What strength for a corrective relaxer??

beana3

Okay, I've been a "mild" strength user for some time now and i'm thinking of going with the regular from now on.

My question is, Is it safe to go over underprocessed hair with a stronger strength than i would normally use?? Since my hair has been somewhat processed previously would it be damaging to go over that hair with a stronger relaxer, would that leave my hair extremely weak??

I hate switching relaxer brands.. in the past i've used
TCB regular (no major problems)
Motions oil mild (its like i put nothing in my hair)
Motions Mild ( no major problems)
Optimum Super (that devil heifer at the salon fried my hair with this.. I'll NEVER use another optimum relaxer, no matter what strength again!)
.. I'm sure she used Bantu also.. all i know is that my hair consequently feel out due to her hands

I had my eye on
Affirm mild or regular.. i'm not sure if this is a strong relaxer
Strength of nature( maybe i have the name wrong?)
Hawaiin Silky mild (my mom says this was a strong realxer)
Revlon and Creme of nature

All help is appreciated!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
beana3 said:
Okay, I've been a "mild" strength user for some time now and i'm thinking of going with the regular from now on.

My question is, Is it safe to go over underprocessed hair with a stronger strength than i would normally use?? Since my hair has been somewhat processed previously would it be damaging to go over that hair with a stronger relaxer, would that leave my hair extremely weak??

I hate switching relaxer brands.. in the past i've used
TCB regular (no major problems)
Motions oil mild (its like i put nothing in my hair)
Motions Mild ( no major problems)
Optimum Super (that devil heifer at the salon fried my hair with this.. I'll NEVER use another optimum relaxer, no matter what strength again!)
.. I'm sure she used Bantu also.. all i know is that my hair consequently feel out due to her hands

I had my eye on
Affirm mild or regular.. i'm not sure if this is a strong relaxer
Strength of nature( maybe i have the name wrong?)
Hawaiin Silky mild (my mom says this was a strong realxer)
Revlon and Creme of nature

All help is appreciated!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on the condition of your hair. It will be more damaging, but how much will depend on your hair. I've done it in the past without any problems. My hair is very strong.

Karonica

I'd say mild. I have a ton of underprocessed hair I have to fix, and I'll touch up the new growth, and then hit the u.p. hair for a few minutes. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beana3

I think it depends on the condition of your hair. It will be more damaging, but how much will depend on your hair. I've done it in the past without any problems. My hair is very strong.
-------------------------------------------------------
that said... I think it will be wise for me to stick with a mild formulation. I think i'll go back to motions mild OR the TCB.. something i know i had good results with.
I have a mix of mostlty very fine/ medium stranded hair. I'm worried about acheiving the proper straightening for future touch -ups

SexyGyrlNY

Beana I've been reading your posts for awhile and it sounds like me and you have the same exact problem, I used motions oil relaxer on my hair in Jan and it did nothing for me, so as a result I'm suffering from the puffy hair syndrome too /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I was wondering, since you're about to do a corrective relaxer, how long has it been since your last perm?

beana3

Actually SexyGyrlNY, I'm not due for at least another 3 weeks!! I just want to have all my products in place so i'm not forced to go to the BSS with condit in my hair b/c i forgot something! (unfortunately i have done this before, luckily my hoody covered me) Plus i feel the NEED to buy my relaxer now, b/c thinking about it is wrecking my brain!

My last "touch-up" was feb 15... I might even do mine at week 5.. I dunno, It depends on the breakage. I wish i could do the no heat thing, but it seems like rollersets and blow drying are musts for me now. I feel like its \ a toss up b/w possible heat damage or relaxing too soon /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

BTW i suggested a product called Get it Straiit by Sebastian and it worked pretty well..maybe you should try that in the meantime.

Kitkat

Beana, I've had a corrective relaxer done with a mild relaxer. And trust me, I am very 4a/4b. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

honeycomb719

Beana, I think our brains are connected /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I've being battling w/ this same question since my hair was underprocessed Feb. 8th w/ the Motions oil(mild). And, I'm planning on getting a corrective relaxer done the beginning of April w/ Mizani at the salon. I want to use it in (reg) strenght, but if the stylist says it wouldn't be best I will take her advice. But, I can't take going through this U.P. hell no more. I think by the time April come I will need to use a regular strenght relaxer, because this stuff is fierce NOW.lol. I will hate to see the end product of another underprocessed head /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Keep me posted on how things go for you, and I will do the same. I think your my "hairtwin" /images/graemlins/smile.gif. PM me any time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SexyGyrlNY

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
beana3 said:
BTW i suggested a product called Get it Straiit by Sebastian and it worked pretty well..maybe you should try that in the meantime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely going to take your suggestion on that one, I'll keep you posted on the results...