Ladies Help needed for my sister PLEASE!!!

Blaque*Angel

Hi Ladies :wave:

I wish I could help my sister.I am natural and have a simple braided regime-And very clueless to relaxed hair as I have never had it before.

My sister used to have mid back hair, it had wave noveau in it.
It was lovely, thick and wavy. Since having her son, she switched to relaxers and suffered terrible post partum shedding. She became addicted to weaves, sew in's and glued in. Her once beautiful flowing locks are now in a very terrible state, we spoke today she confided in me that she feels bald (she's about shoulder length) but it is terribly thin and straggly, she goes to my cousin's salon monthly for a deep condition but she has no regime what so ever.
I have promised her by the end of today I will have a regime for her.

Hair Type :4A Status: Damaged and unhealthy

How often should she be relaxing her hair?
(currently every 2-3months)
How often should she be trimming?
(currently every 4months)
How often should her hair be getting deep conditioned?
(currently every month)
How often should she be washing her hair
(currently once a month)
What relaxers do you recommend?
What products do you recommend?
What vitamins for thickness do you recommend? (biotin?)

To make matters worst, my cousin who is a very selfish woman as been rubbing it in my sisters face, "your hair used to be the envy of all black women!" "your hair isn't nothing like it used to be" "did you shave your hair off" my cousin's hair never used to grow past ear length but she has been using a product called jennifer myers for 5 years and she is now bra strap!
www.jennifermyers.co.uk She's doing all she can to make my sister feel bad about herself and it is working:(

My sister is a beautiful person inside and out and doesn't deserve for her self esteem to be dinted by my cousin who has always tried to make her feel small about herself.

Please help ladies,

Thank you all very much for reading this long post

divinefavor

I'm sorry that your sister is having a rough time with her hair But, with patience and TLC, your sister's hair will be healthy again and back at brastrap in no time!

I suggest that you print out the Newcomer's thread for her. I think it's still around here somewhere if not you can check it out in DSD's(dontspeakdefeat) album.

I would like to suggest that your sister wash and deep condition her hair once a week.

I'm not sure what your sister's budget is but Aveda Damage Remedy is a great line. It's expensive, but is very concentrated and can last a long time.

I hope this helps! When I think of more, I'll come back and add to this thread. I'm sure some of our LHCF hair consultants will chime in soon!! LHCF will get your sister's hair back on track.:)

Miss.Que

I'm sorry that your sister is going through this. Sometimes other feel the need to put someone else down in order to make themselves feel better due to their own insecurities. But anyway I agree with DivineFavor about her reading the Newbie Guide.

I think she should try to relax every 3 to 4 months

I am a person who likes to get rid of damaged ends. If I was her I would cut off all the thin damaged hair. Maybe a nice healthy bob would be a nice starting point. But she should use her own discretion.

(currently every month)
Once or twice a week

(currently once a month)
At least every week

This is a hard one. I like Phytospecific Index II. But it depends on her hair needs.

I love the Joico Kpak Line. Especially there Intense Hydrating Conditioner. Also she needs a good moisturizer. I use Cathy Howse Dew and I seal with Castor oil. Again this depends on her hair needs

Nioxin

Blaque*Angel

Thank you so so much for your replies Miss.Que And Divinefavor:grin:

I am taking notes and will print out the newcomers guide for her, I really hope her hair can get back to the way it was as i don't want her confidence dinted any further.

Thank you both and everyone else feel free to chime in ;)

crlsweetie912

Blaque*Angel said:

(currently every month)
(currently once a month)
Girl, we all start somewhere. Your sister grew her hair once and she can do it again. Maybe she should join the forum, for moral support if for nothing else. I agree about maybe stretching her relaxers to maybe 3-4 months, or just adding a week to her stretches each time will help. I would say that the every 4 month trimming schedule is good. She def. needs to dc weekly and wash weekly to "boost" her hair's health. If she can't do weekly, maybe every two weeks. I love Mizani's relaxer, but everybody is different. Is her scalp really sensitive? I swear by Motions CPR and Moisture Plus Deep conditioner. That's what saved my hair. I also like the new Profectiv Mega Growth conditioner. Nioxin really helped me, but it became too expensive. Maybe a good multi from Vitamin Shoppe or vitamins here are really well priced. Now I am taking the Nature's Plus Source of Life liquid. It's too early to tell about results, but the liquid is so much easier to take than pills. Please give you sister my best and tell her to NOT GIVE UP! She can do it! :D

hairmaster

Dosn't say to much for your cousin she should be doing more to help your sister, every client that goes of of your salon is a reflection of your work and the level you go to to make the client look and feel better.
I agree with the others to shampoo and condition once week, wave noveau
require moisterrizing daily, maybe she just needs to go back to moisterizing daily.

Missi

(currently every 2-3months);)

every 6 months to once a yr is fine if she can keep her ends healthy or she doesn't mind perfect ends

once a week: she can do a protein treatment (Ultra Black Hair) and next week deep condition w/ a moisture conditioner or: deep condition w/ a protein, wash out: & apply a moisture conditioner

once to twice a week (every 3 days) depending on how dry her hair gets w/ in a week:

My personal fav is Motions: Salon Herbal "mild" cuz I dye my hair and its for dyed hair (hint: mild) but for her To start over: i suggest Oganic Root Stimulator Relaxer. It seems to be a personal fav for a lot of ppl

I recommend Cathy Howse's Ultra Black Hair Products and Book http://www.ubhpublications.com Her products are targeted to our hair needs and help eliminate our problems like breakage & dryness: Amla Oil & Pantene Clarify Shampoo. Also products that give great moisture and slip like "Aubrey Organic Conditioners"

I'm no doctor but Cathy suggest taking Zinc & Iron to help w/ healthy hair growth & scalp.

mw138

I would suggest trying to go at least 3 months.

When needed. If her ends are pretty bad now, it might be best to just have them trimmed now so she can start off with healthier ends. Her hair, overall, will look much better.

(currently every month)

Every week. Use a really thick and creamy deep conditioner.

(currently once a month)

Weekly.

I've had good results with ORS no-lye relaxer. The trick is to not underprocess the new growth and not overprocess the hair that is already relaxed (overlapping). Does she go to a stylist for her relaxers or does she do them herself?

Silicon Mix - I :love: this!
Doo-Gro Intense Penetrating Conditioning Treatment
ORS Replenishing Pak (EXCELLENT product!)
ORS Hair Mayo
Nexxuss Humectress
Moisturizing Shampoos
A lot of TLC :)

foxy kc

I'm not a stylist but the fact that you said that she switched from wave noveau to a relaxer is the big problem.

Wave noveau is a PERM, if you switch to a relaxer you are bound to cause quite a bit of damage, massive hair loss..and that is probably what happened to your sister.

I honestly think that she needs to cut off the damaged hair and start all over.

Blaque*Angel

Hi Foxy,

I'm late to this reply, but the wave noveau was cut off about 7 years ago.

foxy kc said:
I'm not a stylist but the fact that you said that she switched from wave noveau to a relaxer is the big problem.

Wave noveau is a PERM, if you switch to a relaxer you are bound to cause quite a bit of damage, massive hair loss..and that is probably what happened to your sister.

I honestly think that she needs to cut off the damaged hair and start all over.