Kinky twist wearers past/present, question for you!

akgirl

I just put in used kinky twist extensions about a week ago. I used kanekalon hair, "JazzWave Sweetie Afro Braid" hair. I'm considering using them to grow my hair out.

So my question(s) for kinky twist extension wearers from past or present is did you notice any damage or were you able to successfully grow your hair out using this method?

If not kanekalon, what hair do you prefer (besides natural)?

Also, has anyone used this brand of hair that I mentioned above with no issue?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Tamrin

unapologetic
I just took mine out 2 days ago. I use the Janet Marley. I have used them to reach APL. I have no had damage. Make sure my edges are not tight. I keep mine properly moisturized.

Spongie Bloom

I just removed mine from wearing them 2 months and i have no damage. Ive worn them a number of times and have had not damage as long as you dont pull them to tight when you wear a ponytail you will be fine

Ivy Santolina

Pre-LHCF, I've worn kinky twists but I used the kinky human hair. I've never used the kanekalon type. The key is to keep them clean and moisturized and watch your edges. I've successfully gained a lot of length and didn't experience any damage. The problem for me has been retaining the length while/after removing them. Unlike now, I didn't know how to properly care for my hair. However, from what I've learned here on LHCF, I'm going to wear kinky twists during vacation and I'm confident I'll be able to retain the length post removal.

Junebug D

Don't mean to hijack-- but for those of you who had your kinkys done in a shop, how long did it take? And what's the standard hair that they provide you with in the typical African braid place for kinkys? Human or synthetic?

Lucky's Mom

My problem with the syn hair is the itchiness of it.... I cannot stand it. Any tips on how to make the hair less itchy?

remnant

My problem with the syn hair is the itchiness of it.... I cannot stand it. Any tips on how to make the hair less itchy?

The lady of Crown and glory advice to dip them in vinegar and hot water for 15 minutes to remove the alcaline base of Kanakalon or any synthetic hair... and then let them air dry before use!

tmrskltn

Yes, I have this problem 2, the solution is to soak the synthetic hair in a water vinegar mix(white vinegar) for a few mins u will see a white film @ the top of the water take it out rinse w water n air dry

akgirl

Tamrin and Spongie Boom, did you use kanekalon? I had heard that it can "cut" your hair, so that wasn't noticed? Also, what method did you use, the braiding at the root, then twisting or just pure twisting?

Mook's hair

No I haven't used that brand. The hair I used is kanekalon bobbi boss jamaica braid but it is very bulky.

I am removing mine later this month, I will have to let you know whether I see any damage...I don't expect to.

I agree, you must keep your hair well moisturized.

Ivy Santolina

The lady of Crown and glory advice to dip them in vinegar and hot water for 15 minutes to remove the alcaline base of Kanakalon or any synthetic hair... and then let them air dry before use!

Yes, I have this problem 2, the solution is to soak the synthetic hair in a water vinegar mix(white vinegar) for a few mins u will see a white film @ the top of the water take it out rinse w water n air dry

I have problem with itchiness with the human kinky hair. I always thought it was the dye. I will try this method to see if that prevents the itchies. Thanks for the advice.

Ithacagurl

Don't mean to hijack-- but for those of you who had your kinkys done in a shop, how long did it take? And what's the standard hair that they provide you with in the typical African braid place for kinkys? Human or synthetic?

I had mine done at Khamit Kinks in NYC. They did a great job by minding my edges and not doing it too tight. They use 2 kinds of human hair. One on top was human kinky and a curlier one at end to fininsh twist with a curl. Hair costs was about $350 but hair can be reused. It took 3.5 hours

Ithacagurl

I had mine done at Khamit Kinks in NYC. They did a great job by minding my edges and not doing it too tight. They use 2 kinds of human hair. One on top was human kinky and a curlier one at end to fininsh twist with a curl. Hair costs was about $350 but hair can be reused. It took 3.5 hours

Also mine is twisting from the root

mscocoface

I have been using them for a few years and I have had no issues. I did wash them in vinegar and water the first time because I have sensitive skin.

But I have them in now and I have no problems growth or otherwise. Plan to keep using them until the summer months if I can stay out of my head and stop changing up protective styles.

I just realized depending on what I do with the twists I can braid them up or bun them to keep them off my shoulder. Now that I have found a way to do that I will be keeping them in longer or at least trying to.

Here are some pics of different styles I am doing with them now.

I am finding quite a few different ways to do this now to keep them off my shoulders. Hair is thriving I want the nape area to stay up and out of the way.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Tamrin and Spongie Boom, did you use kanekalon? I had heard that it can "cut" your hair, so that wasn't noticed? Also, what method did you use, the braiding at the root, then twisting or just pure twisting?

Yes I use Kanekalon hair. I have never experienced any cutting. I went from chin to 1 inch past apl using them. I start out with 1/2 inch of braid then twist. Mine are not bulky I pull as I twist. By the time I'm done they was waist length (on me that is).