They changed the ingredients of AO: HSR conditioner

virtuenow

Side by side comparison, I bolded all the matching ingredients:

Old Ingredients:
UK/EU - aqua, butyrospernum parkii, cetyl alcohol, aloe barbadensis, glyceryl linoleate, glyceryl linolenate, glycerin, triticum vulgare oil (wheat germ oil), hamamelis virginiana, simmondsia chinesis*, rosa moschata oil*, foeniculum vulgare, humulus lupulus extract, melissa officinalis extract, viscum album extract, anthemis nobilis extract (chamomile), achillea millefollium extract, chrysanthenium extract, forsythia suspensa fruit extract, magnolia biondii extract, lonicera japonica oil, tocopherol acetate, retinyl palmitate, daucus carota oil, citrus grandis, retinyl acetate, ascorbic acid.

New Ingredients:
Aqua, cetyl alcohol, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), butyrospermum parkii (shea butter)*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) extract, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, glycerin, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, rosa rubignosa (Rosa Mosqueta®) seed oil*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, tocopheryl acetate, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) fruit extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, melissa officinalis (balm mint) leaf extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene (carotens), hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, angelica archangelica extract, chrysanthemum sinense flower extract, magnolia biondii flower extract, ascorbic acid. *Organic

~~~~~~~~
Note:

The ingredients I couldn't match (yet):

Old Ingredients:

Glyceryl Linoleate: is derived from Glycerin and Linoleic Acid
Glyceryl Linolenate: is a monoester of glycerin and linolenic acid. VITAMIN F - Glyceryl linoleate, glyceryl linolenate. Skin protector and revitalizer consisting of linoleic and linolenic acids, the two essential fatty acids. Used in moisturizers, it soothes rough, dry or chapped skin on contact and helps soften and revitalize dry or damaged hair.

Retinyl Palmitate: Retinyl is the ester of retinol (vitamin A) and it is combined with palmitic acid, which is a saturated fatty acid that is found in humans, animals and plants and is (as the name implies) a major component of palm oil. Although it isn't, strictly speaking, retinol, retinyl palmitate is easily absorbed by the skin and once it is there is converted into retinol. Retinyl palmitate is a synthetic alternate for retinyl acetate in vitamin A supplements, and is available in oily or dry forms

retinyl acetate: A naturally-occurring fatty acid ester form of retinol (vitamin A) with potential antineoplastic and chemopreventive activities.

viscum album extract: mistletoe leaf An anti-irritant, known for its soothing properties on sensitive skin. It is often combined with fennel, hops, camomile, balm mint and yarrow in skin formulations.

achillea millefollium extract: is an extract of the yarrow plant; Extract from the flower heads of this ancient herbal, a known anti-inflammatory and anti-irritantIt also adds sheen to the hair; supplied in polypropylene glycol

forsythia suspensa fruit extract: Forsythia fruits are widely used in Chinese traditional medicine for antipyretic and anti-inflammatory activity in the treatment of bacterial infections and upper respiratory ailments. They are commonly combined with honeysuckle flower ( Lonicera ) and other ingredients

New ingredients:
alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*)

angelica archangelica extract: from the plant Angelica archangelica (A. officinalis), of the Umbelliferae family. It is a sweet herbal smelling oil that has a spicy undertone.

glycine soja (soybean) oil:Good emollient, high in linoleic, oleic, palmitic and linolenic acids, essential fatty acids necessary for healthy skin

Note: The Soybean oil may cancel out the glyceryls and retinyls. If so, then there are only 2 new ingredients(alcohol denat & angelica); and there are only 3 old ingredients that didn't make the cut (yarrow, mistletoe, & forsythia).

Last edited:

JeterCrazed

Old Ingredients:
UK/EU - aqua, butyrospernum parkii, cetyl alcohol, aloe barbadensis, glyceryl linoleate, glyceryl linolenate, glycerin, triticum vulgare oil (wheat germ oil), hamamelis virginiana, simmondsia chinesis*, rosa moschata oil*, foeniculum vulgare, humulus lupulus extract, melissa officinalis extract, viscum album extract, anthemis nobilis extract, achillea millefollium extract, chrysanthenium extract, forsythia suspensa fruit extract, magnolia biondii extract, lonicera japonica oil, tocopherol acetate, retinyl palmitate, daucus carota oil, citrus grandis, retinyl acetate, ascorbic acid.

New Ingredients:
Aqua, cetyl alcohol, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), butyrospermum parkii (shea butter)*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) extract, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, glycerin, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, rosa rubignosa (Rosa Mosqueta®) seed oil*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, tocopheryl acetate, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) fruit extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, melissa officinalis (balm mint) leaf extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, angelica archangelica extract, chrysanthemum sinense flower extract, magnolia biondii flower extract, ascorbic acid. *Organic

~~~~~~~~
Note:
Glyceryl Linoleate is derived from Glycerin and Linoleic Acid

You missed quite a few. Beta carotene is carrot extract.

virtuenow

You missed quite a few. Beta carotene is carrot extract.

Yeah, I'm editing and adding bolds as we speak. I'm checking ingredient by ingredient to be as thorough as possible. This is a l'il mini project & its taking some time. Let me know if I miss something else

MissErikaM

Meh...I think they were just more forthcoming about what that "coconut fatty base" was. Just because that was listed as a top ingredient doesn't mean if you break it down all of its components will be listed in the beginning. They would still follow the greatest amount to least amount listing. I'm running low. I might get some from Whole Foods to see if the perform the same. I'm sure it will. If I recall they were catching flak from the FDA over the way the ingredients were listed.

Anakinsmomma

MsRana said:
this sucks...I literally just ended my search for a great moisturizing dc because I discovered AO HSR...guess its back to the drawing board! :S

Seriously!! I JUST fell in love with it. It's not fair!!!

BEAUTYU2U

I tried HSR and WC conditioners over the weekend. Both made my hair soft and beautiful, but made me itch. I'm glad I didn't fall in love.

virtuenow

Here's the UK's Aubrey Website. Their page and ingredients on AO HSR if you want to see definitions: http://www.aubreyorganicsuk.co.uk/ingredient/50576/157/forsythia-suspensa-fruit-extract/. Here's the US's ingredients page http://www.aubrey-organics.com/custom.aspx?id=60#38blavender

They have different ingredients for GPB altogether, wow:
http://www.aubreyorganicsuk.co.uk/product/9911/gpb-glycogen-protein-conditioner/

OLD Ingredients AUBREY GPB UK/EU:
Aqua, Cetyl Alcohol Denat, Aloe Barbadensis*, Triticum Vulgare, Cysteine, Methionine, Lactalbumin, Rosmarinus Officinalis*, Salvia Officinalis, Equisetum Hymale, Tussilago Farfara, Urtica Dioica, Glycoprotein, Myroxylon Balsamum, Citrus Grandis, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Daucus Carota.

The US website has also changed/updated their ingredients FOR GPB :blush:
: http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo/001A.aspx

New Ingredients US AUBREY GPB:
Aqua, cetyl alcohol, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, milk protein, glycerin, myroxylon pereirae (balsam Peru) oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil*, brassica campestris/aleurites fordi copolymer, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, salvia officinalis (sage) oil*, glycoprotein, tocopheryl acetate, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, equisetum hyemale (horsetail) extract, tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) leaf extract, urtica dioica (nettle) extract, ascorbic acid, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene.

I'm too tired to do a comparison on the GPB, but I know they better not had touched my GPB!

Last edited:

Bajanmum

Meh...I think they were just more forthcoming about what that "coconut fatty base" was. Just because that was listed as a top ingredient doesn't mean if you break it down all of its components will be listed in the beginning. They would still follow the greatest amount to least amount listing. I'm running low. I might get some from Whole Foods to see if the perform the same. I'm sure it will. If I recall they were catching flak from the FDA over the way the ingredients were listed.

MissErikaM MissE has the right idea. Instead of being ready to sabotage the whole lot, why don't you try it and see what happens.

faithVA

Looked at all my AO bottles old and new and they all say Aubrey and not Aubrey Organics. So I guess I have been using the modified version for a while. :ohwell: I didn't look at the AO WC ingredients, meant to but forget. But I am DCing with it now. And as soon as I put it on my unruly hair it just tames it right down. So I still love my AO WC.

I have 3 bottles of the AO GPB but I only use that once a month so I am still good.

virtuenow

Looked at all my AO bottles old and new and they all say Aubrey and not Aubrey Organics. So I guess I have been using the modified version for a while. :ohwell: I didn't look at the AO WC ingredients, meant to but forget. But I am DCing with it now. And as soon as I put it on my unruly hair it just tames it right down. So I still love my AO WC.

I have 3 bottles of the AO GPB but I only use that once a month so I am still good.

As far as I understood it, the name always was Aubreys' (for short) and Aubrey Organics for the full company name. See these quotes from previous threads on this name change topic:

the company is called aubrey organics inc. the name of the products has always just been aubrey's. aubrey's never claimed to be certified organic they just use primarily natural ingredients, their hazard rating via the environmental working group is very low.

Last edited:

Kurlee

well damn i was just getting into it! oh well, i'll just stick with joico moisture recovery treatment balm

FoxxyLocs

Hmmm....AO has been a staple for me for so while now. I just recently discovered WC and GPB though. I've been wanting to try trader joe's so maybe now would be a good time. For protein I had been using eggs, so I'll just stick with that.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Yeah, happy to see that they have finally corrected that part at least. They always got the side eye from me on that one. :rolleyes:

Sprinkl3s

I just bought the last two bottles of HSR with the old ingredients from the vitamin shoppe. PS they were on sale for $7.20. So if you have one close I say go get them.

Anakinsmomma

I just realized that the two bottles I bought were the new formula. I love it, so I guess I'll live :lol:

Still gonna stop by vitamin shoppe to see if I can buy out the old formula :look:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I guess I'll purchase the 'new ingredient' bottle if the revised listing is really the coconut cream base. I can't give up on my HSR so easily.

Lucia

Aww Lawd.... :pray:

ETA: all those ingredients are still natural. It looks like the ingredients in all the other conditioners, which feel nothing like aohsr. Island Naturals is aiight, but not as Moisturizing. Coconut fatty acid cream is the same as cetyl alcohol.

ETA: after a closer look, I say with confidence that the formula is the same. They expanded the ingredients of the cream base.

Thanks I'm glad to hear that it's still natural, I was worried they had made some major changes and i would have to search for some new staple products.

Old Ingredients:
UK/EU - aqua, butyrospernum parkii, cetyl alcohol, aloe barbadensis, glyceryl linoleate, glyceryl linolenate, glycerin, triticum vulgare oil (wheat germ oil), hamamelis virginiana, simmondsia chinesis*, rosa moschata oil*, foeniculum vulgare, humulus lupulus extract, melissa officinalis extract, viscum album extract, anthemis nobilis extract (chamomile), achillea millefollium extract, chrysanthenium extract, forsythia suspensa fruit extract, magnolia biondii extract, lonicera japonica oil, tocopherol acetate, retinyl palmitate, daucus carota oil, citrus grandis, retinyl acetate, ascorbic acid.

New Ingredients:
Aqua, cetyl alcohol, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), butyrospermum parkii (shea butter)*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) extract, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, glycerin, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, rosa rubignosa (Rosa Mosqueta®) seed oil*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, tocopheryl acetate, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) fruit extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, melissa officinalis (balm mint) leaf extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene (carotens), hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, angelica archangelica extract, chrysanthemum sinense flower extract, magnolia biondii flower extract, ascorbic acid. *Organic

~~~~~~~~
Note:

The ingredients I couldn't match (yet):

Old Ingredients:

Glyceryl Linoleate: is derived from Glycerin and Linoleic Acid
Glyceryl Linolenate: is a monoester of glycerin and linolenic acid. VITAMIN F - Glyceryl linoleate, glyceryl linolenate. Skin protector and revitalizer consisting of linoleic and linolenic acids, the two essential fatty acids. Used in moisturizers, it soothes rough, dry or chapped skin on contact and helps soften and revitalize dry or damaged hair.

Retinyl Palmitate: Retinyl is the ester of retinol (vitamin A) and it is combined with palmitic acid, which is a saturated fatty acid that is found in humans, animals and plants and is (as the name implies) a major component of palm oil. Although it isn't, strictly speaking, retinol, retinyl palmitate is easily absorbed by the skin and once it is there is converted into retinol. Retinyl palmitate is a synthetic alternate for retinyl acetate in vitamin A supplements, and is available in oily or dry forms

retinyl acetate: A naturally-occurring fatty acid ester form of retinol (vitamin A) with potential antineoplastic and chemopreventive activities.

viscum album extract: mistletoe leaf An anti-irritant, known for its soothing properties on sensitive skin. It is often combined with fennel, hops, camomile, balm mint and yarrow in skin formulations.

achillea millefollium extract: is an extract of the yarrow plant; Extract from the flower heads of this ancient herbal, a known anti-inflammatory and anti-irritantIt also adds sheen to the hair; supplied in polypropylene glycol

forsythia suspensa fruit extract: Forsythia fruits are widely used in Chinese traditional medicine for antipyretic and anti-inflammatory activity in the treatment of bacterial infections and upper respiratory ailments. They are commonly combined with honeysuckle flower ( Lonicera ) and other ingredients

New ingredients:
alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*)

angelica archangelica extract: from the plant Angelica archangelica (A. officinalis), of the Umbelliferae family. It is a sweet herbal smelling oil that has a spicy undertone.

glycine soja (soybean) oil:Good emollient, high in linoleic, oleic, palmitic and linolenic acids, essential fatty acids necessary for healthy skin

Note: The Soybean oil may cancel out the glyceryls and retinyls. If so, then there are only 2 new ingredients(alcohol denat & angelica); and there are only 3 old ingredients that didn't make the cut (yarrow, mistletoe, & forsythia).

Thanks for the research, it's mostly the same, but I was really worried about any change at all. Whenever they changed up formulas before on me it's been bad news for my hair.
so since the "new" formula works I'll stick with it and see how it goes. But they got me started. :lol:

NaturalEnigma

:cry3:This breaks my heart. I've been using Aubrey Organics for almost 10 years now. Its my go-to conditioner. HSR has drastically improved my hair over the years. (sigh) I just can't believe it.

constance

This doesn't work the same for me. I just used the old formula on half my hair and the new on the other half.

The old formula is a pearlized yellow while the new formula is a flat yellow. In terms of performance, the new formula behaves like LeKair cholesterol--it is thick and coats the hair. The old formula behaved differently on my hair-it did not coat so much as it seemed to interact with the hair making it soft and pliable. This explanation is unclear but suffice it to say that I'll be looking for a new conditioner as I only have 3 bottles of the old formula remaining.

Last edited: