Super Grow Out Challenge **Update Month 2**

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hi Ladies!! :wave:

We had made it to month 2 of the SGO challenge. Boy does time fly.

It's time for everyone to update. If you have questions, or pictures share them here.

So let's start checking in. How is everyone doing??

My hair is doing well. It has grown back from the trim I did back in January!! I am staying consistent. I wash my hair at least once a week and I have been faithfully wearing my baggie with the exception of a week I took off because my husband needed to see some hair. He couldn't keep his hands out of it either!!

Remember this challenge is not about how much hair you grow. It's about how much you retain. It's also about giving your hair that TLC it needs and being consistent doing it!!

Good Luck to all and Happy Hair Growing!!:)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
A-L

19sweetie*
Aalize*
Alee
AllAboutTheHair**
Alli77**
Alliyah4eva203
Allmine*
Angel54
Angelbaby*
AngelK316*
Angellazette**
Auntybe*
Arabianprincess
Aerie17*
Asha
AudraChanell*
Ayeshia*
BabyBlue*
Babygurl*
BahamaMama*
BaileysCream*
Bajanplums
Ballet Bun*
Belleza
Beloved1*
BklynHeart
Bkmaryland
Blackcardinal
Blackrapunzel
Bluewatersoul**
Boadicea*
Bocagirl**
Bronxchic
Bronzegoddess
Bronzehair*
Brownhaired Bonanza
Brwnsug20*
Bronwsugarbabe**
Camille429*
Candibaby**
CantBeCopied*
Caramel
Carameldiva**
Carameldlite
Caramelty*
Carletta
Carlie**
Catsuga*
Cece22
Chakira*
Champagne Wishes*
CharUK
Chaya*
ChiChi
Chichikinks*
Chicomorena*
Chicoro**
Chipmunk
Chocokitty**
Chocolat79
Choqlat
ChosenByGod**
Cincysweetie**
Corbins
Covagirlm**
Cowgirl**
Cutebajangirl**
Dangerouslyshy**
DatJerseyDyme**
Daughter**
Delightfulflame
Desperategirlie34**
Destinee**
Dion**
Divastate
Divine*
Dolapo
Doll
Dontspeakdefeat**
Dreemssold*
Eboniefaerie**
EbonyEyes*
Egytiansand16*
Ehj
Erica78*
EssentialGrowth*
Ethiokee
Faith
Flowerhair
Genesis
GinaG
Good2uuuu
Growingitlong**
Hairlover*
Hair2day*
Hiza
HondaHoney007
Honeisos
Hopeful*
Hotshot*
Hottopic**
ICandey
Ishevonne
Itismehmmkay*
Jaded Faerie**
Jasmin**
Jellynote*
Joi
JusticeWifey
Kaddy
Kammie
Kedra70*
Keen
Kengne
Keylargo*
Kinikini2
Kizzylonghair*
Kombov Dymond
Labett**
LadyChe**
LadyR*
LadyZ*
Laina7777
Laketta*
LaNecia**
LeggyLana
Leontyneb**
LeslieC
Lili*
Lindy*
LionQueen
Londondiva*
Lonsomedove
Love2praz
Lovelymissyoli*
Lovelyness**
Lshevonne**
Luvlonghair
Lveurslf
Lynxdiva*

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
M-Z

Mahogany329
Maibabie**
Mariaat40**
MeccaMedinah
MegonW**
Melodee**
MelsWifey
Mighty Isis*
Miss Jetsetter
Missdiva**
Missenm*
Misshoney2u**
Misspriss
MizAvalon*
Mochalolita
Monalisa**
Monister**
Mrslee**
Ms Kenesha*
Msincognito*
Mytialpn
Mz Complexity*
MzJones*
MzLatisha
Nappyme*
Naptrl*
Natalie76*
Natalied*
Needmyhairtogrow
NewYorkgryl**
Nfynit 812
NGC*
Nova*
NurseN98
Nymphe
Nyrican**
Oglorious1
OneBlessedRN
Onepraying*
Overnightcelebrity*
Paperdoll**
Pink Flower**
PinkLily
Poetess232**
Poohbear**
Porsche19*
Princess Teearra*
Princess4real*
Puddles
BabiaElaine*
Rachel*
RachelL**
Redeemed56
Reformatio**
Rushgirl
Sade7**
SandySea**
Sapphire**
Sascha
Sdumasw*
Sengschick
SexyC*
Sharee**
Shariracquel**
Shawnee66*
Shawniegee**
Shellie4018**
Shellzfoshizzle*
SherryLove*
Sillygurl18
Simplycee**
Singingstar*
Skegeesmb*
Sky83
SNyeema*
Softresses**
Southern Girl
SpicedT*
SplashAtl
Stacy
Star*
Stormy
Sugaplum**
Sugarsweet**
SVT*
Swannie
Sweetcakes14**
Sweetest Honey
Sweetpeadst**
Syoulee1
Tai*
Taij
Tamala*
Tene**
Tess1913
TJD3*
Tigerlily
Topazz
Tracy
Tru Mind
TSAngel
Umsumayyah*
Val1212
Valerie
Victory1
Vikkisecret**
Waterchylde*
Whipeffectz1
Whosthatgurl**
Wildchild543**
Winniebread*
YummyC**
Zanibardotcom**
Zora

Last edited:

Height

It seems like am at a standstill. I'm currently using a protevetive style weave. It looks like it maybe time for surge.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've been going up and down with my hair since I'm transitioning. I don't have a regime anymore! :grin: I'm still growing out my hair but I'm going to get a cut today. I can't hang on to these thin ends any longer. I want to grow it out fresh. Since my relaxed hair is going to be cut off in the future anyway, I don't think it will hurt. I know with the help of this forum, I can achiever long healthy hair in the future! :yep:

DatJerseyDyme

Don't really have much to report. Been laying off the protein a little because my hair was feeling a little dry. Airdrying and washing once a week is a bad idea for my hair, but I've been doing it out of sheer laziness! I should be getting a relaxer in 2 weeks or so (around week 13) and I could not be happier. If it wasn't for wanting a fresh relaxer for spring break, I would have relaxed at week 10. My hair is all over the freakin place and sooo not cute. Washing with all this newgrowth is a pain. I washed last night, and think I'll wash again on Thursday (to avoid massive tangles), and then do a rollerset and protein wash on Sunday to get ready for my relaxer and trim! YAY! Right now, my hair is below b/s, with my relaxer and trim, I hope to be right at brastrap. Will update pics in a few weeks and let you ladies know.

Cowgirl

Hi ladies. Happy 2nd month growing. :D

I don't think I've seen that much growth, so I'm just trying to retain what I have. I still seem to be shedding/breaking more than what I think is normal, but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's normal for me. :mad:

I just do not seem to be one of those people that can only have 3 or 4 hairs in the comb. Regardless of what I do. I'm still updating/moving my album to Fotki and hope to have those up soon.

Have a great month everyone. :kiss:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
zanzibardotcom said:
It seems like am at a standstill. I'm currently using a protevetive style weave. It looks like it maybe time for surge.

You probably aren't. Remember when its cold growth rates tend to slow down some. I think a weave is a great way to give you hair and rest...and you can't watch your progress while it's all under weave. Everyone says that Surge helps and if you feel you need to do it, Go for it!! HHG

Poohbear said:
I've been going up and down with my hair since I'm transitioning. I don't have a regime anymore! :grin: I'm still growing out my hair but I'm going to get a cut today. I can't hang on to these thin ends any longer. I want to grow it out fresh. Since my relaxed hair is going to be cut off in the future anyway, I don't think it will hurt. I know with the help of this forum, I can achiever long healthy hair in the future! :yep:
That sound like a great idea. Do you mean the Big Chop! :look: Good Luck to you!

DatJerseyDyme said:
Don't really have much to report. Been laying off the protein a little because my hair was feeling a little dry. Airdrying and washing once a week is a bad idea for my hair, but I've been doing it out of sheer laziness! I should be getting a relaxer in 2 weeks or so (around week 13) and I could not be happier. If it wasn't for wanting a fresh relaxer for spring break, I would have relaxed at week 10. My hair is all over the freakin place and sooo not cute. Washing with all this newgrowth is a pain. I washed last night, and think I'll wash again on Thursday (to avoid massive tangles), and then do a rollerset and protein wash on Sunday to get ready for my relaxer and trim! YAY! Right now, my hair is below b/s, with my relaxer and trim, I hope to be right at brastrap. Will update pics in a few weeks and let you ladies know.
Wow!! That's plenty to report!! I can't wait to hear your relaxer updates. Getting brastrap is such a wonderful thing!! You grow girl!:)

star

My hair is doing very well I am about 1 inch a month. I am going to be positng my picutres every 2-3 months. Still working on this. Overall I am very pleased with the outcome. :)

Products:
Surge - Leave in
UBH conditioner and UBH leave in
Humeto - Shampoo & Conditioner
Eluence - Shampoo & Conditioner

Wash & Condtion 2x week
Heavy Protien 4-6 weeks
Relaxer -Affrim every 8-12 weeks

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Cowgirl said:
Hi ladies. Happy 2nd month growing. :D

I don't think I've seen that much growth, so I'm just trying to retain what I have. I still seem to be shedding/breaking more than what I think is normal, but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's normal for me. :mad:

I just do not seem to be one of those people that can only have 3 or 4 hairs in the comb. Regardless of what I do. I'm still updating/moving my album to Fotki and hope to have those up soon.

Have a great month everyone. :kiss:

You are so sweet!

I think we all suffering a little more shedding and breakage in the winter months. It is so cold and it's hard to keep your hair protected from the elements. I think once it warms up your hair will come around.

Can't wait to see the new Fotki album!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
star said:
My hair is doing very well I am about 1 inch a month. I am going to be positng my picutres every 2-3 months. Still working on this. Overall I am very pleased with the outcome. :)

Products:
Surge - Leave in
UBH conditioner and UBH leave in
Humeto - Shampoo & Conditioner
Eluence - Shampoo & Conditioner

Wash & Condtion 2x week
Heavy Protien 4-6 weeks
Relaxer -Affrim every 8-12 weeks

Wow!! An inch a month is wonderful!! Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see the pics.

melodee

I'm not doing so well. I have super dry hair, could be a number of reasons. I have breaking thin hair in some areas near my face. But the dryness is just incredible. It's still slowly growing though, and the breakage isn't enough to warrant a chop. So I'm hanging in there I guess.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
dontspeakdefeat said:
That sound like a great idea. Do you mean the Big Chop! :look: Good Luck to you!
No, not the big chop quite yet! ;) I plan on doing that sometime between April - October of next year. I'm just going to trim off some of these raggedy ends. :cool:

monister

Hmm my hair seems to be doing okay... I've posted some new pictures Monister's Updates password: babygirl ...

I currently conrowed my hair myself into about 5 or so because I plan on getting cornrows with extensions sometime this week and it will be easier for my friend who's braiding it to braid with my hair stretched out. I'll take pictures of my hair stretched and the pictures of the finished hair...

I have been consistent with my daily conditioner washes and weekly shampoos and deep conditioning but I slipped up on my vitamins but I'm back on track...

OOh I forgot to mention, I attempted to flat-iron my hair. Basically what I did what run the flat iron over the sections once or twice, so it did get straight but 'straight with body' not bone straight... I discovered that its almost the length of my relaxed hair before cutting (not that my hair was long) but i didnt take pictures :( .... will take some next time i attempt that...

Monister

Last edited:

Tene

My hair has been doing great, I just continue to be consistent with my regimen. I keep my hair washed and conditioned every week. I do my light protein once a week and heavy every 6 weeks or so. I don't use heat I just let my hair airdry and then I pin it up. All I think I need to do is get my hair trimmed cause I haven't had it trimmed in about 4 months. But it won't be that much that needs to be trimmed.

PaperDoll

~the original~
Let's see, since the last update I've:
  • gotten a touch up, the next one will be 5/13 (13 weeks)
  • managed to use very little heat, only when I go to the salon (every 2 wks)
  • had a major cut done to even out my ends [ :( and :) ]
  • realized my hair loves the steamer :lol: , so I'm working on buying one
Right now I'm working on:
  • retaining length, I had highlights added in December and have noticed more dryness than usual, along with some breakage
  • finding a good daily moisturizer and strengthener
  • determining why I have seen very little growth and what I can do to improve that besides going back to my beloved sewn-ins
  • learning to roller set
  • growing out my bangs and sides

Last edited:

lowkeyhomie

Not much to report. I relaxed back in Feb. with Revlon Realistic relaxer in regular and it didn't leave me underprocessed :) . I've been rollersetting my hair every weekend letting it airdry with good results. The only thing I can not fix though is my shedding. I know its normal to shed x amount of hairs a day, but it seems like I'm shedding a bit too much. Last night I was putting some mango butter in my hair and everytime I would run my fingers through, there would be a small ball hair in my hands.

DangerouslyShy

Not much to report here either...Iam trying to stretch my relaxer as long as i can but dag its getting hard with my newgrowth....My last relaxer was January 7th...Im trying to at least wait until March 27....

I been wearing a sew in weave, so im not sure how much new growth i have, I know its enough that I keep having to rebraid and sew in my hair every weekend...

Im waiting for my lace front once i get it i will than do the baggie challenge...:)

good luck everyone!!!!!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Well I touched up earlier than scheduled due to my travelling schedule the next 3 weekends. I regret my decision to have my stylist do it. I asked for my usual Motions Oil Moisture relaxer in regular. What I got was a no lye box perm. :( (I posted about this experience) I know from previous experience that no lye relaxers cause extreme drynes and frizziness in my hair. I'm praying that I don't suffer any setbacks. My next touch up will be right at the 12 week mark and done by ME!

The good news is I'm alot closer to my goal of bra strap. I also purchased a maxiglide this month. I think that was a good investment for me. I posted pics of my maxiglide results.

I still do the baggie method at night and wear a bun during the day. I'm still keeping to my regimen of wash every 2 to 3 days, deep condition weekly and air dry in a ponytail.

Checking in...

My hair continues to annoy me. It is thick and healthy but its growing slooooowly. I am surging consistently, doing scalp massages and drinking protein shakes so hopefully I will see the results of all of that soon. The only set back that I have are my annoying frizzy ends, they arent split at all there just frizzy...I have no idea what to do about them. I cut my ends all the time yet they are still frizzy...whatever :perplexed

but I am still confident that I will be brastrap at least once b4 I die

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Here I am:

Not much as changed. I posted new comparsion pictures. My hair is getting thicker, plus it isn't breaking as much.

Touched up with Affrim Moistures Plus myself 1 1/2 week ago. Must say that I really like that relaxe. I think that I am going to back to one wash a week and two CO washes a week. I like my hair and it reacts better to rollersets to wash it every other day instead of every 3 days.

MonaLisa

Checking in....approaching 9 weeks post relaxer...doing fine with my Phyto (I think I'm the only one plus two other people..:ohwell: )

I had one major tangle incident (saved by NTM Conditioner) and one minor one last weekend...and they both involved protein usage...so the next....I'd say at least three times water meets my head...it will only involve moisturizing conditioner.

Not worried about growth...just worried about retaining right now. Just moisturizing and quick weaving. I will wear my hair down for an occasion in mid march. Not looking to touch up until late April, the earliest, which would be at 16 weeks.

sweetcakes14

So far soo good! I can't believe that I am now 11 weeks post relaxer. This is the 1st time ever since I've been relaxing my hair that I've gone that long. I normally relax my hair every 8 weeks, but this time around, I've been spraying Sta-Sof Fro on my hair and ends every day (am and pm) and wearing my hair in that boring protective bun or ponytail (w/ the ends tucked in). I did wear my hair down for V-Day. I had gotten a Blow-out and my hair felt soo good. I couldn't keep my hands out of my hair! I hardly have any breakage/shedding which tells me that what I'm doing is working. I CW on the weekends and wash during the week alternating between moisturizing conditioner (Humectress or Salerm Wheat Germ) and AO GPB. I'm getting my relaxer next week so I'll post update pictures then.

jaded_faerie

So far so good! wow we are already on month two...
but i havent used ANY heat since February and I am trying to go a full year with no heat...so i havent been straightening my hair to check on my growth, instead i will take pictures of my hair when it is wet to track any growth i might have....Ive been doing DW and greasing the scalp with S8 and glovers everynight as well as my edges...i will continue to do so. I do have a quick question though...
my hair was underprocessed last time i relaxed*Jan 30*...i want to stretch out my relaxer for 6 months or longer but will that be healthy for my hair since i have three different textures currently and i will not be straightening the new growth?

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
It's the 2nd month Already!

My hair is growing but it seems like it's growing slower than usual :( . I need to start putting my hair in more protective styles so that my ends will have more moisture. I am annoyed with my hair but I am trying to take the best care of that is possible. I think I may be washing too often and need to wash only every 4 days instead of 2.

I am almost 8 weeks post relaxer and will give myself a trim after trying to stretch to 12 weeks. ;)

I'm not sure but when I'm run out of the vitamins I am taking now I want to try GNC Hair Nourisher and and a higher potency of Biotin and B-Complex. Maybe that will give my hair a boost? :D

sweetpeadst

OK second month already whewwwwwwwwwwwwww! Ok I am still in braids my friends have been measuring my new growth she says I have an inch and a half (it is just in the middle b/c I got my edges redone so I am not waking around looking like I have dreads). I was 7 weeks post relaxer when I got my braids as of today I am 18 weeks post relaxer!!!!!!!!! My last perm was October 26,2004. I am very excited to show my progress pics.

AllAboutTheHair

Time flies.

Anyhow, the growth seems to be minimal, but I am natural so it is pretty hard to tell. I am experiencing shedding but no breakage. Still wearing plaits under the wig or scarf. The ends are healthy. I will continue to shampoo weekly and keep implementing the baggie method. HHG.

AATH

jasmin

Nothing really new. I've been pretty consistent with the air drying and bunning. My main focus has been on stopping my shedding and it’s slowed down a lot.

Week one I used Dumb Blonde reconstructor
Week two and three I did CPR. This is when the shedding started to slow up.
This past Sunday I did Emergeence so we will see.

I seem to have some nice growth when I checked last week but for the most part I haven’t been focused on that because of the shedding. My hair is still growing and it's thick...weird.

aqualung

I touched up 02/22/05 at the salon with Mizani. Less shedding than Affirm, but the shampoo girl RIPPED a lot of hair out. I have no length gains to show for since December because of her. :mad:

Time to pump up the growth, as I'll have to trim next touch up.
1. Now I'm back on the protein shakes.
2. I took all my Viviscal and quit biotin. No supplements, but pretty skin.
3. I've added Nioxin Follicle Booster to my routine morning and night. It's too soon to see results besides plastered down and stiff temple hair.

I ought to use LESS product. Fine hair is easy to glue/clump together with too much conditioner. I should also detangle my hair only damp instead of hurrying while it's wet.

ChosenbyGod

Chosen checking in :wave:

Things are going fine, I'm having a lot of shedding though :ohwell:
Tomorrow will be 11 wks. post so you can imagine the fun I'm having keeping the new growth manageable. :lol: What's been working is ponytail rollersets and pincurls. I also throw a bun in here or there during the week. Frequent washings are also a must. This helps keep my new growth softer and manageable. I haven't measured, but it looks like I have close to an inch of new growth. :yep: I just pray that I'm retaining the length I already have. I'm always struggling to keep my ends moist. I believe that my hair will thrive with TLC, and by the grace of God.

Oh, I've recently began taking Biotin so we'll see how that does.

I don't have a camera so I can't post any pics.

Until next month...