Who has a texturizer and loves it?

yokoyokogirl

Just scrolling through some posts and seems like quite a few of you ladies have texturizers and your hair looks amazing! What exactly is the difference btw a texturizer and a perm? (I always thought the texturizer was a jeri-curl...) And would you recommend it for my hair? How often do you have to get this done?
Thanks a bunch!

natural2008

I recently have gotten a texturizer and it is a perm that isn't left on long, but long enough so that your hair curls up. If it is left on too long your hair can become straight and look like you have a perm. With a texturizer you have the option to wash and go to wear your hair curly or blow dry and weat it straight.

yokoyokogirl

Thanks for explaining! How do you know how long to leave it on? Just wondering...and how often do you have to get it done? I'm thinking this may be an option to having a Japanese straight perm...

LunadeMiel

Is that your daughter in your AVI? She is too cute!
Tell us a bit more about your hair? Relaxed/natural? Hairtype? Hair issues?

natural2008

I am not sure how long to keep it in becasue I went to the hair shop to get it done. But I can tell you that my hairdesser stood there with her come in her hand to see if my hair was getting curly. I cannot explain. I have type 4b-z hair.

natural2008

I just got my first texturizer two weeks ago and was told by some of the women on here that they get them done like every 3-4 months. I was also told that you do not have to get it touched up like you would if you had a perm.

yokoyokogirl

Ok cool. Thanks for explaining...but I'm curious how long they leave the texturizer in your hair before it becomes a perm...any stylists or ladies out here know?

And how can you avoid breakage? My cousin got a perm and didn't keep it up every month like she was supposed to, her hair started breaking off when she went back for touch ups. (Like instead of every month she went every 2 or 3 months for touch ups..)

Thanks for the advice ladies!

LunadeMiel

Ok cool. Thanks for explaining...but I'm curious how long they leave the texturizer in your hair before it becomes a perm...any stylists or ladies out here know?

And how can you avoid breakage? My cousin got a perm and didn't keep it up every month like she was supposed to, her hair started breaking off when she went back for touch ups. (Like instead of every month she went every 2 or 3 months for touch ups..)

Thanks for the advice ladies!

It's better for most people to go every 2-3 months instead of every 4 weeks. How well was she taking care of her hair in between touch ups?

Eisani

I see a clarificatin is needed. Texturizing is when a person uses an actual texturizer, not a relaxer, to soften/loosen the curl pattern of the hair.

The term texlax came from two words compounded: texturize and relax=texlax which means a regular relaxer, not a texturizer, is used to intentionally underprocess the hair. Much like a texturizer, it loosens the curl/wave pattern of the hair, but you still have the flexibility of wearing both straight and curly styles. It also leaves the hair fuller than relaxing bone straight. Natural2008, sounds like you're texlaxed, like me:yep:. The processing(under) time depends on the person's hair. For me, it's 7 minutes max to avoid becoming too straight. HTH!!

ETA: to avoid breakage, a nice balance of moisture and protein is a must. This again depends on the individual's hair. Although I'm currently transitioning, in the past I could stretch my chemical processes anywhere from 4-7 months w/o breakage and excessive shedding.

Last edited:

yokoyokogirl

Ok thanks for the explanation.
If you texlax, what brands would you recommend? I think my stylist here uses Design in her salon. But I'm sure I can order specifics online or have my mom send them over. What kind of care regimen do u recommend and how long does the stylist leave on a texlax to prevent it from becoming a full out relaxer? (Sorry if those are dumb questions but I'm clueless!)

Eisani!!! Sorry I reread and saw you said 7 mins... just out of curiosity how long does it take for a relaxer to set?

hopeful

You can texturize your hair with a texturizer or a mild relaxer, both are very similiar. If you use a mild relaxer to texturize your hair, you will leave it on for less than the recommended time on the directions. Many people cut the time in half, but the best way to figure out how long to leave the relaxer on is to do a small test section first, instead of experimenting on your entire head. Adding oils to the relaxer can also slow down the processing time so you will have more time. I would recommend that you do a search on texturizers and read up as much as you can. Texturizing can be very tricky, especially if you have more than one texture on your head. Good luck.

MonPetite

I see a clarificatin is needed. Texturizing is when a person uses an actual texturizer, not a relaxer, to soften/loosen the curl pattern of the hair.

The term texlax came from two words compounded: texturize and relax=texlax which means a regular relaxer, not a texturizer, is used to intentionally underprocess the hair. Much like a texturizer, it loosens the curl/wave pattern of the hair, but you still have the flexibility of wearing both straight and curly styles. It also leaves the hair fuller than relaxing bone straight. Natural2008, sounds like you're texlaxed, like me:yep:. The processing(under) time depends on the person's hair. For me, it's 7 minutes max to avoid becoming too straight. HTH!!

ETA: to avoid breakage, a nice balance of moisture and protein is a must. This again depends on the individual's hair. Although I'm currently transitioning, in the past I could stretch my chemical processes anywhere from 4-7 months w/o breakage and excessive shedding.

You said what I was about to say! I co-sign with this.

The time left on for a relaxer, to answer your question -depends largely on your hair's density and thickness.

I have thick strands AND thick density. When I texlaxed I had to leave a regular on 25 minutes or a super on 15 minutes. Mild didn't even work.

My other on the other hand can only use a texture softener (no-lye based) ONLY. She has FINE strands and not a lot of them. Her hair processes VERY quickly.

We need more details about your hair to help:

Natural or relaxed
Thick in density or fine?
Thick in amount or fine?
Color treated?
Kinky? Curly? Wavy? A mix? About how much of each type?
What is your current regimen?
Have you relaxed before and do you want too keep up with touch ups?

ALSO

A PERM is for making straight hair CURLY.

A RELAXER makes curly hair straight.

We tend to use them interchangably but probably shouldn't.

HTH!

Ms Lala

I went to your fotki and your curls are pretty and it looks like it got pretty straight from flat ironing. May I ask why you want to texturize?

yokoyokogirl

We need more details about your hair to help:

Natural or relaxed
Thick in density or fine?
Thick in amount or fine?
Color treated?
Kinky? Curly? Wavy? A mix? About how much of each type?
What is your current regimen?
Have you relaxed before and do you want too keep up with touch ups?
Sorry I always say perm when I mean relaxer and such!

My hair? Hum I put some pics in my Fotki, but they may not be that good. My hair is natural and super thick, air dry and it becomes thicker. I think thick in density and amount. Tight curls, but some parts are flatter and not as tight. Color treated part is only left on the bottom, now growing out (Thank God!!) Never relaxed only dyed.

Daily I put on some Kerastase Oleo Relax oil serum, and wrap at night. I wear it down or two balls (pinned up) to work. I work with kids so I'm always running around or cleaning or just getting worked up, plus my school is way old-fashioned-no heat or a/c ("to help strengthen the soul and spirit"---no joke, my boss said this!) so in the summer it's way too hot to have my hair down.

I'm trying to wash every week, but usually once every two weeks. Wash with Kerastase Oleo Relax Shampoo/Conditioner, Salerm 21 leave in, air dry overnite, then flat iron with Maxiglide next day. The whole process takes forever!!!:wallbash:

yokoyokogirl

MsLala,
Thank you but my head is HUGE!!!!! I have to wear my hair straight and flat to disguise my large cranium!!! So the curls are ok sometimes, but I prefer flat and straight to cover up my massive head!

Ms Lala

MsLala,
Thank you but my head is HUGE!!!!! I have to wear my hair straight and flat to disguise my large cranium!!! So the curls are ok sometimes, but I prefer flat and straight to cover up my massive head!

I would say you should try texlaxing if you are just trying to have it be less dense and make it easier to straighten. I used to texlax (way b4 I joined this board and heard the term before) and I would straighten my hair w/a flat iron. My hair wasn't really curly when wet though like some of the ladies who texlax.

Neith

I'm texlaxed!

The amount of time you leave the relaxer in your hair depends on your hair and the strength of the relaxer. Some people's hair processes faster than others.

Some people completely texlax with a mild relaxer for 5 mins. Some people (like me!) texlax with a super strength for 20 mins!

Do a strand test before you put relaxer in your hair :yep:

It makes straightening easier! but I suggest stepping it up with moisturizing, deep conditioning and protein treatments.