Texturizers

CutiePie0Five

Hi Everyone, I was just wondering what a texturizer was? Does it keep your curls but also allow for you to straighten your hair? Do alot of people who have relaxed hair become texturizers? I was thinking about it, and I do like to have my hair curly sometimes but I can't really do that with a relaxer. What does the process of getting a texturizer involve? Can anyone help me (especially those with a texturizer)? Is it healthier for your hair than getting relaxers?

~CutiePie0Five

sweettrini

Hey CP05: A texturizer is a relaxer. It can be lye or no lye formula, depending on your preference and the relaxer is not left on long enough for you hair to become bone straight. The strength of formula (mild,normal,coarse) and length of time you leave it on your hair (5-15 mins) will determine how much curl pattern you have left in when you're done. You do have the option to wear your hair curly (wash and wear) or straight (rollerset, blowdry, flat iron). Many people who have relaxers do not go bone straight even if they never choose to wear their hair curly. i can't really say if it's healthier for the hair or not because you're still chemically treating your hair. You can grow out your hair (don't relax) for a period of time and then start relaxing under the texturizing method and keep trimming off the relaxed ends until you have all texturized hair. Be careful of how you handle the two textures until that point. The point where your bone straight hair and the texturized hair meet is prone to breakage. Protective styles and lots and lots of MOISTURE help a lot.

Hey CP05,

I also have a texturizer- sweettrini covered the high points. I think texturizers cost the same because the stylist still has to apply the same amount of relaxer, they just leave it on for a shorter period of time. I recently texturized and I am loving it. I have not tried to straighten my hair on my own, but I think it can be done very well with a roller set and flat iron. If your hair is healthy now, I think you should consider it!

Isis

I don't have a texturizer but I use a mild relaxer for a short period of time, as OshunCurls mentioned, for a more texturized effect.

CutiePie0Five

SO Oshuncurls, u have relaxed hair? Do I have to use a specific type of relaxer or can I just keeping using the relaxer i use now? my hair is pretty healthy right now, but I dont want to mess anything up by changing to something else. I'm trying to grow my hair, so I don't want to have to worry about breakage cuz I think I've just gotten over that.

buffalosoldier

I texurised my sisters relaxed hair before, you could tell the difference cos the roots were more wavy but she was getting a lot of knots with the 2 textures. she went back to relaxer.
I wore my hair curly with a relaxer but the curls are definately different now I have an Scurl. they are wilder and more natural looking. I can wear it straight too.
As for price you can do it yourself they only cost $5

CutiePie0Five

hmmm interesting..thanks so much buffalosoldier. I'm thinking i might just stick with my relaxer or try transitioning..i haven't decided yet.

[ QUOTE ]
CutiePie0Five said:
SO Oshuncurls, u have relaxed hair? Do I have to use a specific type of relaxer or can I just keeping using the relaxer i use now? my hair is pretty healthy right now, but I dont want to mess anything up by changing to something else. I'm trying to grow my hair, so I don't want to have to worry about breakage cuz I think I've just gotten over that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, my hair is relaxed, CutiePie
It has just been relaxed for a relatively short period of time (6-7 minutes in most sections instead of the 12-15 that it would probably take to get it bone straight).

If you are having good results with the relaxer you have now, you might want to stick with it. However, from the little I know of relaxers, I think Affirm Lye is a good one to try and texturize with because (according to my stylist) you do not have to really comb it through the hair in order for it to do its job of straightening the hair. You can apply it with just your hands (no combing), which enables you to put it in and take it out very quickly. Also, the strength of the formula will impact how long you leave it in your hair (shorter time for a stronger formula).

I'm not quite sure how it works to go from relaxed to texturized hair because I went from natural to texturized. I'm guessing that it would just be a matter of the hair you texturize having more curl/wave than your straight ends, if your hair is relaxed bone straight now.

I hope all of this makes sense
If you are having success keeping your relaxed hair healthy, you could really use most of the same products and practices to keep texturized hair healthy

Mahalialee4

Could you give a hair length comparison from when it was natural and where it was unstretched and stretched to where the length is now stretched and unstretched Bonjour

CutiePie0Five

hmm all this is a lot to take in....I really want to see some of my natural waves n curls n such, but it's such a big thing to go from being relaxed to not being relaxed...