Super Grow Out Challenge **Update Month 7**

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hi Ladies! :wave:

It time to post your progress for month 7 of the SGO Challenge.

I have to say that this year has been a year of major setbacks for me and I am not on target to reach brastrap anytime soon but I am hanging in there. I need to rethink what I am doing with my hair and just go back to basics. My hair loves the basics. I also need to be more gentle with my hair because my ends are so fragile. I would like to get to my goal with strong healthy ends.

I am currently wearing a sew in weave and I will keep this in at least 2 more weeks for a total of 5 weeks. I am using my MTG 3 times a week and I just wash my hair as needed. Everything seems to be going pretty good.

What about everyone else??

Hey I havent' checked in for a while. To be honest, I really have no idea what my hair looks like. Because I've been wearing protective styles since I got my last relaxer which was May 20th and I plan to go until December w/out a relaxer. But I know that I do have a lot of new growth its soooo sooooo much. Its like Im natural again. The little short hairs in the back are completly natural as well, soft curls and they keep growing also.

Im loving this, because finally after like years I get to see what my natural hair looks like. From there I will decide weather I want to cut it off and start over (all na - tur - al) or just keep it going they way I've had it and just relax it every 6 months.

And yes my hair does breath in between my take downs, and I had a lot of hair loss w/ my last take down but my hair remained thick and I couldn't see any part w/ any visible hair loss you know. Plus I washed it out with out combing it out first because u know how it so fragile after the braids, but either way my hair seems to be doing good, and I have a loooooooottttttt of new growth, I haven't measured yet but after I take these braids down I will measure and let you all know, in next months update.

Happy Growing!!!!!!

Hi everyone,:D

I can't believe that we are in August already. As for my hair I started going to a hairdresser in June who cares about the health of hair and growing hair. I was a little wary because she used a lot of heat on my hair however I can say that my hair is actually going very good. I wish that my camera was working so that I could take pictures.

So now I go to her every two weeks, she deep conditions my hair, places me under the dryer for about 15 minutes then uses a comb attachment to blow out my hair and then she hot curls my hair. She suggested not to use a lot of products on my hair, just roll it up at night and comb it out in the morning. I must say that my hair is really looking good. I do wash my hair at home once a week and then follow her regimine expect that I use creme press on my hair every night and roll my hair. Once I get my hands on a camera I will be taking pictures. In addition, I have almost no breakage. The next time I go I will get a touch - up at the 8 week point, so I will do a protein treatment before I go in.

Hi Everyone!!

I dont think i will make brastrap by the end of this year, but i have had good growth..

I am about 8 weeks post....trying to make it to 16 but i have a lot of newgrowth and i dont know if i am going ot make it.

I have been co-washing more!! which has been a godsent...still using mtg/essential oil mix, NTM products for my poo and co-washes...and BBD stretch as a reconstructer with heat.

I have some updated pictures http://public.fotki.com/Dangerously...e/sgo_update_3/

asphyxxia said:
I've just taken out my sew-in weave after 6 weeks and i'm very pleased with the results! My ends are healthy and my hair is growing well. I am aiming to be at the bottom of shoulder blades by the end of december (nape only). I have had no setbacks so far though i've trimmed the front of my hair cause it really needed it. Fotki updated today:
http://public.fotki.com/asphyxxia2005/haircare/2005/progress/

http://public.fotki.com/asphyxxia2005/haircare/2005/hairstyles/
Wow, you've made excellent progress.

i've had tons of setbacks this year but i'm still on course for brastrap by the end of this year i had a sew in that was inspired by DSD:) but since it was just an experiment i only left it in for a week,im planning on getting another one and just letting my hair be .

DSD,

I noticed that you're using your MTG while wearing a sew-in. I'm trying to do that but I'm having pure problems. I apply the MTG to my scalp but no matter what I do, my hair ends up oily! It makes my style look very limp, oily, and that's not a good look. How do you manage to do both (MTG and sew-in)? Do you apply MTG at night and shampoo your hair in the morning? Do tell :)

dontspeakdefeat said:
Hi Ladies! :wave:

It time to post your progress for month 7 of the SGO Challenge.

I have to say that this year has been a year of major setbacks for me and I am not on target to reach brastrap anytime soon but I am hanging in there. I need to rethink what I am doing with my hair and just go back to basics. My hair loves the basics. I also need to be more gentle with my hair because my ends are so fragile. I would like to get to my goal with strong healthy ends.

I am currently wearing a sew in weave and I will keep this in at least 2 more weeks for a total of 5 weeks. I am using my MTG 3 times a week and I just wash my hair as needed. Everything seems to be going pretty good.

What about everyone else??

Hello everyone,

checking in....currently wearing braided bantu knots....
I am irrigating my scalp daily with straight water, I use a nozzle tip applicator bottle
I apply either conditioner or oil on the ends of my hair and that's it....
it is softer...still growing...
I have to update my album soon ;)

seems as if my growth rate has slowed down. I still do the protective styles like 2x twists and cornrows. I just ordered Lenzi's request and I will soon order MTG.

@Shariracquel-I am so glad to hear that your hair is doing well and continues to remain thick despite the hair loss. The hair loss is probably just the usually shedding you would get if your hair wasn't tied up. Good Luck stretching your relaxer until December!!

@LadyR-Sounds like you have found a gem of a hairdresser. I am glad to hear your hair is thriving inspite of the heat use. HHG

@D-shy- Don't worry about not making it to brastrap. Just retain as much length as you can. You will get there with patience and consistency. I have to tell myself that often. You hair looks great too!

@Bronzehair-I am glad that you tried a sewn in. The very first sew in I did on myself I also took out in a week. I made so many mistakes the first time. I have learned so much since then though. You next sewn will be better too. Glad to hear you are on course for brastrap!! Good Luck.

@Asphyxxia-Your hair is coming along quite nicely. You had made tremendous progress. It's getting longer and it looks great!! Keep up the good work!

@SweetNic J-I generally only shampoo my hair on an as need basis now. Sometimes it can be once a week sometimes once every three, It depends on how the style begins to look after a while. I apply my MTG with the smallest applicator tip and I use it very sparingly. I probably only use about 1/2 ounce or less for my entire head. I then massage it in. I generally use the MTG 2-3 times a week. You have to pay close attention to get it on the scalp only because it will weigh the hair down. I usuall apply it in the morning so by the time I get to bed it has absorbed.

@AllAboutTheHair- I am so glad to hear that your hair is growing and doing so well!! HHG

@Alli77-Keep doing your protective styles. The MTG should help with the growth rate. Just stay consistent and your hair will probably suprise you!! HHG

I'm making the same ole report! :ohwell: My hair is doing fine. No splits, no breakage, just the normal shedding which MSM seems to have slowed for me. I love the shine and the thickness.

HOWEVER, my hair refuses to make it to bra strap. Its just hovering over my bra strap like its afraid to go past it. I was hoping to be bra strap by June but that came and went. :ohwell: I got a touch up last week and this is the first time in a long time that it went exactly the way it was supposed to. So I'm very happy about that. I'm still on the fence about if I should post pics. I feel like I've made no progress. I see braids in my near future.

Maybe next month will be better.

This past month, I only used heat once or twice (vs. weekly), did some cw's which I don't usually do, added Sulfur 8 to my regimen and wore my hair in a bun a lot and I was pleased with the results. I gained some length (almost an inch) but more so my hair 'filled in' a lot at the nape. My hair does not feel as thick as normal though b/c I used Revlon instead of my beloved Phyto, but w/ protein treatments/ conditioners it's getting back to normal. I'm getting lots of compliments on the growth. I started out above chin length (February) and am on target for true shoulder length hair by the end of this year. I'm planning to keep it in a bun for the next month or so, with plenty of cw's b/c I will be coloring between now and the next relaxer and want it to be really healthy.

I think I'm on this challenge. the hair seems to be doing pretty good. right now i'm letting it rest for the sake of no maintenance. I'm about to start taking biotin. Out of curiosity mainly, but alas, I'm still seeking that brastrap. :)

My poor hair has been sorely neglected. I still sleep on a satin pillowcase but I wasn't covering it otherwise, was washing a little less than once a week.
Yesterday I did a pre-poo with honey, almond oil and coconut oil and it was wonderful! My hair is feeling soft instead of brittle. So I have plans to go back to actually taking care of my hair because the straw thing was not cute.
My breakage hasn't stopped, but the pieces seem to be getting shorter, which is some progress at least. :lol: I may end up cutting 1.5 inches off before december just so I can stop seeing this darn breakage. No change in thickness though.
My goal is to have my hair about an inch longer than it is now at the end of December with no breakage.

For a long time, my hair was passed nape length, it was getting thicker, but it refused to get any longer, however, I have started using my supplements again, also I am using sulphur mixed in my hair promades and spray. Also I have just purchased Black castor oil, which I received on Saturday and I was waiting for the trial size MTG any time soon. Hopefully, I should be also getting more length.

Everything is going good over here. I am 8 weeks post relaxer and I'm wearing cornrows in order to get to the 12 week mark. I have so much newgrowth and shrinkage that I don't know how much my hair has grown. I'm only 2 inches away from my first goal which is right above shoulder blades. I've been using MTG and I'm hoping to see some good results with that. I'm still taking my vitamins (multi,msm,flaxseed oil,) and my protein shakes. I'm drinking my water although not as much as I should. I need to step it up.

Hey DSD! :wave:

The summertime hasn't been very kind to me in the growth department. I am going to be 9 weeks post relaxer on Fri. I only have 1.5 inch of newgrowth! I am so SAD :cry3:. But I have been forgetting to take my vitamins here and there and I don't really use my MTG as much as I should. I think I have only used it like 3 times in like a month and a half. For some reason though I grow more hair toward the end of my stretching?? I have to step it up if I at least want to be at the bottom of armpit by Dec 2005. That is my goal. I hope I can make it. From now until I get to 12 weeks post....I will use my MTG faithfully at 3 times a week.:D

I gave myself a trim and tried a new french twist braidout! (Pics coming soon!) Forgive me but I will be jumping on the Dominican bandwagon and I plan on investing on a number of items on sickbay! Hehe I'm so excited!

I looked back at what I said for month 6 and discovered that I've almost done everything I said I was going to do :lol: I haven't been exercising, which is something I had planned on. I really need to try harder...I'm just so...lazy :lol:

I am drinking lots more water, though. And instead of buying new vitamins I rounded up the leftovers I had of biotin and skin eternal plus, and have rationed the pills out so that I will be done with them by the time I do my next picture comparison. In the meantime I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to use after that.

I'm really hoping I can get the front of my hair as close to shoulder length as possible by the end of the year, so I'm going to be focusing my attention on making sure I retain length in the front. But my goal for my next progress pic update (in about 2 and a half weeks) is to have retained 1.75 inches over the 2 month period since my last update. *crossing fingers* :D

I'm still here. Switch to a natural product regime, no problem there (hair actually love the stuffs). I'm at week 8 and can still do neat buns, which is a first. Tried three times this weekend to do my braids but had much problems (I just wasn't feeling it, dunno why). I don't know how I'm going to stretch to 14/23 weeks. I've never gone more than 8 weeks without getting my hair braided or cornrows. Don't want to go to a professional because I'm afraid of losing my hairline again. But it's all good, I'm trying to not focus on my hair so much anymore, it's starting to drive me crazy. :lol:

Progress has been very slow but I am hanging in there. I am currently in brraids (cornrows). I promised myself to do braids until December. I am trying a six month stretch.

Hi everyone

DSD, I hope you'll find a method to help with getting your ends healthy again.

My hair has been doing very well. I'm currently keeping a log of all the products I use and why or why not I like them because I frequently forget, and may end up buying them again. I'm now 6 weeks post relaxer and have been using Sulphur 8 for the last 2 weeks and it has made my new growth very soft and my itching (from eczema) has reduced to almost none.

I have also found shea butter to be a wonderful moisturiser so I'm thinking of getting some from nasabb if they are open. My ends look great whenver I rollerset so I'm doing that weekly even though I'm terrible at it, then I'll flat iron the roots. Hopefully all will continue to go well for the rest of the year.

asphyxxia said:
I've just taken out my sew-in weave after 6 weeks and i'm very pleased with the results! My ends are healthy and my hair is growing well. I am aiming to be at the bottom of shoulder blades by the end of december (nape only). I have had no setbacks so far though i've trimmed the front of my hair cause it really needed it. Fotki updated today:
http://public.fotki.com/asphyxxia2005/haircare/2005/progress/

http://public.fotki.com/asphyxxia2005/haircare/2005/hairstyles/

Great progress girl! What's your regimen?

checking in...

I'm still without a relaxer, over 6 months post. I hope to have decided within this month whether or not I"ll relax or officially transition. Currently using a sulfur oil mixture, my MTG alternative. I started almost a month ago so I plan to post one month comparison shots real soon. I have some products I want to get first before I take the photos though. Ummm, did a trim last month and it looks like my hair grew back from the March cut.

Checking in:wave:....
caving in to the creamy crack Phyto hit on Saturday at 15 weeks....

I won't have a true idea of my progress from April until then.
I'm scurred to say it....I think it grew a lil.

DSD, I will be calling on your trained eye in a week or two for feedback.

I know that I have to stop worrying about making armpit by the end of the year (although I want to...:ohwell: ) and focus on my hair being healthy and my ends being correct.

checking in... on schedule... havent taken pics in a while been too busy with work... started taking the vitatress vitamins today will update later...

monister

I haven't check in a forever, but my hair is doing really well. It's growing really quickly, I haven't staightened it in forever but it looks like I'll be reaching my goal and maybe bypassing brastrap by December 31. I have been wearing half wigs as my protective style and keeping it moisturized.

I'm not going to make it to brastrap, but my hair is getting back on track after I was set back not too long ago. I haven't been as consistent as I would have liked with my vitamins, but I have been using my growth products (Frenchee's, Glover's, Lenzi's Request) more often. My hair is currently in a sewn-in weave right now and I plan on getting it redone when school starts again. If my hair gets a couple inches past my shoulders, I will be happy at the end of December.

Back