Taking kinky twist out... what to do?

Zuppy

I'm taking my Kinky Twist extension out this weekend. I've had them in since mid-March. My scalp is flakey and itchie..(no doubt from Surge) it's definitly time to get these bad boys out!!

I'm relaxed with THick 4B hair, I already had about 6 weeks of new growth when I put the twist in. I just wondered what others do immediately after removing braids to nourish their hair after a long stint with braids. Also I don't know if it's serious shrinkage or if my hair just
did not grow as much as I thought it did or should have after over three months post relaxer.. All feed back welcomed!

Zoe

Whenever I take out braids or twists or even weaves I let my hair breathe at least a day before I do anything else to it

Make sure you deep condition your hair since u didn't get a chance to do it while ur hair was braiding..

Before u wash ur hair..make sure that ur hair is untangled..let me say this again.. make sure that you have NO KNOTS IN UR HAIR...

I dont think u heard me girl....

MAKE SURE U TAKE OUT ALL OF THE KNOTS... If u attempt to wash ur hair with knots it will only get worse..

If u cant comb ur hair through (even if its nice and slow) then u need to have more patience..

Good luck girl.

Zuppy

Thanks for responding Zoe! I've actually had braids/twist on and off for years. I always try something different to get my hair back on track. I'm just looking for some new ideas. I do know from experience about the darn knots!!! I washed once per week and then used diluted conditioner the last 1/2 month.. (my new growth was feeling HARD)

I was thinking...should I just do a super protien treament like Aphorgee(sp?) or something like colorshines. I plan to touch my hair up in two weeks. I want to make sure my hair has recovered from this long stint in braids... it feels a bit weak.

Also, I'm looking for some advice on getting my scalp back in order..I don't think it's every felt so dry and itchie.

bollyhair

[ QUOTE ]
Zoe said:
Whenever I take out braids or twists or even weaves I let my hair breathe at least a day before I do anything else to it

Make sure you deep condition your hair since u didn't get a chance to do it while ur hair was braiding..

Before u wash ur hair..make sure that ur hair is untangled..let me say this again.. make sure that you have NO KNOTS IN UR HAIR...

I dont think u heard me girl....

MAKE SURE U TAKE OUT ALL OF THE KNOTS... If u attempt to wash ur hair with knots it will only get worse..

If u cant comb ur hair through (even if its nice and slow) then u need to have more patience..

Good luck girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

You ain't never lied! I made the mistake of washing my hair immediately after taking 3 month old braids out (W/O COMBING 1ST)and my hair had actually DREADED
(yes,..as in LOCKED!). This past time, after removing 3 month old kinky twist (I'm seeing a pattern here,...maybe I leave my hairstyles in too long
), I parted my hair and thoroughly combed it out, then conditioned washed in SECTIONS. After my whole head had been conditioned washed like that, I followed w/ shampoo (also in sections), and then again w/ a deeper moisturizing conditioner. I rinsed my hair in sections too, btw. I was able to blow dry my hair, and it came out great. I personally think that that is the best way (for me) to take care of my 4B hair after removing braids, twists, etc.