They changed the ingredients of AO: HSR conditioner

Lucia

I'm already heated that they not only changed the name to just Aubrey but they changed the ingredients too. They added alcohols, took away the aloe, changed the rosa mosqueta oil to rosa mosqueta extract.

The new Aubrey HSR has a more uniform consistency like it's a salon product, it's a little less thick than the original version comes out of the bottle easier. I have the new version in my hair for a DC right now, even if it works on my hair I never liked alcohols they didn't set well long term. I went back to Aubrey because it's natural I can get denatured alcohol in hair products anywhere.
Anyone who's tried both please post your pros and cons of the new formula.

In the original Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose the featured ingredients were:
Organic shea butter & rosa mosqueta oil, organic aloe, honeysuckle oil.

all ingredients:
Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii) (Organic), Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Oil, Jojoba Oil (Organic), Rosa Mosqueta (Organic), Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) Seed Oil, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Extract, Hops, Balm Mint (Melissa Officinalis) Extract, Mistletoe (Viscum Album), Chamomila Recuita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Yarrow, Chrysanthemum, Angelica, Forsythia, Honeysuckle Oil, Carrot (Daucus Carota) Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamin A, C, E)

Now the new version Aubrey Honey Suckle Rose featured ingredients are: Organic shea butter & rosa mosqueta oil, honeysuckle extract

all ingredients:

Aqua, cetyl alcohol, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), butyrospermum parkii (shea butter)*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) extract, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, glycerin, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, rosa rubignosa (Rosa Mosqueta®) seed oil*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, tocopheryl acetate, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) fruit extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, melissa officinalis (balm mint) leaf extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, angelica archangelica extract, chrysanthemum sinense flower extract, magnolia biondii flower extract, ascorbic acid. *Organic

~~~~~~~~
ETA:
Ok I tried the "new" on one side and the "old" on the the other side of my hair. They work pretty much the same I guess my hair didn't mind the slight changes. But I think maybe they were forced to list in detail their ingredients and they did make some changes. I think I freaked out a little cause Aubrey's GPB, HSR, WC are my staples and have been for a long while now. I guess it will stay on my staples list since it still works.

Last edited:

winona

I hope they never change the ingredients to AOWC or AOGBP(sp?). All alcohols aren't bad like Aireen said. Fatty ones plump up my hair:) with lots of moisture

Lucia

Isn't cetyl alcohol a fatty alcohol derived from natural oils?

Not necessarily it can be synthetic especially if they do not list the name or scientific name of a fruit or vegetable, but they had the natural version from the coconut which is better than the version the have now IMO also they have added denatured alcohol that definitely is drying to hair, it's what's in typical hair gels and hair sprays.
I'm not a chemist but I know some basics if they had just use the scientific name it would have been cetyl alcohol derived from cocos nucifera also they have some witch hazel in it and that's a natural astringent. Even in small amounts people with thick dry curls like me will eventually get burned by it.
Don't take my word for it check it out yourself. I could be wrong but for my hair 1 ingredient can make or break a product let alone a couple.

Last edited:

youwillrise

yup...i knew it. actually was on their website a few days ago searching something else and came across the new ingredients. saaaaad. welp. guess i'll be on the search for new all natural conditioners.

Lucia

yup...i knew it. actually was on their website a few days ago searching something else and came across the new ingredients. saaaaad. welp. guess i'll be on the search for new all natural conditioners.

Ugh... I had just been cruising with my staple products and BAM they decide to change. Why, it never works when you change the formula that brought customers to you. You think that would be common sense.
I already sent them an email telling them this is not going to fly with their majority consumers.
BTW I bought the last AO WC on the shelf today, I think they're changing that one too.

Chromia

I didn't realize that. I bought a bottle this week. Last time I bought this was over 3 years ago.

I did notice that the word "Organics" was missing and it's just Aubrey now.

MsRana

this sucks...I literally just ended my search for a great moisturizing dc because I discovered AO HSR...guess its back to the drawing board! :S

Mandy4610

What? Really? This is my staple conditioner. I guess I have to start searching for a new love which I know won't be easy. It's too bad.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

Ms. Tiki

I didn't not this. Now I'm going to have to check my bottles and see which one I have. Ugh! Why?

ETA: My bottle has the new name with the old ingredients. I'm good now!

Last edited:

KittyMeowMeow

I think I remember something about the alcohol always being there, but because of different labeling laws in the UK and the US, they were able to call the combo of denat. alcohol/water/ceteral alcohol "Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base" in the US, but had to list out the individual ingredients in the UK. It does looks like they changed the amounts of and swapped some ingredients in and out though...

Lucia

well I think when their sales take a drop cause we in the hair forums don't buy them anymore they'll get it. If this conditioner trial doesn't work like the old one did, I will be returning the product to the store and informing them exactly why.

Lucia

I think I remember something about the alcohol always being there, but because of different labeling laws in the UK and the US, they were able to call the combo of denat. alcohol/water/ceteral alcohol "Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base" in the US, but had to list out the individual ingredients in the UK. It does looks like they changed the amounts of and swapped some ingredients in and out though...

KittyMeowMeow

thanks for the info, but that's the problem, the ingredients have changed.
Any chemists or amatuer chemists help some sisas out please and break it down for us?
TIA

Last edited:

virtuenow

Oooooooooooh noooooooooooo! The ingredients were posted a while ago b/c companies are required to give the fulll ingredients in Europe. But denatured alcohol was never mentioned. As I understand it, that is regular ethanol alcohol, except it is denatured to put a bad flavor so people don't drink it. It is a bad, drying alcohol. Here are the previously posted FULL ingredients:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=258999&page=2

yes, they are not completely honest, but majority of there ingredients is still natural or naturally derived. The Aubrey organics sold within EU have longer ingredients than that sold in U.S. This is because under EU law you have to include every single ingredients in your products, you cant use something like organic base as an ingredient list.

Below is the exact ingredients on honeysuckle rose conditioner-

UK/EU - aqua, butyrospernum parkii, cetyl alcohol, aloe barbadensis, glyceryl linoleate, glyceryl linolenate, glycerin, triticum vulgare oil, hamamelis virginiana, simmondsia chinesis*, rosa moschata oil*, foeniculum vulgare, humulus lupulus extract, melissa officinalis extract, viscum album extract, anthemis nobilis extract, achillea millefollium extract, chrysanthenium extract, forsythia suspensa fruit extract, magnolia biondii extract, lonicera japonica oil, tocopherol acetate, retinyl palmitate, daucus carota oil, citrus grandis, retinyl acetate, ascorbic acid.

*- organically grown and processed in accordance with US National Organic Programme administered by US Dept of Agriculture.

US- coconut fatty acid base cream, organic aloe vera, organic shea butter, wheat germ oil, organic jojoba oil, organic rosa mosqueta rose hip seed oil, extracts of fennel, hops, balm mint, mistletoe, camomile, yarrow, chrysanthenum,angelica,forysythia and magnolia, honeysuckle oil, carrot oil, aubrey's preservative (citrus extract, vitamin A,C and E).

My main issue is why hide some of the ingredients particularly the ones that are not 100% natural (i.e plant derived like cety alcohol etc). Also it seems that they have more organic ingredient labels on the US than UK, so my believe is that some of the ingredients written as organic on US labels are not certified organic but may be wildharvested (i.e not grown with preservative etc).

I make cosmetic products and issue with natural preservative is that, it is widely accepted that there is no such thing as natural preservative. Most "natural preservative" such as GSE, CSE contain contanminants during the manufacturing process these contaminats in some cases parabens actually offers preservative properties. I know under EU laws, this product are not regarded as preservatives, although you are allowed to include in your product, since all cosmetics sold within the the EU will be tested for safety and shelf life anyway.

Last edited:

virtuenow

Oh, and here's the post on Aubrey w/Denat Alcohol:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=391570&page=2

from my understanding -- with aubrey products -- their "alcohol denat" is natural grain alcohol that has been denatured with lavendar essential oil. the alcohol serves as a carrying agent that aids in the absorbtion of the other ingredients in the product.

i wasn't aware of different labels until threads i saw here ... because all my bottles say coconut fatty acid cream base, lol ... but to me the different labels are more of a proprietary thing. in the u.s. they can list "coconut fatty acid cream base" which tells you what's in it, but doesn't give away their "secret mix". in other countries they have to be a little more explicit in their listing i.e. "cetyl alcohol, alcohol denat". but really the difference is cetyl alcohol & alcohol denat can be synthetically or naturally derived. i think they choose to use natural ingredients for both versus cheaper, synthetic, alternatives. also as a company i think they've shown a commitment to natural ingredients in their products.

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/custom.aspx?id=60#alcoholdenat

ALCOHOL DENAT. (38B, LAVENDER) — Especially denatured alcohol 38b is pure, natural grain alcohol that is rendered undrinkable by the addition of an essential oil. The federal government allows for several different types of essential oils to be used as denaturants under the SDA 38b classification. However, the preferred additive for the natural cosmetic industry is lavender. (See also Natural Grain Alcohol.)

NATURAL GRAIN ALCOHOL — Powerful antiseptic, naturally obtained through the fermenting of carbohydrates in grains. (Many cosmetic formulations contain isopropyl alcohol, a petrochemical that is much cheaper to use and very harsh and drying to the skin.) (See also Alcohol Denat. 38b, Lavender.)

http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient_details.php?ingredient_id=503

Alcohol Denat.

What is it?

Alcohol, also called ethanol or ethyl alcohol, is the alcohol found in alcoholic beverages. When used in products that are not food, beverages or oral drugs, many countries, including the United States, require that alcohol be denatured. This means that a small amount of a denaturant is added to the alcohol to make it taste bad. Alcohol Denat. is the general name used for denatured alcohol.

Why is it used in cosmetics and personal care products?

Alcohol and Alcohol Denat. function as antifoaming agents, cosmetic astringents, solvents and viscosity decreasing agents. In OTC antimicrobial drug products, Alcohol also functions as an antimicrobial agent.

To prevent Alcohol intended to be used for purposes other than oral ingestion, many countries, including the United States, require that denaturants be added to Alcohol. The denaturant makes the alcohol taste bad. When a denaturant is added to alcohol it is called denatured alcohol or Alcohol Denat.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

omg What am I gonna do? I only have one bottle of the old formula left. *cries*

faithVA

Wow - glad I stocked up with that last Vitamin Shoppe sale. Guess I will be doing a haul at Walgreen this weekend as well to try some of these Nubian Heritage conditioners. :yep:

virtuenow

I think GPB is changing also. Look at the ingredients in the scented ones. :/

Don't you dare touch my GPB. HSR is one thing, but you must neva, eva touch my dear GPB. eta: (the scented ones always had the denat. alcohol, its been debated and posted here in several threads; I think I already linked 2)

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Geez. I don't know what to do now. I have six bottles under my sink. Perhaps I need to run and buy as many AO GPB as I can...crap!

O well, maybe I'll try the Elucence MB. But I still need a light protein...hmmm.

One of you guys will try something and let me know. Or I'll make Yes To Carrots work as a DC...gosh, still need protein though...awww man...
Sent from my 4G Thunderbolt using LHCF app

Last edited:

Rina88

Wow I just ran out of AO HSR- that's my staple along with AO GPB- which I will be out of very soon I don't know what I'm going to do. We all know how much WORK AND MONEY it takes to find staples. Lord have mercy. I hope this is sorted out so I can know whether I should repurchase, because I have to travel pretty far to purchase this product. I live in the hood there's no Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods nowhere near my neck of the woods.

JeterCrazed

Aww Lawd.... :pray:

ETA: all those ingredients are still natural. It looks like the ingredients in all the other conditioners, which feel nothing like aohsr. Island Naturals is aiight, but not as Moisturizing. Coconut fatty acid cream is the same as cetyl alcohol.

ETA: after a closer look, I say with confidence that the formula is the same. They expanded the ingredients of the cream base.

Last edited: