My Hair Has Reached Terminal Length If....

When would you consider your hair to have reached terminal length?

• I've reached APL with no growth in 1 year.

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • I've reached APL with no growth in 2 years.

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • I've reached APL with no growth in 3 years.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I'm BSL with no growth in 1 year.

• I'm BSL with no growth in 2 years.

• I'm BSL with no growth in 3 years.

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Other. Please be specific in your post.

Votes: 43 43.9%

• Total voters

GoldenBreeze

I've been thinking about this. I know that everyone has a terminal length, but how much time has to pass without any additional growth before we know that we have reached it. I'm going to use APL & BSL as markers for this poll only because, I think we can all get to at least APL.

When would you consider your hair to have reached terminal length?

ETA: I'm not ignoring the WSL and beyond ladies, but I'm guessing the time frame of not having any growth would be about the same. If I'm wrong in that assumption, please tell me.

Last edited:
I don't believe in terminal length myself. It doesn't really make any sense to me (not discrediting your post or anything).

How would the hair follicles inside your scalp 'know' the length of your hair,especially seeing how hair is dead? Why is it that white, indian, and asian women and other races can have long hair down to their ankles and such?

However, I do believe in shedding phases and that there is a growth phase (growing, stopping, and shedding). But I believe if you are babying your strands and are taking care of them you should be able to retain them for a very long time. Even when you are in your "no growth/shedding" phase, the length of your hair won't fall out (if you are taking care of it). Of course some of the strands will break over time, but I believe the better you take care of them, the stronger they will be and the longer they will last. Though I do agree that it is harder to retain the longer (and older) the strands are. Which doesn't make it impossible. You just have to work harder.

Last edited:
none of the above.. ive been shoulder length all my life nearly, an i thought my hair just couldnt grow any longer than that.

but since coming here its grown to nearly midback length.
i personally believe anyone can et to at LEAST brastrap length if they are caring for their hair they way they should.. it all comes down to knowlege and care. .

LocksOfLuV said:
How would the hair follicles inside your scalp 'know' the length of your hair,especially seeing how hair is dead?

locksofluv. i agree with 99.99 % of your post.
but for the above question , i do believe hair will only grow to a certain length then stop and rest. for example your arm and leg hair dont grow to 12 inches (thank gawd lol) so your follicles are designed "programed" to stop rest and purge at some point..

( i just think that terminal length is longer than most ppl think)
jmo

Last edited:
Thanks, Locks. I'm curious though, based on something I read, since each strand has a growth, rest, shed cycle and the growth cycle only lasts from 2 - 4 years for the strands doesn't that mean that at some point (2 - 4yrs) all people reach a terminal lenght? I know that growth starts again after the strand has shed, but the new one can only grow for the same 2 - 4 years, and only a certain number of inches each year say (6 - 12). Is that right, or am I totally off base?

it's so funny that this topic has been brought up because I have been thinking about it for a while. I have come to the belief that all hair have programmed length but they can be stimulated into growing phases but i'm confused as to what determines each termination point. :confused:

A few years ago, i acccidentally plucked a hair on my stomach and it grew back thicker and a lot longer than the rest of the hairs on my stomach which are barely visible. It grows to about 1 inch to 1.5 inches :eek: . I think the initial plucking stimulated the follicle somehow and reprogrammed the termination point. I plucked again and it grew even longer, wth. Since then, i just trim instead of plucking. I don't know, just throwing out some ideas. :) Short of electrolysis, I think i maybe stuck with this one forever, lol.

LocksOfLuV said:
How would the hair follicles inside your scalp 'know' the length of your hair,especially seeing how hair is dead?

Example:

Lady A
anagen (growth) phase: 10 years
hair grows: 7" per year

Scenario 1) She never cuts her hair and never damages it. Each strand will grow to 70" then fall out.

Scenario 2) She cuts her hair 5" every year due to damage, or just for a change of style. Each strand will grow to 20", then fall out.

Lady B
anagen (growth) phase: 5 years
hair grows: 6" per year

Scenario 1) She never cuts her hair and never damages it. Each strand will grow to 30" then fall out.

Scenario 2) She cuts her hair 5" every year due to damage, or just for a change of style. Each strand will grow to 5", then fall out.

Hope this makes sense.

ETA: Link about hair growth phases

Last edited:
silvergirl said:
jmo

ITA: and I'm trying to get an idea of how much time should pass with no growth before we consider that we may have reached it. I may have worded the poll wrong to get what I want, but I can always try again.

BTW: I too believe that we all can achieve at least BSL

RainbowCurls said:
Example:

Lady A
anagen (growth) phase: 10 years
hair grows: 7" per year

Scenario 1) She never cuts her hair and never damages it. Each strand will grow to 70" then fall out.

Scenario 2) She cuts her hair 5" every year due to damage, or just for a change of style. Each strand will grow to 20", then fall out.

Lady B
anagen (growth) phase: 5 years
hair grows: 6" per year

Scenario 1) She never cuts her hair and never damages it. Each strand will grow to 30" then fall out.

Scenario 2) She cuts her hair 5" every year due to damage, or just for a change of style. Each strand will grow to 5", then fall out.

Hope this makes sense.

ETA: Link about hair growth phases

Absolutely, thanks.

I don't believe in terminal length myself. It doesn't really make any sense to me (not discrediting your post or anything).

How would the hair follicles inside your scalp 'know' the length of your hair,especially seeing how hair is dead? Why is it that white, indian, and asian women and other races can have long hair down to their ankles and such?

However, I do believe in shedding phases and that there is a growth phase (growing, stopping, and shedding). But I believe if you are babying your strands and are taking care of them you should be able to retain them for a very long time. Even when you are in your "no growth/shedding" phase, the length of your hair won't fall out (if you are taking care of it). Of course some of the strands will break over time, but I believe the better you take care of them, the stronger they will be and the longer they will last. Though I do agree that it is harder to retain the longer (and older) the strands are. Which doesn't make it impossible. You just have to work harder.

I agree and feel the same way. Let's just get one thing straight. Not all of the strands on your head are on the same growth cycle at the same time. We have millions of single strands on our head ( or maybe hundreds of thousands). Each one is in the preprogrammed growth cycle at its own time. Otherwise, we'd all be bald at some point every 5-7 years. There is no such thing as terminal length. What I think happens is that the stress of weight of the hair and the ends needing extra TLC can cause breakage. And on top of all that, most of us have relaxers. If that relaxed hair gets anywhere past waist length its going to need a lot more attention than a caucasian, asian, hispanic or any other type of natural type 1-2 hair. That's a fact.

LocksOfLuV said:
I don't believe in terminal length myself.

I dont believe in terminal length either. It just never made sense to me. :confused: I dunno.... if folks hair stopped growing, there would never be a need for touch-ups and things of that nature. As long as we are living and breathing, our hair is growing..... even if at different rates during different growth cycles. :)

KiniKakes said:
I dont believe in terminal length either. It just never made sense to me. :confused: I dunno.... if folks hair stopped growing, there would never be a need for touch-ups and things of that nature. As long as we are living and breathing, our hair is growing..... even if at different rates during different growth cycles. :)

I think the term 'terminal length' is misleading. It implies that the hair just stops growing when it gets to a certain length, which it doesn't.
What it means, is that there is a certain length a person's hair can get to (however long it grows during the anagen phase) before it sheds and a new hair starts to grow.

"Terminal length" can be misleading because the hair doesn't grow to a certain length. It grows for a certain time. The length you acquire in that time changes due to trims/breakage/cuts. I think terminal time is a better way to look at it. If you allowed your hair to grow uninterrupted (no breakage/trims) until a majority of the hairs reached the longest they could get in your terminal time-- that would be terminal length. The scalp could care less how long the hair is when it hits that terminal time, all it cares about is how long it has been growing for. That hair is going to fall whether its reached WSL at the end of its terminal time or it was shaved back to bald the day before.

But seriously, I think it would be really hard to determine terminal length on a person since all of the hairs on a head are always in different stages and have different growth rates. One hair may be at its "terminal time" resting at APL due to breakage/layering, the hair beside that might be 2 years in at shoulder, some hair may have reached waistlength at the fullest potential of terminal time, and the hair beside that may be just getting started. Each hair has its own terminal time independent of the hairs next to it.

Interesting thread...I agree that with tender loving care everyone can reach their goal length--whether it's APL or BSL.

RainbowCurls said:
I think the term 'terminal length' is misleading. It implies that the hair just stops growing when it gets to a certain length, which it doesn't.
What it means, is that there is a certain length a person's hair can get to (however long it grows during the anagen phase) before it sheds and a new hair starts to grow.

ITA. :yep: The hair cycles through this so seamlessly that we do not even notice. It's so easy to think of our hairs as a big growing "unit" but they are all really independent actors with their own schedules and agendas. :lol: Hairs reach their terminal time all the time-- any time you see that little white tip-- a hair has met its end and a new one is regrowing right in its place. In fact, that new hair is likely what pushed the old hair on out. :lol: Hair on the arms and brows have terminal times of 3-6 mos. They seem to grow to a point/length and then fall, but they are really growing to a time, then falling.

If my hair doesn't get any longer for the next year and a half then I'll figure I've reached terminal length. I really don't think I'm there yet, though. I need about 8 more inches.

Sistaslick said:
ITA. :yep: The hair cycles through this so seamlessly that we do not even notice. It's so easy to think of our hairs as a big growing "unit" but they are all really independent actors with their own schedules and agendas. :lol: Hairs reach their terminal time all the time-- any time you see that little white tip-- a hair has met its end and a new one is regrowing right in its place. In fact, that new hair is likely what pushed the old hair on out. :lol: Hair on the arms and brows have terminal times of 3-6 mos. They seem to grow to a point/length and then fall, but they are really growing to a time, then falling.

Sisterslick, is your book available for purchase yet?

silvergirl said:
locksofluv. i agree with 99.99 % of your post.
but for the above question , i do believe hair will only grow to a certain length then stop and rest. for example your arm and leg hair dont grow to 12 inches (thank gawd lol) so your follicles are designed "programed" to stop rest and purge at some point..

jmo

I think so too. But I think if you are retaining that length, once it starts back growing you should be fine. lol, Get what I am saying?

GoldenBreeze said:
Thanks, Locks. I'm curious though, based on something I read, since each strand has a growth, rest, shed cycle and the growth cycle only lasts from 2 - 4 years for the strands doesn't that mean that at some point (2 - 4yrs) all people reach a terminal lenght? I know that growth starts again after the strand has shed, but the new one can only grow for the same 2 - 4 years, and only a certain number of inches each year say (6 - 12). Is that right, or am I totally off base?

I personally don't think so. But maybe I am not understanding the question. I am confroozed.:lol:

Taij said:
I agree and feel the same way. Let's just get one thing straight. Not all of the strands on your head are on the same growth cycle at the same time. We have millions of single strands on our head ( or maybe hundreds of thousands). Each one is in the preprogrammed growth cycle at its own time. Otherwise, we'd all be bald at some point every 5-7 years. There is no such thing as terminal length. What I think happens is that the stress of weight of the hair and the ends needing extra TLC can cause breakage. And on top of all that, most of us have relaxers. If that relaxed hair gets anywhere past waist length its going to need a lot more attention than a caucasian, asian, hispanic or any other type of natural type 1-2 hair. That's a fact.

Beautiful answer. Thank you!:)

Sistaslick said:
"Terminal length" can be misleading because the hair doesn't grow to a certain length. It grows for a certain time. The length you acquire in that time changes due to trims/breakage/cuts. I think terminal time is a better way to look at it. If you allowed your hair to grow uninterrupted (no breakage/trims) until a majority of the hairs reached the longest they could get in your terminal time-- that would be terminal length. The scalp could care less how long the hair is when it hits that terminal time, all it cares about is how long it has been growing for. That hair is going to fall whether its reached WSL at the end of its terminal time or it was shaved back to bald the day before.

But seriously, I think it would be really hard to determine terminal length on a person since all of the hairs on a head are always in different stages and have different growth rates. One hair may be at its "terminal time" resting at APL due to breakage/layering, the hair beside that might be 2 years in at shoulder, some hair may have reached waistlength at the fullest potential of terminal time, and the hair beside that may be just getting started. Each hair has its own terminal time independent of the hairs next to it.

See, I lub me some Sista!:p You got a way of breaking it down and even making me understand-and you know I am slow.:lol:

Great post! I love how you ladies (Locks of Luv and Sista ) broke it down.

I agree with a lot of TLC and patience our hair can grow to lengths some of us never imagined (ones who have shorter than shoulder lenght hair).
I always thought my hair can only grow to shoulder and that was it because this is what God intended but I am now realizing this isn't the case.

KiniKakes said:

I totally agree that hair never stops growing. Each time a hair sheds a new one grows in it's place, but the one that was shed stopped growing. Terminal length seems to mean maximum lenght per strand for the majority of strands. If I'm understanding correctly, that is a factor of growth cycle in years (anagen phase) times inches for each of those years.
I dunno either, but I'm going to keep hacking away at the bits and pieces until I understand. :)

Sistaslick said:

With excellent hair care and health hair, if the majority of hair has reached hipbone lenght and has been there for 3 years without any additional lenght. Could that person considered HBL to be terminal lenght/terminal time?

Locksofluv, Your hair is absoulutely beautiful, I am currently natural with twists and an occasional press, what did you do to make you hair so pretty?

Last edited:
GoldenBreeze said:
With excellent hair care and health hair, if the majority of hair has reached hipbone lenght and has been there for 3 years without any additional lenght. Could that person considered HBL to be terminal lenght/terminal time?

I'd say so.

yellagirl730 said:
Locksofluv, Your hair is absoulutely beautiful, I am currently natural with twists and an occasional press, what did you do to make you hair so pretty?

Thank you. I'll PM you once I get home tonight so I won't highjack the thread!:)

Okay this is what I've read and understand on Terminal length. Some say terminal length is 3-7 years other say (90 percent of population) is 5 - 9 years. Terminal length is determined by genetics, age, nutrition and health. That's why it's so important to fuel your body well so that your able to get maximum growth befor you hit your teminal limit. For ex: Some people only get a 1/4 of growth from their hair monthly which is good but possibly for the same person if they eat foods that promote growth and stayed properly hydrated they could be getting 1/2 or more length in a months time. If you think you've reached you terminal limit try taking vitamins or supplements to boost you system for a few months and see if you get any more growth.

GoldenBreeze said:
With excellent hair care and health hair, if the majority of hair has reached hipbone length and has been there for 3 years without any additional length. Could that person considered HBL to be terminal length/terminal time?

Maybe, but I'm not so sure, cause sometimes hair pauses, then grows some more, but the majority of people 90% can get their hair to Tailbone/Classic with proper care but how long it takes is what's genetic. I don't believe that because your hair pauses that automatically means it won't grow anymore, I believe that terminal lengths are much longer than we all think like WSL/hipbone would be the shortest terminal on the majority of people.

EbonyHairedPrincess said:
Okay this is what I've read and understand on Terminal length. Some say terminal length is 3-7 years other say (90 percent of population) is 5 - 9 years. Terminal length is determined by genetics, age, nutrition and health. That's why it's so important to fuel your body well so that your able to get maximum growth befor you hit your teminal limit. For ex: Some people only get a 1/4 of growth from their hair monthly which is good but possibly for the same person if they eat foods that promote growth and stayed properly hydrated they could be getting 1/2 or more length in a months time. If you think you've reached you terminal limit try taking vitamins or supplements to boost you system for a few months and see if you get any more growth.

Thanks, every bit of info is helpful. I'm more curious than anything, I just want to understand how one can tell when/if terminal length is reached. I'm nowhere near it yet, but I'm getting a better understanding of how to know when I am with each post.

Back