Test YOUR HAIR HEALTH

Mitre

Here is an easy trick to tell if your hair could used a deep-conditioning. Drop a strand into a glass full of water. If it floats it is healthy, but if sinks to the bottom, it has absorbed water to make up for lost moisture.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I did the test and my hair stayed at the top! Yay!

CORBINS

Where did you find that information? I'm at work and I just had a lady that I work with that is Phillapino do it and the hair closer to the root floated and the ends sunk. My hair is cornrowed but I was able to pull on out and it floated!

soulchild

I've read this in a magazine a really long time ago. It could have been Seventeen. It said that it indicates that your strands are overly pourous.

soslychic

Well these were some interesting results. I tested 4 portions of my head:

The "texturized" parts (which form about 95% of my head) floated. YAY! The portions that I had accidentally gotten bone straight sunk!
Wow! Just a reminder to myself to avoid overdoin' it with those chemicals!

Bobbie

i think everyone's hair floats if you just drop it on the surface. but it'll sink if you push it in a little to soak up the water. now what does that mean?

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbie said:
i think everyone's hair floats if you just drop it on the surface. but it'll sink if you push it in a little to soak up the water. now what does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

No like I said the overprocessed hair on my head sunk right away. I didn't have to push it. If it floats, I think it has enough moisture to not need to absorb the immediate water that it comes in contact to.

buffyangelfan2

Maybe this works better if you cut a strand of hair in half THEN drop it in. The first strand of hair I put in was long and the end kept popping out the glass so I sort of pushed it all in and it sunk. I didn't push it down, I just poked it a little so every inch of the hair could get saturated. So I guess this means I need to deep condition or protein condition my hair. I thought I was doing everything I was supposed to do. My hair does get frizzy because I airdry. But I have NO split ends or anything like that. Although I have been seeing a little more shedding the past couple of weeks then usual.

Bobbie

yeah, the same thing happen to me too. I think sometimes it floats because not all of the hair is in contact with the water. I'm saying not all cases of it floating means that it's healthy.

buffyangelfan2

Well, I just went and washed my hair. I hot oiled, used my CON, then left the Nexxus Keraphix on my hair for 3 minutes with a plastic cap, then used some Nexxus Humectress(or whatever the conditioner is called), and now I am sitting under my hood dryer with my Lustrasilk Aloe creme conditioner on for an hour, then I am going to rise and use my Nexxus conditioner again. LOL!!!! I got concerned because thinking about it, my hair has been feeling a little dry lately. Plus the shedding. Hope this works.

asha

Yeah! I must be doing something right..my strand floats. It's been half an hour since I put it in and it's still floating. I pushed it down and it came back up.

Nonie

Mine floated too,
and I'm particularly pleased coz I have been experimenting with not using any leave-in after deep (moisture) conditioning.

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobbie, I actually pushed mine under the water to make sure it wasn't touching the sides of the glass and holding on to stay up and every strand floated back to the top.

brittanynic16

I tried my hair and it floated but then I tried my roommates hair and it floated too. But, her hair is breaking and I know she never moisturizes. What is that about?

Nonie

Brittanynic, I haven't been moisturizing my hair after a deep (moisture) conditioning either and my hair doesn't feel dry at all. It's soft and nice. I attribute this to ACV rinse which I believe helps lock in the moisture from my wash/conditioning. I do wash my hair every 3 days though, so I think that helps too.

Is your roommate's hair relaxed? If not, does it have a natural curl or is it wavy or straight? The straighter the natural hair, the less likely it is to be dry. Also if it is breaking, it could be that the ends are dry hence the parts that are breaking while the rest of her hair isn't.
Otherwise maybe her hair is just shedding which could happen for both healthy and damaged hair.