Taren's catching heat on YT

SEMO

I was thinking some more about Taren's video and it reminded me of another video she did (over a year, I believe) where she was talking (and maybe doing a mini rant) about how once people "make it" on youtube and become partner that they allow the success to change them for the worse. I believe it was the video that started some beef between her and Kimmaytube, and that Taren ended up taking the original video down.

As I think back, I'm not sure if what she's saying today still represents what she was saying back then. From my memory, she was just starting to truly increase her subscriber number at the time and hadn't branched off from her channel just being a personal hair journey vlog. She wasn't a youtube partner at the time (though I believe she mentioned that she wanted to be one).

So remembering this, I do find that I'm reviewing what she said now in a new light.

empressri

There are several other vloggers that have more than 5k subbies that have responded. AfricanExport has around 60K I think but she didn't make a video but posted her views on her blog which is basically the same thing.

I have over 10k and don't give a sh*t enough to get into this infinite circle of madness. Truthfully I just want watch Sherlock.

My friend did you at least watch her video yet? This entire thread you said that you haven't read it.

*Frisky*

I have over 10k and don't give a sh*t enough to get into this infinite circle of madness. Truthfully I just want watch Sherlock.

My friend did you at least watch her video yet? This entire thread you said that you haven't read it.

empressri

Are you talking to me? I never said that I haven't read or watched the video.

biancaelyse

I've attempted to watch some of Taren's videos over the years but didn't find her very knowledgeable about healthy hair growing.

This new video made me cringe and shut it down after a couple of minutes. If she is looking for this to be livelihood, she needs to act a lot more professional and present herself in a way to draw in companies, not run them off.

I'm surprised that she has that many viewers. There are several members here with great healthy hair that I would watch over Taren's channel.

tiffjust2002

I've attempted to watch some of Taren's videos over the years but didn't find her very knowledgeable about healthy hair growing.

This new video made me cringe and shut it down after a couple of minutes. If she is looking for this to be livelihood, she needs to act a lot more professional and present herself in a way to draw in companies, not run them off.

I'm surprised that she has that many viewers. There are several members here with great healthy hair that I would watch over Taren's channel.

Why do you not find very knowledgeable? I am just curious wanna hear your thoughts :grin:

biancaelyse

tiffjust2002 said:
Why do you not find very knowledgeable? I am just curious wanna hear your thoughts :grin:

The videos I saw showed her having set backs from heat damage and then being shocked when she DCed for the 1st time. After being on this site and NC for 10 years, I am looking for more knowledge than that.

Saga

The Generous Queen
I just tried to sit through her long arse rant with her neck rollin’ and earrings jinglin’ all over the place. :lol:
LOOOL, I know right? I kept hearing that soun d throughout the whole video. I was like "what in the world..?" then i realized it was her big earrings xDD :lachen:

WOW Kimmay is getting paid like that???!!!

And to get paid on YT you have to be a partner, which Taren has been for sometime. They give you a small percentage of the money they get from ad sales on your videos.

Not by no Goody, no. She had some other career that she discussed on her Tumblr page as a visual demonstrator or something. That was when she made 6 figures. Right now her only sources of income would be Luvnaturals, YouTube, and hopefully her product line.

I do agree with the general consensus of the thread. Whether Taren is arrogant or not, she went about this whole thing the wrong way. If she wanted to raise some awareness, all she had to do was write up a statement or whatever and message it to various beauty vloggers or whatever. To put it all; out in the open like that is exactly the way someone described it: talking about family problems when company is around. It's not appropriate and it doesn't look good.

I'm happy some people in here know how to have intelligent debates, instead of ignorant arguments with person feelings coming in. It's really not that deep.

tiffjust2002

The videos I saw showed her having set backs from heat damage and then being shocked when she DCed for the 1st time. After being on this site and NC for 10 years, I am looking for more knowledge than that.

oh okay lol @DCing for the 1st time and being shocked that's funny.

MissMasala5

empressri said:

Sherlock is such a great show :yep:

longfroinghair

I don't understand why she's comparing her YT channel to big time celebrities who get commission to endorse a product.
Idk, Taren, Be careful what you wish for. To ask for *comission* is signing your YT life away. Understand that if you want to get paid like the celebrities you need to first work to become a celebrity or remotely famous. Then you're signing a contract saying you will make your channel solely about a certain product, which you can only say positive things about. You wont be allowed to comment favorably on any of the company's competitors. Pretty soon the company gives you a script, controls the lighting, and when where and how you make each video. Overworking you like a paid advertiser.

You'll be begging for your I'm-just-a-normal-person image back. Cause it's a whole different game when you're comparing yourself with celebrities. You wont be seen as someone we can all relate to, you'll be seen as a paid spokesperson. No, Taren, your reviews won't be seen as honest anymore when you're paid. She's hoping for the best of both worlds......total trust of viewers, with the pay of an advertiser. It doesn't work that way.

shasha8685

Like many have said, she makes a few valid points in her vid but was completely unprofessional in airing her complaints.

If she wants to make being a vlogger her livelihood, she needs to figure out how she fits into the hair care game and how she can make money off of that. I mean look at Macherie (sp). While we may not agree with her methodology, she took her rollerset dvd and spun that into an enterprise that is working for her via her website, DVD, YT, etc.

I guess I don't understand taking the time to publicly complain about it. Taren can make this venture work for her (financially) if she is willing to make that happen.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Her "negative" rant opened the doors for others to capitalize "positively" off her video.

This is why I said no one will forget who she is or what she says.:lol: Taren is not new to controversy. She seems to rise above it. Of course folks are going to try to make themselves try to look good at her expense, but I don't think she will be negatively impacted too long.:rolleyes:

cutenss

No that this has anything to do with the video :look: but, I felt that she is not the same since she BC. She seems sad about that. Her hair doesn't seem to be the same. It has grown back like she wanted, like it was. Maybe it is just me.

My Friend

empressri

Yes. I watched it prior to my last post (When I posted she got 50k views). I also watched the lawyer video and read AE blog.

I don;t have an opinion about any of it because I don't do video's, no one is sending me free product and I really just don't care. I did want to hear from someone who was in that same circle, just to see what they think.

AE has 60k subbies but I'm unsure if she gets free product or is being contacted by numerous companies like Taren. I saw 3 names listed that have contracts from companies to review their products and I know about Kimmay.

This was more like watching the Young and the Restless for me rather than trying to take sides or give an opinion about something that does not effect me at all :nono:

0live0il

people saying that it takes a lot to make a video..and it does..BUT that is something they CHOOSE to do.they choose to go out and invest their money in hopes of gaining more subscribers by providing better videos..to get back their invest and more..but this is YOUTUBE if it wasn't for the subscribers would they have the platform that they have..NO! to put down a small business once your head gets to big is just wrong..never forget where you come from.what goes up can and will GO DOWN!!

From the comment section :lol:

I'm not routing for Taren's demise at all! I just hope from this she can learn the valuable lesson that you can't always talk to your viewers the way you talk to your girlfriends.

Tiye

She feels like celebrities get paid for their endorsements and as a vlogger she should too.

I don't watch Taren's channel but the solution is kind of simple. If she wants to get paid celebrity money then she should become a celebrity. Alternatively she can sign up at a modeling agency and do commercials. You're not going to have everything your way talking into a camera in your bedroom or bathroom on youtube.

LoveisYou

Taren needs to join Independent Fashion Blogfers she can learn a lot from them about monetizing her channel, creating a media kit etc. I despise it when big corporations believe they have a right to take advantage of ppl while they line their pockets. Free products aren't enough Taren, I agree! Get compensated!