I Think I Figured Out My Terminal Length!

curlyninjagirl

I think I figured out how to estimate my terminal length using my gray shed hairs!

Inspired by this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=498332&highlight=figure+out+terminal+length, which uses an equation to estimate terminal length, I think I've come up with another possible way...maybe :blush:...using my gray hairs.

So, I spotted my first gray hair about 8 years ago. :cry2: And then last year I spotted my first gray shed hair. So assuming that hair hung around for about seven years and my yearly growth rate of 6 inches, my hair should stop growing at 42 inches (assuming every inch is retained LOL).

Any thoughts? Anyone else nervous about the big bad T.L.??

WyrdWay

If it was the same grey hair :) and I wonder if each follicle has the same terminal length? This is interesting :)

Imani

I find the whole terminal length thing very interesting. I'm very curious what my terminal length is; I've never had hair past SL. I would be happy if its at least 3 years. Lets say, I retained about 5 inches a year, thats 15 inches of hair which would put me past BSL. Thats plenty hair for me.

Sianna

I'm with you Imani.

I don't think I really want super long hair anyway. If each of my hairs grows about two and a half years before it sheds, and I retain 5 inches per year, that'd give me a solid 12 and a half inches of hair. considering I've been hovering between EL and NL nearly all of my life, I'd be more than happy with that. :yep:

Imani

I'm with you Imani.

I don't think I really want super long hair anyway. If each of my hairs grows about two and a half years before it sheds, and I retain 5 inches per year, that'd give me a solid 12 and a half inches of hair. considering I've been hovering between EL and NL nearly all of my life, I'd be more than happy with that. :yep:

We are >>here<< 12.5 in would put me at full APL easy. I'd be VERY happy with that. :yep:

Aviah

There's going to be people that will come in and argue that there's no such thing as terminal length and your hair will just keep growing...

I'm not nervous at all. The same way our eyelashes stop at a certain length, is the same way my head hair will, and there's nothing I can do about t so I'll work with it. I should be able to get to my goal of WL anyway, being short with a short torso. If not, it is what it is!

Polyesterdiva

Sorry, I'm skeptical.

I don't think you could conclude that the hair you found shed was from 7 years ago, just because you found your first gray hair then. You'd have to assume you only sprouted one "crop" of gray hairs 7 years ago, thus all the gray hairs on your head are the same age (doubtful). More likely, the new hair could've sprouted just a couple years ago because you are sprouting new hair (regardless of color) all the time. It is possible, but it's a huge assumption that can't be very far off from just guessing.

theLovelyStyle

Maybe not terminal "length" because hair can't detect how long it is. (think about breakage/cuts/trims).

But there is terminal time!