Terminal length What?

Shea

I know growth rate is determined by genetics but what does terminal length mean , and how do you know when your there and how many years of growing will you know that you have reached there???:confused:

Proudpiscean

I've never heard of this......I don't think there is such a thing :confused:
As long as you nurture your hair & baby the ends, it should grow indefinitely.....right?:perplexed

Shea

I most certainly hope so. I saw it on a thread:( but I hope there is no such thing that means my hair will never make it past shoulder again:eek:

Proudpiscean

You'll make it past shoulder length and reach your goals too! Just keep following the great advice here (moisturize and then seal the ends with oil, protective styling and stretch relaxers 8+ weeks).;)

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Terminal length is the pre-determined "stop length" that your hair will grow to. There really is no way to predict where it will be though. Also, remember that hair will always grow, you just have to retain it to see results.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I did a search and found this quote from Sistaslick....
Sistaslick said:
I agree with Foxy, you are both right. :yep:
Genetic make up plays a major role in determining the hair's terminal length. Personal hair care plays a role in realizing the terminal length genetics has predetermined.

Terminal length is the longest length your hair will grow in its growth phase. But, terminal length is more of a time measure, than an actual length measure. Growth phases last years, and hair will grow until it hits that time point--- not necessarily a certain length point or marker. Hairs grow independently of the ones around them so when one reaches terminal length, another may just be a year or two in. If your growth phase is genetically engineered for 4 years whether you've gotten to waist length or been stuck at shoulderlength in those 4 years your hair will shed at that 4 year mark. Even if you shave your head from waistlength to bald at 3 years and 364 days in, at that 4 year point it will shed- regardless of finishing length. Your job is to simply bank as much growth and retain as much length as you can before the clock runs out for each hair. I don't believe you can truly know your terminal length until you've been growing your hair for several years on an impeccable healthy hair regimen.

Genetic make up also plays a role in how we age--- whether we'll start to thin out an an early age, experience a texture change, etc. As we age the hair's growth rate does tend to decrease. Hair grows the fastest in childhood, so maybe that is what she meant by you being 21 hitting your old age. :lol: As long as you are alive though, your hair/nails will continue to grow no matter how old you are. Now how much of it you have left thickness wise is up for discussion. :lol:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Shea said:
thanks jazzy. but too bad I am lost with what year I am in and how long I have:confused:

There is no way to know because all your hair is not growing the same way at the same time.

I copied this from my hair journal. I got most of the info from Paula Begoun's Don't GO Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me.

Hair goes through a life cycle all it's own. At any given time, all the hair on your body is either growing, resting (dormant), or shedding. Hair grows in 3 distinct stages.

The first stage is the anagen (growth) stage. At this point, the hair is very busy developing in the hair follicle. This growth stage can last anywhere from 2-6 years. During this phasem hair grows on average of about half an inch per month, or six inches a year.

The next stage is the catagen (transition) stage. After 2-6 years of growth, the hair cells stop producing and the growth process is just about over. For 3-6 weeks, hair just lies around while the rrot moves slowly to the skins surface. Entering its last phase of life, the hair is ready to shed.

The telogen (final) stage is short-lived. At this point the hair root is completely separated.

At any given time, approximately 88% of the scalp hair is in the anagen phase, 1% in the catagen phase, and 11% in the telogen phase.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Ok so what happens after the telogen phase? Is there just an itty bitty bald spot left? Or does the scalp form another hair follicle, and the process starts all over again?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
TSUprincess04 said:
Ok so what happens after the telogen phase? Is there just an itty bitty bald spot left? Or does the scalp form another hair follicle, and the process starts all over again?

No, you are born with all the follicules you'll ever have. Once the hair completes the telogen phase, it sheds, but a new hair has already started to form and grow in it's place. This hair growth cycle will continue until you die.

Candy_C

have any of you guys every thought to grow your hair till terminal? i feel to do this and see what happens. who knows how long ma hair will grow...i wanna have the longest chemically straightened hair in tha world..lol that wud be different for the guiness book of records...i may change my goal to terminal one day,.

C

chica_canella

B_Phlyy said:
No, you are born with all the follicules you'll ever have. Once the hair completes the telogen phase, it sheds, but a new hair has already started to form and grow in it's place. This hair growth cycle will continue until you die.

Also might I add that it isn't certain sections that are in one telogen phase but it might be something like 2 strands in the front, 1 in your temple. They are sporadically displaced which is why most people's hair isn't all one length.

And something I learned from BHM from Robin's site said,

Question: Isn't long hair hereditary?
Answer: Extremely long hair is hereditary, but hair that grows 12 inches to 24 or even 28 inches from the nape of the neck is normal. Ordinarily your hair can grow 6-10 inches a year and sometimes more. I believe afro textured hair can be that long or longer if you are re-educated on how to grow your hair long. My hair is 28 inches from the top of my crown going down the back. My hair has never grew this length until I was re-educated on how to care for my hair. What I thought was my original length was 8 inches from the nape of the neck. I'm sure that afro textured hair can grow longer than what was expected with a new out look on Afro--textured hair.

cocoberry10

TSUprincess04 said:

B_Phlyy said:

Yeah, what she said!

JustKiya

Candy_C said:
have any of you guys every thought to grow your hair till terminal? i feel to do this and see what happens. who knows how long ma hair will grow...i wanna have the longest chemically straightened hair in tha world..lol that wud be different for the guiness book of records...i may change my goal to terminal one day,.

I don't plan on ever cutting my hair - trimming as needed, yes - but actually chopping significant length off? Nope, nope, nope.
So, I guess I will be shooting for terminal.....once I get to tailbone, I plan on maintaining there until my hair is full from rooter to tooter, and then letting it start growing again.

It should be interesting.