Super Grow Out Challenge **Update Month 2**

Lilpretty1125

I am so excited about this website and my new challenge!

1. My hair type seems to be 4a/b
2. I have various lengths right now - short on sides (bottom of ear) back is
to the bottom of my neck and the top and front is about medium length.
3. My hair is actually growing due to wearing a sew in weave (I have a lot of new growth) but the permed ends are steady splitting and shedding. I'm trying to decide if I want to transition to natural completely or if I want to either relax or texturize and extend my applications. If so, I need a regimine that will help me to handle both textures.
4. Some of the products that I currently use are:
Suave (Humectress) conditioner and shampoo,
Neutrogena (hair mask)
Infusium 23 (Leave-in)
Evoo
Surge 14 (I just started using a week ago - I've been spraying my braids)
Motions (shampoo and conditioner)
Biolage (shampoo and conditioner) generic

At this time, I'm just looking for a tried and true way to attain some length - I have type 4a/b hair and I know that everyone woman with that type hair share the same problems as I do when it comes to trying to grow it out and stretching perms. I started braiding it up and wearing a sew-in weave about a year ago (during my pregnancy) and when I took out the braids my hair was so full, thick and healthy - and what did I do (yep! I relaxed it!!!!!) At the time, this seemed like a great idea because my hair seemed pretty healthy and it was a pretty decent length. However, over time, it started shedding, thinning, etc. So basically, I'm starting all over again and would like to try to go natural, but if not hopefully with the help of the wonderful women in this forum I can care for my relaxed hair and attain a healthy length.

So in conclusion, I'm definitely up for the challenge!! Let's get growing...............

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Chakira said:
Frustrated! I may have barely gotten an inch sinc January. I've been rocking a sew in for the past 4 weeks and I plan to take it out in probably 3 weeks so I'll measure it then. I'm doing the CO washes every other day with either daily defense's tender apple or main and tail. I've been slacking on the vitamins though, I need to get back on track with that and my water intake.

Next month will be better, maybe I have that hair anorexia?
You probably got more newgrowth than you think considering you can't measure fully while in a sewn in. You will probably be in for a big suprise.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
pink_flower said:
Im happy with my progress! Lets see..

-I self-relaxed for the first time at 10 weeks(even tho' I was shooting for 12). I did the half and half method and my top half is a little underprocessed but I didn't expect perfection my first time around. I feel confident I'll get the results I want next time. I also plan to stick with relaxing every 10 weeks.

-I've also been pretty consistent with my regimen, I rollerset and flat iron my roots only 1-2x a week. I found I loose way less hair this way.

-Oh I also did a Sebastions cellophane! It's really pretty- I didn't expect anything dramatic but several people have commented on my reddish color. It's also super shiny too- I can almost always skip my serum when I do a set.

- Finally my hair reaches the very top of my bra. It took FOREVER and I'm still not satisfied. I would like my hair to reach bra strap when its curled, so my new goal may just be bottom of bra strap. I also plan to concentrate on my sides a little more, since I have many layers. :ohwell:

I updated my album too..
Your color is really pretty!! Girl you are almost there.

I am so glad that you are staying on the right track. HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Chicoro said:
I have been wearing a bun and doing the baggie method since the beginning of this challenge. I haven't looked at my hair. I have learned that I MUST do a pre-shampoo treatment with oil. It helps with my comb-out.

I am feeling a bit frumpy and plain with this bun right about now! But then I think about my goal of trying to grow my hair past the small of my back for the first time and I keep hanging in there.

So far so good.
Girl, I feel your pain. Just keep hanging in there. you will be enjoying the fruits of your labor real soon!! Good Luck!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
RachelL said:
I'm happy with my progress. I've added a couple of pics to the Super Grow Out folder of my album. I'm inching closer to bra-strap. I've been working out everyday lately so I made a few adjustments to my regimen. So far, it's been going well, but I guess the true test will be when I get close to touch-up time. But so far so good.
Girl, your hair is growing like weeds. Wow, you have made amazing progress in two months. You grow girl!!:cool:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Lilpretty1125 said:
I am so excited about this website and my new challenge!

1. My hair type seems to be 4a/b
2. I have various lengths right now - short on sides (bottom of ear) back is
to the bottom of my neck and the top and front is about medium length.
3. My hair is actually growing due to wearing a sew in weave (I have a lot of new growth) but the permed ends are steady splitting and shedding. I'm trying to decide if I want to transition to natural completely or if I want to either relax or texturize and extend my applications. If so, I need a regimine that will help me to handle both textures.
4. Some of the products that I currently use are:
Suave (Humectress) conditioner and shampoo,
Neutrogena (hair mask)
Infusium 23 (Leave-in)
Evoo
Surge 14 (I just started using a week ago - I've been spraying my braids)
Motions (shampoo and conditioner)
Biolage (shampoo and conditioner) generic

At this time, I'm just looking for a tried and true way to attain some length - I have type 4a/b hair and I know that everyone woman with that type hair share the same problems as I do when it comes to trying to grow it out and stretching perms. I started braiding it up and wearing a sew-in weave about a year ago (during my pregnancy) and when I took out the braids my hair was so full, thick and healthy - and what did I do (yep! I relaxed it!!!!!) At the time, this seemed like a great idea because my hair seemed pretty healthy and it was a pretty decent length. However, over time, it started shedding, thinning, etc. So basically, I'm starting all over again and would like to try to go natural, but if not hopefully with the help of the wonderful women in this forum I can care for my relaxed hair and attain a healthy length.

So in conclusion, I'm definitely up for the challenge!! Let's get growing...............
Hi LilPretty, welcome. I saw in your other post that you wanted to join the newcomer's club. That's fine. You are welcome to join hear too.

I will copy and past your information in the newcomer's club thread so everyone can see it there. Happy Hair Growing to you!

dejaomare

hi everyone. I have had an opportunity to take any pics but I will.. I"m also on the no checking length challenge and we have about 37 days left and then we are measuring so that is when i will take a pic of my progress. I've been using pure rosemary oil on my hair line to get it to grow back and I'm having much better progress with that then Surge and Nexus Biotin. I put a little in the morning and evening. It smellls horrid but it is for a good cause.

Happy Growing.

Shariracquel

I thought I checked in already but according to the stars by my name I have not checked in this month at all. But my hair is going good, I got a mini mini trim on Monday - pics are in my album. I think its getting real good now, I love it. And I've gotten close to and inch of growth in 6 weeks and that is without taking any type of supplements, just taking care of it and going to them dominicans to help me stretch longer

shelli4018

My ends have improved so I'm beginning to see my progress alot more. However, I've had 1 minor setback. All winter I've been pulling my hair back in a low puff or phonytail. Well, it wreaked havoc on my edgesI I definitely have to find another everyday hairstyle. I suppose any style you wear non-stop could cause damage. So maybe I need to mix it up a bit. In the meantime, I'll be Surging!!

babyblue

so far my hair is doing ok. I trimmed over an inch a little over a month ago so whatever growth i got just made up for what i trimmed off, but then again since i am an unofficial member of the no checking lenght challenge i havent really stretched to check out lenght yet. It may be my imagination but my hair seems to be getting thicker and heavier. been wearing mostly twists and twist outs lately. I had a little shedding spell as i usually do every winter but thats normal for me. Otherwise winter hasnt been that bad for me this year because i have been using my humidifier when indoors, keep up with moisturizing daily and i wrap my hair in a satin scarf under hats to prevent friction, so i've been able to avoid extremely dry ends.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
desperategirlie34 said:
hi everyone. I have had an opportunity to take any pics but I will.. I"m also on the no checking length challenge and we have about 37 days left and then we are measuring so that is when i will take a pic of my progress. I've been using pure rosemary oil on my hair line to get it to grow back and I'm having much better progress with that then Surge and Nexus Biotin. I put a little in the morning and evening. It smellls horrid but it is for a good cause.

Happy Growing.
Wonderful to hear!! Hopefully we can see some pics soon!! HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Shariracquel said:
I thought I checked in already but according to the stars by my name I have not checked in this month at all. But my hair is going good, I got a mini mini trim on Monday - pics are in my album. I think its getting real good now, I love it. And I've gotten close to and inch of growth in 6 weeks and that is without taking any type of supplements, just taking care of it and going to them dominicans to help me stretch longer
I am elated to hear you are making such wonderful progress! HHG

You did!! Here's your original post. It's just an overlook on my part. Thanks for letting me know. I will put your star next to your name!!

Shariracquel said:
Hi, its me again checking in for this month, my hair is doing fine I think, I get it blown out every week so I really do not see the difference until I do some comparison pictures which I will not do until May. I think my hair is growing though, but I have not measured it. Um, I have pictures in my album that I recently put up last week, I will post another pic for the month or March though.

Check out my profile, you will see the link to my album, and my password is dimples.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
shelli4018 said:
My ends have improved so I'm beginning to see my progress alot more. However, I've had 1 minor setback. All winter I've been pulling my hair back in a low puff or phonytail. Well, it wreaked havoc on my edgesI I definitely have to find another everyday hairstyle. I suppose any style you wear non-stop could cause damage. So maybe I need to mix it up a bit. In the meantime, I'll be Surging!!
I am glad to hear that your ends have improved. Sorry to hear about your edges. Treat them with tlc and they will be back to normal before you know it!! You have to make sure to moisturized those type of hairstyles a lot especially at the point of the stress. Good Luck to you!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
babyblue said:
so far my hair is doing ok. I trimmed over an inch a little over a month ago so whatever growth i got just made up for what i trimmed off, but then again since i am an unofficial member of the no checking lenght challenge i havent really stretched to check out lenght yet. It may be my imagination but my hair seems to be getting thicker and heavier. been wearing mostly twists and twist outs lately. I had a little shedding spell as i usually do every winter but thats normal for me. Otherwise winter hasnt been that bad for me this year because i have been using my humidifier when indoors, keep up with moisturizing daily and i wrap my hair in a satin scarf under hats to prevent friction, so i've been able to avoid extremely dry ends.
Your hair is gorgeous. You are doing very well by it! It think the longer it gets the heavier it feels so that means you are getting closer to your goal. I can't wait to see how long it is!! Keep up the good work!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
angellazette said:
What do the stars next to our names represent?
They represent each month you check in. Everyone doesn't check in everymonth so everyone doesn't have the same amount of stars. If I have forgotten a star by anyone's name please feel free to let me know!!

Ashee

dontspeakdefeat said:
They represent each month you check in. Everyone doesn't check in everymonth so everyone doesn't have the same amount of stars. If I have forgotten a star by anyone's name please feel free to let me know!!

Is this the same as the Newcomer's Growing Out Club? :confused:

shelli4018

dontspeakdefeat said:
I am glad to hear that your ends have improved. Sorry to hear about your edges. Treat them with tlc and they will be back to normal before you know it!! You have to make sure to moisturized those type of hairstyles a lot especially at the point of the stress. Good Luck to you!!

Well, turns out my hair loss is post partum shedding. Not sure if there's anything I can do about it. I may just have to wait it out. I've been giving it a little TLC and luckily it seems to be slowing down.

hottopic

What I am doing:
-I worn my hair out for 2 weeks, but moisturize the ends everyday.
-Right now I am 8 weeks post relaxer, I am aiming for 12 weeks.
-I have not used direct heat in 4 months...When I do go under the drier I put the setting on cool..
-Plaits at bed time then wrap a silk scarf on my head
-C/O wash 2 times a week and shampoo, then deep condition once per week
-Taking alot of pictures (i love my camera)
-Air drying with sylver2 scarf method.....when I have time a home to do so. If I want to air dry and go somewhere I put my hair in 2 ponies :antlers: and go....
-drinking lots of water

What I stopped doing:
-I stopped doing braids
-being consistant with protective styles.
-combing the hair often...I only comb my hair when it is wet and well conditioned.
-taking my hair vitamins
-buying new products everytime the wind blows. :lol:
-stressing over hair. Taking care of it is now second nature.

What I Need to do:

-I need to surge everyday
-place my hair back in braids and sew in weave
-wear baggies styles
- start taking vitamins

All in all the progress is slow this time. Not like when I first started taking care of my hair. And it grew like crazy. I hardly have any shredding.

Last edited:

Chin

My hair is pretty much been the same ever since the last time I posted pictures. I really don't have a set regimen to follow right now.I just been washing my hair with Creme of Nature. Instead of using Sulfur8, I'm using Frenchee. Hopely I will get alot of growth with it. If not I'm going to throw it away because I can't stand the smell of this stuff. I will post more pics at the end of the month like I usually do.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Ashee said:
Is this the same as the Newcomer's Growing Out Club? :confused:
No it isn't but you may join this too! This challenge is for everyone who wants to retain the most growth they can for the year. We are focusing on consistency to help us get there.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
shelli4018 said:
Well, turns out my hair loss is post partum shedding. Not sure if there's anything I can do about it. I may just have to wait it out. I've been giving it a little TLC and luckily it seems to be slowing down.
Post pardum shedding will make you go crazy. It will slow down after a while. Just keep babying your hair.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
hottopic said:
What I am doing:
-I worn my hair out for 2 weeks, but moisturize the ends everyday.
-Right now I am 8 weeks post relaxer, I am aiming for 12 weeks.
-I have not used direct heat in 4 months...When I do go under the drier I put the setting on cool..
-Plaits at bed time then wrap a silk scarf on my head
-C/O wash 2 times a week and shampoo, then deep condition once per week
-Taking alot of pictures (i love my camera)
-Air drying with sylver2 scarf method.....when I have time a home to do so. If I want to air dry and go somewhere I put my hair in 2 ponies :antlers: and go....
-drinking lots of water

What I stopped doing:
-I stopped doing braids
-being consistant with protective styles.
-combing the hair often...I only comb my hair when it is wet and well conditioned.
-taking my hair vitamins
-buying new products everytime the wind blows. :lol:
-stressing over hair. Taking care of it is now second nature.

What I Need to do:
-I need to surge everyday
-place my hair back in braids and sew in weave
-wear baggies styles
- start taking vitamins

All in all the progress is slow this time. Not like when I first started taking care of my hair. And it grew like crazy. I hardly have any shredding.
Sounds like you are doing great!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Princess_Teearra said:
My hair is pretty much been the same ever since the last time I posted pictures. I really don't have a set regimen to follow right now.I just been washing my hair with Creme of Nature. Instead of using Sulfur8, I'm using Frenchee. Hopely I will get alot of growth with it. If not I'm going to throw it away because I can't stand the smell of this stuff. I will post more pics at the end of the month like I usually do.
Good Luck using the Frenchee. I hope you get plenty of growth from it!!

Shawnee66

I'm checking in for this month because I forgot. I bought a new flatiron and have been going crazy with it. I'm 12 weeks post relaxed and I find that if I flatiron I can style my hair. I bought Kuz hair-loss preventive shampoo and conditioner, I really like this line it made my hair very soft. I was able to comb it with the conditioner in with almost no breakage. I think I will use this product once a week. I also started to condition wash my hair once a week (Wednesday or Thursday) and shampoo on Sundays. I'm hoping the condition washes will help the minor breakage I'm experiencing.