Can you straw set natural hair?

soslychic

I thought that the straw set was a style orignally created for natural hair, but I just read the following quote from the most recent issue of sophisticate's (alica on the cover):

Straw sets are great for relaxed or otherwise straightened hair?

So can naturals do straw sets do with good results or not?

Happy2BNappy

You can straw set natural hair, but the look is totally different. It is more of a natural afro outcome. Also depending on the type hair you have. My hair is "coily", so the look I will achieve is a more of a "wild curly afro"...bear in mind that the style doesn't last as long on natural hair....

hotshot

id say depending on how strong the setting product is, like gel, it can come out looking smooth and non-afro like.

babyblue

it can be done. i tried it last year using gel only. it lasted about a week. the hardest part for me was trying to secure the straws with the bobby pins. perhaps you should try it with setting lotion to get a firmer set.

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
hotshot said:
id say depending on how strong the setting product is, like gel, it can come out looking smooth and non-afro like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Because I"d love to try it if I decide to go natural, but I wouldn't want it coming out looking like an afro. Would it also depend on the length of your hair if it would hand down more?

elaine

if you set your hair on straws, once it it dry, don't pull the curls out. I did this, and it looked as though my hair were coiled. And of course the shorter your hair is, it will look more like an afro if you are going natural.

elaine

it is relaxed. i had a straw set back in Sept. and because my hair was at my collar bone (until I got a cut) my straw set was way up to my ears. Plus I did it on the skinny straws. They are best done on the McDonalds straws. It looked like a little short nappy afro from the 70's but I loved it!!
Now you know where we live, a lot of people were not used to it and I got a bunch of stares. It takes a few days for the curls to fall and you have to keep it moisturized. As a matter of fact, I just set my friends hair on straws this morning (it took 2 hours to roll) and she got mixed reviews about it. If you want to try it, I will email you instructions on how to roll it.

soslychic

Elaine, oh yes could you please pm me the instructions. I'd love to know. Sorry it took so long to reply. I must have missed this last post.

jada1111

I'm fully natural now and my hair curls naturally the way a strawset would. I'm 4a, so I have pencil thin coils when wet, so this style would be a waste of time on my hair now, but it looked great when I was relaxed. If you're relaxed or 4b (like my niece) then the strawset may work for you. I want a flexirod set! I need to find a natural salon in LA that can do it, if not I'll experiment on my own.