Tangled Mangled Straw set help!! Please Help!!!

I have relaxed 4a hair. I straw set my hair and It came out lovely. I wore it for about a week. The problem is when I washed my hair I tangled sooooooo bad even with me putting it in 4 braids and washing each section. I lost so much hair. I would like to wear one again. Is their any product that I can use or any procedure I can do or a comination of the two that I can do to keep that from happening again. Thanks ;)

pmichael52172

My hair sounds the same way. Looks good with spirals and such but I can't wear them too much because too much curliness tangles after a while.

I'm responding with my opinion because this has never happened to me, but perhaps after carefuly detangling with your fingers try slathering with conditioner first (like a conditioner wash) and then proceed with your regular wash and condition and so on. Hopefully someone who knows more could help but I thought I'd at least respond.

Good luck and attach some pics of your straw set next time. I'd love to see them.

NessaNessa

I wear these curly styles and have experienced the same troubles in the PAST. I have to agree with pmichael. I use my fingers to detangle my curls...very gently. I then slather on very slippery condish and run my fingers through my hair once again. At this point I am ready to wash the condish out and I have hardly any tangles, if any at all :)

Hope this work for you!

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I don't know from experience yet, but you may want to try Sareca's "oil rinse" technique. There's a whole long thread devoted to it right now. It's supposed to make the tangles just fall out. I'm going to try it--I just did my first straw set last night.

prospurr4

I wear spiral sets, and they usually last 7 days, until my next washday. Before washing, I gently detangle my dry hair with my fingers, from tip to root. Then I apply my DC, make about 6 twists and cover with a plastic cap w/no heat. After about an hour, I rinse my DC, and then shampoo.

This method works great for me and really minimizes tangling and breakage, even when I have lots of new growth. Hope this helps.

neonbright

Ok when I got my twist updo style about 3 weeks ago, I new it was going to be heck getting it out. So I set out to Sallys and bought Procalim Aloe and Shea Butter Shampoo and Conditioner. The both have great moisture and detangle really well like the bottle says. I set under the shower head for about 10 minutes, poured the shampoo in my hands and almost instanly my hair unraveled and detangle by itself and the only reason I say this I tried to unravel each twist by hair with just wet hair, that didn't work, I used my usual shampoo and that didn't work. So the test was on for Proclaim and it worked. I posted pics in my fokti of my hair in the twist updo and I wore that for one week.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Pre-pooing with conditioner and/or oil helps.

I spritz my hair with lots of water before slathering cheap conditioner all over (and sometimes a little oil). Then I cover it and let it sit for a while before shampooing. Almost all of the tangles fall out.

loved

I used to wear straw sets and when wearing them the only shampoo I would use to wash them out was CON

Ms. Plain Jane

Pre-pooing with conditioner and/or oil helps.

I spritz my hair with lots of water before slathering cheap conditioner all over (and sometimes a little oil). Then I cover it and let it sit for a while before shampooing. Almost all of the tangles fall out.

Co-Sign. This is exactly what I did a week after my rod set, without detangling. I used Silicon Mix + Olive Oil and left it in for about an hour. Then proceeded to wash, etc.

cg92

I just washed out my curls today. I do not comb thru my dry curls b4 washing. I wet my hair til it's saturated use a good detangling shampoo (I like Keracare hydrating shampoo) i do not try to comb thru it after shampooing. Next I use a good conditioner/plastic cap/hooded dryer (again I have not combed thru it), rinse and apply a leave-in conditioner that detangles(one that sprays works best) at this point you could comb thru it.
I never have problems. I also think what someone mentioned earlier about applying conditioner b4 poo would be beneficial. I think pre-poo with conditoner would be better than oil. I don't think oil + water + curls is a good combo.

Last edited: