Super strength or regular....that is the question

cocoa32

I cuurently have a regular strength relaxer on my thick coarse hair. I'm thinking of trying super strength next time, hoping my hair will feel and look silkier and less "wiry." I'm worried that super will be too strong and damage my hair.

Does anyone out there use or has tried Super? What are/were the results? How did you decide to use Super? Do you think it will make my hair silkier?

locabouthair

I was going to post this same exact question. I am in the same boat as you. I have coarse hair but I use regular and it leaves some parts of my hair textlaxed but I dont burn with it and I dont get any breakage but Im scared if i use the super (coarse) relaxer I will get breakage.

myco

Is it possible for you to process longer with the strength that you currently use?

That seems like it would give you more control on the areas that are more resistant instead of exposing all of your hair to a stronger relaxer.

cocoa32

myco said:
Is it possible for you to process longer with the strength that you currently use?

That seems like it would give you more control on the areas that are more resistant instead of exposing all of your hair to a stronger relaxer.

I already leave it on for the max 20-22 minutes! Plus, I must smooth like crazy!

cocoa32

My last and first self relax was w/ Motions Lye Regular. It came out underprocessed. I'm thinking of going with Silk Elements next time.

locabouthair

cocoa32 said:
My last and first self relax was w/ Motions Lye Regular. It came out underprocessed. I'm thinking of going with Silk Elements next time.

almost everyone i know that used motions was underprocessed. myself included.

beana

I think motions is a milder relaxer than other brands. Maybe you should try Mizani regular.. thats MUST be one of the strongest relaxers out there

locabouthair

beana said:
I think motions is a milder relaxer than other brands. Maybe you should try Mizani regular.. thats MUST be one of the strongest relaxers out there

i use this. It leaves me kinda textlaxed in some parts but I havent gotten any breakage from it and I NEVER burn with it no matter how much I itch during the week. I'll be in the chair chilling when I get a relaxer:lol: I didnt know it was so strong. I actually thinking about getting the super.

cherriamber

I also have thick corse hair so i use hawaiian silky no lye relaxer super and my hair always comes out soft and it gets my new growth really good.I'v tried regular relaxers thinking it would be better for my hair but they just don't to do the job

beana

locabouthair said:
i use this. It leaves me kinda textlaxed in some parts but I havent gotten any breakage from it and I NEVER burn with it no matter how much I itch during the week. I'll be in the chair chilling when I get a relaxer:lol: I didnt know it was so strong. I actually thinking about getting the super.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Mizani tore my scalp and hair up!!!!! i actually suffered follicle damage the first and last time i used it!!!! I'm a straight up 4a with mostly fine/medium hair so that could be why.

My sis has very coarse thread-like hair and she's used hawaiin silky lye and that gets her bone straight.. however nowadays she's cut down on relaxers and uses the sedu flat iron to get her hair bone straight and it works. Revlon is a string relaxer too IMO

crlsweetie912

I think it's the motions. I used motions for years and was ALWAYS underprocessed, no matter how long I left it on! I use the Mizani fine/color treated myself. I am no where near fine, but I was color treated when I first started using this :thumsup:

Soliel185

I used ORS no-lye in Super and it works very well. My hair is straight but not thin. At a certain point I'd rather use Super for 12-15 minutes than use Regular for 22-25 minutes and come out of it underprocessed and burned.

locabouthair

beana said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: Mizani tore my scalp and hair up!!!!! i actually suffered follicle damage the first and last time i used it!!!! I'm a straight up 4a with mostly fine/medium hair so that could be why.

My sis has very coarse thread-like hair and she's used hawaiin silky lye and that gets her bone straight.. however nowadays she's cut down on relaxers and uses the sedu flat iron to get her hair bone straight and it works. Revlon is a string relaxer too IMO

:eek: wow. if i had heard you say that b4 i started using it i would have never used it. im a 4b with coarse hair. some parts are wirey. did your hair recover from that damage?

man im not even sure i wanna mess with the mizani super now. thanks for the reccomendations.

to the OP I think you should try regular in a different brand first because a lot of people on here were underprocessed by motions even people who dont have coarse hair.

cocoa32

I was thinking of trying Silk Elements regular, until I read a lot of people experienced "reversion" with it. I just don't know what to do! I'm 12 weeks post and these roots are out of control. I need to decide.

Where can I buy Mizani? What other brands have coarse haired 4a/4b had success with? For some reason my search function isn't working right today.

C

chica_canella

Look, i have course hair too 3c/4a and I assure you that there isn't much dif between 4a and 4b. i used dudley mild for sensitive scalp and my results weren't super straight but if you use the right shampoos and conditioners you don't need to relax super straight. It isn't healty for the hair either. So, even in my 3c parts I just have a loose body wave but in the 4a it is tighter but bearable.

ILYandY

I was underprocessed when I use motions too but I only tried it myself because my stylist used it on me so I called her and asked why it left me underprocessed. she said that most people who use motions dont realized that the relaxer is mild for a reason its used for better management of the hair not for bone straight hair it is made to keep as body and fullness in the hair. She also uses motions when she gives me a perm rod set for my faux curly look the motions relaxer only takes out the thick bulky coarse texture.

She suggest that only getting a stylist who know what they are doing with the motions products and other products to do your hair and the stylist knows about hair care not hairstyling. Or don't use the product at all. Which I think is true because my hair is always bouncy and full when she use motions on my hair. BTW way she uses design essentials maintance products with motions relaxer.

The last time I relaxed myself I use Organic root stimulator lye regular and it was nice. Try doing a test first thats the only way you really get to see how a product works on your hair.

beana

locabouthair said:
:eek: wow. if i had heard you say that b4 i started using it i would have never used it. im a 4b with coarse hair. some parts are wirey. did your hair recover from that damage?

man im not even sure i wanna mess with the mizani super now. thanks for the reccomendations.

to the OP I think you should try regular in a different brand first because a lot of people on here were underprocessed by motions even people who dont have coarse hair.

Let me do my little disclaimer;) , Mizani seems to work well for many women on this board so i dont mean to bash it, but i cringe whenever i think of someone putting a Mizani super in their hair!!!! KhandiB, who has gorgeous hair uses Mizani super (i think).

My hair has fully recovered from that damage that was like 5 or 6 years ago... no more bald spot, the hair has fully grown in with the help of TLC, emu oil and a daily multivitamin. I think they make one of the strongest relaxer formulations on the market and thats a no no for my scalp/hair.

LocksOfLuV

crlsweetie912 said:
I think it's the motions. I used motions for years and was ALWAYS underprocessed, no matter how long I left it on! I use the Mizani fine/color treated myself. I am no where near fine, but I was color treated when I first started using this :thumsup:

Ditto on the motions. Cocoa do a search on Motions relaxer and you will get 80% bad reviews. From what I read that relaxer sucks.

IMO no one needs a super relaxer. I have the nappiest and the coarsest hair type and I don't even use a super. All I need is a good relaxer and some bad ass smoothing techniques.

C

chica_canella

LocksOfLuV said:
Ditto on the motions. Cocoa do a search on Motions relaxer and you will get 80% bad reviews. From what I read that relaxer sucks.

IMO no one needs a super relaxer. I have the nappiest and the coarsest hair type and I don't even use a super. All I need is a good relaxer and some bad ass smoothing techniques.

I remember I thought my stylist was going to use Motions on me but he said he doesn't use them anymore because they don't really relax and leave clients underprocessed. He said it started happening a couple of years ago when they changed their formula.:(

LocksOfLuV

chica_canella said:
I remember I thought my stylist was going to use Motions on me but he said he doesn't use them anymore because they don't really relax and leave clients underprocessed. He said it started happening a couple of years ago when they changed their formula.:(

I actually underprocess on purpose (texlax) but I would try it but people are saying this it leaves the hair dry/frizzy.

I can't have that. :nono:

cocoa32

LocksOfLuV said:

When I was going to different stylists over the years they never used super on me. LocksofLuv, you're probably right in just staying away from super. What is your smoothing technique? I used my fingers.

Of course I did a search on Motions AFTER I had already used it! I don't want bone straight hair, but I don't want it to feel and look like I never had a touch-up either. That's what Motions did to me.

Can anyone comment on Silk Elements? I'd like to try something that I can get at Sally's since it's nearby. The BSS in my area don't sell many Black hair care products.

LocksofLuv, which relaxer do you use?

Thanks for all the response ladies.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

I use Profectiv Super and I LOVE it.

But, since not all relaxers have the same pH, I would not do to a super initially for any new relaxers until I see how strong the regular is.

Profectiv Regular was not getting my hair straight enough, even with me being a texlaxer. The Super works better for me.

My mom also uses this one and when I do her hair, smoothing more, she gets very straight but keeps her fullness and body.

I think the relaxer being used makes a big difference.