCF... but still got a long way to go

I really think maybe I should give this a shot?? Confused

I got you beat. I've been relaxed for 20 years and just within the past three or four years have experienced what healthy relaxed hair is like. I love it. It's growing and retaining length finally. I am maybe an inch or 2 from APL so a BC would hurt my feeling soooooooooooooooooooooo much, plus, i got a lumpy head.

BlackMasterPiece

How long was your natural hair stretched before cutting the relaxed ends off
I never cut my hair period, I just washed conditioned, pressed the roots and flat ironed with a ceramic iron the length every week or two and kept that up for like 4 years, this year I decided to give it more breaks and do more air-dry styles. I stopped believing the hype about having to trim to grow hair and by the time I was at the length I was comfortable with (between APL and MBL) I was fully natural, with nice ends I wasn't closely documenting it because I wasn't on the boards at that time but yea....

Another great style for blending two totally different textures is a braid-out...even on my super kinky super dense hair a braid out done the right way comes out soooo lovely:infatuated: my roots are nicely stretched and smooth with this method:yep:

GreenD

Congratulations. I see you have been aunatural for almost 6 months. How much growth have you realized?

Thanks!! When I chopped my longest hairs were 3 inches. And I average 1/2 inch each month, so those longest parts are now 5 inches and creeping towards 5 1/2 inches. My hair on the sides are just past my chin and the back/nape is at the base of my neck, just begining to sweep my shoulders. So far so good!!

morehairplease

This is what I plan on doing with my hair. My plan is to get braids installed every three months and on take down day flatiron and trim my hair until I am completely natural.

GreenD

I never cut my hair period, I just washed conditioned, pressed the roots and flat ironed with a ceramic iron the length every week or two and kept that up for like 4 years, this year I decided to give it more breaks and do more air-dry styles. I stopped believing the hype about having to trim to grow hair and by the time I was at the length I was comfortable with (between APL and MBL) I was fully natural, with nice ends I wasn't closely documenting it because I wasn't on the boards at that time but yea....

Another great style for blending two totally different textures is a braid-out...even on my super kinky super dense hair a braid out done the right way comes out soooo lovely:infatuated: my roots are nicely stretched and smooth with this method:yep:

I agree so much with the bolded text!! I've been debating what I should do on my nappiversary in March when I straighten my hair. I think I may dust my ends, if that. I just want to see how long I can grow my hair by not trimming the ends at all. I came across a woman's website (I can't find it to save my life right now) that was natural and she hadn't trimmed her hair in 10 years, and her hair was to her butt!! From the looks of her hair styles on her website I think she just did wash and go's and wore it in buns. So I figured with what I saw and with what you've said, I'll be the case study to see what happens to natural 3c/4a that isn't trimmed.

Last edited:

Anew

Thanks. I hope I'm not bothering you too much, lol.. but what kind of flat iron do you use? I wanna get twists but in between the twists and braid outs I wanna straighten my hair from time to time.

Anew

I've worked so hard this past year at getting the little length I have, I really don't wanna chop it all off. If I could get the same results going the route BMP did doing the same thing that would work out great. Don't know, I'll see how everything goes.

Last edited:

Mook's hair

I Used that method in the beginning and then switched to braidouts and braids.

Trimming as it grows. I did it for 2 years and then I was ready to cut off the little bit that was left.

PM me anytime if you decide to do this.

BlackMasterPiece

Thanks. I hope I'm not bothering you too much, lol.. but what kind of flat iron do you use? I wanna get twists but in between the twists and braid outs I wanna straighten my hair from time to time.
You're not bothering me at all...I :love: talkin about this stuff! lol The best flat iron I've used ironically was the good ole con air ceramic one you can get from the pharmacy for like $50 I think, its black, one inch thick (i like to do waves and curls on my ends) and it was wonderful that was ole trusy right there....my hair was in its best condition with that iron word up.

I wanna try the maxi-glide though....but I've heard good things about sedu, and FHI as well.

As long as its 100% ceramic plates (make sure it doesn't say ceramic coated) and has high to low heat settings that you can vary...you're good:yep:

Anew

Mook, which method did you use in the beginning?

ETA, just looked at the thread title, lol..

whew too many message boards at one time has a girl going crazy today

Last edited:

pmichael52172

that is great. so it's been two years of transitioning for you? What is your length like? How much was being trimmed each time? sorry for all the questions but if imma do this, I want to be sure of what I'm getting myself into.

No, it will be 10 months this Saturday. When my stylist and I decided to go for it, she estimated with random snips, it would take me about two years. She only trimmed as needed and so far it's always been every 3 months. I asked her how much she was trimming 'cause I wanted her to cut more (so ready to get it overwith) and she said she really wasn't measuring... just eyeing it.

See, I started transitioning when my hair was short (like an inverted bob with long sides). My nape area is already 100% natural and reaches right where a common necklace would rest on the back of your neck. The rest is half and half so she's trying to keep it in a "styling shape". For this reason, she trims differently in different places. My natural area is growing really fast! I'm also glad she didn't do a mini cut like I begged because she knew I'd freak out with an :afro:

I stopped measuring the growth because it's different lengths all over. My sides grow slower than my front and back... at least for now. I don't know how much I get per month but I don't think it's 1/2 inch.

Ask away! It's good to make SURE you're sure! :yep: