Is your hair healthy?

Crysdon

Here's a little test to find out.

Give your hair’s health a check-up with this simple tress test: Pluck a strand and drop it in water. Give it a light tap with your finger and see if it swims or sinks.

If it swims, your hair gets a clean bill of health. If it sinks, your hair is damaged. It’s become so porous that it easily saturates with water.

I'm going to try this tonight.

RUBY

I just tried this and was suprised that my hair didn't sink because I thought that it would give the titanic a run for its money. And let me tell you I didn't give it no light tap either (although I did at first. I poked it right down and held id down in the water as if I was drowning it and it still floated up to the top. Does the test sink all damaged hair or just porous damaged hair /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Crysdon

I just tried it too Ruby and I did like you. It just stayed on top and I took a bobby pin and poked it to the bottom and it came back up. Good sign /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Does the test sink all damaged hair or just porous damaged hair

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this off the Helene Curtis website and I'm assuming that it sinks all damaged hair.

pebbles

Hi Crysdon,

I'm going to try that tomorrow morning. I think my hair is in good shape, but since I haven't been to a hairdresser in ages, I don't know what a pro would think. /images/graemlins/look.gif

Keeping my fingers crossed for my hair to float! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LondonDiva

Oh no /images/graemlins/nono.gif I'm scared. I don't wanna get depressed. It looks fine but I don't wanna see I'm too scared. /images/graemlins/confused.gif If after all this hard work my hair sinks.../images/graemlins/nono.gif

LondonDiva

Well the /images/graemlins/censored.gif of a /images/graemlins/censored.gif half sank and half floated. The part where the new growth was floated and the end sunk down.

Ugh now I'm /images/graemlins/censored.gif

Edited to say. I'm not going to let this get me down. 1 hair out of a 100,000 isn't a good enough indicator for me about my hair's overall health. It's growing, I'm maintaining the growth and preserving the ends and it's the longest it's ever been. Furthermore it looks good /images/graemlins/smile.gif

There I feel better already. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Integrity

oh no!! thats a nightmare! you tried it now! i am so scared to try it. i wonder why that happened to your hair? is it perhaps a tad over processed? oh no! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Integrity

/images/graemlins/crazy.gifi am trying to get one of my hairs to 'shed' so that i can try the test but its having none of it. maybe i will just yank it out /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Integrity

/images/graemlins/swearing.gif /images/graemlins/swearing.gif /images/graemlins/swearing.gif /images/graemlins/cry3.gif /images/graemlins/cry3.gif my hair sunk!!!!!!

it was kind of behaving like your strand diva but then eventually the stupid thing sunk!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

right i dont believe in this test, i will believe my eyes and 'feel' of it.

Crysdon

Ladies,

Don't beat your hair up because of the test. Just like LondonDiva said, 1 strand out of 100,000 doesn't make all the hair porous. Plus, if it looks and feels healthy, then it is healthy.

pmichael52172

Before I give my results, let me just say, do you realize that if a "normal" non-into-hair person read this thread they would have us all committed? /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

Needless to say I did it and it floated, I kept poking it and it sank a little. I know for a fact that my hair is VERY porous but healthy so I don't think I can take the to heart.

Kiadodie

pmichael52172 said:
Before I give my results, let me just say, do you realize that if a "normal" non-into-hair person read this thread they would have us all committed? /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

LOL that was funny /images/graemlins/spinning.gif

ngaa

pmichael52172 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

pmicheal u r killin me /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ngaa

my hair's in braids now and i already know my hair has no life AT ALL, so i wont depress myself even more 4 nothin
/images/graemlins/frown.gif

azul11

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif i just got a mental picture of someone trying to drown a piece of hair. /images/graemlins/grin.gif anywho i tried this test before even before i switched to lye and my hair swam. God bless you all.

Integrity

ok i tried 4 strands when i got hoome and the y all swam!! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Kitkat

I have a question about porosity. I've always wondered this, and I hope it's not a silly question.

If porous means that the hair easily saturates moisture, why is that bad? Wouldn't that be a good thing? Won't hair be in better condition if it can more readily accept moisture, instead of it being more difficult for moisture to penetrate? If anyone can explain this, that would be great, because I'm having trouble getting it! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

nita4

I'm with you Kitkat, I'm having a hard time understanding this too. Because it doesn't seem like a bad thing, with the exception, that if you don't moisturize constantly then your hair is going to be extremely dry. My hair sunk /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

But, after finding out about how drying no-lye relaxers were I keep my hair conditioned, moisturized and have eliminated heat. My hair is in better condition and growing. So, how can this be bad and if it is what can we do about it?

Integrity

i think if the hair sinks the prtein structure of the hair is damaged and it needs a protein treatment, only guessing here. if it floats it still absorbs water.but sinking is quite serious cos the strand laks enuff protein and floods up with water cos its weak.

ngaa

Kitkat said:
I have a question about porosity. I've always wondered this, and I hope it's not a silly question.
If porous means that the hair easily saturates moisture, why is that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey kitkat i aint an expert on hair or nothin but then i'm assumin that if the hair readily absorbs water then it also readily loses the water and this may be the bad part coz the hair wont really be able to remain moisturised coz it loses the water just as fast as it is absorbed, maybe /images/graemlins/confused.gif

londongirl3

How many pokes?

My hair floated and after the 5th poke began to half sink. Then it completely sank.

I'm guessing I passed because it did float initially. I guess after a while it takes up water and sinks.

Julia

Okay so I read this thread at lunch while at work. So what do I do? Fill up my clean coffee mug with water and pluck out two strands of hair to do the test. Of course someone happened to walk into my office while my back was turned and I was discreetly trying to poke and shove my hair into the cup of water. The poor guy just looked at me as if I was from another planet. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

The two strands sank at first and then came right back up to the top afterwards...? Not sure how to interpret this. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Faith

I tried this on Monday(a few strands). I left it in water for about 12hours. They were still floating on top when I came back. I was scared to try this test, I have always thought of my hair was porous because it reverts so quickly with humidity. I thought how quickly hair reverts was related to how healthy/porous it was?! I guess I was wrong?! I think I heard it from a hairdresser...hmmmm.